Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #51
Snark88
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodave View Post
I guess im freaking out a bit because i want to see it succeed I want a larger dc universe to be shown and the success of this movie will greatly influence that, maybe it is a little early to hit the panic button.
That's my mindset too. I want to see Wonder Woman, Flash and more Green Lantern become big summer movies. But that's not gonna happen if MoS disappoints at the BO. I think it'll rake in a lot of money over the weekend, but this weekend will be judgement day. If the majority of the GA doesn't fawn over the film, it could have a hefty drop the following week.

Let's not forget that World War Z and Monsters University are releasing the very next week. I was expecting MoS to make 600-800 million, but now i'm thinking it's gonna make in the 250 - 500 range. Which isn't bad, but it'll be disappointing to WB.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #52
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Or..........maybe it's not as good as you'd like it to be.
Chicken dinner

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #53
!Superman!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Pretty much everyone at AICN loves it so far, it's got glowing reviews from them all. They don't count on RT, but just in case someone wanted some geek opinions.

is there a reason why they dont count on RT? do they have to review a certain amount of movies before they are accepted or do they have to run naked through the forest or something?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #54
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Or maybe it is!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #55
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
That's my mindset too. I want to see Wonder Woman, Flash and more Green Lantern become big summer movies. But that's not gonna happen if MoS disappoints at the BO.
Not true. The DCU doesn't stand on the merits of MOS alone that's why the only connection there is to other DC characters is a 2 second Easter Egg

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #56
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ok I thought it was clear in my original post but I guess not. That was directed at the reviewers who are comparing this film to the Donnerverse.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #57
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Or maybe it is!
Chicken dinner.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #58
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Superman! View Post
is there a reason why they dont count on RT? do they have to review a certain amount of movies before they are accepted or do they have to run naked through the forest or something?
You have to apply to RT and get accepted before being one of their attributed reviewers. Some people don't apply. It's not an automatic thing.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #59
echostation
Banned User

I've read many of the negative reviews and their gripes are pre-conceived notions for they feel Superman should be.

They don't know the comics, they don't know really anything beyond Donner.

Many yes have criticized pacing issues and there are some here and there but I can point out every single superhero film (including Donner's Superman and TDK) which have pacing issues.

Superhero films in general I think always have pacing issues and to me the pacing and a few of the scenes in the film didn't do anything that detracted me from the picture like others have. I just take it in stride - do I wish they totally ironed those pieces out, sure but overall, I'm SO happy with this film.

I come with the approach here that despite being heavily critical of the marketing - overall I really wanted this film to work given the prior aborted attempts. Had ANY of those other films come around, I guarantee they would have sat in the low 30% range.

This film to me is just so good, seeing it finally, seeing Superman updated, kicking ass and really being a hero. This is a great start for hopefully a great franchise and I feel the sequel will be even ballsier and even more adventurous and break new ground and be bolder with better story telling. That said, this film just works on all the levels it needs to. It's not a perfectly pressed shirt, but it's pretty much there. Just seeing Superman finally PUNCHING the **** out of others, WOW, seeing the range of emotion and seeing Cavill - he's excellent in this. Seriously, the earnestness to the rage. He has it all.

Donner's stuff was terrific and for me yes still holds up but I'm so glad they went in a different direction and really pushed things. The SFX and action are by far the best you will see in a superhero film and I'm so proud of what they've done. It's just such a blast.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Majority of critics probably prefer Donner's approach(as seen with SR's score).

By this weekend we'll probably understand what the GA prefers.
The GA prefers ENTERTAINMENT and action. I hope it will have enough character for me, but I don't think most people are gonna look for the Superman Begins that I want it to be.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #61
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Ok I thought it was clear in my original post but I guess not. That was directed at the reviewers who are comparing this film to the Donnerverse.
Well, STM has resonated for some 30 years, of coarse it's going to be brought up, it's the grand father of all superhero films.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Superman doesn't even rank in my top five heroes so I'm just looking for entertainment. I couldnt care less if Snyder **** on the whole mythos as long as its a good film.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #63
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

It's true that the critics are, for most of them, not geeks, they base their vision of Superman on the Donner movies, and so, if they dont like what MOS does, they will say (and some already do) that this is not what Superman is about when they don't have the faintest idea what is.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #64
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
I've read many of the negative reviews and their gripes are pre-conceived notions for they feel Superman should be.

They don't know the comics, they don't know really anything beyond Donner.

Many yes have criticized pacing issues and there are some here and there but I can point out every single superhero film (including Donner's Superman and TDK) which have pacing issues.

Superhero films in general I think always have pacing issues and to me the pacing and a few of the scenes in the film didn't do anything that detracted me from the picture like others have. I just take it in stride - do I wish they totally ironed those pieces out, sure but overall, I'm SO happy with this film.

I come with the approach here that despite being heavily critical of the marketing - overall I really wanted this film to work given the prior aborted attempts. Had ANY of those other films come around, I guarantee they would have sat in the low 30% range.

This film to me is just so good, seeing it finally, seeing Superman updated, kicking ass and really being a hero. This is a great start for hopefully a great franchise and I feel the sequel will be even ballsier and even more adventurous and break new ground and be bolder with better story telling. That said, this film just works on all the levels it needs to. It's not a perfectly pressed shirt, but it's pretty much there. Just seeing Superman finally PUNCHING the **** out of others, WOW, seeing the range of emotion and seeing Cavill - he's excellent in this. Seriously, the earnestness to the rage. He has it all.

Donner's stuff was terrific and for me yes still holds up but I'm so glad they went in a different direction and really pushed things. The SFX and action are by far the best you will see in a superhero film and I'm so proud of what they've done. It's just such a blast.
IMHO, most here are so down on their luck and are going to go in with lower expectations only to see it and be highly excited and it be everything they've wanted. I call majority right there. Bet on it.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #65
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
This.

Once again, fanboys try to blame the Donnerverse for things that its not responsible for.

First SR failed cause of Donner, now this film is supposedly getting bad reviews because of Donner.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #66
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, STM has resonated for some 30 years, of coarse it's going to be brought up, it's the grand father of all superhero films.
Porche was the father of the Volkswagen Bug but you don't compare a Bug to a porche 911.

This film isn't the donnerverse or even comparable to it. So any critic who takes points off this film for doing something different loses credibility in the review.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #67
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

If the movie doesn't make at minimum 600 million ww, JL isn't happening and a sequel goes from asap to eventually. A tentpole Wonder woman movie becomes a pipe dream.

Regardless of the reviews I can't see this movie making less than 650 million or so. Most males between the ages of 10 and 50 are gonna want to see this. Once anyway.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 06-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #68
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

It's probably going to end up justifying a sequel.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #69
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Porche was the father of the Volkswagen Bug but you don't compare a Bug to a porche 911.
You would if it had Porche logo on it. This is a Superman movie. Of course it's understandable for people to compare it to other Superman movies. They don't have to, but it makes sense to.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #70
!Superman!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
This.

Once again, fanboys try to blame the Donnerverse for things that its not responsible for.

First SR failed cause of Donner, now this film is supposedly getting bad reviews because of Donner.

but the critics compare it to SR and the donner movies !

Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #71
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaleISBatman4ev View Post
Yeah this to me is a 10x more exaggerated version of my hype for Rises... For a while it looked like it may be better than TDK and hence one of the greatest films ever made... then the reviews came in and i had to settle for 2nd best batman movie ever made but 88% is a masterpiece compared to Steel's probably 63-67% finish.

I blame Zack haha
Blame him for what? Execution? Screen play? From the sounds of it he excelled where he always has. I haven't seen the film so cant say whats right and wrong with it but from the clips and trailers I have seen this film is visually stunning.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #72
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
This.

It's not the same in this case at all. Unfair comparisons are being drawn to Donner by the critics themselves.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #73
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Superman! View Post
but the critics compare it to SR and the donner movies !
So?

Was Nolan's Batman not compared to Burton's?

When a new comics writer takes over Superman does he/she not get compared to others who came before?

How exactly is this a bad thing?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #74
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think it's both. I think it's an okay to good movie that goes in a completely different direction than the classic Superman films. I honestly feel like with Superman, critics would only fully embrace it if it were a lighthearted-Donneresque take on the hero. And no, SR was a melodramatic and semi-serious Donneresque take on Superman. But it was close enough to hit the nostalgia triggers.

MOS could be flawed, and I EXPECT it to be, but there isn't that kind of nostalgia-shield that SR had. If SR is overrated by critics and generally criticized by fans, could the reverse be true for MOS?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

This film isn't the donnerverse or even comparable to it. So any critic who takes points off this film for doing something different loses credibility in the review.
That's because no-one knows about Porche being the Bugs father - nor do they care. Maybe the point is it's not about doing things differently, it's about doing them well.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Closed Thread