Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - Part 81

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
...and you know how much money there is in the Philippines?

(anyone know the reply/answer?)
What are you going on about?

This is the best possible news from this country for MOS's 1st day BO gross there....

Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - Part 81

Well, here's a question for those that have seen it and actually liked the film....aside from the action and acting, were you guys invested (overall) in the story that was being told in the film?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - Part 81

If it gets anywhere near 10 million for its run, that's GREAT. IM3 did 15 total in the Philippines.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

It'll be sad if years from now returns is held up as the better superman film.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, here's a question for those that have seen it and actually liked the film....aside from the action and acting, were you guys invested (overall) in the story that was being told in the film?
I personally did. It was a solid origin story with a lot of heart and emotion.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It'll be sad if years from now returns is held up as the better superman film.
Honestly, if that ends up being the case, then one must wonder if anyone can really bring a superman on film that is received well by critics, fans, and the general audiences like Nolan's Batman films were.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
souperman
Side-Dish

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post

This is the best possible news from this country for MOS's 1st day BO gross there....
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman

It is a line from The Odd Couple
When Felix makes a film, the distributor says he can only show it in the Philippines and says:
The Producer replys: (anybody know?)

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Honestly, if that ends up being the case, then one must wonder if anyone can really bring a superman on film that is received well by critics, fans, and the general audiences like Nolan's Batman films were.
Superman may just not be a superhero for our time?

In returns it doesn't work because he's too bland or goody-goody. MOS he's too dark and brooding to be superman.

I think as a character filmmakers just don't know how to fit him into what audiences want?

Batman however is very much a character that resonates with our times and attitudes.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
fake
Side-Kick

Just got out of my screening. Will review once I get home. Initial thoughts - what a freaking movie. Totally awesome, the fights were brilliant, the acting is good all around and it didn't feel long at all despite its length. Loved it completely. More later

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I just read a review on Joblo.com saying this

Quote:
MAN OF STEEL isnít as lighthearted as its predecessors, but thankfully things donít get too moody or grim, as some may have feared considering Nolan and Snyderís track records (you know, not counting the high death toll). The film is as straight-faced as any movie featuring spaceships attacking Kansas can possibly be, but whatís important is that Superman, as a character, is handled very well. Theyíve kept him an optimist and overall humble, likable guy. I wondered if Snyder would steep Superman in darkness, give him the brooding, self-loathing treatment, but his gentle, almost naive nature is salvaged, and his eventually rise to the role of Earthís guardian is earned. Superman is allowed to be Superman. - See more at: http://m.joblo.com/joblo/news/48850#....Fv3ROyBL.dpuf
I think some may be overplaying the dark and brooding nature of the film.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Brad Bird to the rescue.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #14
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Saying Superman isn't a character for our time infers there is a rudimentary problem with the concept of Superman. I don't feel that at all, even in this film. The conceptual elements are all there, waiting to be harvested. It's the execution that is severely lacking.

Superman can be just as relatable nowadays as any other classic character if they film makers properly execute the concepts they've set out to address.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman

It is a line from The Odd Couple
When Felix makes a film, the distributor says he can only show it in the Philippines and says:
The Producer replys: (anybody know?)
Haven't seen it, ever....need to, I've been on a nostalgic trip lately for older movies (mostly 80's action and Westerns).

Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Just got out of my screening. Will review once I get home. Initial thoughts - what a freaking movie. Totally awesome, the fights were brilliant, the acting is good all around and it didn't feel long at all despite its length. Loved it completely. More later

Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Superman may just not be a superhero for our time?

In returns it doesn't work because he's too bland or goody-goody. MOS he's too dark and brooding to be superman.

I think as a character filmmakers just don't know how to fit him into what audiences want?

Batman however is very much a character that resonates with our times and attitudes.
If they are treating MOS as a true franchise trilogy then maybe they planned to have the films work like a serial.

In MOS, he is just becoming Superman and still unsure of how he fits in and how to handle this power.
MOS2 he will be settling too being the HERO and IS Superman and works as Kent and has fun with being Superman.
MOS3 Now mature Superman ,maybe questions if he is helping or hurting the human race.

Last edited by souperman; 06-13-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Saying Superman isn't a character for our time infers there is a rudimentary problem with the concept of Superman. I don't feel that at all, even in this film. The conceptual elements are all there, waiting to be harvested. It's the execution that is severely lacking.

Superman can be just as relatable nowadays as any other classic character if they film makers properly execute the concepts they've set out to address.
Well different ideas inherent in a character are more relevant to different times. It depends on the social zeitgeist and events of the times your in. Certain superheros do work better in different times. Captain America being a prime example.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
More positive reactions from regular folks??!??!??!

Me thinks this will play as a crowd-pleaser. Sounds encouraging when you step out of the haze of smelly tomatoes and let the GA judge for themselves.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I just read a review on Joblo.com saying this

I think some may be overplaying the dark and brooding nature of the film.
I frequent another forum called HFBoards that has a MoS thread, and one guy got his panties in a bunch about how Superman/Clark was dark to the point where the term "dark" and "brooding" was bastardized. He even purposefully rejects positive reviews that highlight how he wasn't dark at all.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post
Haven't seen it, ever....need to, I've been on a nostalgic trip lately for older movies (mostly 80's action and Westerns).

From the TV show, even better than the movie.

The reply is:

...I've got enough bamboo.

Don't blame me...that's Norman Lear!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

I told you fake. It's a good movie

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Well different ideas inherent in a character are more relevant to different times. It depends on the social zeitgeist and events of the times your in. Certain superheros do work better in different times. Captain America being a prime example.
True, but Superman fundamentally has very, very relatable elements that are timeless. Isolation, compassion in the face of adversity, the adoptee angle, duality of man. These are all present in MOS, I just felt they were lightly glossed over in lieu of action.

Even the whole "American way" aspect was used as a throwaway towards the end of the film. And it served no purpose in relation to the rest of the film.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post

I don't think it's a rudimentary problem as much as it is a societal issue, I mean look at superheroes like Iron Man and Batman. Why are they consistently popular? Because they are flawed heroes, and that's perfect for our cynical society, as paradoxical as it sounds.

Superman (as source material) is a reflection of all good that is possible within us, but our mainstream society refuses to accept it because it believes that no one is capable of being that good without ulterior motives. Moreover, you have the superhuman element, which only furthers the ability to relate to him (not that I agree, especially with isolation, outsiders, coming-of-age, and finding a place in an new world are key themes).

Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

If Supes ain't being dorky, then he must be emo.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Closed Thread