The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #101
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - Part 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Clips of the Supermen over the years, including TAS Superman, set to the opening of Planet Krypton. Then they went into a new trailer, with ridiculous new footage.
Cool. Thanks.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #102
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - Part 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
That little trailer doesn't do the movie justice.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #103
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Cool opening.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #104
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Btw; did the fighting between Superman and..

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nam-ek come off kind of fake at times, in the sense where they used a lot more CGI doubles for them when showing them fight. I only say that because Nam-ek is already a CGI character due to how tall he has to be in the actual film and judging by how they filmed this thing, it'd be pretty hard to have Cavil and the mo-cap guy portraying Nam-ek shown duking it out in an practical way as opposed to filming a fighting scene between Shannon and Cavil.

Also, who would you say gave Superman a run for his money when it came to fighting between: Faora, Nam-ek, or Zod?

Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #105
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have missed your post. Have you seen it? Did you like it? What was your favorite bit?

And if possible, can you tell me why the finale is apparently very long but the showdown not so much? What is Superman doing the entire time before fighting Zod?

Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #106
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Btw; did the fighting between Superman and..

Nam-ek come off kind of fake at times, in the sense where they used a lot more CGI doubles for them when showing them fight. I only say that because Nam-ek is already a CGI character due to how tall he has to be in the actual film and judging by how they filmed this thing, it'd be pretty hard to have Cavil and the mo-cap guy portraying Nam-ek shown duking it out in an practical way as opposed to filming a fighting scene between Shannon and Cavil.

Also, who would you say gave Superman a run for his money when it came to fighting between: Faora, Nam-ek, or Zod?
1.) Honestly, it did, but it was expected. But, they did make pretty smooth transitions from CGI doubles to the actual person. 2.) It's hard to say, but I would honestly say Faora. She gives him quite a beating and Supes returns the favor.

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #107
antonydelfini
Night Stalker

BOX OFFICE REPORT: PHILIPPINES

The new, origin film of Superman flew off to a blockbuster start yesterday as “Man of Steel” surpassed the industry's all-time opening day record with a nationwide gross of a monumental P69.52-M.

“Man of Steel's” phenomenal debut bested the opening day record previously established only last April by “Iron Man 3” at P62.9-million.

This was announced today by Francis Soliven, general manager of Warner Bros. (F.E.), Inc. which distributed the film. “This is a day of reckoning for Superman,” added Soliven. “He's a larger-than-life character beloved by millions of Filipinos, and this was proven today. Fans and families welcomed him back overwhelmingly as evidenced by the long lines, the ubiquitous Superman shirts everywhere, and the cheers at the end of screenings.”

Dominating the over all box-office with a 94 percent share, “Man of Steel” also posted the biggest opening day gross ever for Warner Bros. whose previous best first-day performer was “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” at P28.3-million.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #108
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:
I have missed your post. Have you seen it? Did you like it? What was your favorite bit?

And if possible, can you tell me why the finale is apparently very long but the showdown not so much? What is Superman doing the entire time before fighting Zod?
I absolutely loved it. It definitely met my expectations and then some. But the actual showdown is very long. Zod and Superman just destroy it each other in the last 40 minutes.

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #109
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
1.) Honestly, it did, but it was expected. But, they did make pretty smooth transitions from CGI doubles to the actual person. 2.) It's hard to say, but I would honestly say Faora. She gives him quite a beating and Supes returns the favor.
I was afraid of that:

I could already tell that they probably weren't using that many practical effects to create the punches exchanged between Superman and Nam-ek due to Nam-ek being mainly an CGI character, along with how Superman's fighting style is like.

Well that, and the fact that we haven't seen any shots of them fighting where at least one of them, namely Superman, wasn't an CGI double. I'm having flashbacks to the Matrix fights between Neo and Smith.lol

Instead of making him 9 feet tall, it would have been better to get someone like that wrestler dude, Nathan Jones, who was in Troy (he was the tall dude who first got killed by Brad Pitt) and just add some prosthetic to his face to give him a grotesque (genetic freak/monster) look so that they could stage a better fight between Superman and Nam-ek.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #110
Andreth
Side-Kick

I just came back
I'm so angry and disappointed....

lol just kidding, I really, REALLY liked it, yes, it has flaws but the good overshadows the weak aspects. I left with a huge grin on my face.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #111
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
I just came back

lol just kidding, I really, REALLY liked it, yes, it has flaws but the good overshadows the weak aspects. I left with a huge grin on my face.

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #112
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just came back

And the weaker aspects were?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #113
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:
I was afraid of that:

I could already tell that they probably weren't using that many practical effects to create the punches exchanged between Superman and Nam-ek due to Nam-ek being mainly an CGI character, along with how Superman's fighting style is like.

Well that, and the fact that we haven't seen any shots of them fighting where at least one of them, namely Superman, wasn't an CGI double. I'm having flashbacks to the Matrix fights between Neo and Smith.lol

Instead of making him 9 feet tall, it would have been better to get someone like that wrestler dude, Nathan Jones, who was in Troy (he was the tall dude who first got killed by Brad Pitt) and just add some prosthetic to his face to give him a grotesque (genetic freak/monster) look so that they could stage a better fight between Superman and Nam-ek.
Haha it's funny that you mentioned Nathan Jones. I met him back at WrestleMania 19 10 years ago. That dude is HUGE. I think it would have been a better to get him or someone like him to play Nam-Ek, but I'm not particularly bothered by it.

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #114
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I absolutely loved it. It definitely met my expectations and then some. But the actual showdown is very long. Zod and Superman just destroy it each other in the last 40 minutes.
Glad you enjoyed. It still makes me nervous though that the final is so long and I am hearing about pacing problems with the pre-Superman stuff. How coherent would you say the early stuff is? Does it transition well, or does it jump all over the place?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #115
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha it's funny that you mentioned Nathan Jones. I met him back at WrestleMania 19 10 years ago. That dude is HUGE. I think it would have been a better to get him or someone like him to play Nam-Ek, but I'm not particularly bothered by it.
In my top 3 WM. Love the look of it, and the HBK/Jericho match is one of my all time favorites.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #116
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed. It still makes me nervous though that the final is so long and I am hearing about pacing problems with the pre-Superman stuff. How coherent would you say the early stuff is? Does it transition well, or does it jump all over the place?
You know, thinking more and more about it, it's like Batman Begins where the first hour is the origin stuff, but it's kind of jumpy. The first act is the origin, the second is the character progression, and the third is an all-out war.

Quote:
In my top 3 WM. Love the look of it, and the HBK/Jericho match is one of my all time favorites.
Yes!

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #117
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
And the weaker aspects were?

Jonathan's death was the worst thing in the movie for me. Geez, that was awful IMO I can't say I loved the movie because of that.
Zod was a little bit of a disappointment too. And while I'm convinced that Snyder is a great visual artist, there were moments when his direction left a lot to be desired.

BUT, I don't agree with the harsh reviews some critics are giving it.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #118
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

16 more hours

Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #119
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Agreed; I think before the character designs were revealed for the mo-cap people, let alone the identity of their characters in general, I was really hoping that they'd turn out to look like something that was very menacing and frightening to behold.

I really wanted to see Superman fight against a few foes that looked very intimidating, ala Darth Maul or even a Flying Wraith from the LOTR series, so when I saw the final design for the character, I was kind of disappointed by it.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #120
TheNextNolan22
Dangerously

Quote:

Jonathan's death was the worst thing in the movie for me. Geez, that was awful IMO I can't say I loved the movie because of that.
Zod was a little bit of a disappointment too. And while I'm convinced that Snyder is a great visual artist, there were moments when his direction left a lot to be desired.

Really?
I thought Jonathan's arc was the weakest aspect of the film for me. Inconsistent, IMO.

Dats dat.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #121
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really?
I thought Jonathan's arc was the weakest aspect of the film for me. Inconsistent, IMO.
Didn't you guys just agree?

Spill

Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #122
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thanks for the info. And considering all the disappointment in Pa Kent's death scene, I have to wonder why they chose to make that scene the way it is.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #123
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Bummer.

I had really hoped that Jonathan's death would be emotional to watch but based on what everyone's saying, the way it was written and executed on screen leaves a lot to be desired, which sucks considering on how important that moment is supposed to be for Superman's upbringing.

I'm surprised that I haven't really heard anyone commenting about whether the sequence for Krypton's destruction and the deaths of Superman's parents was emotional or not. Judging by how no one's really mentioned about it, I guess it didn't click with people emotionally, a lot like Bruce Wayne's parents death in BB

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #124
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Bummer.

I had really hoped that Jonathan's death would be emotional to watch but based on what everyone's saying, the way it was written and executed on screen leaves a lot to be desired, which sucks considering on how important that moment is supposed to be for Superman's upbringing.

I'm surprised that I haven't really heard anyone commenting about whether the sequence for Krypton's destruction and the deaths of Superman's parents was emotional or not. Judging by how no one's really mentioned about it, I guess it didn't click with people emotionally, a lot like Bruce Wayne's parents death in BB
Really? That scene kills me in Begins.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #125
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really?
I totally agree.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. And considering all the disappointment in Pa Kent's death scene, I have to wonder why they chose to make that scene the way it is.

I honestly have no idea, seriously WHAT THE HECK, he freaking died
for saving a ----! sorry I don't wanna spoil it, you'll know how to fill in the blanks when you see it
oh my god, and Clark just stood there, I can't even write about it without getting angry

But leaving that aside and the fact that I didn't cared for Zod at all, I think that harsh criticism is really unfair, I feel like they're trying to bring down the movie with malice. I just, I don't know. It's not perfect but damn some reviews are horrible.

ANyway, just go watch it for yourselves, I was very down in the morning but now it's all different

And as a Lois Lane fan I'm very pleased with her new role and dynamic with Clark/Kal. I'm gonna confess that when she was cast I was a little disappointed but wow, Amy was fantastic, she truly is a great actress. The other two females were great too. Antje and Diane. Antje impressed me too.

TRUEBLOOD

Last edited by Andreth; 06-13-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Closed Thread