Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #101
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
No, not only positives, there were some negatives too, but very positive overall, and people who praised it weren't just fanboys or anything, it's not because it's previews that people lose their ability to judge something appropriately.
I never mentioned previews. I mentioned the embargo where a studio has a certain amount of control over what is said.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #102
db85usa
HeHe!

Do my eyes deceive me? Did it seriously just go flipping rotten?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #103
Ozymandias
The World's Smartest Man

It's back up to 60% on RT!!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #104
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k View Post
I don't think it's superhero fatigue at all. I think it's "brooder" fatigue. Everything has to be so serious and dark these days. We had three Batman movies with this but that was understandable since it's the nature of the character. Now "mope" and "gloom" seem to be trendy. Now Spider-man is doing it. Now Superman is doing it. Wolverine? Probably. It seems only Marvel is bucking that trend and having a balance with humor where things don't get so serious.
Some one please explain to me where these serious and darker and brooder films are? Besides the Dark Knight Trilogy and Watchmen, name them?

Please...

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #105
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockin View Post
If you do a Twitter search of "man of steel" the second smart search keyword that comes up is "man of steel sucks" oof. Not great for WOM. I'm going tonight though and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Just like the word "gay" appears after ever every actor's name search.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #106
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Stop blaming other movies for the faults of MOS. everyone is willing to accept a different take on superman
Nope, you can tell they have their different notions going in. Thus, the score is lowER than it should be if everyone is going in blank slates. It's foolish to deny "not my Superman" isn't affecting things.

Not saying everyone should believe this movie has no failings. "Not my Superman" makes the difference from "good to fair" and "fair to rotten".

Last edited by Gavan; 06-13-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #107
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Even the positive reviews have criticized its lack of fun. This is clearly an issue with the film.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #108
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Back up to 60%!
Now, it's gambling time

Will it go Fresh or Rotten?...Place your bets

Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #109
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace1 View Post
by TransformersINC

quote-

It's funny that all the negative reviews sound like positives to me. Too much action? Want. It's an action movie with depth (they say that's a negative because action movies aren't supposed to be "deep")? Want. Not cheesy enough? Want. Not like the Chris Reeve films? Want.

^This. Me and my group had Superman-night last night. My fiance' baked a cake and everything. Popped in Superman II and I started to realize how BAD, BAD, BAD it's outdated. Being a diehard Supes fan, I love it, but being in the room full of people who aren't and can't wait to see this movie, it's so cheesy that inside-embarrassment set in. The campness and cheesiness of Reeve's character is a thing of the past and facepalm worthy to other people not understanding that era. Lots of laughs making fun of it, not with it. Nons groans and cackling were unbearable in a room full of others.

Love the Donner-verse, but it's way behind me. If it's anything like SR or 1978-80, audiences are in for a drawn out bore and laugh. I'm ready for the next step. BRING ON THE SERIOUSNESS.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #110
ЯɘvlveR
Morocco Bob-omb

so, mos isn't fun and there's too much action? does that even make sense? i don't know i tend to equate 'splosions with fun. that''s just me though.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #111
Snark88
Side-Kick

Dry Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Back up to 60%!
Don't get used to it.

I hate to be Buzz Killington over here, but i'm sure everyone else has notice the pattern that's been going on for the past 24 hours. The RT rating has been on a steady decline, and whenever 1-2 positives come out raising the score by 1%, negatives almost immediately come in to bring the rating right back down. What's gonna happen here is that the RT score will probably continue to go down.

I can't predict the future, but a final overall rotten score is kinda assured at this point

Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #112
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
Now, it's gambling time

Will it go Fresh or Rotten?...Place your bets
Fresh!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #113
Anjow1060
Rattling the cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
so, mos isn't fun and there's too much action? does that even make sense? i don't know i tend to equate 'splosions with fun. that''s just me though.
When the "action" is horribly photographed with zoomtype jump cuts, the people are all CGI Gumby figures and the rest of the movie doesn't make the most of it's time to make you really become emotionally invested about the characters... yes, it makes sense.

- Jow

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #114
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
You people don't really understand what the reviews say, do you? The action is said to be too much for its own good. It is described as overlong and tiring; and the movie is mostly described as HEAVY and too SOMBER, while failing to be actually DEEP (and this is also due to the fact that attempts at something deeper get eaten up by the overlong action at the end).
It looks to suffer from poor pacing, and less than stellar writing. As far as the direction goes, this might be overblown and less than subtle.

I don't expect to see a bad movie, just not the dream film I was expecting.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #115
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
It's probably the Michael Bay effect where he overdoes his 'splosions ad nauseum and after awhile it turns into the same thing over and over with a lot of noise.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #116
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I never mentioned previews. I mentioned the embargo where a studio has a certain amount of control over what is said.
Apparently, it's the Nolan clause, embargo in place till 5 days before release.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #117
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
Don't get used to it.

I hate to be Buzz Killington over here, but i'm sure everyone else has notice the pattern that's been going on for the past 24 hours. The RT rating has been on a steady decline, and whenever 1-2 positives come out raising the score by 1%, negatives almost immediately come in to bring the rating right back down. What's gonna happen here is that the RT score will probably continue to go down.

I can't predict the future, but a final overall rotten score is kinda assured at this point
VOICE OF DOOM^ Seriously dude, it's time to get off Rotten Tomatoes. Did you see the movie yet? If not, I suggest you find out for yourself and don't like percentages cloud your way of enjoyment. It's unhealthy.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #118
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
It can very well be. Action doesn't necessarily equate "fun." It's all about HOW you do stuff, not what you do. I, for example, found the finale of The Avengers to be quite tedious and overlong (after the first 10 minutes of slapping robot/aliens, I stopped caring), and thought it lacked "oomph" (which is whay maybe I'll enjoy the action in MOS more, who knows...).

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #119
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Even the positive reviews have criticized its lack of fun. This is clearly an issue with the film.
People have different notions of fun.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #120
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Back up to 60%!
Is it sad that I am relieved by this.

Seeing that green splat is disturbing.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #121
Ozymandias
The World's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjow1060 View Post
When the "action" is horribly photographed with zoomtype jump cuts, the people are all CGI Gumby figures and the rest of the movie doesn't make the most of it's time to make you really become emotionally invested about the characters... yes, it makes sense.

- Jow
I've said it once and I'll say it again: I couldn't disagree with you more having seen the movie.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #122
macphisto96
Side-Kick

From Steve Persall of the Tampa Bay Times (formerly the St. Pete Times - my hometown paper):

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do...legend/2126392

Quote:
Overall it's a smart start to what should be the next big superhero franchise, with Christian Bale done, Robert Downey Jr. eyeing the door, and Tobey Maguire's replacement not impressing much. Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew.
I grew up with Persall, so I have a very good idea of the things he likes and doesn't like. He's not usually a big comic book fan. He called Avengers fun, but brawny and lamebrainy. Even so, he gave it a B+ because it was a great popcorn flick with a lame villain (his words).

He gave Man Of Steel an A.

I've been reading Persall's reviews for about 20 years, since I was a teenager. I've met him a few times. I don't agree with him on his film selection, but I can always tell from his film reviews if I will like a movie or not.

Man Of Steel has ZERO issues if Steve Persall gave it an A.

For comparison's sake, Persall gave Avengers a B+, Dark Knight Rises a B, The Dark Knight an A (same as Man Of Steel), Captain America a B, and Thor a B-.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #123
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
Don't get used to it.

VOICE OF DOOM^ Seriously dude, it's time to get off Rotten Tomatoes. Did you see the movie yet? If not, I suggest you find out for yourself and don't let percentages cloud your way of enjoyment. It's unhealthy. For the most part, it's critical because it didn't live up to the pedestal we put it on for critics to claim. Personally we can all still benefit with met expectations.

It's called SEEING IT before judging it. I predict great BO numbers. We'll see a change in attitude if those numbers roll in.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #124
Anjow1060
Rattling the cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again: I couldn't disagree with you more having seen the movie.

lol having seen the movie too... I say you're allowed to your opinion. I'm glad you enjoyed the flick. Wish I could have too.

- Jow

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #125
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Nothing is wrong with serious or lots of action. But there is such thing as TOO serious and TOO much action to the point it becomes a fault.