The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > The Comics

View Poll Results: man of steel as the new comics foundation over Didio.and Lee's 52
Yes. Man of Steel as a concept is what id like to see in the comics 2 100.00%
No. I'm a fan of the new 52. keep it 0 0%
I'd like elements of both 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Default should the comics change to mirror the movie

Personally, I strongly Dislike What DiDio And Lee Have Done With Superman In Their 52 Reboot. Id LIke To See It scrapped And Replaced With The Concept Of Man Of steel..... Starting With The Costume.

Your Thoughts?

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Man-of-Tomorrow
Newbie First Class

Default Re: should the comics change to mirror the movie

I enjoyed the New 52 origin well enough, but I deeply disliked what Morrison did with the rest of his run.
I absolutely loved Man of Steel. Especially given what Lee's MoS converted drawings from "For Tomorrow," I would love to see that as the permanent suit!
I can't see it happening, but I would love MoS to be adapted into the official origin.
I would not resolve the Zod problem as in the movie, though. I love him as a villain, and I think DC would need him to share the fate of his subordinates.

That said I have enjoyed "Superman," post-Morrison "Action," and "Unchained." A lot of great stuff so far, especially in Unchained.

Man-of-Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
smallville fan
Hero

Wait so the new 52 look came from Man of Steel? Sorry if it came across as stupid, I am actually learning this for the first time.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
jocal62
Bass Guitar and Vocals

The New 52 Superman costume is the worst there is and the worst there will ever be. Jim Lee just destroyed the Superman mythos with a Chinese-collared Superman costume. Of what use is a Chinese collar to Superman? Just because Jim Lee is of Chinese descent means his Superman take should be Chinese influenced?

It is only because of Jim Lee's Superman costume that I totally avoided The New 52 series.

jocal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

...I'm pretty sure Lee is Korean.Just sayin'.....

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Man-of-Tomorrow
Newbie First Class

.... A lot of people don't like the new 52 suit, but calling the collar Chinese is definitely a new one for me.......
Anyway, Smallville Fan, the drawings I am referring to are a series of drawings by Jim Lee that reworked classic drawings of his ( from the Azzarello/Lee "For Tomorrow") featuring the Man of Steel suit.
The new 52 and MoS suit have little to do with each other.

Man-of-Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm not fond of a lot of things in the New 52 including Superman's new suit, Lois being pushed back as a love interest in favor of Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark apparently not working for the DP anymore, the fact that people apparently still don't trust Superman even though he has been active for many years now, the Justice League turning more into "Superman & friends, etc.

I wouldn't mind having the comics be more like MoS for the better. MoS itself is a modern imagining of Superman meant to introduce the character to a new generation so the idea of making the current comics more like it is not that bad. I thought they found a great balance between Superman's god-like presence and humanity. They established Superman as a powerful God towering above all humans while still remembering the fact that on the inside, Superman is human before he is Kryptonian and is a moral man from Kansas. The New 52 lacks that balance most of the time. Their Superman is often on one side or the other from what I've read.

Plus, MoS was heavily influenced by the John Byrne run. It would be nice to see some of that stuff come back.

I don't see a problem with making the comics more like MoS. If Marvel is allowed to have a fetish of making their comics more like the movies despite it being completely unnecessary in most of their cases, I don't see why DC can't. If anything, DC should take advantage of whenever a film version of their character is successful on the big screen since they often struggle with their characters in the comics more than Marvel does (not always but on average).

But then again, I've never been a big Superman fan to begin with. A hardcore Superman fan might feel differently.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I'm not fond of a lot of things in the New 52 including Superman's new suit, Lois being pushed back as a love interest in favor of Wonder Woman, Lois and Clark apparently not working for the DP anymore, the fact that people apparently still don't trust Superman even though he has been active for many years now, the Justice League turning more into "Superman & friends, etc.

I wouldn't mind having the comics be more like MoS for the better. MoS itself is a modern imagining of Superman meant to introduce the character to a new generation so the idea of making the current comics more like it is not that bad. I thought they found a great balance between Superman's god-like presence and humanity. They established Superman as a powerful God towering above all humans while still remembering the fact that on the inside, Superman is human before he is Kryptonian and is a moral man from Kansas. The New 52 lacks that balance most of the time. Their Superman is often on one side or the other from what I've read.

Plus, MoS was heavily influenced by the John Byrne run. It would be nice to see some of that stuff come back.

I don't see a problem with making the comics more like MoS. If Marvel is allowed to have a fetish of making their comics more like the movies despite it being completely unnecessary in most of their cases, I don't see why DC can't. If anything, DC should take advantage of whenever a film version of their character is successful on the big screen since they often struggle with their characters in the comics more than Marvel does (not always but on average).

But then again, I've never been a big Superman fan to begin with. A hardcore Superman fan might feel differently.
I felt Man of Steel's story line mostly borrowed from Superman: Earth One as well as some cues taken from Superman: Brainiac and Death & Return of Superman and a pinch of Birthright. I mean if you replace Tyrell with Zod you almost have the same story. Clark acts as a drifter, the world he lives in is rather bleak and cynical and the designs of the spaceships, the action, how Metropolis looks after the big battle etc comes from Earth One.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I for sure think the comics need to adopt MOS suit. The one they have now is atrocious and makes it look like be is wearing a diaper.
As for the thing I will no longer mention, I hope the movies NEVER bring her in EVER!

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

i honestly feel as if its the other way around at the moment

Xak-Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

No. Movies should always be influenced by and follow comic books... with every property all the time. it is what movies are based upon. the farther you get from source material the worse the film medium and the comics medium becomes.