The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Man of Steel rating out of 10
10 69 15.47%
9 149 33.41%
8 108 24.22%
7 61 13.68%
6 37 8.30%
5 9 2.02%
4 4 0.90%
3 5 1.12%
2 1 0.22%
1 3 0.67%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #351
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
best superman movie for me but also i hated returns and i dont like the reeve movies at all so it also wins by default aswell

9/10
But MOS took a lot from Donner movies, quotes, plot, characters, the Jesus parallels...




Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I don't get why people seem to think the Lois/Superman stuff was rushed. I didn't get that at all.
I agree. And Lois was above the average superhero movie love interest.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #352
blumatic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 563
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
But MOS took a lot from Donner movies, quotes, plot, characters, the Jesus parallels...






I agree. And Lois was above the average superhero movie love interest.
I love how they did Lois in this movie. She was Superman's partner in crime. They had an adventure together. They is a trust and bond and those two things are the foundation of a loving relationship.

In so many iterations of Superman, Supes and Clark had to play these games with lois. Supes wanted Lois to love Clark, but Lois loved Superman. But Superman could never acknowledged that he knew of Clark, and Clark is busy downplaying Superman to Lois. Im glad that's out the way.

Lois can help Clark trust in humanity.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #353
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,893
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I love how they did Lois in this movie. She was Superman's partner in crime. They had an adventure together. They is a trust and bond and those two things are the foundation of a loving relationship.

In so many iterations of Superman, Supes and Clark had to play these games with lois. Supes wanted Lois to love Clark, but Lois loved Superman. But Superman could never acknowledged that he knew of Clark, and Clark is busy downplaying Superman to Lois. Im glad that's out the way.

Lois can help Clark trust in humanity.
Yup. New approach!!! N nicely done.

N
Maybe they can introduce lana lang to form the triangular love relationship again.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #354
kalhawj
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 607
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Hands down the best Superman movie ever. As a fan of the hero I finally get to see a movie where we get to see him in all his glory. Best action sequence of all CBM + some really emotional scene that got me choked up... Cannot wait for MOS 2 and the rest of DCU movie.

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #355
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,893
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Hands down the best Superman movie ever. As a fan of the hero I finally get to see a movie where we get to see him in all his glory. Best action sequence of all CBM + some really emotional scene that got me choked up... Cannot wait for MOS 2 and the rest of DCU movie.
Ya, a cool superman finally... in which the people won't poke fun n joke about anymore.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #356
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Ya, a cool superman finally... in which the people won't poke fun n joke about anymore.
Haven't you got the memes?


Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 06-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #357
godisawesome
Side-Kick
 
godisawesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Memes are half the fun.

But uh.... What are the most popular ones? I figure "I WILL FIND HIM!" Is one, any others?

__________________
“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #358
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,760
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
just watch the movie like what you have done to any other movies...
don't judge it while watching. i think it will do u a lot better.
I didn't go into it to "judge it". I went into it for enjoyment, and found a joyless, inspiration-less film featuring a character that happened to be named Superman. Also, it's impossible not to cast judgement upon a film while watching it. As a paying consumer, it's kind of your purpose to evaluate the product for which you pay.

I wasn't happy with my purchase, but a lot of people were. Live and let live.

__________________
Check out my comics!
www.highburn.com

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #359
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
Memes are half the fun.

But uh.... What are the most popular ones? I figure "I WILL FIND HIM!" Is one, any others?
"What does the S stand for?"
"Sex."

Better than anything comical written by Goyer.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #360
supes
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

I just saw it again for the second time today. Although the theater wasn't packed, people were cheering and laughing at all the right spots. I loved this movie the first time, but admittedly, my expectations were through the roof. After seeing it a second time a few days later, I liked it even better than the first time. The pace seemed to work much better and many things that I thought weren't quite explained actually were to my satisfaction. At the end of the day, this is a great Superman movie. Very psyched that it turned out so well.

supes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #361
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,729
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

As a long-time Superman fan, Man of Steel has been my most anticipated movie for the last few years. I've been absolutely dying to see the film but was away all weekend so only got a chance to catch a viewing today.

Still trying to absorb it all, but overall - amazing. Solid 9/10 from me (maybe even a 9.5) and probably my favourite comic book movie. I had a few slight quibbles, but the good stuff totally outweighs the miniscule flaws I had with it. I'll write a proper review once I've had time to think the film through and see it again, but for now I'm just happy that we're finally got a film worthy of the character after such a long wait.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #362
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,278
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

I really enjoyed MOS myself. I can agree that espcially towards the end that the action scenes started to become excessive, but otherwise I think this was a good fresh take on Superman.

I'm really looking forward to where they take this incarnation of the character in the future.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #363
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,665
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

I was as nervous as hell when I sat down to watch this movie but can happily report that I loved it. All the things that bothered so many of the critics, the pacing, emotional coldness, lack of levity, overdone action sequences, didn't trouble me in the slightest.

Cavill was the cast's standout for me. He had me convinced that he was Superman.

The movie wasn't perfect but I believe it deserved a better RT score than it got. I give MOS 9/10.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #364
davejames
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 243
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Wow, nice to see the vast majority of people still giving this movie an 8 or a 9.

Considering how ultra-nitpicky and hard to please comic book fans can usually be, that's pretty impressive!

davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #365
GarudA
Side-Kick
 
GarudA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

I give it a 8/10. It would of been higher, if not for a few nit picks.

I enjoyed the movie and liked it a lot. But I had a few problems with it.

The Editing/Story format was not that great, I found the jumping from scene to scene without a build up to it or explaining how they got to a certain scene puzzling.

The action scenes were a bit too fast and kind of blury when I watched in 3D.

The shakey camera effect, did not like it at all. I hope it is not in the sequel.

And

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I did not like the way Jonathen Kent died. Clark should of saved him regardless of what Jonathan wanted. It should not of mattered if a few dozen people saw him use his powers, his fathers life should of been more important. Jonathan should of either been alive or died the way he did in Superman 1.

GarudA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #366
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Still 10/10, but rather than just one of my favorite movies - it IS my favorite movie. Also for those thinking I haven't seen many -- screenwriter here with having seen over a thousand. Go to the theaters twice to three times a week, and always get around 30 dvds out from the library, and etc. And I stand by this literally being my favorite movie.

I love movies that deal with themes of adoption because it's what I relate to being an adoptee. This movie captured that spirit and essence more than any other movie I've seen before, and I search them out readily. I love classic sci-fi movies and alien invasion movies. This movie captured that on the edge of your seat and amazement I've been searching for. Independence Day was my favorite alien invasion movie before and this one ups it. Being an adoptee I have always looked at superheroes as role models, they're all similarly orphaned and manage to find their way - I've always found that inspiring and superheroes are really what fuels and drives me. TDKR tapped into this (and is my second favorite superhero movie of all time), whereas this went there full force and I loved every second of it. To me superheroes are the figures you're told and tell others who were orphaned about - because here are these mythic figures who similarly lost their parents in one way or another and while they still have grief over it, they don't let it fuel them and they use being an outsider in this world to help others and to rise above themselves to find where they fit in - so superheroes have always been about more than just the cool things someone can do and they are the most inspiring thing in my life because being orphaned I really needed that hope and that's what heroes give me. I'm a Star Wars fan who loves new worlds and Krypton certainly had that in spades. And I love innovative action sequences that I've never seen before and this is that and more. Basically it has everything I look for in a movie: adoptee themes (or themes that I can relate to), gets the essence of what I see in superheroes, took me someplace I've never been yet also had it in my own back yard, and it's innovative.

So with having all of that, I can readily say that this is my favorite movie of all time and it will be hard to top and the only film I see topping it is MOS 2. It's actually the first movie that I can readily say is my number one favorite, because before this all favorite movies have been readily tied. It just, as said, has everything I personally look for. It's like being given something that has every single one of your favorite things in it. Typically it's only a couple of these aspects, but here it - for the first time - it checked off every box.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 06-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #367
113
Side-Kick
 
113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 933
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

After seeing it a 2nd time in IMAX 3D a few hours ago I'm I think it's even better. I can't give anything a perfect 10, but I'd give this a 9.3 instead of the 9.0 I gave it before.

Also, it's now just below Batman Begins. BB still is a better overall film, but just slightly. MoS is better than Avengers and TDK in my eyes though.

113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #368
Drewbee87
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 140
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

9/10

Drewbee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #369
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,893
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
I didn't go into it to "judge it". I went into it for enjoyment, and found a joyless, inspiration-less film featuring a character that happened to be named Superman. Also, it's impossible not to cast judgement upon a film while watching it. As a paying consumer, it's kind of your purpose to evaluate the product for which you pay.

I wasn't happy with my purchase, but a lot of people were. Live and let live.
sorry to hear that and you can't enjoy it as much as we do.

or maybe... you already have a story mapped in your mind before watching?

sorry if you think i'm annoying in convincing u.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #370
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,200
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

After numerous viewings, this is my top ten for now:

1. TDK Trilogy (I view them as a package deal, although TDK is #1 overall)
2. MoS
3. IM (My less than favorable opinion of the sequels can't diminish this classic)
4. The Avengers
5. Batman '89 (perhaps strictly from nostalgia, but I still love this)
6. Spider-man Trilogy (Once again as a package, AND equal. Yes, even SM3)
7. X-men First Class
8. Watchmen
9. X2
10. A History of Violence/Unbreakable (Tie, and the same sort of "superhero" film)

I thought it might be prisoner of the moment situation, but I'm honestly really fond of this film, and it's Superman as I've always wanted to see him.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 06-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #371
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Still 10/10, but rather than just one of my favorite movies - it IS my favorite movie. Also for those thinking I haven't seen many -- screenwriter here with having seen over a thousand. Go to the theaters twice to three times a week, and always get around 30 dvds out from the library, and etc. And I stand by this literally being my favorite movie.

I love movies that deal with themes of adoption because it's what I relate to being an adoptee. This movie captured that spirit and essence more than any other movie I've seen before, and I search them out readily. I love classic sci-fi movies and alien invasion movies. This movie captured that on the edge of your seat and amazement I've been searching for. Independence Day was my favorite alien invasion movie before and this one ups it. Being an adoptee I have always looked at superheroes as role models, they're all similarly orphaned and manage to find their way - I've always found that inspiring and superheroes are really what fuels and drives me. TDKR tapped into this (and is my second favorite superhero movie of all time), whereas this went there full force and I loved every second of it. To me superheroes are the figures you're told and tell others who were orphaned about - because here are these mythic figures who similarly lost their parents in one way or another and while they still have grief over it, they don't let it fuel them and they use being an outsider in this world to help others and to rise above themselves to find where they fit in - so superheroes have always been about more than just the cool things someone can do and they are the most inspiring thing in my life because being orphaned I really needed that hope and that's what heroes give me. I'm a Star Wars fan who loves new worlds and Krypton certainly had that in spades. And I love innovative action sequences that I've never seen before and this is that and more. Basically it has everything I look for in a movie: adoptee themes (or themes that I can relate to), gets the essence of what I see in superheroes, took me someplace I've never been yet also had it in my own back yard, and it's innovative.

So with having all of that, I can readily say that this is my favorite movie of all time and it will be hard to top and the only film I see topping it is MOS 2. It's actually the first movie that I can readily say is my number one favorite, because before this all favorite movies have been readily tied. It just, as said, has everything I personally look for. It's like being given something that has every single one of your favorite things in it. Typically it's only a couple of these aspects, but here it - for the first time - it checked off every box.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ultimatehero. I'm happy to hear you were able to connect with the film as much as you did.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #372
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
After numerous viewings, this is my top ten for now:

1. TDK Trilogy (I view them as a package deal, although TDK is #1 overall)
2. MoS
3. IM (My less than favorable opinion of the sequels can't diminish this classic)
4. The Avengers
5. Batman '89 (perhaps strictly from nostalgia, but I still love this)
6. Spider-man Trilogy (Once again as a package, AND equal. Yes, even SM3)
7. X-men First Class
8. Watchmen
9. X2
10. A History of Violence/Unbreakable (Tie, and the same sort of "superhero" film)

I thought it might be prisoner of the moment situation, but I'm honestly really fond of this film, and it's Superman as I've always wanted to see him.
I view the TDK trilogy as one as well. My top 5 is:

1. TDK Trilogy
2. MOS
3. Spider-Man 2
4. X-Men: First Class
5. Iron Man

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #373
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SuperHeroHyperbole!
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
But MOS took a lot from Donner movies, quotes, plot, characters, the Jesus parallels...
I don't know if we can call using characters/plots from the comics taking from the Donner movies. What quotes are you talking about though? It's been quite some time since I watched them.

__________________
Emily King
Sides
S U P E R H U M A N O I D S
COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #374
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Its a great movie.

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Man of Steel
The Dark Knight Rises

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #375
godisawesome
Side-Kick
 
godisawesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Ok, this isn't meant as a definitive score, but:

2,551/312=8.1762

So right now the board's current score of the movie indicates our average view as being very good, but not great. Of course, that depends on believing that 9-10 counts as great, 7-8 as good, 5-6 as okay, 3-4 as disappointing, and 1-2 as bad.

And that score is just us die-hard fanboys who voted on this board, so it's not representative of the Hype as a whole, but it does imply a certain satisfaction from most of us.

__________________
“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.