3 5 1.11%
2 1 0.22%
1 3 0.67%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #126
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

I gave it a 9/10 I absolutely loved it, it was everything I wanted and more.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #127
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

6/10 That rating might change but as it stands now I put this about even with X-Men 1 or Spider-man 1. It just barely pulls it's buttocks across the tolerable line. My biggest complaint is that the sense of wonder is non-existent. The movie is too interested in being heavy for that. And that's something IMO that absolutely NO Superman movie should be without. Anyway the action, while larger devolves into white noise fairly quickly as it becomes repetitive. Too much debris flying at the screen that all looks the same. I DID like Cavill as Superman but felt like the script kinda let him down. The cast was uniformly good. They deserved a better script to work with. No weak links there. I felt the whole Brave New Krypton angle was not all that well utilized thematically and Zod had far too many people helping him which only managed to dilute his threat. I'd have been happy with just him and Faora and absolutely no one else.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #128
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Most of the people in the theater were smiling leaving , I think that most of general audience will like it.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #129
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Probably. I know my theater had a good response.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #130
dante2012
Side-Kick

Just saw it again with my mate! Man! I still love it. Change my mind on the score now and its an 9/10 and the same level as TDK for me.

Really the action and acting was awesome. It reminded me alot of birthright, secret origin and TAS combined.

Loved krypton and jorel riding that dragon creature. Also the climax was badASS. I felt it was too fast paced!lol! Very enjoyable overall. Ending was wicked with clark in the daily planet.

This blows every superman movie out the way. Soz but the original movies are long, boring and dated.

NEW RANKING:

1: TDK 9/10
2: MOS 9/10
3: SPIDERMAN 2 9/10
4: IRONMAN 1 9/10
5: THE AVENGERS 9/10

dante2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #131
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I loved it too. I'm not a huge Superman fan but this felt like THE perfect movie for the Man of Steel.

Still, it will be a long time (in my opinion) before any comic book movie can top The Dark Knight.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #132
B
[insert witty comment]

Just got back from seeing Man of Steel & I really, really enjoyed it. This is the type of Superman I've wanted to see on the big screen for years. A realistic, or as realistic as can be possible, take on the character showing what it actually might be like if such a powerful being came into light.

The performances across the board were fantastic. I enjoyed Cavill's portrayal of Clark Kent & Superman, any interactions with him as Superman were bold & confident, any interactions with him as Clark were concerning & hesitant, played the part superbly.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I look forward to seeing more of his Clark Kent Daily Planet alter-ego, presuming of course the film gets a sequel, as I'm very pleased with his performance in this film.
Russell Crowe & Michael Shannon were fantastic, Shannon played Zod really the way I wanted him to be portrayed. As an unwavering soldier who is convinced his way is the correct way, Antje Traue played his loyal subordinate really well also. Crowe's performance of the 3 Kryptonians other than Kal-El was probably my favourite, the scene
with Lois on the ship
was without question one of my favourites from the whole film.

Amy Adams does well as Lois, had great chemistry with Henry Cavill & that's something that is crucial to the Clark/Lois characters I feel.
Having Lois take no time whatsoever to discover whom Clark really is, is a bold change to the standard mythos your average cinema goer will be aware off, however it's a forgivable one & opens the story up to new dimensions. Also makes things a little more believable, I actually thought Perry would know as well by the end of the film.
Speaking of Perry White, Laurence Fishburne seems like an excellent choice, should we see a sequel I want him to have far more dialogue & interactions with Lois & Clark as I really liked him in the film. Diane Lane & Costner were really good for their roles as well.

Overall closing note on the casting, there wasn't a bad or poor performance from any of the main or supporting actors that I can think off.

The story was fairly generic for those that know the Zod character & the Superman mythos, however I am very much OK with it, at least it's a step away from Lex Luthor & his land selling ideas. During the film I kept thinking & comparing this film to Superman II when Zod shows up, the way in which Zod, Faora & co really look to establish themselves is very powerful & very violent, they didn't just stroll through a town & all of a sudden pretty much have global dominance in this film. They are met with proper resistance & not only aim to destroy the resistance, but to punish the resistance as well. The fights with Superman are really fast paced, violent & destructive.

Which brings me to my next point, this film was enjoyable & is one of my top 3 favourite comic book films to date, however it's far from perfect in my eyes. Something that bothered me in this film & was a problem in the Avengers as well, the scale of the destruction of Metropolis is ridiculous. So many buildings were destroyed, missiles hitting crowded areas.. I mean I realise
Superman saved the world in the end,
but how many people actually were killed during the Smallville & Metropolis fights. However much in the way I overlooked this with The Avengers, when you are dealing with characters this powerful, the destruction has to be on a grand scale, so I can overlook some of it, however as I said, I could have done with less Transformers like battles in which buildings are falling down everywhere.. probably filled with a few hundred or thousand people.

The final fight with Zod is pretty epic, the finale is a very powerful, powerful scene.
I am fine that Superman killed Zod simply because of how well it was done, Superman pleaded with Zod not to do what he was trying to do & was left with no other choice. A very moving scene, however was somewhat spoiled that directly after he is very tore up about having to kill something that it was followed directly by a humour sort of scene with the recon drone.. which was a funny scene & did have a place in the film, maybe just not directly after such a moving scene
Overall, I give Man of Steel 8/10. It's not perfect, however it has laid the groundwork down for, hopefully, future sequels very well. It's one of my favourite comic book films & with the right direction & villian choices, it has the potential to be as good as TDK's trilogy. Comic book fans I feel should like this film & I feel the GP will like it also, box office wise I'm thinking between $500m - $700m globally for this as I think the word of mouth for the film will be good, something that wasn't the case with Superman Returns which was why it failed at the BO.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #133
GreenKToo
In the fire

8.5 for me.
TDK
spidey 2
MOS
BB
S:TM ( its a childhood thang)
Avengers
unbreakable
watchmen
X-men first class.
Batman 89

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-14-2013 at 10:44 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #134
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAmish View Post
Certainly not trying to insult anyone.

And I'm sure a large number of opinions, yours included are probably valid. For the record, I liked the film well enough. I've just seen this often enough where large swatches will declare this as the best thing since sliced bread and then revise their opinion as time goes along. It happens... hell, it's happened to me in the past.

I just find it hard to judge what the consensus of a film like this is at this early time. Needs time to settle and more viewings to ascertain where in the superhero movie pantheon it belongs. I'm glad people enjoyed it, as I say, I found it enjoyable enough.
This is cold, hard wisdom.

I'm thankful my hype past has made me critical and jaded to a degree. I can now walk out of a movie with a closer opinion to the one I'll have years down the road, contrasted to years ago when I would have said of MOS, "I was blown away by every second!"

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #135
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

I only have literally a couple of nitpicks for this film. Saw it last night. I give it an 8.5 right now. I gave it a 9, but I'm seeing it again tomorrow and wanna see if it changes.

At this moment, I love the movie though.
I thought it was very entertaining to a GA, and personally a lot of the tones of the movie reminded me of Superman Earth One which I love as well.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #136
DarkSentinel
Always DS

Technically 8.7/10 for me but I'll round up it's not without it's flaws but it is a great film. I think critics are just so jarred by this interpretation of Superman that they don't really know what to do and simply are having a knee-jerk reaction.

DarkSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #137
#1Batmanfan
Side-Kick

I loved it 9/10 I had a few problems with it but still overall it was really good!

#1 Clippers fan
#1Batmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #138
sf2
Side-Kick

There r so many possibilities for the sequel. How the world n the people will react knowing an superpower ful alien living with them!!! I'm already hype for the sequel!!! So many things we haven't seen. Omg!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #139
cryptic name
No Limits

Gonna give it a 9/10 for sure. Loved it. Can't wait to see it again. I never thought I'd see such a crazy sci fi adaptation of Superman. Great stuff.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #140
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I rated it a nine, since I'm an action junkie and I'm a nice reviewer and grader.

I'll rank it a bit ahead of Batman Begins and quite a bit ahead of Amazing Spiderman for an origin film. I'd rank it a bit below Avengers overall, and both are behind TDK. So it's around the same area as Thor, TDKR, and Iron Man to me.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #141
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

MAN OF STEEL: AN ADOPTEE FINDS HIS WAY BACK HOME

I have to stay that they got everything about the character and his struggles right. It all rung true to what an adolescent and young Clark Kent would go through. Throughout the whole film I felt all the way there with Clark on his journey towards becoming the Man of Steel. I'm similarly adopted, from a foreign war-torn country, into the good ol' USA and have traveled to try to find my place. Thus, a lot of it just stood out and made me emotional in all of the right ways.

The alien invasion route, I think, might be what is throwing reviewers off. Because there is nothing like this. I can't come up with even one example of a film that goes in the same areas. It just really felt unique and new and refreshing, I'd more than love for other superhero films to approach them in the same way because here - it truly felt like Superman could be real and living among us rather than just a comic book adaptation which was truly spectacular in and by itself. To avoid confusion later on, it still felt like a comic book but the comics I love. For TDKR it was an amazing adaptation of 'No Man's Land,' while here it's a brilliant adaptation of 'Birth Right' 'For All Seasons' and the classic fight with Doomsday.

Due to this, although we don't get to truly meet the Daily Planet staff we feel right at place with them and among them because in a sense we are in the city and world that Superman is protecting.

The kiss between Lois and Clark does seem somewhat forced, but doesn't really detract from it. By the end their connection is truly established in a later scene at the Planet. I was really upset by how much focus Gwen got in 'The Amazing Spider-Man,' I like the middle grounds such as in 'Iron Man' but really dug the amount of focus between Bruce and Rachel in the Batman films and I see this going the same way.

Jonathan Kent's death is handled well, by the way people on here put it - I was afraid that Clark just didn't go over there. But, Jonathan told Clark not to rescue him which was really tough on both ends and you can see how that affected Clark.

I'm really unsure about what people meant by not enough character and too much action. The plot and characters were central to the overall story and got the most focus. With a run time of two hours and twenty minutes, only forty minutes went to the fight. These really long fight scenes typically get to me because of how long they are, but here that didn't really happen. I was fully engaged from beginning to end. Plus, in the end with Superman mourning Zod's death - that's all Superman and how I suppose any guy with a good heart would react. He's not as cold as Batman, so an action like this to him would naturally mean a lot.

There were some biblical antidotes that got me worried at first. But, it fits and really hits home. I see people complaining about the priest too, but I loved the priest and think many here will as well. He even LOOKS (!) like the priest from 'Superman: For All Seasons' and I'm pretty sure they share some of the same lines as well.

As to the level and destruction of the fight. Yes, a lot of Metropolis falls apart and gets destroyed but it was a necessary evil. If Superman didn't stop Zod more people would have died. He had to stop Zod as fast as he could to save as many people as he could. Here too, we've seen this fight with Doomsday. It's the same fight and same level of destruction which was really a treat to see.

The cinematography too was astounding in the final fight. The CGI was in top shape and top form which added to this, but at times it felt like you were flying right alongside Superman and seeing what he sees. It wasn't entirely first person POV, but it felt remarkably like it could be at some times that's how much you were along for the ride.

The editing in the beginning was a little choppy, but after a while it starts to flow better and that will definitely flow better upon second and sequential viewings.

What I look for in superhero films is something else. I look for films that I can completely relate to, for out of this world action that you can only see on the pages of a comic book, and for a riveting overall experience. I want it to feel like a comic book, but bring all of the weight of the characters as well. Because of this my favorite MARVEL MCU films are Avengers, Iron Man 3, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor followed closely by The Incredible Hulk. I want to feel something and these are the films that paid off in spades to me:

1. MAN OF STEEL
2. THE AVENGERS
3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
4. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
5. SPIDER-MAN 2

I don't hate TDK, I just don't think it's as good as it could have been. To me that film felt like it was apologizing that it was a comic book film by changing genres. The only real highlight is the Joker and Harvey Dent once he becomes Two Face. To me, TDK is 8.5 - 9/10. Whereas TDKR, while some parts were too short, truly felt like a Batman comic that truly captured the essence of the character or at least what the character means to me.

As an adoptee/orphan superheroes have always been more than just about fights and amazing spectacle. They've been so much more personal and inspiring to me because I can relate to them. I lost my parents when I was sent away partly and probably for safety from a war-torn country (highest crime rate in the world). Because of that, I've always felt like an outsider and have always traveled trying to find my place in the world and where I fit in. I've sometimes become upset that I don't know my biological parents and have accidentally hurt my mom one time with that. And despite all of that, superheroes in the end rise above. While they're impacted by that loss, they don't let it completely define them and they find a way to use it to rise above. That's what's always been inspiring to me. TDKR heavily dealt with that theme of the orphaned hero and MOS took it a step further. I could completely relate to Clark and that's what I was looking for. And Martha's reaction when Clark told he found his parents? Pitch perfect. Although I haven't found them yet, whenever I bring them up -- you can see a hint of the way Martha looks in that scene. For a superhero movie with an orphaned hero to truly get everything right, and this one did and then some.

You will truly believe a man can fly. 10/10 (or 9.75/10 - as said the editing was awkward at first (but, that would only be there in the first viewing since you don't know when and how it will jump back and forth) and the kiss was a tad bit forced but the overall focus on the relationship was handled much better than most films and I can truly see this as evolving into a relationship similar to Bruce and Rachel. So, while not 100% perfect - it's the closest there is).

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 06-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #142
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
If the entire race is being wiped out? Probably.
It's like, "We're all about to die, but let's go ahead with this trial and sentencing." lol
I also think that was the point though. Zod and Jor-El were fed up with how their culture had been brought to a halt by "tradition" and such. They gave up on exploraration and were stagnant. At least that's what I took from it.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #143
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
All scenes with Kevin Kostner and Diane Lane were great !

And Fishburne looks great as Perry White !

What Happened to Dr. Hamilton ? I thought he died.
Fishburne was awesome.
That sucked!!! But then I was thinking... Wait. Are they all stuck in the Phantom Zone?!?!?!

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #144
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

@Ultimatehero, the "fly-by" flight scenes where he's in combat with Zod were the s***!! Loved it. Really loved all the heat vision too. Wish there were more of it.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #145
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

@ Ultimatehero, nice review, agree with all your points.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #146
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

I'm happy... and I guess a bit jealous that so many of you guys were totally engrossed my this movie. God knows I wanted to be as well. But I'm sorry, I just don't share in the enthusiasm. I thought it was awful. Pure awful. I never thought Nolan was the genius filmmaker his fans made him out to be but it's obvious now who the MVP of the Batman franchise was, and it clearly wasn't Goyer. As for Snyder? I'm disappointed beyond words. But boy could that guy cut a trailer.

I so, so badly wanted the movie we were promised. The one from the trailers. If only Zach had realized mid-way through production, "Hey wait a minute! Why aren't I making this movie instead!!?!?"

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #147
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

10/10 for me. Absolutely loved it!

Originally planned to see this on Sunday, but schedules conflicted so we decided to sneak out and see it early this morning. LOVED it! ( No spoilers, so dont worry) The beginning somehow managed to seem both slow paced, and rushed at the same time, if that makes any sense, and the new version of Krypton took some getting used to, but it really delivers on all fronts. LOTS of action in the 2nd and 3rd acts, which was sorely lacking in the LAST Superman movie. Read an interview yesterday and the writers say that this is going to be the official kick off of a shared DC cinematic universe (kind of like what Marvel/Disney are doing with THEIR characters). I'm all for it. Biggest gripe? I have to wait a couple years for the NEXT Superman movie! Go see it, and enjoy!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #148
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i love seeing all the positive feedback on here, especially after the disappointing reviews from the critics

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #149
Kansiov
Side-Kick

What's kind of off putting for me is that much of the film's problems could've been fixed in the editing room; given that this film was thrown back a full year, it just irks me why nothing was done about it. All the scenes for a great film are there, it's just slapped around amateurishly which makes such scenes void of any emotional cohesion. Also, that constant sun-glare is annoying as f--k.

6/10

Kansiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #150
jb007
Side-Kick

Solid 9. On par with Batman begins. Not close to TDK.

John 16:33

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."
jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote