The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphisto96 View Post
It's a great film, though very dated. But if you remade it with modern tech, it would still feel dated. That film would bomb if released today. We only love it because we grew up with it.
Speak for yourself, you're doing a bad job speaking for everyone else.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I don't want change as much as I want BALANCE. I would like it if the childhood of Superman was expanded upon. I would like it if there was a serious fight. I would like it if it explored who Superman was as a person in a Begins-fashion. MOS doesn't look to have that balance, but it does seem to be an adrenaline rush with a unique visual style and sci-fi elements.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a great film, though very dated. But if you remade it with modern tech, it would still feel dated. That film would bomb if released today. We only love it because we grew up with it.

I know guys in their 20s that think it is horrible and they like comics. Of course I don't think the Kirk Alyn serials are lame either, but they are even campier than STM and have very little tech behind them. Younger generations look at STM the same way.
It wouldnt bomb. It would do well. In fact is exactly what Superman Returns was, but less.

blumatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Absolutely, and it's still is responsible for what Man Of Steel is.
Yep, exactly. It owes a debt to that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Its a classic.

Superman TM
Godfather 1 and 2
Scarface (hated by critics at first but now is very popular)
Definitely.

Quote:

I know guys in their 20s that think it is horrible and they like comics. Of course I don't think the Kirk Alyn serials are lame either, but they are even campier than STM and have very little tech behind them. Younger generations look at STM the same way.
It was a product of its time and a reflection of the comics of its time, much in the same way Man of Steel is.

Lol, I'm a 1984 baby. I didn't grow up on STM, and I really didn't see the whole film until I was 20, when I getting into reading comics. I had been a fan of Superman for years, but had never seen the whole first movie. I had seen other three multiple times thanks to it always playing on network television. I loved it, all of it. It just had a magical feeling to it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #30
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I'll give the movie this. Cavill is really, really, really great.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

http://www.canibefierceforaminute.co...lies-high.html Positive blog review.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #32
Super Kal
Side-Kick

just got back from the movie... dont believe all the negative hype.

it has action, emotion, suspense, everything you want in a Superman movie.

Cavill= amazing job. He embodies what Superman looks like and more.
Crowe= delivers Jor-El as he should be; caring, thoughtful and loving
Adams= not too much dialogue, but what she does have, she delivers beautifully. a lot fo potential for Adams in this role
Fishbourne= did a great job as a supporting role
Shannon= holy crap, he was incredible. his character is fleshed out very well, and his performance... wow. just wow.

this movie has the perfect blend of everything you would want, plus more... these major critics are so stuck on Superman The Movie, they dont know a good Superman movie when they see it, and this is a GREAT Superman movie

the only thing i wish they could of spent a little bit more time on was his childhood years, plus the zoom-in/zoom-out camera and shaky-camera was a bit much for my eyes...

and with that, i give this movie a 9.75/10

go see this movie. it does not disappoint.

Last edited by Super Kal; 06-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #33
Gavan
Side-Kick

Yeah, 12-year trance instant development is magic all right.

Gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

And another one. http://northshoremovies.wordpress.co...-man-of-steel/

Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Another positive, but reserved review. He gave it a B. http://dougreviews.blogspot.com/2013...ie-review.html

Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #36
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Quote:
Is this a conspiracy????

DanSupKP37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ I don't want change as much as I want BALANCE. I would like it if the childhood of Superman was expanded upon. I would like it if there was a serious fight. I would like it if it explored who Superman was as a person in a Begins-fashion. MOS doesn't look to have that balance, but it does seem to be an adrenaline rush with a unique visual style and sci-fi elements.
It's very interesting that you say this, because of these

Quote:
The first, Goyer described to Bleeding Cool, was "a little scene in which Jonathan and Martha take a baby Kal to a paediatrician because he's starting to experience these changes. They do a hearing test on him where they're dialling up these sounds and baby Kal screams and it blows out all the windows.

"It was a funny scene," Goyer said, "but after the armageddon on Krypton -- originally we went from that to baby Kal to the fishing trawler -- it just felt weird. We didn't need it. Tonally it felt off."
Quote:
The second deleted scene, which was never shot, featured a display of power from General Zod and his crew. "Believe it or not there was another action scene," Goyer continued. "After Zod first announces himself [the Krpytonians] provide a demonstration of their might. They drop Faora into Shanghai and Namek, who is the big eight foot tall guy who doesn't speak, they drop him another foreign city."

"It was another five pages of crazy Kryptonian destruction. We didn't need it. We knew that, my God, there's already a lot of action."
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...deleted-scenes

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

A positive-non spoiler review. http://popcultureredefined.wordpress...-steel-review/

I would have liked to see the baby scene. As for another fight, I think that would beyond overkill.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #39
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
I never felt like SR was on the map. It did nothing for me. I had hoped that it would be something to build on but it failed. I saw no bright spots in SR and still don't. Singer was living in the Donner age and acts like Donners movie is scripture. It was a critic favorite because they too cant get beyond 1978. MOS is what Superman should be. Does it have flaws? Yes but what movie doesnt. I applaud Snyder for giving the fans what we wanted. I look forward to MOS 2
Yes, I have not seen MOS, but I applaud the filmmakers for at least daring to update Superman for a modern audience. Playing it safe never works as SR showed us. Sometimes you have to take a risk even if you ruffle a few feathers. MOS may not be perfect, but it opens up a world of possibilities in the DCU. SM:The Movie is a classic and its place in film history is secure, but trying to replicate what worked in a bygone era is just never going to work.

Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #40
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah there were moments I wish they had hung onto a little longer and expanded upon. An extra twenty minutes could've been useful. The movie honestly didn't feel long to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I'll give the movie this. Cavill is really, really, really great.
He really was.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #41
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

A rare "perfect" review: http://www.examiner.com/review/steel...review?cid=rss

Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #42
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
i thought the childhood montage was done tastefully.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #43
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Yep, exactly. It owes a debt to that film.

Definitely.

It was a product of its time and a reflection of the comics of its time, much in the same way Man of Steel is.

Lol, I'm a 1984 baby. I didn't grow up on STM, and I really didn't see the whole film until I was 20, when I getting into reading comics. I had been a fan of Superman for years, but had never seen the whole first movie. I had seen other three multiple times thanks to it always playing on network television. I loved it, all of it. It just had a magical feeling to it.
This why I think MOS is getting bad reviews by critics. It didnt make them feel like a kid. It didnt bring magic.

The Donner films still gives me magic. This era is superheroes is all aboutt epic. Tragedy and epic. The Donner films had nothing tragic and epic about them. Just romance and magic.

blumatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Another positive review: http://www.punchdrunkcritics.com/201...ing-henry.html

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #45
Snark88
Side-Kick

So many positive blog reviews lol

Snark88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #46
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post

I did see STM in theaters (I was 4). When he smiled at the audience in that last shot, it didn't seem like it was even just a movie anymore. I still adore that shot. But if someone tried that today, it would be derided as campy and cheesy.

My dad took me to see Superman because he grew up on the comics and watching George Reeves on TV. It opened with that little boy reading the comic book, and it made the movie something that one generation could pass to the next, and beautifully so. It embraced the nostalgia of it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #47
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Nothing tragic about them? Not even a tortured young Clark realizing his limitations, or Superman trying to figure out who to save?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
I don't think the general public is as attached to the Reeve films as fans take for granted.

If anything they're attached to Reeve himself and the Williams theme.

And especially among the younger folks, that's more due to pop culture absorption than actually watching the movies. For actual Superman exposure it's more about Smallville and cartoons.

This. People bashing critics for not understanding a modernization of Superman cause they love Reeve are wrong.

Reeve/Donner didn't invent Superman. They just did a good job of distilling the mythos. Just putting action and having modern "dark" sensibilities(like crumbling buildings) don't make a good Superman movie. Superman is still a fun character. You should still have that wish fulfillment aspect cause without it you're losing something imo.

You're just watching a brooding guy hit something in a cape.

Hopefully the sequel will do a better job now that Metropolis Clark is involved.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
Street Vendor
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSupKP37 View Post
STM boasted great visuals for it's time but was very much a vehicle that allowed Chris Reeve to shine. Donner made sure Chris shined. MOS seems to have let the mayhem and chaos outshine it's Superman..
Many of the visuals in STM hold up today. I have a home theater with a projector and a 90" screen, and when Superman chases the missiles, you feel like you're flying with him. Still an impressive moment even after 35 years.

http://spidermannews.com/

No guns, no killing.
Street Vendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
kendalag
Side-Kick

It is NOT a perfect film ... but holy ****, I had a great time.

Don't feel like going into much tonight, but must say, Hans score works incredible in this film IMO.

8.5/10

kendalag is offline   Reply With Quote