The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #101
macphisto96
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Reading between the lines it looks to deserve a 65 percent fresh or more. I feel like this movie wouldn't be as polarizing if it wasn't dealing with Superman.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone has Superman preconceptions. Batman gets more give. Most of the average audience had no idea who Iron Man was. But everyone has some kind of conception of the Big Blue Boy Scout,

macphisto96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #102
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Another positive blog review: http://greateralexandria.patch.com/a...ills-in-reboot

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #103
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
I loved the first Iron Man film, I consider it to be the benchmark of superhero origin films. If it can take the "magic" that made that film work, and push it into a straight-laced Avengers spectacle, I'll be a happy camper.

And yet another glowing review that probably won't show up on RT: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/06/mov...ssive-and.html
Not only is it on par with IM (and better than Avengers if you did Superman mythology), but if you are a fan of TAS you are going to be completely blown away by Cavill as Superman. He fits right in with that vibe, and as much as I like Routh I gotta admit... Cavill just has that feel of believability as Superman. It's perfect casting.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #104
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manosman View Post
Here's the thing though, it is not "Dark and Gritty."
How would you describe it? I'm assuming you've seen it. Everything I'm reading is saying it's much more dour and humorless than a Superman film should be, which is something I suspected from the numerous trailers and TV spot. IMO that doesn't fit superman.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #105
Hero 1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphisto96 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
No. Not explicitly - though there is a small tentacle like machine and the Kryptonian ship also manifests tentacles. So the Kryptonian computers may have some Brainiac aspects to them
Ah okay, I only asked because someone mentioned something about an item called the Codex that set alarm bells off. I knew Krypton had AI in this film, and put two and two together.

Hero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #106
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I promise a few things to those who haven't seen it, again I will not get spoilerish. 1. It is not too dark for Superman. 2. It does not feel like a Nolan Batman film interchanged with Superman. 3. It has a great comic book tone and if you are a fan of TAS there are elements that feel like a live version extension of it. I can't say that everything is perfect, but it is definitely on par with the first Iron Man and to reiterate... better than The Avengers (plot AND action).

Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #107
macphisto96
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet but it irks me a little bit that WB decided that since 'dark and gritty' worked with Batman that they would just cut and paste that approach and apply it to Superman. Just shows a level of short-sightedness that they've demonstrated before which I think could ultimately lead to the downfall of this new proposed DCU.
Except they didn't do that. Superman isn't dark and gritty. He does have feelings and does have questions about his place, so he's more complex than he's been portrayed on screen in the past.

This movie really shares little in common with the Nolan films other than Nolan being a part of the production. Most all of the film occurs in the light. The overall tone of the film is far more colorful. And Superman is far from brooding.

So what irks you didn't happen, so hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #108
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I promise a few things to those who haven't seen it, again I will not get spoilerish. 1. It is not too dark for Superman. 2. It does not feel like a Nolan Batman film interchanged with Superman. 3. It has a great comic book tone and if you are a fan of TAS there are elements that feel like a live version extension of it. I can't say that everything is perfect, but it is definitely on par with the first Iron Man and to reiterate... better than The Avengers (plot AND action).
I'll keep this in mind when seeing it. I really want to love this movie and my biggest concern from the get go was that it would be overly Nolanized to the point where it wouldn't fit the character, and to be frank I'm still concerned. Most of the reviews I've read have mentioned that. So we'll see.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #109
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

A nice spoiler-free blog rave: http://carpenoctem6.wordpress.com/20...-steel-review/

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #110
Neonzel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
Here's my question to those that saw it.

Did the audience seem into it?
Their was naive girl next to me who did not know what was going on, at first she didn't seem to care but about an hour in she was glued to the screen. Other than that my crowd loved it. We all stayed hoping for an after credit scene. Though there isn't one.

Neonzel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #111
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Superman TAS is how I think a superman movie SHOULD be approached. Underrated show

Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #112
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well the blame is to be shared with Nolan then. At some point in the making of this movie someone should have said "Mmmmmm you know maybe this doesn't exactly fit the character perfectly".
Nolan's made WB billions of dollars.

No ones telling him ****.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #113
Sup3rman81
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Absolutely. The audience will eat this film up, IMO. It's the critics who are divided over it.
Yep my audience cheered when they saw the suit and cheered at the ending scene. You could even hear some people cheer the finale between Zod and Supes but it was more of a damn did he just do that than yay! We all loved it

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #114
macphisto96
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero 1 View Post
Ah okay, I only asked because someone mentioned something about an item called the Codex that set alarm bells off. I knew Krypton had AI in this film, and put two and two together.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Codex referred to is a repository of the blueprints for future Kryptonians that are to be engineered and birthed in cradles overseen by Kryptonian AI. I won't tell you what happens to it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #115
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

No after credit scene/shirt rip but I can only assume it's because they are waiting to see if they are making a sequel before nailing down a starting point for it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #116
Manosman
Austinite

Quote:
How would you describe it? I'm assuming you've seen it. Everything I'm reading is saying it's much more dour and humorless than a Superman film should be, which is something I suspected from the numerous trailers and TV spot. IMO that doesn't fit superman.
Yeah I saw it last night, seeing it again tomorrow. It's hard to describe, but dark and gritty would definitely not be the words I would use. Sorry for no help.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #117
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I'm so ****in' excited. I have to wait 13 more days. Damn it!!!!!

1 question.

Is Faora awesome?

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #118
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Superman TAS is how I think a superman movie SHOULD be approached. Underrated show
The film is much brighter in tone than I expected (YAY!) and the scenes in desert realllllly are what gave me that TAS feel. Seriously it is like the first Iron Man movie in the best way for Superman fans. When you see it, that should make sense to you btw

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #119
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Not raving, not negative-lukewarm but positive review here:

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #120
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Vendor View Post
Many of the visuals in STM hold up today. I have a home theater with a projector and a 90" screen, and when Superman chases the missiles, you feel like you're flying with him. Still an impressive moment even after 35 years.
When people try to ridicule the effects in S:TM that is one of the scenes I like to reference. Also the helicopter/Lois rescue scene is brilliant to this very day. I am biased though, as it is my favorite film of all time. It's magical in the way The Wizard of Oz is. Time moves on though, and tomorrow I get to see MOS and I couldn't be more excited. Btw. A little off topic but After three days of listening to Zimmer's score for MOS imo it is brilliant.

Last edited by Stephen K. Hone; 06-13-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #121
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manosman View Post
Yeah I saw it last night, seeing it again tomorrow. It's hard to describe, but dark and gritty would definitely not be the words I would use. Sorry for no help.
No I appreciate it, I'm encouraged to hear those words aren't an apt description for this movie.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #122
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Really raving blog post: http://poptimal.com/2013/06/14/man-o...e-city-blocks/

Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #123
Super Kal
Side-Kick

seeing it again either on saturday or sunday

Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #124
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

You will be happy that there are some great moments of him just floating back down that look very real to go along with massive take offs!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Another raving blog review: http://www.yesnofilms.com/2013/06/man-of-steel.html