The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #76
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - Part 82

All of the actors were great. I can't think of anyone who did badly or was miscast, but the script really let them down.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #77
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Before I watch the film, I have a feeling it's a film with good acting, good visuals, action that is bogged down by subpar writing and choppy editing.
I wouldn't say subpar, but you are right. The only weakness would either be writing or editing for certain scenes. I could see a certain struggle with balancing the amount of potential material for the film. They still made it work overall though.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #78
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
You know, it bugged me a little in Batman, but I shrugged it off as a young Batman being overly aggressive and wreckless, and Alfred also calls him on it later.
Have you seen the Crisis DTV and what he did to Owlman? I'm still kinda iffy on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I had to point that out to my family.

Not understanding the joyless comments. It is a battle, war, and Clark is making tough, almost impossible choices. The awe of the citizens was all I needed.

His first kiss with Lois was the perfect response to everything.
It kinda blew my mind they took it that far along with how they set up the shot.

Well, Superman's supposed to be fun and you really want to root for him. But, when he's so reckless about things and how he ended it all, it leaves you empty. At least that's what it did for me and my view of the character.

Nothing gets one horny more than facing death.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #79
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
You know what, I don't even really care that much about that part. I only mentioned it because I had criticized Singer for it. If that was the only problem it had, then I wouldn't have cared in the least. There are a ton of problems with this film.
I saw it a second time and really had problems similar to you. How did the ten people you were with like it?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #80
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it does.
In what way?

Quote:
I went with about 10 people, and they all noticed and commented on it.
I went with 4 other people, and no one noticed it. And we are a family of Catholics.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #81
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Lighthouse- I think the actors are so well suited for their parts, that with new villains in a sequel such as Lex/Metallo/Brainiac you could end up loving this as a potential franchise.
I never said the series wasn't salvageable. The difference between this one and Superman Returns is baggage. Superman Returns had a TON of baggage that a sequel would have to deal with. This movie ends with the Superman status quo(except for Metropolis being completely and totally decimated, but I'm assuming with movie magic it'll look just fine in the next one). This series is absolutely salvageable, but with the same creative team, I have serious doubts.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #82
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Quote:
Zod rising at the end was epic!
haha hell yea. It's an "oh ****" moment

Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #83
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Lighthouse, Metropolis being destroyed is perfect setup for Lex to put his stamp on the city so to speak.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #84
sf2
Side-Kick

glad to see many of us joining him in the sun.

too bad for lighthouse though.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #85
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Have you seen the Crisis DTV and what he did to Owlman? I'm still kinda iffy on that one.
You can't really compare those two as the same Batman. Like I said, I find that scene problematic but not too much so.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #86
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Sounds like Goyer is still the idea man and not the writer he tries to be. I think they need him to stay strictly the story developer and have someone much more talented handling the scripts from now to the end of time. Maybe whoever tweaked the third act.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #87
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
I never said the series wasn't salvageable. The difference between this one and Superman Returns is baggage. Superman Returns had a TON of baggage that a sequel would have to deal with. This movie ends with the Superman status quo(except for Metropolis being completely and totally decimated, but I'm assuming with movie magic it'll look just fine in the next one). This series is absolutely salvageable, but with the same creative team, I have serious doubts.
So Zack should get another script man? Because it's clear that Snyder isn't going anywhere, especially if they are fast tracking the sequel.

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #88
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post

It kinda blew my mind they took it that far along with how they set up the shot.

Well, Superman's supposed to be fun and you really want to root for him. But, when he's so reckless about things and how he ended it all, it leaves you empty. At least that's what it did for me and my view of the character.

Nothing gets one horny more than facing death.
Not sure what you mean by reckless?

I personally loved that moment. Superman just performed one of the great superhero feats I have seen, Lpis just faced death again. And it just sort of happens.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #89
Lighthouse

Quote:
Lighthouse, Metropolis being destroyed is perfect setup for Lex to put his stamp on the city so to speak.
Yeah, it is. I just want better scriptwriters to write it.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #90
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
So Zack should get another script man? Because it's clear that Snyder isn't going anywhere, especially if they are fast tracking the sequel.
David Goyer needs to go away. Far far away from anything.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #91
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Snyder directed it quite well, so I think he is a lock to come back if there is a sequel. The only complaints would probably be the script maybe needing more of a focus as to avoid a chaotic editing experience. I am sure they had to spend A LOT of time in editing room on this one. I think they pulled it off though, but certainly a stronger script always helps.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #92
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Holy sh**, Ok then...I'm off to watch in 3 hours.
I can honestly say I don't know how others will feel about it, but for me it was great. Perfect? No. But it worked for me completely.

Little stuff like Clark using his heat vision to make a path to the scout ship or Ma Kent saving her photo albums.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #93
Joker594
Ahead Of The Curve

Hot Toys's Man Of Steel figure!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #94
Lighthouse

I've been a pretty avid defender of Snyder, and he's got a great understanding of cinematic language, but dear God, he needs a good script.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #95
Jordanstine
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Mark Waid is getting attacked on Twitter for not liking the movie. Yeah, I think this is going to divide the fans.
Mark Waid's review was actually one of the more emotional reviews I've read.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-st...nce-you-asked/

You could tell he really wanted to love the film, but...

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #96
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

The visuals were outstanding, I did want a traditional Snyder slow mo scene. I think the jokes about his slowmo probably stopped him from doing it. A shame in a way because Superman is the perfect type of movie to use it.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #97
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Agreed on Goyer. Imagine the Dark Knight films if someone other than Nolan directed them. We want this guy to introduce all the members in the Justice League? In one script? Seriously?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #98
zachary77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Once again, that's the only scene I consider Christ-like. Other than that, I don't see any other imagery 'hamfisted' into this movie.
young clark was in a crucifix pose during the bullying seen where Jonathan walks over (barn/garage)

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #99
Lighthouse

Quote:
The visuals were outstanding, I did want a traditional Snyder slow mo scene. I think the jokes about his slowmo probably stopped him from doing it. A shame in a way because Superman is the perfect type of movie to use it.
I actually agree with this. There is no slo-mo in the film, but there were some instances I think it could have been really effective.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #100
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Not sure what you mean by reckless?

I personally loved that moment. Superman just performed one of the great superhero feats I have seen, Lpis just faced death again. And it just sort of happens.
His complete disregard for the people around him. It's truly shocking that Superman of all people would be portrayed like that. One thing that assumed me about it was that I was expecting DBZ-like fights and Goku and co. would always try to make sure to take those fights in the middle of nowhere.

I actually would've proffered that they didn't kiss. Would've been an interesting choice.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Closed Thread