The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

All games are tied to your profile on Xbox One. The disc is just a delivery mechanism. So you lose access to everything if banned.

What a great console and service.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #27
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Tell that to all the Origin users who lost access to their games because they were banned for no reason at all.

Valve's approach to this sort of thing is much better because good players don't get punished and the bad players don't even have to lose access to their games.
Yeah, that's why I'm saying I don't like the power they wield. One **** up on their end, and you suddenly can't play your games anymore. And I thought they couldn't look any worse. But they certainly are trying.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

A lot of people got banned from Live for things like a retail store broke a street date and started selling games early. Probably won't work that way on the One because the game won't authenticate with the server now until release date.

To elaborate further on my previous post, the disc is just the delivery mechanism on the one. It has to be installed to the hard disk drive in order to work. It's mandatory, and it's tied to your account in duh clowd. You can then set the disk on fire, or sell it if a publisher allows you at participating retailers.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 06-15-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #29
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Good against pirates, bad for people mislabeled as pirates. It's gonna be a hoot the first time someone's banned for no reason.
Quote:
Tell that to all the Origin users who lost access to their games because they were banned for no reason at all.

Valve's approach to this sort of thing is much better because good players don't get punished and the bad players don't even have to lose access to their games.
That doesn't mean the policy is wrong. It means as with most things Origin, the banning detection method is completely incompetent & not fit for issuing strict punishments. Microsoft have a good system like Bungie's banhammer both of which let off a lot of cheats as they're designed to not punish fair gamers. And it's really not that hard to implement with an online system that monitors data continuously. Most cheats cheat every day so you can have a very relaxed criteria so that no fair gamer could ever be caught and minor cheats get away with cheating every now and then but the ones who do it all the time are caught and face a punishment that they actually care about. There's a few games that I used to play competitively that I don't any more as any kid with a mod or hack will always win.

What's Valve's method btw?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
AxlsAppetite
Side-Kick

There won't be any mix-ups now that the console records all game footage.

And i've never heard of anyone getting banned for no good reason.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

People have also gotten banned for living in towns that have "gay" in their names or for the their actual real life names having "gay" in them. They later reversed the bans but they still happened.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #32
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

So the price of a Xbox One is $500 and more consumer rights. A shame people only care about the former.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #33
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
What's Valve's method btw?
Matchmaking. Cheaters and players with a negative reputation are only matched with other cheaters and bad players.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Microsoft Confirms Xbox One Will Only Work in 21 States in the US at Launch

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #35
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Matchmaking. Cheaters and players with a negative reputation are only matched with other cheaters and bad players.
That's good, a few other games like FIFA give the option to search by reputation. Would be good if all games offered that option. This taking away of licenses policy should be aimed at people who use external hacks. Haha, obesity rates.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Havok83
Side-Kick

WTF? Seems MS is determine to screw up their main target region

Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I don't think it's true. But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #38
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

It's satire.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #39
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I don't think it's true. But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft.
Haha. I thought it was a bit too ridiculous to be true but then again alot of MS's announcements lately have been

Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #40
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Honestly nothing would surprise me anymore.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

C'mon people...** obesity rates **

Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #42
Nathan

With all the shenanigans MS has pulled, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

I've never been big on multiplayer but Titanfall might be the thing that gets me to dip my toes. What a great looking game. And I did love Quake III Arena that didn't have a single player campaign. But I suppose it would be too much in this era to ask for a bots mode lol.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #44
Nathan

Games still don't do that? I remember when you could fill MP matches with bots in TimeSplitters and even change their AI setting individually.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #45
Havok83
Side-Kick

Killzone 2 and 3 had bots. I hope that continues to be a fixture of the series going into Shadow Fall

Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #46
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm saying I don't like the power they wield. One **** up on their end, and you suddenly can't play your games anymore. And I thought they couldn't look any worse. But they certainly are trying.

Looks like JonTron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlsAppetite View Post
And i've never heard of anyone getting banned for no good reason.
I sure have, it does happen and losing the ability to play products you PAYED for just because you are banned is insane. When you pay for something, it should be yours.

Well good thing I'm not getting that paperweight because its not supported in my state. They really are rushing the console it seems. Microsoft doesn't seem so intelligent to me right now. Bill Gates would be disappointed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Games still don't do that? I remember when you could fill MP matches with bots in TimeSplitters and even change their AI setting individually.
Don't say the TS word, I'm sad their is still no further announcement!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #47
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Ok, make up your ****ing mind Microsoft. Looks like you don#t lose your games after all when you get Banned, you simple don't get to play MP anymore.

Quote:
Microsoft: We Won't Render Your Xbox One Games Unplayable Long-Term

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The very first question in this r/games interview with Xbox Live director of programming Major Nelson elicits an encouraging answer, one that Microsoft should be trumpeting, not whispering.

The question:

Quote:
After the Xbox One servers are shut down at the end of the new generation, will Xbox One games still be playable?
The question is highly relevant, because Microsoft says that the Xbox One must connect to the Internet at least once in a 24-hour period for any games to be playable on it. Imagine, a decade from now, Microsoft shutting down whatever server checks for that. Imagine then trying to play any games in an Xbox One library.

If we're taking Microsoft's 24-hour check as real policy—and they've given us only a bit of fine print to suggest that anything will ever change—then it sure seems like an Xbox One's game library would be rendered inert down the road. And that would seem like a very major reason to be leery of spending money on Xbox One games.

Major Nelson's answer (emphasis added):

Quote:
I'll just say this: We haven't even started this generation, so it's kind of early to talk about the end of the generation. That's certainly something we would not do. That's not the way the system is designed. It's designed for flexibility. But let's get the system out there first.
Interesting and encouraging answer, but also a telling one that speaks to some of the disconnect between Microsoft officials and anxious gamers.

It's not too early to be talking about whether an Xbox One is a good long-term gaming investment. It's actually the exact right time. Anyone who is buying a game console is buying into the future. Buying into a future that kills your games dead in a decade or two due to an arbitrary corporate decision to shut down servers is a future that many serious gamers don't want a part of. That's why I find Major Nelson's response both encouraging but curiously tone-deaf. These are answers gamers need.

It's not too early to be talking about whether an Xbox One is a good long-term gaming investment. It's actually the exact right time.

Back at the May 21 Xbox One reveal, Microsoft exec Phil Harrison told me about the 24-hour requirement in an interview. We reported it, but honestly hadn't fully processed all the consequences.

Later that day, I thought through the long-term problem: even those of us for whom the 24-hour check-in wouldn't be a big deal would eventually face a day when Microsoft might shut down its authentication servers. This isn't some paranoid view of the gaming future. EA regularly stops supporting most of their online games after the games are a few years old. Imagine that happening for an entire console. And then I'd never be able to play my Xbox One games again?

I saw Harrison at a mixer later that evening and asked him about this. His answer was similar to Major Nelson's response to r/games. It was, essentially: why would we do that?

Why, indeed!

What I think Microsoft folks might be missing as that we're trusting Microsoft that their policies are real, and we're believing them when they say they have to do this 24-hour check-in thing. And if we believe them that they have to do that, then it's hard to understand how they'd be able to remove that requirement in five or 10 years. Or, if we believe that they can remove it then, then why can't they remove it now? My gut tells me that it has as much to do with how they want to manage manage rights to Xbox One games as it does supporting the Xbox One's TV services. But I don't know.

I just know that we have two Microsoft people telling us not to worry long-term, not to expect their policies to last forever. That's good news, but it'd help if they'd be explicit.

No one wants to buy a $60 Xbox One game to discover they just had it for a 10-year rental.

Go on the record, Microsoft. Tell us what your long-term policy is.

Tell us that our Xbox Ones wouldn't become bricks.

Tell us you'll drop the 24-hour requirement when you launch the console after Xbox One.

Tell us that you understand that gamers like to believe that their Nintendo cartridges will work in their retro systems even in the Wii era and that their PS2 games will still play in their PS2s even when the PS4 is the hot new thing on store shelves. No one wants to buy a $60 Xbox One game to discover they just had it for a 10-year rental.

Now is the time to be answering this stuff. And if you have good answers, there's really no need to be tight-lipped.
Source

Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #48
Nathan

Angry Joe: Xbox One AJ Interview w/ Major Nelson

Angry Joe: Xbox One AJ Interview Discussion & Story

Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #49
Donut
Side-Kick

The fact that so many different Microsoft people are saying different things. It is definitely best with waiting & seeing how this all plays out

Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #50
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

What he says in the video is interesting. I like the sound of the discless game library that you can take anywhere but I'll need a much bigger hard drive than 500GB if I'm going to install all my games. Have about 300GB just of XBLA games & retail DLC (never mind installed retail games...only have a couple at a time). And if Microsoft are going to be doing all this new stuff their clarity of communication just needs to be 100 times better.