The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #751
Benstamania
Shot first.

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

More proof to a October PS4 launch...

PlayStation Saudi Arabia (which is a thing I guess) said "ready for October?". And showed a trailer of ps4 games.

Revelation 22:20
Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #752
X Knight
Straight Edge

it's amazing how close we are to the start of the next gen of gaming!!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #753
Benstamania
Shot first.

Yeah, I'm even more excited now that my stuffs all paid off.. Outside of tw games.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #754
Silvermoth
Avenger

I preordered my console last weekend can't wait, I'm getting ass creed 4 first (coincidentally ass creed 2 was the first game I got for my 360).

I'm flirting with killzone at the moment but I might get that later

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #755
X Knight
Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I preordered my console last weekend can't wait, I'm getting ass creed 4 first (coincidentally ass creed 2 was the first game I got for my 360).

I'm flirting with killzone at the moment but I might get that later
I read through your post really fast and it sounded like you were saying you're getting your ass kicked first..........lol

but hope you enjoy your PS4!!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #756
zenith16
Side-Kick

Gamescom 2013: SOE talks game shutdowns, The Matrix Online

(1 hour ago)
Sci-Fi, Events (Real-World), MMO Industry, The Matrix Online, News Items, Subscription, MMORPG

Sony Online Entertainment's Linda "Brasse" Carlson took the stage at Gamescom to talk about SOE's approach to community management, and in the process delivered a little insight into how studios can (and should) approach shutting down MMOs with waning or nonexistent player populations.

Carlson used Monolith Productions' The Matrix Online as an example, explaining that the game's population had dipped down to fewer than 500 players by the time the decision was made to take it offline in 2009.
The breaking point where cost of maintenance just to keep the game up was ridiculous. Sometimes you just have to shut these games down.
Determining when and how to sunset an MMO is never an easy task; Carlson noted that a studio should never "belittle the people who are deeply emotionally upset" about their favorite title shutting down.

The talk wasn't all about shutdowns, however: Carlson also discussed Sony's community management philosophy, which includes showing empathy to players, protecting developers from abuse, and using the player-driven community council to make more educated and agreeable decisions about the future of its games.

Gamasutra has a nice collection of quotes from the presentation, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #757
BattleCat
Side-Kick

I hope they're announcing a price drop for the Vita.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #758
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I wish MMOs could also work as a offline computer player filled single-player experience, I wanted to play The Matrix Online once upon a time. I haven't put too much money into DCUO as it will eventually be shut down as well...eventually.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #759
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I like how there will be strong attention to indie games.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #760
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I wish MMOs could also work as a offline computer player filled single-player experience, I wanted to play The Matrix Online once upon a time. I haven't put too much money into DCUO as it will eventually be shut down as well...eventually.
hmm I some how doubt that. I think DUCO and others are or will be doing better do to the fact it's on both platforms and the model it has now, compared to the matrix which was sub and had only one out let. if the matrix online had come now it would have been in a better place, then it was back then.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #761
BattleCat
Side-Kick

I hope they're announcing a price drop for the Vita.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #762
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I like how there will be strong attention to indie games.
Sony has to know that 50 Million dollar et games won't last. A few companies like Naughty Dog and SSM may be granted that sum.. But I see the era of AAA budgeted games drawing to a close.. We're getting indy games that are just as good if nit better than some 60 dollar games.

Now I'm not saying we won't be getting AAA games.. I just think sooner or later they're gonna have to slow down and not every developer will be granted large sums of money. As nice as Sony is playing with Indy devs.. If and when that happens... Sony will have them all in their back pocket.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #763
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The top AAA games with 5 single player DLCs are doing fine and making a massive chunk of their money from the easy to distribute DRM restricted DLC. A successful game like Tomb Raider supposedly missed its targets but issued no single player DLC, actually wasting money on a multiplayer mode and support of it that I don't think generated any money. And microtransactions offer further low cost revenue opportunities to well entrenched franchises in particular. You have to change with the market.

The games below AAA have no reason to have such huge budgets or to be pricing at the full $60. I see AAA games as here to stay and flourish for the long term while the mid range B-AA to struggle unless they change their practises.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #764
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I hope to see more new franchises on this system too. I think most developers are doing that now on the PS4 though?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #765
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I read through your post really fast and it sounded like you were saying you're getting your ass kicked first..........lol

but hope you enjoy your PS4!!!
Haha, thanks! I must say the playstation community seems nicer than the Xbox one but maybe that's just here.

I reckon the new franchises will take a while to arrive. I mean, how long after launch did bioshock arrive?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #766
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Not sure if this has been posted already but the operating temp of the PS4 has been revealed. You can check out the link below but basically the system is set to run between 5 and 35 degrees Celsius which is down from the 45 to 55 Celsius of the PS3. A cooler running system is great news imo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...-playstation-3

Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #767
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The top AAA games with 5 single player DLCs are doing fine and making a massive chunk of their money from the easy to distribute DRM restricted DLC. A successful game like Tomb Raider supposedly missed its targets but issued no single player DLC, actually wasting money on a multiplayer mode and support of it that I don't think generated any money. And microtransactions offer further low cost revenue opportunities to well entrenched franchises in particular. You have to change with the market.

The games below AAA have no reason to have such huge budgets or to be pricing at the full $60. I see AAA games as here to stay and flourish for the long term while the mid range B-AA to struggle unless they change their practises.
To be fair, Square-Enix's targets for Tomb Raider were unrealistic to begin with.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #768
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
To be fair, Square-Enix's targets for Tomb Raider were unrealistic to begin with.
They were targets made by people who obviously have no idea of how sales numbers work. If you look back at the sales of successful games over history those targets make no sense at all. But that just reinforces the point that AAA is in no trouble at all. Even the ones that supposedly slip are doing fine and that's without exploiting the massive moneymaking potential of 5 800 MSP DLC packs and microtransactions. The studios below AAA who have big budgets and price at $60 are in trouble as they have an unsustainable business model.

I don't think AAA games have ever been stronger. There are so many franchises that I think now will never die. Any competent team could pump out a title in those franchises every 4 years just integrating all technological developments but not going too much further...consistently putting out an 8/10 game and I'm confident that (inclusive of DLC & microtransactions) they'd always make a lot of money. Of course when games start getting ridiculous and annualising there is a deserved risk of burnout but that can be sorted out by waiting a decent length of time again.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #769
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

A cooling system very great news!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #770
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I can't believe they okayed a budget like that for a franchise that was essentially dead. It ended up doing pretty well overall, much better than I expected, but it's nuts that it supposedly had up to a 100 million budget.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #771
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

So with"Playstation Live" we watch/enter spectate mode to see our friends play live in real time!?,Is it just to see our friends or we can actually watch strangers play??,I'm guessing it's just like when watching a stream on a site..But players and through the console

I knew about the feature But don't know exactly how it works

Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #772
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm looking forward to more indie titles. Triple a titles are fun but experiences like journey and limbo are the ones that stay with you

Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #773
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I'm looking forward to more indie titles. Triple a titles are fun but experiences like journey and limbo are the ones that stay with you
Exactly. AAA can pull it off too (The Last Of Us), but indies are creating memorable, unique experiences every week. So far the big teams have just presented more shooters.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #774
Havok83
Side-Kick

I think the indie stuff was really more important for the Vita, than the PS4. Original reports said Gamescom would have a heavy focus on the Vita and that's what happened. It shows Sony is behind it and pushing new original titles for it. Personally, I think Id prefer those smaller scale titles on a handheld than on my PS4 so if I were to get a Vita, that would be the place Id play them. Im not a big fan of playing a retail like experience like God of War for example on a handheld so the indie stuff is very welcomed.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #775
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Here are the 33 games that will be out for the PS4 by the end of the year:
  • NBA 2K14
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Battlefield 4
  • Madden 25
  • FIFA 14