The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #76
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - Part 83

I thought the tornado scene was perfect. Loved the way Costner acted, loved the "not yet" kind of mentality

Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #77
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
Hey Hopeful, what did you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Is she really disappointed? I'm not home yet and I'm having the hardest time getting through the boards on my phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Yep.
You guys are sweet

I'll be okay. It's just a weird experience for me to go through.

Beyond all the other problems that I think the film has, the ending just knocked the wind out of me... and I sort of knew it was coming from getting bits of spoilers. I knew he was going to die... I just didn't know it would be so brutal, and I thought they would say something more about it.

I dunno... it just really hit me emotionally, like it was the last thing I could take while struggling to stand straight under the weight of all the other flaws, and it properly toppled me over.

I'm seeing it again on Sunday night with some friends, and i'm hoping I may have had enough time to deal with the issues I have with the film by then. Maybe i'll enjoy it more the second time round.

If not, I guess... well... that's just the way it is

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #78
whatthehckeric
Newbie First Class

The amount of Superman shirts I've seen 10 hours before the premiere yesterday walking in and out the theater shows that Superman is still a VERY relevant character to me. It's just about doing him justice and I honestly believe this movie has done that; even if it isn't a perfect movie, it shows to the GA that he IS the Gdaddy of all superheroes.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #79
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehckeric View Post
Don't worry man, the movie was SOLID. No movie is perfect, and this movie is far from being terrible. I believe we're just discussing the flaws because we ALL were pretty much set with high expectations with the way the movie was marketed. But trust me, this is Superman like you've never seen him before in live action, and that, my friend, is a good thing.
Well, people must have had some really high expectations since the only things that I keep reading about when I come here now is how people hated this and that. Frankly, I feel like the only things that people were raving about was the action. If we were to go by that notion, then if you took away how much people love the cast and action, then the rest of the film seemingly looks like it would be destroyed in the same manner that Green Lantern was by fans.

If the film was so great, then why are so many people (not only critics, but fans as well) so pissed off and angry about the film?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #80
acedrake
Side-Kick

WOW! What a movie, I dare say one of the best movies I have ever seen by far. And probably t he best superhero movie ever made/ Better than avengers and TDK. I went in with a little apprehension because of all the negative talk and the Rotten reviews...but darn if those reviewers saw a different movie than I did. Just an all around fantastic movie. Epic win for the movie

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #81
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Well herolee, I greatly disagree with you, and I'm sorry that other people's reactions have ruined your experience before you had a chance to see the movie.I hope that you feel differently after you watch it.

Romans 8:38-39
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #82
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
You guys are sweet

Beyond all the other problems that I think the film has, the ending just knocked the wind out of me... and I sort of knew it was coming from getting bits of spoilers. I knew he was going to die... I just didn't know it would be so brutal, and I thought they would say something more about it.

I dunno... it just really hit me emotionally, like it was the last thing I could take while struggling to stand straight under the weight of all the other flaws, and it properly toppled me over.

I'm seeing it again on Sunday night with some friends, and i'm hoping I may have had enough time to deal with the issues I have with the film by then. Maybe i'll enjoy it more the second time round.

Yeah,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Zod's death
really pissed me off too. I've been anticipating the film for years, and I feel like if they just could have changed that, it would have been the best superhero movie ever, but that just may have ruined the whole thing for me.

**** you, David Goyer, for toying with my emotions like that.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #83
GreenKToo
In the fire

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-...e-philippines/
120/132 mill this weekend.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-14-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #84
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well, people must have had some really high expectations since the only things that I keep reading about when I come here now is how people hated this and that. Frankly, I feel like the only things that people were raving about was the action. If we were to go by that notion, then if you took away how much people love the cast and action, then the rest of the film seemingly looks like it would be destroyed in the same manner that Green Lantern was by fans.

If the film was so great, then why are so many people (not only critics, but fans as well) so pissed off and angry about the film?
I really would recommend trying to blank out other people's stuff, because it is totally possible you will have a totally different experience to people like myself. I was one of the unlucky ones. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones

But if it makes you feel any better, I felt that the past few days of lowering expectations definitely made the experiance less tormenting to me. Cause if i'd gone in with the sky high expectations i'd had just a week ago, I dread to think how bad that comedown would have been

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #85
doobie
Side-Kick

I loved the cast and character moments but I thought the action was the worst part. It was too chaotic and hard to follow. There was an internet fan film a couple of years ago where they mixed footage from SR with a Doomsday figure from a video game and it looked like a movie of Supes fighting Doomsday, and that fight was more exciting than the ones in MOS imo.

Having said that I did love the film's overall story and I am excited for the sequel. I just can't stop thinking about how the few bits that left me cold could have been better.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #86
addison81
Side-Kick

Saw this last nite. I enjoyed it. I felt the story was too choppy but the action was amazing ( even if the cg was a bit much at times). My favorite part was the opening Krypton stuff. I loved how scifi it was. I was expecting more but still liked it and look forward to owning it.

Oh and sorry if its been discussed, but did they explain why young Clark was running around in a red cape? Was it just a good guess on his part?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #87
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
It's kind of sad to see that we have more people talking about the issues they had with the film than talking about how they liked it. Kind of says a lot about the film's quality imho.

Meh, t minus a few more hours before I can see the film where apparently more people are disappointed in than SR itself.

I can't remember the last time a superhero wasn't nitpicked to death on these boards. I knew going in that no matter how good the film was people would find a reason to complain. No Superman movie will ever be good enough. You just have to see for yourself and decide.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #88
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

The part where pa kent goes back for the dog was ridiculous. Everyone I've talked to thought that was a lame reason to die. :/
Thankfully the rest of the film rocked.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #89
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I really would recommend trying to blank out other people's stuff, because it is totally possible you will have a totally different experience to people like myself. I was one of the unlucky ones. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones

But if it makes you feel any better, I felt that the past few days of lowering expectations definitely made the experiance less tormenting to me. Cause if i'd gone in with the sky high expectations i'd had just a week ago, I dread to think how bad that comedown would have been

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have such a good experience seeing the film Hopeful. Honestly though, even IF I did like the film after seeing it (which I will in a few hours from now), it won’t really matter anymore since from my POV, the thing that was just as equally important to me in liking the film as well, was having the film met with a great response by a lot of folks. I wanted this to really soar with a lot of people. MOS just further proves that Superman can’t seemingly get most people behind him whenever he comes out with a reboot as of late, while characters like Spider-Man and Batman are seemingly able to.

I wasn’t expecting a perfect film, nor did I think that everyone would love it. But by god, I didn’t think it’d be hated this much by so many people.

And honestly, I agree with many of the things that you've said about Superman in the past so if you didn't like the film, chances are that I won't.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #90
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
You guys are sweet

Yeah, I felt that way about Batman Begins. I was looking forward to that film for what felt like forever and when I finally saw it, I had quite a few problems with it. It certainly knocked the wind out of my sails.

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #91
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Is there an after credit scene???

Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #92
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

Just got back from MOS and I LOVED it!

Please everyone do NOT listen to the critics! Go see it!

Some thoughts:
-The first half hour is a bloody mess! This is the only part of the movie where I will concede to the critics. It plays like some sci-fi B-movie only worse. It is unbearably choppy with so many zoom in shots that you can barely tell what is going on. I tell you I was worried, but I knew the movie was supposed to get better and it did.
-Once Kevin Costner comes on screen the movie settles down and I started enjoying it more as it no longer seemed to be going a mile a minute, but it was still slightly choppy.
-Once Cavill first flies with his Superman suit is when the movie takes off and never looks back. From this point on the movie is simply great. The zoom in shots and choppiness are gone. The second half really is really like a completely different movie. It does not even feel like it has the same director.
-The acting is phenomenal with not one weak link in the cast. Even the acting in the beginning was good despite virtually everything else being bad.
-Shannon is awesome and he is not upstaged by Antje Trauer as Faora. She is good, too, but he is the main villain and he gives a great, multi-dimensional performance.
-MOS is a mixture of comic book, science fiction, and traditional movie making. It combines the best of everything. The dialogue may have been a little corny, but I thought it had a great storyline.
-MOS has a heart and you care about the characters. There is emotion and humor, too. So I am not sure many critics even actually saw the same movie.
-Henry Cavill is better than I could have ever imagined. I knew he had the perfect Superman look, but I was surprised about what a fine actor he is. He is simply a perfect Kal-El/ Clark Kent/Superman in every way. Zack Snyder deserves extra points for picking this guy

I am sure I will have more to add in the coming days as I am seeing it again tomorrow. Can't wait!!!

Last edited by Princess Denise; 06-14-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #93
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

On behalf of the fans, this is the same thing that happened with The Dark Knight Rises. A lot of people went in with massively high expectations off the back of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but not only did the film not live up to its predecessor, for some it was couldn't even come close to the calibre of either film.

Honestly, the film is good. Very good, it deserves higher on RT than what it has got, however, in my opinion, it is not as good as Batman Begins. It's got structural problems, mainly:

some of the editing, it seems very choppy in places
this makes the film feel a little bloated
despite the runtime, there's areas of the origin not covered

However, that's about it. I have personal problems with it too, there was a bit too much action for my tastes, and I thought the Metropolis battle was too big, the scale of destruction was too high fora film. But overall it's a great film and in my opinion, better than many other superhero films.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #94
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
The part where pa kent goes back for the dog was ridiculous. Everyone I've talked to thought that was a lame reason to die. :/

I've owned one pet in my lifetime that I would of gone back to save. I had a golden retriever , but he was run over by a drunk driver trying to evade the cops

Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #95
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post

There isn't a post credits scene, 100% confirmed, I stayed twice after the credits.
But it's worth to stay in your seat just for the music.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #96
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
Nope. This isn't a Marvel film.

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel
Old 06-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #97
gkokujin
Side-Kick

I'm late coming to the boards but did anyone catch the homage to Donners Superman 1 movie?

when i saw it i almost cried.

and i cried a few times during this movie. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #98
Andreth
Side-Kick

I would have gone back for my 15 year old dog too, I get that, it's just that Clark could have been the one doing it at normal human speed.

It was ridiculous and ruined Jonathan's death for me.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #99
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
On behalf of the fans, this is the same thing that happened with The Dark Knight Rises. A lot of people went in with massively high expectations off the back of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but not only did the film not live up to its predecessor, for some it was couldn't even come close to the calibre of either film.

Honestly, the film is good. Very good, it deserves higher on RT than what it has got, however, in my opinion, it is not as good as Batman Begins. It's got structural problems, mainly:

some of the editing, it seems very choppy in places
this makes the film feel a little bloated
despite the runtime, there's areas of the origin not covered

However, that's about it. I have personal problems with it too, there was a bit too much action for my tastes, and I thought the Metropolis battle was too big, the scale of destruction was too high fora film. But overall it's a great film and in my opinion, better than many other superhero films.

Well the difference here is though at least most people could say that TDKR was at least great; most of the recent comments that we've been getting about MOS as of late is that it's just "good", not great or even excellent.

Frankly, I think the whole fact that the "general audiences" liked it is mainly because of the action and the fact that the weren't really expecting as much due to not following the film's progress like we all were.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #100
gkokujin
Side-Kick

OH yeah, i left the boards after reading a VERY BIG spoiler. SO when the scene came, i knew it was coming and it STILL shocked me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Closed Thread