The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #101
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - Part 83

I liked this movie way more than Batman Begins. I will NEVER understand the love for that film. Everyone told me how awesome it was including the critics and to this day I think myself and everyone else saw a different movie.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #102
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I love BB and I think I love MOS as an equal when compared, both had everything I had hoped for from the films.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #103
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well the difference here is though at least most people could say that TDKR was at least great; most of the recent comments that we've been getting about MOS as of late is that it's just "good", not great or even excellent.
Not quite, go and read some of the reactions to it, even now user: The Joker is still saying why the film is the worst of the trilogy, but still calls it a "good" film. There are critics who also think it is Nolan's worst film

Quote:
Frankly, I think the whole fact that the "general audiences" liked it is mainly because of the action and the fact that the weren't really expecting as much due to not following the film's progress like we all were.
Does that mattter? People like what they like and a great deal of people like Man of Steel. Critics focus on construction points, but not the regular joes.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #104
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Film is subjective. Watch it for yourself and form your own opinion.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #105
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by That person View Post
Yeah,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Zod's death
really pissed me off too. I've been anticipating the film for years, and I feel like if they just could have changed that, it would have been the best superhero movie ever, but that just may have ruined the whole thing for me.

**** you, David Goyer, for toying with my emotions like that.
Exactly why it was done, Goyer deliberately wanted a visceral response from the fandom and such a polarizing scene was one of those things that would make people talk about it and cause debates. They wanted this response, IMO of course.

As for ISS and Becks responses to the film, am I in Bizarro World?!? Before the spoilers started coming out, I was in the mind that ISS would hate and Becky would love it. But as soon as I read how Zod dies, I knew she would have hated it, especially with her comments in a certain thread.

Personally I would have ended it the same way. Grief stricken Clark and all.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #106
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
OH yeah, i left the boards after reading a VERY BIG spoiler. SO when the scene came, i knew it was coming and it STILL shocked me!

Which spoiler are you referring to?

If you mean when Superman kills Zod...my heart was beating as Zod kept using Heat Vision towards the family, I was literally scared for Superman and the family. When he snaps his neck, I was shocked as ****.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #107
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Sorry to hear that you didnít have such a good experience seeing the film Hopeful. Honestly though, even IF I did like the film after seeing it (which I will in a few hours from now), it wonít really matter anymore since from my POV, the thing that was just as equally important to me in liking the film as well, was having the film met with a great response by a lot of folks. I wanted this to really soar with a lot of people. MOS just further proves that Superman canít seemingly get most people behind him whenever he comes out with a reboot as of late, while characters like Spider-Man and Batman are seemingly able to.

I wasnít expecting a perfect film, nor did I think that everyone would love it. But by god, I didnít think itíd be hated this much by so many people.

And honestly, I agree with many of the things that you've said about Superman in the past so if you didn't like the film, chances are that I won't.
Yeah that's why I was getting so bummed out before having seen it cause of the bad reviews. I really did want a movie that I could be proud of instead of one my mum would still think of as 'silly nonsense'.

And yeah, i'd have felt very much the same way if it was you

But you never know! So clear you mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Before the spoilers started coming out, I was in the mind that ISS would hate and Becky would love it. But as soon as I read how Zod dies, I knew she would have hated it, especially with her comments in a certain thread.

Personally I would have ended it the same way. Grief stricken Clark and all.
Well yeah, I mean I was almost as passionate about that as Kurosawa.

Was weirdly the one thing we agreed on

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #108
Neonzel
Side-Kick

Here is a very lengthy review:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #109
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Which spoiler are you referring to?

If you mean when Superman kills Zod...my heart was beating as Zod kept using Heat Vision towards the family, I was literally scared for Superman and the family. When he snaps his neck, I was shocked as ****.
yeah that scene!

and how many of you saw this homage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #110
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Good to hear!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #111
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
I would have gone back for my 15 year old dog too, I get that, it's just that Clark could have been the one doing it at normal human speed.

It was ridiculous and ruined Jonathan's death for me.
That's a good point. It reminds me of the "lackey Superman" (portrayed in Miller's Dark Knight Returns) who does everything he's told. Maybe Goyer's a fan of that characterization of Supes..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #112
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah that's why I was getting so bummed out before having seen it cause of the bad reviews. I really did want a movie that I could be proud of instead of one my mum would still think of as 'silly nonsense'.

And yeah, i'd have felt very much the same way if it was you

But you never know! So clear you mind!

Well yeah, I mean I was almost as passionate about that as Kurosawa.

Was weirdly the one thing we agreed on
I think I threw up in my mouth a bit on that last sentence.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. But did you at least like Amy's Lois Lane or the hotness that was Faora/Hardy?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #113
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I liked this movie way more than Batman Begins. I will NEVER understand the love for that film. Everyone told me how awesome it was including the critics and to this day I think myself and everyone else saw a different movie.
THANK YOU...

It wasn't even really Batman to me. It was as if someone had heard of batman and made a brooding movie about him and left out what made him the legend i've read about in comics all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #114
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

This was the Superman film I've been waiting to see since Superman II was released back in 1980 when I was only 12. I've always wondered how a fully fleshed out epic battle between Superman and Zod would present itself onscreen using today's modern filmmaking technologies, and in that regard, I was completely ecstatic with what the film dished out.

The film had a few WTF moments for me, such as when Lois Lane is running around on..... and is being guided by...... and is... well, anyways, yes, that left me shaking my head a bit. It didn't need to be written into the story.

I didn't care for the Pa Kent /Tornado, scene... it didn't have to play out as it did , in my humble estimation.

I'm sure there are other flaws that are less egregious but those two primarily come to mind.

BUT, this was still the Superman Movie I've been waiting to see for 33 years, and nothing detracted from my enjoyment of the movie.

Cavil was more than adequate in the role, and I did have my concerns going into the movie that he would come off as less than capable....

Amy Adams, was, take her or leave her. She was fine I suppose.

The rest of the cast delivered like champs. Costner in particular was so very good in his portrayal of Pa Kent. Diane Lane and Michael Shannon also turned in top shelf performances.

Another concern comes to mind. What happens next? When you go so very Big in the opening movie, you have nowhere else to go but smaller in scale? When the entire planet is threatened by a madman, how do you top that in a follow up? Kind of the same problem Iron Man III had to cope with after following up the Avengers.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #115
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

This movie was phenomenal! Cavills acting was also very good. I totally believed him as Superman.

I also can't believe that after years of talking about needing more action in a Superman movie, some are complaining of too much action in MOS. Ridiculous! It was a splendid mix of action and story.

It had funny moments too, I also teared up during a few scenes where I wasn't expecting to. All in all, great movie. I will go see it again at least 3 more times in theatres, but probably more.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #116
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. But did you at least like Amy's Lois Lane or the hotness that was Faora/Hardy?
Did you see it yet, LL?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #117
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I have to ask the big question. The films flaws, who was at fault: Goyer or Snyder?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #118
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Loca, even I can't fully explain why I loved the ending. I mean you would think with my past comments that I would hate such a thing in a Superman movie, you would think that I'd hate a grounded and serious Superman movie period and here we are. I borderline love the movie and can't stop thinking about it.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 06-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #119
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post

Another concern comes to mind. What happens next? When you go so very Big in the opening movie, you have nowhere else to go but smaller in scale? When the entire planet is threatened by a madman, how do you top that in a follow up? Kind of the same problem Iron Man III had to cope with after following up the Avengers.
well apparently they have an idea for 2 so they fast tracked it but Superman has plenty of big threat villains to match or surpass what Zod did

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #120
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Did you see it yet, LL?
Not yet, planning on it this weekend.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #121
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Not yet, planning on it this weekend.
see it before forming an opinion

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #122
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
I have to ask the big question. The films flaws, who was at fault: Goyer or Snyder?
Both. There were editing problems that fall on the shoulders of Snyder and narrative problems that fall on Goyer's.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #123
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Well, the script was the weakest point. Everything else was phenomenal in my opinion; so I'm gonna go with Goyer.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #124
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

I know, right?

Amy's Lois... she had a couple of awesome very Lois lines in the beginning, but other than that there wasn't much going in with her characterisation.

You could see that her and Henry have good chemistry

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #125
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
yeah that scene!

and how many of you saw this homage?

I did,
when the nano's were forming images and telling clark a visual story while jor-el narrated?

Closed Thread