The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: "S" plastic shield vs broken neck.
"S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies. 7 6.93%
Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives. 94 93.07%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #701
mackblack01
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I'd like to point out another reason why killing Zod was wrong for this movie that people seem to be overlooking...

What is Superman's purpose?? SIMPLE...it is to be the Man of Tomorrow...to inspire people to become better...for humanity as a whole to be in awe and hope to follow his great example. In that, he IS like Jesus. People will stumble, but through his example, they will hopefully someday walk with him.

Now...it is IRREFUTABLE that this is the purpose of Superman. Even THIS MOVIE makes that claim!

Now...how did Superman win this fight?

Well...he was stronger/more powerful than Zod...and he snapped Zod's neck.

The message is..."If you are more powerful than your obstacle...you can snap its neck."

Does that inspire hope? Does that make YOU want to become a better person? If anything, it says that you should get stronger, so you can overpower others if needed.

This movie had a theme of "you can reach beyond your supposed lot in life...you can be MORE than what you were born into." That is flat out stated in the film.

Well...Superman was more powerful than Zod. Did he "overcome" a stronger opponent? No, he did not. He always had the advantage in that regard...and it is WITH that advantage that he won the battle.

Now...what WOULD inspire hope? What WOULD make us feel that even WE could reach beyond our limitations and become something more than what is intended for us?

Well...Zod was a weaker opponent (most Superman opponents are weaker than him...the physical threat is VERY RARELY the main cause for concern)...but Zod DID have advantages. Zod was a master strategist...while Clark was a simple farm boy. Zod was a trained warrior, while Clark had never been in a fight. Zod was ruthless and willing to kill billions of bystanders to win, while Clark's compassion to save others limited his ability to fight. Superman's ONLY advantage was that he was more powerful than Zod.

So...the answer is...in order to inspire hope...in order to make me think that I can reach beyond my own limitations and frailties...Superman should have outsmarted Zod. THAT is a hope-filled message. that is an inspirational message.

Instead, Clark won with brute strength...using the physical advantages he had over his weaker opponent. I learned NOTHING from that example since I am not superhuman, nor do I even see dominant strength as necessarily a moral or hope-filled trait.

By killing Zod, Superman went against the theme of this movie AS WELL as the core reason for Superman's existence.

Superman's actions tell the OPPOSITE message of what the movie was trying to send, not to mention the opposite of what the character has been about for decades.
100% agree!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #702
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I feel like he may feel guilt over this in the sequels. It was interesting that Supes and Zod were paralleled on this point. Zod said that Jor-El's death "haunts me" but that "he would do it again" because it was in the best interests of his people, Krypton. Will Zod's death haunt Superman similarly?

Didn't even think about that, the parallels to Zod killing Jor El. That would be awesome.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #703
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Trained all his life to adapt to a Sun he's never seen in his life? That was never implicitly or explicitly stated. However he did spend a tremendous amount of time speechifying his "purpose" in Kryptonian civilization.

I get what the movie told me as far as trying to tune out the static, but again that's my issue with so many elements in this movie. I'm "told" everything as a way of moving the plot along.
character motivation is a great deal more important than making sure everyone is on board with the finer workings of super powers.
Kid got bit by a spider, can do back flips up buildings in a week....

If you're asking why he's such a good flyer. I can't answer that. I can see how it ruins things for you.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #704
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
What is Superman's purpose?? SIMPLE...it is to be the Man of Tomorrow...to inspire people to become better...for humanity as a whole to be in awe and hope to follow his great example. In that, he IS like Jesus. People will stumble, but through his example, they will hopefully someday walk with him.

Now...it is IRREFUTABLE that this is the purpose of Superman. Even THIS MOVIE makes that claim!
Really, superman's purpose boils down to a simple tag line?

Superman's parents sent their only begotten son down a celestial river stream and hoped for the best, he grew up, performed wonders and saved everyone. That sounds more like Moses. Considering he was created by a couple of jews, I suppose we should be comparing his character to Mosses right? And the specific character standard that guy represents...in that case, case closed.

Superman's purpose is alot more complex than just inspiring the audience...Spiderman has a "purpose" too, and it's not so simple or set in stone.

Quote:
Now...how did Superman win this fight?

Well...he was stronger/more powerful than Zod...and he snapped Zod's neck.

The message is..."If you are more powerful than your obstacle...you can snap its neck."

Does that inspire hope? Does that make YOU want to become a better person? If anything, it says that you should get stronger, so you can overpower others if needed.
Superman also offers himself up for dissection to the enemy for the sake of a world full of idiotic strangers that toss bear in his face(jesus would be proud), he fights for them, bleeds for them and even compromises his own values(imagine that) for us.

Yes, this inspires hope in me. Makes me want to become a better person, yes. The good guy doing everything he can to stop the bad guy...I want to be better now. How many ways does a story have to make a point before you are satisfied?

I don't understand why you would cover your ears to all this glorious good stuff, just because they are missing out on a specific plotting you want.

Quote:
This movie had a theme of "you can reach beyond your supposed lot in life...you can be MORE than what you were born into." That is flat out stated in the film.
A planet where everyone is a test tube baby and born into an ant colony like role. A child is born naturally and chooses to become a hero for no other reason than that it's right and His Choice. Point is made loud and clear.

Clark strove to be more than what he would have otherwise been born into. Whether that be a worker ant on Krypton like all his brothers or a mundane famers in a small town. Loud and clear.

Quote:
Now...what WOULD inspire hope? What WOULD make us feel that even WE could reach beyond our limitations and become something more than what is intended for us?
That above point checks all your boxes and then some.

Last edited by Marvin; 06-17-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #705
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick

Also, what did Superman learn about killing except that it works?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #706
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
Also, what did Superman learn about killing except that it works?
Judging by his reaction, that it isn't something he's particularly fond of doing.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #707
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick

"Compromises his values"?

When? When he killed Zod? Because I don't have any idea whether THIS superman cares about killing or not. Maybe he loves it. Maybe that scream at the end was because he doesn't have any more Kryptonians he can kill.

I know that's being silly, but the whole question of "to kill or not to kill" is never raised in the movie. So to act like we are supposed to interpret this as some character defining moment for the character doesn't work

Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #708
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I don't have a problem with Supes killing Zod. Superman did it in Superman 2 and Superman does it in the comics (John Byrne run).

Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #709
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I don't have a problem with Supes killing Zod. Superman did it in Superman 2 and Superman does it in the comics (John Byrne run).
Less is more .... and that is what killed it for me with the Zod fight. It was just two behemoths slamming each other around for a really long time (something we had already seen in the Smallville fight). And by the time we get to that scene where Zod attempts to fry the civilians, I was completely detached from the film.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #710
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Really, superman's purpose boils down to a simple tag line?

Superman's parents sent their only begotten son down a celestial river stream and hoped for the best, he grew up, performed wonders and saved everyone. That sounds more like Moses. Considering he was created by a couple of jews, I suppose we should be comparing his character to Mosses right? And the specific character standard that guy represents...in that case, case closed.

Superman's purpose is alot more complex than just inspiring the audience...Spiderman has a "purpose" too, and it's not so simple or set in stone.

Superman also offers himself up for dissection to the enemy for the sake of a world full of idiotic strangers that toss bear in his face(jesus would be proud), he fights for them, bleeds for them and even compromises his own values(imagine that) for us.

Yes, this inspires hope in me. Makes me want to become a better person, yes. The good guy doing everything he can to stop the bad guy...I want to be better now. How many ways does a story have to make a point before you are satisfied?

I don't understand why you would cover your ears to all this glorious good stuff, just because they are missing out on a specific plotting you want.

A planet where everyone is a test tube baby and born into an ant colony like role. A child is born naturally and chooses to become a hero for no other reason than that it's right and His Choice. Point is made loud and clear.

Clark strove to be more than what he would have otherwise been born into. Whether that be a worker ant on Krypton like all his brothers or a mundane famers in a small town. Loud and clear.

That above point checks all your boxes and then some.
Kal was sent to earth to be game changer. Jor-el did not send him to earth thinking he'd be a farmer. His role was to be the hero...the Kents kind of tried to talk him out of it...but he could not resist the pull of being a game changer.

When a stronger man snaps the neck of a weaker man, that does NOT inspire hope in me. I'm not very strong, and would lose most fights if I got in any. I GUESS this movie makes me want to train to become a better fighter so I can snap necks. A stronger man snapping a weaker man's neck does NOT show that the strong man is rising above limitations.

Superman should be better than this.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #711
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Less is more .... and that is what killed it for me with the Zod fight. It was just two behemoths slamming each other around for a really long time (something we had already seen in the Smallville fight).
And Matrix, with better flying I felt.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #712
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:

When? When he killed Zod? Because I don't have any idea whether THIS superman cares about killing or not. Maybe he loves it. Maybe that scream at the end was because he doesn't have any more Kryptonians he can kill.

I know that's being silly, but the whole question of "to kill or not to kill" is never raised in the movie. So to act like we are supposed to interpret this as some character defining moment for the character doesn't work
Exactly...our only reason to think that Superman is opposed to killing is through other sources. It is never brought up in this movie.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #713
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Less is more .... and that is what killed it for me with the Zod fight. It was just two behemoths slamming each other around for a really long time (something we had already seen in the Smallville fight). And by the time we get to that scene where Zod attempts to fry the civilians, I was completely detached from the film.
No argument there from me. The fight was long, boring and repetitive (for me) but despite all that I didn't have a problem with Superman killing Zod.
No prison on this earth could have held him so Zod just start over if knocked unconscious.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #714
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And Matrix, with better flying I felt.
Leave 90's Supergirl out of this!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #715
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Exactly...our only reason to think that Superman is opposed to killing is through other sources. It is never brought up in this movie.
I think his reaction afterwards does that aplenty.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #716
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Leave 90's Supergirl out of this!
Does it really hurt that bad?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #717
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it got across he hated killing the last of his kind. Not any sweeping statement on killing in general. It didn't reflect anything either of his father's said.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #718
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I think it got across he hated killing the last of his kind. Not any sweeping statement on killing in general. It didn't reflect anything either of his father's said.
See I think it was both, but it needed the weight of Zod being the only other Kryptonian left to make it more than just a dogma of his, for the audience. I didn't doubt that he would have reacted the same if it was a regular human that he had to somehow kill to save some lives with no other choice.

I think a strange way it's also supported by all the scenes of his earlier days when he could have fought back but held it in. Like this last act wasnt a needed release of all the time he wished he did, it was traumatic. Almost like it was a nightmare of doing someone real damage in those days come true, even though it was a super-baddy.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #719
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Quote:

Yes it is, when Clark says he wanted to punch those bullies and Jonathan had a talk with him about being a good character or bad. It was definitely raised.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #720
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Again...movies have themes. This movie NEVER mentioned any sort of policy against killing. So, there is no reason to believe that his reaction afterwards was actually because of killing.

Now...in my opinion, it was because of killing...but SPECIFICALLY because of WHO he killed. He spent 20 years searching for answers about his homeland...and in one day he destroyed his only connection to his biological father and the culture and history of Krypton AND he terminated 1000 Kryptonian fetuses AND then he killed the last other Kryptonian. Given the theme of the movie, OF COURSE he cried out...his life's mission...the quest he was on for decades...resulted in him destroying/killing everything he was looking for!!! That has NO BEARING AT ALL on whether or not he'd kill some other person.

If you think that he cried out over guilt for killing...then you'll have to find some evidence in the movie where he had the morality that you should never kill a villain. Unfortunately, it is never mentioned.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #721
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Yes it is, when Clark says he wanted to punch those bullies and Jonathan had a talk with him about being a good character or bad. It was definitely raised.
Ad in the end, he snapped a weaker man's neck.

Great lesson there!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #722
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Ad in the end, he snapped a weaker man's neck.

Great lesson there!
... Weaker? He had the exact same powers but was trained and bred to be a warrior...

Sorry if that got in the way of all this reaching and exaggerating you're doing.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #723
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Again...movies have themes. This movie NEVER mentioned any sort of policy against killing. So, there is no reason to believe that his reaction afterwards was actually because of killing.

Now...in my opinion, it was because of killing...but SPECIFICALLY because of WHO he killed. He spent 20 years searching for answers about his homeland...and in one day he destroyed his only connection to his biological father and the culture and history of Krypton AND he terminated 1000 Kryptonian fetuses AND then he killed the last other Kryptonian. Given the theme of the movie, OF COURSE he cried out...his life's mission...the quest he was on for decades...resulted in him destroying/killing everything he was looking for!!! That has NO BEARING AT ALL on whether or not he'd kill some other person.

If you think that he cried out over guilt for killing...then you'll have to find some evidence in the movie where he had the morality that you should never kill a villain. Unfortunately, it is never mentioned.
Again, I think his earlier days not fighting back contributed to it...and this was sort of a nightmare come true from all those fears of seriously hurting or killing someone if he had. We see him bullied quite a bit...and in many stories. We'd see someone feel somehow empowered or relieved by finally 'stepping up'. This was the opposite.

And more importantly...I think that in this case, the writers knew that WE know that he has an innate aversion to killing when at all possible without having to spell it out so much. Should they have? Perhaps...i could understand thinking that's an oversight on their part, but I do not think that as writers they ignored or purposely skirted that part of his personal philosophy.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-17-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #724
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
... Weaker? He had the exact same powers but was trained and bred to be a warrior...

Sorry if that got in the way of all this reaching and exaggerating you're doing.
Yes, weaker. Superman had 33 years of exposure to the suns rays (the source of his powers) while Zod had 2 days, but most of that was spent being protected by the suns rays. Zod may have CLAIMED to have been as powerful, but it just doesn't make sense that he would be.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #725
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Quote:
Yes, weaker. Superman had 33 years of exposure to the suns rays (the source of his powers) while Zod had 2 days, but most of that was spent being protected by the suns rays. Zod may have CLAIMED to have been as powerful, but it just doesn't make sense that he would be.
Where was it established in the movie that Supes 33 years made him physically stronger than Zod's 2 days?

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Closed Thread