The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: "S" plastic shield vs broken neck.
"S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies. 7 6.93%
Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives. 94 93.07%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #926
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
You should be aware that in his earliest adventures, Superman was very grim and not afraid to take the life of criminals. What!? Yes, he even tossed gangsters in ways that never explicitly showed death, but were clearly violence that could lead to it. I guess that was not Superman either right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publica...ry_of_Superman

And no, they didn't shaft the Kents, that's why he's used his powers to save others since he was a kid. He's still inspiring because he saves people and tries to do the right thing, not because he's a perfect boy scout.
1. The Golden Age was retconned out in preference for what became the definitive Superman.
2. Batman used to use a gun, didn't seem to care at all about his parents, and was very openly racist. I expect that you are open to a movie about that Batman????

Clark used his powers as a kid to save people AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE KENTS. There is nothing in this film that suggests that he learned how to be a good man through them, and in fact, Snyder says that he he HAD to kill to understand that it was wrong.

Heretic is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #927
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 726
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I just got done listening to the Kevin Smith podcast where he and Ralph Garman discuss the film. I am actually amazed at just how many things Garman brought up in the discussion that have already been echoed on this very forum. It's like he's reading our posts lol.

But he brings up a very great point. The dramatic approach to Superman is by exploring his feelings after he fails to save innocents, not his feelings after he's just killed a man. Superman would be more distraught that he failed to save lives, not because he was put in a great moral dilemma. Because usually with Superman, there is no moral dilemma. He just does the right thing. He leads by example.

Imagine Zod had just killed that family right in front of Superman. THAT is the type of thing that would tear him apart inside. And when Superman finally does get the upper hand on Zod and he has the chance to kill him... he refuses. That sounds more like Superman to me.

Skrilla31 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #928
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Not sure...maybe, as Snyder said its "in his DNA."

The only reason why you THINK the Kents did is because you saw OTHER Superman stories.
The Kents were clearly morally confused and let him make up his own mind. It appears from statements by the director and the movie itself that Clark got everything either through chance of birthplace or he will have to learn on the job.
The only reason I think the Superman wasn't a bully like the many kids in kansas we saw, but rather someone doing good deeds from adolescence and doing really good self sacrificing deeds in adulthood is because he had good parents.

For all the lecturing you do on how obvious and essential that is in the books I find it odd that you can't see it here for what it is. Here's a question, what kinda man goes back for a dog?

"not sure, maybe?" that's not good enough. I asked you a simple question. Where did Clark get it. And again, you may want to revisit precisely what it was that snyder said about "dna" cause I think you are getting it wrong.

What is it John Kent tells he son about bullies after seeing his Clark bullied?
Selective hearing would have one assume it was something about the proper technique for snapping a grown man's neck.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #929
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
Superman...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
DOES NOT KILL!!
Except in the comics ,Which ironically, opened the door for this .

Mysteryman is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #930
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The only reason I think the Superman wasn't a bully like the many kids in kansas we saw, but rather someone doing good deeds from adolescence and doing really good self sacrificing deeds in adulthood is because he had good parents.

For all the lecturing you do on how obvious and essential that is in the books I find it odd that you can't see it here for what it is. Here's a question, what kinda man goes back for a dog?

"not sure, maybe?" that's not good enough. I asked you a simple question. Where did Clark get it. And again, you may want to revisit precisely what it was that snyder said about "dna" cause I think you are getting it wrong.

What is it John Kent tells he son about bullies after seeing his Clark bullied?
Selective hearing would have one assume it was something about the proper technique for snapping a grown man's neck.
Clark Kent is not a bully...great...neither am I. No one is calling me the Man of Tomorrow and suggesting that the world should be awed and inspired by my goodness.

In fact, since I'm not a thief (Clark is) and since I don't destroy public and private property over a petty grudge against a stranger, I am actually a BETTER man than Clark. And my parents were both moral garbage.

Heretic is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #931
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Except in the comics ,Which ironically, opened the door for this .
Comics had proper set up and fall out. This at the very least had no set up, and I hate to think that the next film will be angsty guilt-ridden Clark.

Heretic is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #932
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Clark Kent is not a bully...great...neither am I. No one is calling me the Man of Tomorrow and suggesting that the world should be awed and inspired by my goodness.

In fact, since I'm not a thief (Clark is) and since I don't destroy public and private property over a petty grudge against a stranger, I am actually a BETTER man than Clark. And my parents were both moral garbage.
Did you save a bus full of bullies when you were a kid at the risk of your own life?

If you say yes, and you have super powers, I think you should get the mod's to change your name to Man of Tomorrow.

Point being, he is what he is morally because of his parents, they seem like good people. All this talk of him doing good things AGAINST their wishes..when? Is there a scene where they pull out the belts and start taking turns condemning him for saving lives I missed somewhere.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #933
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Did you save a bus full of bullies when you were a kid at the risk of your own life?

If you say yes, and you have super powers, I think you should get the mod's to change your name to Man of Tomorrow.

Point being, he is what he is morally because of his parents, they seem like good people. All this talk of him doing good things AGAINST their wishes..when? Is there a scene where they pull out the belts and start taking turns condemning him for saving lives I missed somewhere.
Well...actually...I DID once risk my life to save a child that I happened to be walking past while on vacation...I ended up underneath a vehicle because of it (instead of her) and my leg has never been the same because of it.

Unlike Clark Kent...I can be hurt. I am a better man than Clark Kent.

After Clark saves the kids in the bus, Pa Kent gives him a talking to, suggesting that maybe he should let people die. Then...with his life on the line...Pa put his hand up to Clark saying "No...let me die rather than save me" and in fact...Pa never would have been in that situation had he let Clark save the dog. The lesson Pa was CLEARLY giving was "rather than expose yourself as having powers, let loved ones die."

Heretic is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #934
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Decided to have a look back through the old 'Should this Superman kill' discussions, which was really interesting to read.

Here were a couple of my posts from back then that I wanted to repeat:

I might dig through more at a later date. I know that Kurosawa had a lot to say on the matter, and since he can't be here to make those points in person, it might be interesting to revisit his POV in this debate.
Interesting the way things turned out. Though it doesn't seem like you went in with an open mind.

I was like you, and it appears nolan was too. However the both of us were convinced there is a better way to tell the story of the man who would be Superman.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #935
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Well...actually...I DID once risk my life to save a child that I happened to be walking past while on vacation...I ended up underneath a vehicle because of it (instead of her) and my leg has never been the same because of it.

Unlike Clark Kent...I can be hurt. I am a better man than Clark Kent.
Touching story, truly.
To be honest I'm of the mind that being indestructible kinda makes it easier to be brave, but that's another discussion. So you're not a bully, you saved a bus full of kids, so to speak, all you need now is powers and the title is yours.

btw superman isn't called "The man of tomorrow" simply because he's a really really nice guy.

Quote:
After Clark saves the kids in the bus, Pa Kent gives him a talking to, suggesting that maybe he should let people die.
When did he condemn the act? You've been saying this for the past few days. "Maybe" isn't a condemnation. It means I don't know. And that clark needs to decide what kind of man he wants to be. If he was raised right he will make the right choice.

Clark want's to know why he has to keep his powers a secret. Jon knows it's because of a several reasons(such as the end of the world if it get's out that there are aliens living in the US that look like anyone or/and that people won't start a big parade in his honor but maybe the opposite). What Jon says, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet is, you have to keep this side of you a secret. Ergo, maybe not parade your powers around and perhaps practice some discretion... Notice this kid wasn't trying to cover up his acts on the bus? Or in the classroom. And after jon didn't let him expose himself during his death, Clark went on using his powers but with discretion where possible...

Am I wrong?
Quote:
Then...with his life on the line...Pa put his hand up to Clark saying "No...let me die rather than save me" and in fact...Pa never would have been in that situation had he let Clark save the dog. The lesson Pa was CLEARLY giving was "rather than expose yourself as having powers, let loved ones die."
Jon never would have been in that situation if he had just let his super kid go and save the dog while he cowered under a bridge. Stupid yes, good father and moral inspiration even moreso. I wonder if Clark learned anything from this misguided coward.

The lesson there, Sacrifice yourself for the good of your boy and possibly the world. But that's my perspective.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.

Last edited by Marvin; 06-18-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #936
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 10,868
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Interesting the way things turned out. Though it doesn't seem like you went in with an open mind.

I was like you, and it appears nolan was too. However the both of us were convinced there is a better way to tell the story of the man who would be Superman.
Not about this one aspect, no.

But I really don't see that as a negative.

It just means I cared about it, and still do.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #937
Mysteryman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

[quote=alexnyc;26122827]well regardless of what anybody says....superman is the greatest superhero of all time!!! :d[/quote
THIS!


Last edited by Mysteryman; 06-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Mysteryman is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #938
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,717
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Just...not so much in the movies.....


At least not yet, but he'll get more chances.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #939
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 25,690
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Really? If you read it, you clearly ignored most of it.

In NO way was it because 'it would be cool.' It was EXPLICITLY done as a character defining moment.

Nolan WAS against it, adamantly so, to the extent that he didn't even want them to TRY writing it; UNTIL he read it.

The scene is truly a shocking moment.

Don't get me wrong, MOS is no TDK, and I usually hate when they kill off a villain after they've used him (or her) in a movie, but this was my absolute favourite execution (pardon me) of it in any superhero film.

Not just that I liked how it was done, but I felt it actually worked, and made sense within the film. It has FAR more weight than if he was just sucked into the Zone with everyone else.

It wasn't just to get rid of the villain, or give him an ending, but it was used as a truly character defining moment.
It read that Snyder didn't like the ending of Superman only (eventually) sending Zod back into the Phantom Zone along with Faora and the others. It wasn't epic or big enough for him. He wanted to kill Zod off.

So, then he proposed having Superman kill him. Nolan said that is crazy. Goyer came up with the rationalization that "It will help him develop his 'no kill rule'" and Snyder got to put his overly violent conclusion in with that quid pro quo contextualized by Goyer.

So, at its most basic level: Snyder thought Superman killing Zod was cooler than Superman sending Zod to the Phantom Zone. Thus, he and Goyer came up with this excuse that allowed Snyder to have his hero snap his villain's neck. Nolan, easily the best storyteller of the three, thought it was a terrible idea.

And it is. It is lazy screenwriting. Now, whenever Superman faces a massive threat, why not kill him? Lex Luthor. Dead. Oh, only non-humans? Well, then he should kill Braniac, Darkseid, Parasite, Metallo or whoever else they throw at him in the sequel besides Luthor. If he is put in a difficult position again, he can break his rule again. And there is nothing actually in MOS that displays it changes his view of the world. He is sad that he had to kill the last Kryptonian besides himself in this dimension and feels truly alone, isolated from his alien heritage. However, there is nothing that shows he would not do this again if he is put in a difficult situation.

It is bad writing created to add on a needlessly brutal ending. Just my opinion.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #940
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Parasite and Metallo are human. I guess that means they are safe and don't have to avoid Superman's blood lust lol.

Not sure if it's even possible to kill Brainiac though.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.

Last edited by Marvin; 06-18-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #941
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,010
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Well...actually...I DID once risk my life to save a child that I happened to be walking past while on vacation...I ended up underneath a vehicle because of it (instead of her) and my leg has never been the same because of it.

Unlike Clark Kent...I can be hurt. I am a better man than Clark Kent.

After Clark saves the kids in the bus, Pa Kent gives him
I just love how you seem to take everything at face value, not even trying to understand the motivations and actions behind the characters.

Clark trashed that truck...ignoring the fact it was a man who had not only secually harassed a woman but attempted to pick a fight with Clark for defending her. He had to understand that there are consequences for your actions, now he does.

Jonathan said, "Maybe," when asked if Clark should've let them die...ignoring the uncertainy and confused tone in his voice as he really didnt know what to say.

Jonathan dying in the tornado as Clark looks on...ignoring the fact that it was his choice and decision to sacrifice his life to protect his child. Something any good father would do in a heartbeat. You call it selfish on Clark's part, I call it selfless on Jonathan's.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #942
Sundancer
Cynicist
 
Sundancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In the dark
Posts: 2,020
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I wish either the Kents or Jor-El instilled the sanctity of life in Kal-El. That would have worked better as a theme than Kryptonians vs. Earthpeople. It also would have made killing Zod more thematic, a stronger denoument, and I think it would have resonated more strongly with the audience.

__________________
"We need comedy to stop our desire to kill" -- Christopher Titus
Sundancer is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #943
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,010
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I think that would've pissed people off even more, tbh.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #944
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Touching story, truly.
To be honest I'm of the mind that being indestructible kinda makes it easier to be brave, but that's another discussion. So you're not a bully, you saved a bus full of kids, so to speak, all you need now is powers and the title is yours.

btw superman isn't called "The man of tomorrow" simply because he's a really really nice guy.


When did he condemn the act? You've been saying this for the past few days. "Maybe" isn't a condemnation. It means I don't know. And that clark needs to decide what kind of man he wants to be. If he was raised right he will make the right choice.

Clark want's to know why he has to keep his powers a secret. Jon knows it's because of a several reasons(such as the end of the world if it get's out that there are aliens living in the US that look like anyone or/and that people won't start a big parade in his honor but maybe the opposite). What Jon says, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet is, you have to keep this side of you a secret. Ergo, maybe not parade your powers around and perhaps practice some discretion... Notice this kid wasn't trying to cover up his acts on the bus? Or in the classroom. And after jon didn't let him expose himself during his death, Clark went on using his powers but with discretion where possible...

Am I wrong?

Jon never would have been in that situation if he had just let his super kid go and save the dog while he cowered under a bridge. Stupid yes, good father and moral inspiration even moreso. I wonder if Clark learned anything from this misguided coward.

The lesson there, Sacrifice yourself for the good of your boy and possibly the world. But that's my perspective.
Superman is called the Man of Tomorrow not because he's a good guy...but because he's the BEST guy. It has little to nothing to do with his super powers. He got half of what makes him great from Kryptonian parents, and the other half (super compassion, super goodness, a super sense of self sacrifice etc) from his Earth parents. We try to learn from his perfect example, and hopefully we can raise our kids as good as he was raised.

This movie did not reflect that at all.

By the way...as I mentioned before...my dad was in the KKK, and served many years in prison. He was the biggest scumbag I have ever met. But if I asked "people are in danger and I can save them...should I let them die?" He would have responded "No, you idiot...SAVE THEM."

What lesson did Clark learn from his dad...a human...facing down a tornado...when a guy who could withstand the wind was a few feet away??? I don't know...maybe he learned to not think things through properly and needlessly risk lives. Maybe he learned that if you're in the eat of the moment and there isn't much time to think...just make the decision that results in death.

But again...Superman is supposed to inspire hope. That means that he should make ME feel like I can be a better person and achieve more than I think I can. Regardless of morals, he has super strength thanks to just the chance of his birth...and used that super strength to break the neck of a smarter, more skilled opponent. That is not inspiring. He took the easy way out and ended up showing me that I CANT achieve more, I CANT be better...so I should probably just use whatever I have thanks to my given lot in life to get ahead as best as I can.

Heretic is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #945
Glassjaw
In training
 
Glassjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brighton/Somerset, UK
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel mentions nothing at all about Superman killing Zod, its only registerred immediately afterwards in the scene and gone the next, I can't see the uglyness of how he had to kill Zod being brought back up in a fresh sequel 2 years down the line.

Glassjaw is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #946
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,010
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
By the way...as I mentioned before...my dad was in the KKK, and served many years in prison. He was the biggest scumbag I have ever met. But if I asked "people are in danger and I can save them...should I let them die?" He would have responded "No, you idiot...SAVE THEM"
Yeah, sure.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #947
Drewbee87
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 138
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

What issue is this from?




Drewbee87 is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #948
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,478
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Superman is called the Man of Tomorrow not because he's a good guy...but because he's the BEST guy. It has little to nothing to do with his super powers. He got half of what makes him great from Kryptonian parents, and the other half (super compassion, super goodness, a super sense of self sacrifice etc) from his Earth parents. We try to learn from his perfect example, and hopefully we can raise our kids as good as he was raised.

This movie did not reflect that at all.
Kryptonians are an advanced humanoid race. You take apes you have them evolve for 200 thousand years you get us, you have them evolve for the length of time it takes a star to turn red(give or take), and you get advanced aliens, put him on earth and have him be an example of good old solid midwestern values and a force for good, you get in conjunction, what is referred to as the man of "tomorrow".
imo.

This idea that it's about a guy with impeccable morals is kind of obtuse. If his morals were that perfect would he even be able to punch anyone? What about eating livestock? Man of tomorrow is about superman representing where we are going as a species and community and he is the the living inspiration manifest.
quote that.

Quote:
By the way...as I mentioned before...my dad was in the KKK, and served many years in prison. He was the biggest scumbag I have ever met. But if I asked "people are in danger and I can save them...should I let them die?" He would have responded "No, you idiot...SAVE THEM."
Me too. However what would I tell my son if he was something like Clark. "I don't know". Perhaps that he needs to be more careful and keep his godly side a secret. It might do more harm than good....simple stuff like that.

If I was raising jesus chirst himself and at the age of 13 he asked me if he should start healing the sick at times square, I'd say "maybe". Considering what you're destined for it might be better to let the world be, and make your presence known when the time is right...we don't know what your destiny is. And the truth is, sometimes people die(like me). Keep your gotdamn powers to yourself until the time is right....perhaps when you hit the age of say...33, you will stumble upon your destiny. But that's what I would say if I was raising Jesus Christ...not some creature that fell from heaven I named clark And sure as hell not normal son.

Hypotheticals though.
Quote:
What lesson did Clark learn from his dad...a human...facing down a tornado...when a guy who could withstand the wind was a few feet away??? I don't know...maybe he learned to not think things through properly and needlessly risk lives. Maybe he learned that if you're in the eat of the moment and there isn't much time to think...just make the decision that results in death.
If you really this this and you are not joking I can see why you hate this movie. Truly, I get it now.

Quote:
But again...Superman is supposed to inspire hope. That means that he should make ME feel like I can be a better person and achieve more than I think I can.
No.
It means he's supposed to inspire people. You have a specific requirement for inspiration it seems. And if that was met, there would be another Heretic out there that might say they aren't inspired enough. Just like I'm saying I personally am inspired by what I saw.

If your war is that of inspiration,
Why should we pick your measure over anyone else? Is it only your superman that can inspire?

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #949
Illustrious Var
Mentally Unstable
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee87 View Post
What issue is this from?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Action Comics Vol 1 #805.

Illustrious Var is online now  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #950
Heretic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit needs heroes
Posts: 9,497
Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
I just love how you seem to take everything at face value, not even trying to understand the motivations and actions behind the characters.

Clark trashed that truck...ignoring the fact it was a man who had not only secually harassed a woman but attempted to pick a fight with Clark for defending her. He had to understand that there are consequences for your actions, now he does.
Wait...who had to learn that lesson???

Clark stranded the jerk...and he deserved it. I'm not sure he deserved to lose his job, but I wont cry for him. HOPEFULLY the man learned something from it, though he had no way of knowing WHY his truck ended up like that (and he likely acted like that often, so it isnt like he'd connect the dots).

What about his employer? They were contracted to have a driver deliver goods. Are you suggesting that they deserved this punishment as well, since they hired a jerk? Interesting...but personally, I don't think they should have been punished.

What about the company who hired the jerk's company to deliver their haul? Are you suggesting that they deserve to have their goods destroyed because they hired a company that hired a jerk?? How could they POSSIBLY learn a lesson, since they don't know why or how their goods got destroyed?

What about the innocent people who lost power due to Clark tearing down their power poles? Also, what about the taxpayers who have to pay for new power poles? What did these people do to deserve Clark's wrath???

So yeah...Clark is hardly an example I hope my kids will follow.

Heretic is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.