The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: "S" plastic shield vs broken neck.
"S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies. 7 6.93%
Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives. 94 93.07%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #176
Heretic
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
My thing about Superman killing Zod is simple. In context to the story, it was absolutely necessary. And one cannot throw a fit about Zod's death here without also complaining about Zod's death in Superman II. And about that last part, don't just suddenly have an issue for the sake of argument. If a year ago, you weren't royally pissed at what Superman did to Zod, don't begin to be angry now.
A year ago I had seen the deleted scenes, which shows that Zod and his crew survived and were arrested.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #177
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
People keep bringing up the flying away with Zod 'solution' vs killing him... How do you know he wasn't trying to do just that but couldn't because Zod had his knees planted firmly on the ground and was hellbent on destroying that family? Some people seem to forget that Zod was just as powerful as Superman. It would be like 2 equally powers humans fighting and coming to an impasse. I've also heard burning a hole around them so they can crash onto possibly another family downstairs. That would also assume Superman could turn in a circle while still holding Zod. He was trying to turn Zod away but couldn't. I do not like the killing but I've yet to hear a solution that seems really feasible. The only one is that since that family was too dumb to move he should have shouted at them to move while he still had Zod restrained. And then what more 'thousands' of lives lost because they would have continued crashing into buildings? Which by the way I do not think thousands were lost from their fight most were lost from that gravity beam.
The gravity beam was clearly shown to destroy cars and other property as people safely ran past them. People were apparently immune to gravity changes.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #178
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Superman is above justifying murder.
It's not murder, y'know.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #179
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
The gravity beam was clearly shown to destroy cars and other property as people safely ran past them. People were apparently immune to gravity changes.
So those buildings and cars were empty then huh. In that case the Zod Superman fight caused zero casualties too.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #180
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

I like that "Oh Snap" thing

Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #181
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
And then he gets the upper hand and goes after more people.
And then a responsible script writer who has an understanding and respect for the core concepts that define superman writes an ending that doesn't have him murdering the bad guy.

Is lex Luther gonna stop being a bad guy? Is metallo or brainiac gonna stop being a threat to people's lives? Do you expect any of supermans villains in these movies to be reformed? Does that mean superman should kill them all? The excuse that zod is still going to be a bad guy so it's okay for superman to kill him is ridiculous. The idea that superman is incapable of stopping zod because he's not good enough without resulting to murder is offensive to me as a superman fan. This is a lesser superman. This is a superman that gives us a lesser ideal to strive towards. There is nothing inspiring or cheer worthy about this superman.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #182
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
So those buildings and cars were empty then huh. In that case the Zod Superman fight caused zero casualties too.
It depends. Lois Lane was immune to the effects of black holes...as everyone and everything (yes, even objects on the ground) were sucked into the black hole...while Lois was actually repelled AWAY from it and fell. Lois was only affected by the black hole the second Superman grabbed her...because he is not immune to the effects of a black hole, and was getting sucked into it so he had to exert effort to free himself from what Lois was not at all affected by.

I know...it makes no sense at all...but in this world...humans are immune to things like gravity and black holes. It's almost as if it was lazy, bad writing.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #183
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I like that "Oh Snap" thing

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #184
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
It depends. Lois Lane was immune to the effects of black holes...as everyone and everything (yes, even objects on the ground) were sucked into the black hole...while Lois was actually repelled AWAY from it and fell. Lois was only affected by the black hole the second Superman grabbed her...because he is not immune to the effects of a black hole, and was getting sucked into it so he had to exert effort to free himself from what Lois was not at all affected by.

I know...it makes no sense at all...but in this world...humans are immune to things like gravity and black holes. It's almost as if it was lazy, bad writing.
Certainly not denying there's lazy bad writing in this movie but some things people keep bringing up I just don't agree with. Not fully anyways.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #185
Heretic
Side-Kick

I'd like to point out that Superman killed TWICE in this movie. I think that Zod's henchman that Superman killed during the Smallville battle was Tor-An.

Superman killed Tor-An and had ZERO reaction...which proves that Superman did not scream out in regret after he killed Zod. He had spent his entire life searching for answers, and had to kill the last people who could give him answers...so more than likely, he was crying out in sadness over having an incomplete picture of his heritage, which he had dedicated his life to answering.

Those of you who claim that Superman felt any regret over having to kill Zod need to explain away why he had no reaction to killing Tor-an, or you should stop making that claim and find some other way to defend his killing of Zod. Unless I'm missing something and Tor-An showed up again without explanation.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #186
the last son
Side-Kick

I'm not the biggest Superman fan, meaning I don't read his comics, so I have no problem with Superman killing. There was no other way around it. You have to protect those people. This isn't the cartoons people! How else do you propose he saves those people? Or do you suggest he let the people die and many others and keeps fighting Zod until they tire out after 5 more hours? Great way to end the villain and I hope they continue this type of tone for all other movies in the same continuity.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #187
nogap87
Side-Kick

I have no problem with the ending. It's not like Supes could slap a pair of cuffs on the guy.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #188
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I'd like to point out that Superman killed TWICE in this movie. I think that Zod's henchman that Superman killed during the Smallville battle was Tor-An.

Superman killed Tor-An and had ZERO reaction...which proves that Superman did not scream out in regret after he killed Zod. He had spent his entire life searching for answers, and had to kill the last people who could give him answers...so more than likely, he was crying out in sadness over having an incomplete picture of his heritage, which he had dedicated his life to answering.

Those of you who claim that Superman felt any regret over having to kill Zod need to explain away why he had no reaction to killing Tor-an, or you should stop making that claim and find some other way to defend his killing of Zod. Unless I'm missing something and Tor-An showed up again without explanation.
Because by then Zod was the last of his kind besides him. It was tragic that it came down to that.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #189
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Because by then Zod was the last of his kind besides him. It was tragic that it came down to that.
Yes...because now Clark would never learn more about his heritage. It was NOT sadness over the act of killing.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #190
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I couldn't really see how he dealt with Tor-An. I hope next time Zack goes back to his more locked-in style some, but with reduced slow-mo.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #191
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

I'm sure it was partially because he was distraught over killing him. Just because this superman kills doesn't mean he's completely cold hearted, which is what he'd have to be in order not to be affected by the fact that he just killed a dude. But a lot of people here also seems to think the fact that've was distraught over his actions makes his actions okay....which is stupid.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #192
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Yes...because now Clark would never learn more about his heritage. It was NOT sadness over the act of killing.
I felt more like "WHAT DID YOU MAKE ME DO?" or "WHY DID YOU MAKE ME DO THIS!"

Partly because, yeah. Zod forced him to kill the only "surviving" member of his species. Sad indeed.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #193
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

... Unless Zod was somehow beheaded, cremated and his ashes split up and scattered across a stellar distance, there is unfortunately a possible chance of his coming back from his current fate..

--regarding the initial act: thus far, "kryptonite" doesn't exist; there was no time to direct Dr. Hamilton to design and have the military build a jail cube with red-sun lighting.. The fight could have easily gone on for days, weeks, or longer, without either of them really getting tired.. in the meanwhile, how many hundreds (thousands?) of people would be the 'collateral damage'?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #194
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Yes it was that, too. I guess it just didn't take for you.

I honestly think they should have done more to really cement that in a deeper way than just his obvious dismay over it.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #195
Kelras
New User - Level 0

Why can't Superman kill? You can't just say "because he's SUPERMAN." Characters need a motivation. You can't have Superman refuse to kill nearly unstoppable villains who aim to murder everyone in their path, and justify it by saying, "well Superman doesn't kill." He needs a reason to be willing to put the world at risk by keeping these dangerous villains alive. And you know what's a good reason? Having Superman brutally murder the first villain he faces because there is literally no other way to stop him.

You need to start somewhere. If you want Superman to be against killing villains, then you need to give him a specific reason for this mindset. That is where rules come from. Rules are made only AFTER something bad happens. There needs to be some kind of precedent. Superman is not born with a rule against killing. He has that rule because he HAS killed, and he knows it's something he needs to prevent in the future.

Also, let's do a comparison:

Superman 2 - Zod, Ursa, and Non are all DEPOWERED. They no longer pose a threat. Superman could easily fly them to a prison, or put them in a cage in the fortress. But no, he tosses Zod off a cliff in the fortress. Then Non falls. Then Lois pushes Ursa off the cliff too. Obviously these three depowered villains fall to their deaths. No one was in danger anymore. They were powerless. Yet Superman goes out of his way to kill them. How does Superman respond? He smiles, and Lois smiles, and they hug.

Man of Steel - There is no way to stop Zod. Zod stops giving a ****, has a deathwish, and now exists only to kill humans until Superman kills him. Zod is about to kill three people, Superman's only options are A) let him kill the humans, B) somehow get Zod away from them and then follow Zod around the planet stopping him from killing people for the next billion years, or C) kill Zod to save millions of lives and end the destruction. Don't even try to tell me the first two options are viable. When Superman does kill Zod, his reacts very strongly. He is devastated. The subject is treated seriously, and not seen as a time for celebration.

Say what you will about the neck snap, but at least this Superman didn't kill a powerless Zod for no reason and then smile about it.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #196
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Can anyone answer me on why this topic is such an issue or that it's an inconsistency to the character of Superman?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #197
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelras View Post
Why can't Superman kill? You can't just say "because he's SUPERMAN." Characters need a motivation. You can't have Superman refuse to kill nearly unstoppable villains who aim to murder everyone in their path, and justify it by saying, "well Superman doesn't kill." He needs a reason to be willing to put the world at risk by keeping these dangerous villains alive. And you know what's a good reason? Having Superman brutally murder the first villain he faces because there is literally no other way to stop him.

You need to start somewhere. If you want Superman to be against killing villains, then you need to give him a specific reason for this mindset. That is where rules come from. Rules are made only AFTER something bad happens. There needs to be some kind of precedent. Superman is not born with a rule against killing. He has that rule because he HAS killed, and he knows it's something he needs to prevent in the future.

Also, let's do a comparison:

Superman 2 - Zod, Ursa, and Non are all DEPOWERED. They no longer pose a threat. Superman could easily fly them to a prison, or put them in a cage in the fortress. But no, he tosses Zod off a cliff in the fortress. Then Non falls. Then Lois pushes Ursa off the cliff too. Obviously these three depowered villains fall to their deaths. No one was in danger anymore. They were powerless. Yet Superman goes out of his way to kill them. How does Superman respond? He smiles, and Lois smiles, and they hug.

Man of Steel - There is no way to stop Zod. Zod stops giving a ****, has a deathwish, and now exists only to kill humans until Superman kills him. Zod is about to kill three people, Superman's only options are A) let him kill the humans, B) somehow get Zod away from them and then follow Zod around the planet stopping him from killing people for the next billion years, or C) kill Zod to save millions of lives and end the destruction. Don't even try to tell me the first two options are viable. When Superman does kill Zod, his reacts very strongly. He is devastated. The subject is treated seriously, and not seen as a time for celebration.

Say what you will about the neck snap, but at least this Superman didn't kill a powerless Zod for no reason and then smile about it.
:golf clap: Well said.

Especially for a first post. Welcome to the Hype.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #198
Sundancer
Cynicist

Before the snap, I was wondering if he was going to cover Zod's eyes with his hand to stop the heat vision.

I have ambiguous feelings about this action. It makes sense but it's not what I wanted to see in a Superman movie.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #199
Marvin
Side-Kick

Superman is seen as a super nice guy in the comics, killing is kinda odd with him.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #200
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Can anyone answer me on why this topic is such an issue or that it's an inconsistency to the character of Superman?
I believe its pretty darn similar to that of Batman's one rule. Superman in the comics seems to always find a way around homicide as an answer to a villain's evils.

With all the power that Supes has, I imagine that's generally not a problem for him. But Zod was roughly on par with Superman's power level. Presenting a serious problem.

Closed Thread