The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which was the better movie?
Man of Steel by a mile 352 80.00%
Man of Steel....barely 39 8.86%
both equal in my eyes 15 3.41%
Superman Returns ...barely 23 5.23%
Superman Returns by a mile 11 2.50%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

They are both bad movies for entirely different reasons.

But it'd be MOS for me - because it was more fun, I enjoyed the action and I prefer Henry over Brandon, as well as the rest of the cast.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Superman Returns shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Man of Steel. That's just me. I've moved on from the Donner-Singer-verse. Bring on MOSII!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Three sentimental scenes in Returns that for me can't touch anything in this one:

- Supes explaining to Lois how he hears everyone

- Supes saying goodbye to Lois then flying up towards the sun

- Supes giving the 'father/son' speech to the kid (and I HATED the inclusion of the kid)

But by the same token, aside from Supes flying through Metropolis when it was breaking apart and trying to save whatever people he could there was no action worth even mentioning. And Kate Bosworth can suck the life out of scenery. I literally fast forward through 60% of the movie.
problem here is imo routh does'nt sell it he never felt like superman he had no presence or gravitas to him felt like a reeve impersonator he was just flat out bland while henry was superman from the moment you saw him

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #29
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
problem here is imo routh does'nt sell it he never felt like superman he had no presence or gravitas to him felt like a reeve impersonator he was just flat out bland while henry was superman from the moment you saw him
I see your point but it was more than Routh. The ambiance, music, lighting... everything in those scenes was just.. special

But can you imagine Cavill in those exact scenes instead of Routh? THAT would have been something to see

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
"Superman Returns" for me. Even when it's not a reboot.

With all its problems at least was about Superman movie more than a Kryptonian invasion movie and at least it got the Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic that is essential for the character. MoS was fantastic at many things but it deprived Superman from being perceived as the outstanding being in a normal world, which you need before throwing more Kryptonians around.
Thats how I feel to. Saw MOS last night I'm not disappointed but its not what I was expecting. I thought the story was poorly written and botched.

Hans Zimmer OMG YOU SUCK!!!!! The problem with MOS is botched editing and the music is AWFUL, just down right awful. The movie itself isn't bad, but they made a huge mistake. I don't care what anyone says, serious tone or not. It was a few epic moments in MOS like when he flew straight into the gravity beam. That was an iconic moment from the moment he made a fist and was trying to get off the ground but the music didn't match the moment.

I only like MOS slighty better than SR because of the fight in Smallville and the time spent on krypton.

Superman the movie still sets the standard of an Superman origin story. The only problems with STM is the goofy lex and not enough time spent on krypton.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
I never found Routh as Reeve impersonator, apart from a few lines of dialogue that Singer made him say. His Superman was more stoic in nature and his Clark Kent faded into background rather than drawing attention to himself by doing goofy things.

Had he truely copied Reeve then he would have been more popular as many still like Reev's Superman.

*\S/T*
Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Man of Steel, and it's really not even close. Better acting, better characterization across the board, better story and better direction. SR might have gotten a better RT score (for reasons I'll never understand) but I think that the box office and overall positive reaction from fans is a clear indicator that MOS is the better film.

My reaction after SR: Please give me a reboot.

My reaction after MOS: PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL! NOW!!!

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
I see your point but it was more than Routh. The ambiance, music, lighting... everything in those scenes was just.. special

But can you imagine Cavill in those exact scenes instead of Routh? THAT would have been something to see
Sorry I see it the exact opposite, Routh was a great Superman, you have to remember, Singer had the guy playing at Chris Reeve Clark Kent and not his own.

I still like Routh better than Cavill but I'm hoping MOS doesn't make 120 million this weekend and drops to 20 million the next. I do want to see a sequel to see if they can improve on what they started.

My other concern about MOS is they may have over done it on the action. If and when Superman ever confronts Brianiac or Doomsday people are going to yawn after the first few moments of the fight because we've been there done that with so much destruction and fighting with Zod in Metropolis.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Are you kidding me? Man Of Steel all the way. My eyes wide open as opposed to watching SR.

The only time they were open in SR was when Supes was getting his but kicked/stabbed with kryptonite.

Last edited by Nicko-Ray; 06-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Man of Steel and I haven't even seen it yet.
So it's like an archery competition. You just didn't bring arrows... or a bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Superman Returns had a boring story and subpar action.
Man of Steel has a decent story with minor overlookable flaws and superior Comicbook level Superman action.

Man of Steel by light years.

MoS action, while entertaining at first it was numbing. Plus, other than a few individuals, Metropolis never knew they were being saved by Superman. For a Superman origin story that's really disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
read my sig
I don't get it. You have reason enough to discredit whoever disagrees with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
That's what a sequel is for.. MOS sequel will focus on Superman secret identity to the world, his relationship with Lois, his struggle with the villian (Lex) + a superman villain, and what most people would want is his charm. He has already accepted his Destiny as Superman in MOS and can focus on saving lives and not having to hide anymore. I have a gut feeling the sequel can be as good or better than TDK script with an evil billionaire Luther who help build Metropolis back from the damage left by Superman and Zod.
Lois already know who Superman is. The dynamic between the three characters is destroyed before starting. And that's a core part of what Superman is, as a story.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I voted for MOS..barely

Had it not for excellent performances by Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe and Antje Tarue, I would have ranked the movie lower than SR.

*\S/T*
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #37
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Man of Steel by a country mile.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
Spiderine
Business as Usual

MOS has provided a much better launchpad for the franchise.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I voted for MOS..barely

Had it not for excellent performances by Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe and Antje Tarue, I would have ranked the movie lower than SR.
Antje Tarue = 1 BAD ASS WOMAN

I think she stole just about every scene she was in.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Superman Returns was a reverent homage to two classic films whilst Man of Steel tried too hard not to be linked to those films.

They've both got individual elements going for them and individual elements not going for them.

As films neither are specifically good. I'm watching the latter again today so let's see if the second half still repulses me.

Only thing I can say right now is whilst I'm looking forward to a sequel, I'm really not keen on seeing Snyder directing or Goyer doing anything more than consulting.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
bes628
Side-Kick

IS this real life ? This is happening ?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #42
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I think Man of Steel is much better as an alien invasion film than a Superman movie. To me it was a Superman movie only until he got in full costume. After that, the Kryptonian invaders had the central role.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #43
Maia87
Side-Kick

I am sick of Superman Returns-bashing.

A lot of cbm fans hated the script, the actors, the costume, the desaturated color palette, the noninexistent action, etc; and now they're like "okay. It's not that bad. I liked the way it paid homage to the Donner films. I liked Kate Bosworth as Lois. I liked the red trunks..." Geez. You're 7 years too late.

You're all a bunch of serious hypocrites!!

Even Bryan Singer said "I don't think that was what people were expecting". He's right. Man of Steel is the Superman movie we deserve since 1978.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Man of Steel, and it's really not even close. Better acting, better characterization across the board, better story and better direction. SR might have gotten a better RT score (for reasons I'll never understand) but I think that the box office and overall positive reaction from fans is a clear indicator that MOS is the better film.

My reaction after SR: Please give me a reboot.

My reaction after MOS: PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL! NOW!!!
I feel the same way. This film is another case of critics and a lot fanboys being on one side and the GA being on the other.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #45
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

edit

Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #46
jacobed
Banned User

Hahaha not even close. Man of Steel easily up there as one of the best cbm of all time. Great acting, great origin story, amazing action. It's what a Superman film should be
Superman Returns was an embarrassing mess, that had a creepy stalker, emotionless Superman. A Lex with one of the dumbest plots ever in movies. Lois who is dumb as rocks why she doesn't go to the police saying Superman raped her, I have no idea.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #47
antonydelfini
Quiver

MOS by a mile. Singer directed some of the dramatic scenes better and I actually like the music better in SR but everything else belongs to MOS.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
davejames
Side-Kick

SR is hugely underrated and I love the poetic, nostalgic tone and the music and the art design.... but ultimately it's just way too small in scope for a Superman movie.

MOS was just as huge and epic as a Superman movie needs to be, the character and origin story were reimagined in a fresh and interesting way that makes you excited for the future, and it just had a greater amount of energy, emotion, and wonder as a whole.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #49
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

LOL jacobed they were together in superman 2. SR was set between 2 and 3 plus lois screaming i got raped by superman aint gonna lie i got a chuckle from that brother. After seing MOS it is easily the better film everyone has echoed what i think so i dont want to keep saying the same thing. For some reason though i think if BS was directing MOS we might have had a more fleshed out movie, i really think he was limited on SR because of continuity . My thoughts about this will hopefully be confirmed when XDOFP drops that will easily be his biggest film in terms of scope.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #50
jacobed
Banned User

Yea they got.together but she doesn't remember it.

Closed Thread