The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which was the better movie?
Man of Steel by a mile 352 80.00%
Man of Steel....barely 39 8.86%
both equal in my eyes 15 3.41%
Superman Returns ...barely 23 5.23%
Superman Returns by a mile 11 2.50%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim
 
Sharkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8,128
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I am far from a SR hater, heck on some days I think it's quite a good film, as a third donner film it works brilliantly, but MoS is leagues ahead of it, heck I'd put it leagues ahead of most MCU films.

__________________
1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Spider-Man 2/5-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/6-The Avengers/7-X2/8-Superman:TM/9-The Incredibles/10-Man of Steel
Sharkboy is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane
 
Szetsilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States of Obama
Posts: 1,463
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Oh good lord, lets not go into the "whT exactly the kissed erased" debate again.

__________________
Henry Cavill is Superman/Clark Kent
Anne Hathaway, Natalie Dormer or Rachel McAdams for Lois Lane
Russel Crowe is Jor-El
Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

So, all of you who hated the religious Jesus parallels in Superman Returns, did you enjoy them more in MoS?

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #54
Techn9ne77
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 49
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Its funny b/c I have defended Bryan Singer quite often in the comments section on articles posted on hype. I like most of his movies, even Returns, but there is more stuff I liked in MOS over Returns. I like all the Krypton stuff in MOS, Crowe as Jor-El as opposed to Returns regurgitating Brando, the Smallville/Kent stuff was better in my opinion, action of course, liked Adams far more as Lois than Bosworth. In fact, the one thing that I can give Returns is the one thing that MOS couldn't do yet & that was the Clark Kent/Daily Planet side of the story. I thought Returns did that well. And like someone mentioned before, Superman saving innocents in Metropolis sequence. The action that was in SR (plane/shuttle scene) was actually really well done. The story was easier to follow, but that's not saying much when you're bored for a large portion of it. People point out the plot holes in MOS, but man, I've seen people expose Returns & point out plot holes in that movie as well. Which movie do you think has the bigger plot holes?


Last edited by Techn9ne77; 06-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Techn9ne77 is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #55
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9ne77 View Post
Its funny b/c I have defended Bryan Singer quite often in the comments section on articles posted on hype. I like most of his movies, even Returns, but there is more stuff I liked in MOS over Returns. I like all the Krypton stuff in MOS, Crowe as Jor-El as opposed to Returns regurgitating Brando, the Smallville/Kent stuff was better in my opinion, action of course, liked Adams far more as Lois than Bosworth. In fact, the one thing that I can give Returns is the one thing that MOS couldn't do yet & that was the Clark Kent/Daily Planet side of the story. I thought Returns did that well. And like someone mentioned before, Superman saving innocents in Metropolis sequence. People point out the plot holes in MOS, but man, I've seen people expose Returns & point out plot holes in that movie as well. Which movie do you think has the bigger plot holes?
Well, now you had Pa Kent regurgitating Glenn Ford.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #56
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,726
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

There are part of SR that I do enjoy and I am not a hater of the film in general, there are things I like about it but MOS is by far a better film imo.

__________________
GODZILLA
T H E A M A Z I N G S P I D E R - M A N 2 - M A Y 2
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is online now  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,866
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

As flawed as MOS is and despite the many issues I had it with it (though all aside from 2 are nitpicks really), it's still a better film than Superman Returns and a way, WAY better Superman film. So MOS by a mile.

G.Godfrey is online now  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #58
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 25,711
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I actually think they suffer a similar problem: They are a little too dreary and downer for Superman.

However, SR suffers that MUCH MORE and is a chore to watch. It is pretty boring from beginning to end save for two scenes the whole film (the plane save, which I actually think is more spectacular than any o the action in MOS, and when Lex "crucifies" Superman).

Otherwise SR is dull. Like dishwater.

MOS is very engaging and entertaining throughout and only loses the viewer when it pummels them with 45 minutes of repetitive and boring action at the end. Up until then it was mostly working and unlike Routh/Bosworth, Cavill/Adams make the roles their own instead of feeling like pale imitations of what comes before.

So Man of Steel. By a mile.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate
 
RoughNTumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

i enjoyed both but don't particularly love either

have to go with superman returns

it at least felt like a coherent story

__________________
Grandparents dead - please no jokes

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #60
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
As flawed as MOS is and despite the many issues I had it with it (though all aside from 2 are nitpicks really), it's still a better film than Superman Returns and a way, WAY better Superman film. So MOS by a mile.
This is exactly where I disagree. If anything one could argue that MoS is a better movie (I don't think that personally), but it forgot it was a Superman movie for the whole central part of the movie. It was more a good alien invasion movie. Invasion that happened just when Superman was supposed to be introduced to the world.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #61
storyteller
Side-Kick
 
storyteller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I don't mind the invasion. It doesn't just have to be about Superman. The invasion was important because we see what's at stake and it tells us more about Zod. I understand we want that camera on Superman all the time but then you sacrifice telling the bad guys story.

Superman introduced to the world? I think we have all seen him being introduced to the world in the traditional way. We have never seen him introduced to a nation/military though. Superman basically became a war hero in this film as opposed to being the guy who saved an airplane.

Superman returns covered the traditional intro very well. We can do something different now if it works for the story.

__________________
------------------------------------------

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #62
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,620
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Solar Recharge scene in SR was very good.
For me, having seen how that concept in handled in the books. This was perhaps Singers biggest misstep of scope...for me.

Superman flys up there every single day.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #63
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,354
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I'm still glad we got both versions of the character, and they're both very good movies.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #64
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,620
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Well, now you had Pa Kent regurgitating Glenn Ford.
I don't remember Ford being a facist.
(kidding).

Point being, Costner was definitely a step away from Ford in some big regards, though they seemingly had the same view on bullies.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #65
The Eradicator
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 214
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Superman Returns but barely. Despite my many problems with SR, it still felt like Superman to me (perhaps the Williams theme had something to do with that), and the film felt more complete than MoS.

SR had the potential for greatness, but Singer, for whatever reason, made some very bizarre decisions in the storytelling process.

IMO, a reboot was pointless, and they should have just continued from SR, albeit with slight modifications here and there. I knew that a reboot for Superman was a bad idea when it was announced, and after seeing the film, I stand by that notion.

The best parallel I can think of for MoS is The Amazing Spider-Man - not a bad movie, but nothing special.


Last edited by The Eradicator; 06-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
The Eradicator is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #66
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
I don't mind the invasion. It doesn't just have to be about Superman. The invasion was important because we see what's at stake and it tells us more about Zod. I understand we want that camera on Superman all the time but then you sacrifice telling the bad guys story.
The invasion was great. that's far from being my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Superman introduced to the world? I think we have all seen him being introduced to the world in the traditional way. We have never seen him introduced to a nation/military though. Superman basically became a war hero in this film as opposed to being the guy who saved an airplane.
He was barely introduced to a small group of people. And Superman's importance to those people is that he is the one the rest is looking for.

We didn't see the world amazed at this super-powerful being. They all saw a bunch of Kryptonians invading earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Superman returns covered the traditional intro very well. We can do something different now if it works for the story.
If it makes Superman incidental to a bigger plot, so his super-powers are just seen as part of what a number of other beings can do, then it makes an awful introducing to the world for an origin movie.

The press (or army, can't remember) calls him "Superman." They might as well have called him "Kryptonian #1" and the movie be called "Men of Steel."




Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eradicator View Post
Superman Returns but barely. Despite my many problems with SR, it still felt like Superman to me, and the film felt more complete than MoS.

I stand by the notion that a reboot was pointless, and they have just continued from SR, albeit with slight modifications here and there. I knew that a reboot for Superman was a bad idea when it was announced, and after seeing the film, I stand by that notion.
I agree with most of what you say. I think a reboot was a great idea, but noit by destrying things that are fundamental to the hero.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #67
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 13,176
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
This is exactly where I disagree. If anything one could argue that MoS is a better movie (I don't think that personally), but it forgot it was a Superman movie for the whole central part of the movie. It was more a good alien invasion movie. Invasion that happened just when Superman was supposed to be introduced to the world.
You forgot it was a Superman movie. Yeah... okay. Then please tell me how Superman Returns was a better Superman movie, when Superman barely says or does anything for most of the movie. Seriously, he hardly has any lines. He's less of a character in the film than a deux ex machina that shows up whenever some giant object is about to fall on a bunch of people. SR was a story about Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, with Superman as a background character. I think I could have lived with it being a retread of the Donner films had I felt like they at least made Superman remotely interesting. They didn't. They didn't know how to write the character, and Routh's limited acting skills only made it worse.

__________________

Rowsdower! is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #68
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Racer Morose = Bryan Singer.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #69
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."
 
TDK elbowstrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 18th and Orchard. You'll find Harvey Dent there..
Posts: 509
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I like MOS far better. And I was never one to think Returns was horrible, Ive watched it one to many times for it to be a terrible movie. And though I think much of Returns hate is undeserved, it was far weaker than MOS imo.

Superman, as a character was very boring and one-dimensional in Returns. Can anyone even think of one memorable quote from Routh's Superman in that movie? Can you remember anything Superman said at all in that Movie? Superman in MOS has a bevy of good quotable dialog. The whole, "My father believed if the world found out.." line was phenomenal, as was the line, "Krypton had it's chance!" in response to Zod. His emotion after taking a life, and even him fighting against that giant gravity beam showed how much raw potential Cavill has as an actor. His Superman was a better acted, more fleshed out character with a clear personality. The Superman in Returns just wasnt accessible as a character, even though I did enjoy that film.

Superman in Returns, not entirely Rouths fault mind you, had absolutely zero personality. Superman in MOS was a character I could relate with and had alot of personality. He was sad, a loner, introspective, yet we still see him having fun flying, smiling and joking with Lois, and Cavills acting was great.

There are more reasons I like MOS better, but I must leave for work. But for starters, looking at that personalities, or lack there of, of the two Supermen is a good starting point for comparing the two movies.

__________________
Tell your men they work for me now. This is my city...
TDK elbowstrike is online now  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #70
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."
 
TDK elbowstrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 18th and Orchard. You'll find Harvey Dent there..
Posts: 509
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
You forgot it was a Superman movie. Yeah... okay. Then please tell me how Superman Returns was a better Superman movie, when Superman barely says or does anything for most of the movie. Seriously, he hardly has any lines. He's less of a character in the film than a deux ex machina that shows up whenever some giant object is about to fall on a bunch of people. SR was a story about Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, with Superman as a background character. I think I could have lived with it being a retread of the Donner films had I felt like they at least made Superman remotely interesting. They didn't. They didn't know how to write the character, and Routh's limited acting skills only made it worse.

__________________
Tell your men they work for me now. This is my city...
TDK elbowstrike is online now  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #71
Street Vendor
Side-Kick
 
Street Vendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flass, I have kids to feed!
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

I liked them both, but SR had little potential as a franchise, especially with the kid and James Marsden(two characters I liked, by the way). It was good closure to the Donner era. MOS is a good retelling of the mythos, and there are a hundred different scenarios that would work for a sequel. So I guess I'd give MOS the edge.

__________________
http://batman-news.com/

http://spidermannews.com/

No guns, no killing.
Street Vendor is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #72
kalhawj
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 588
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

The last scene of MOS with Superman making that difficult decision a lone is better than all of Return and any Superman movie that came before them IMO. I love the direction it's going and cannot wait for the Sequel.

Mark my word Henry will surpass Christopher Reeve's legacy. He will make it his own and we will all join him in the sun...

kalhawj is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #73
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Man of Steel made me appreciate Superman Returns a lot more. All those shots of Superman stopping to save people in Metropolis before fighting Lex Luthor are a lot more welcome after seeing Man of Steel's Superman throwing his villains into buildings full of innocent bystanders. I think Man of Steel is a better reboot of the franchise, but Returns is a better film. Right now I'm about equal on both films.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #74
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 13,176
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I like MOS far better. And I was never one to think Returns was horrible, Ive watched it one to many times for it to be a terrible movie. And though I think much of Returns hate is undeserved, it was far weaker than MOS imo.

Superman, as a character was very boring and one-dimensional in Returns. Can anyone even think of one memorable quote from Routh's Superman in that movie? Can you remember anything Superman said at all in that Movie? Superman in MOS has a bevy of good quotable dialog. The whole, "My father believed if the world found out.." line was phenomenal, as was the line, "Krypton had it's chance!" in response to Zod. His emotion after taking a life, and even him fighting against that giant gravity beam showed how much raw potential Cavill has as an actor. His Superman was a better acted, more fleshed out character with a clear personality. The Superman in Returns just wasnt accessible as a character, even though I did enjoy that film.

Superman in Returns, not entirely Rouths fault mind you, had absolutely zero personality. Superman in MOS was a character I could relate with and had alot of personality. He was sad, a loner, introspective, yet we still see him having fun flying, smiling and joking with Lois, and Cavills acting was great.

There are more reasons I like MOS better, but I must leave for work. But for starters, looking at that personalities, or lack there of, of the two Supermen is a good starting point for comparing the two movies.
"I'M STILL SUUUUUUPERRRRMAAAAANNNNN!!!!!"

Oh, and... "I'm always around (except for those five years I ditched the whole planet without even saying anything). But I'm always around."

__________________

Rowsdower! is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #75
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,770
Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
THe plane rescue is still awesome.
Even though you could take it out and the plot would be exactly the same.

Superman Prime is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.