Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #51
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
People were also complaining that he doesn't save people. But he does that throught the film.
Exactly. If I remember correctly they were evacuating the area before Superman even finished with the World Engine. So perhaps there weren't as many people harmed if they got a lot (not all, as shown in the trains station) of people out for the big bout between Zod and Supes.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
Marvin
Side-Kick

What did people think of this(if they caught it)?

Clark asks his dad about the incident on the bus, "What was I supposed to do, let them die?" Jon says, "maybe".
Then later in life, Jon asks Clark to stand and watch him die to make the point.

Never seen a CBM short of ASM hit this sort of point this well. I want to slap the critic that says this script has nothing approaching depth.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #53
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Jor-El wanted Kal-El raised without Kryptonian influence.

Does our government listen to its scientists? Why would theirs? Scientists aren't infallible. There could be competing theories. It's not like Jor-El was some sort of psychic. Even Lara seemed slightly surprised when she realizes he was right and Krypton was blowing up.
Eh, I can somewhat understand that, but then again I wish it was explained better. Honestly it never really made sense to me. Jor-El and Lara could've raised Kal among the humans and blended right in...honestly Jor and Lara's actions seemed pretty human to me so I don't think fitting in would've been a problem.

You're right our government doesn't always listen to scientist, but when the ***** hits the fan they are all ears. Case in point the military seemed to listen to Dr. Hamilton pretty easily I would say when all hell was braking loose lol.

Also, with all the stuff happening on Krypton it's not like things were working against Jor-El's statements. I just wished we could've gotten a few more concrete reasons as to why they would not believe a man who was freaking engineered and considered to be the greatest scientist on the planet. That's all, but oh well.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #54
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Show their intent is not to send him alone, but they do it out of desperation. Just a thought.
Thought this point was pretty well made in the film. I agree it could have been even stronger. But I've rarely seen a film where a point couldn't have been made stronger. As long as they tried, I'm ok with it.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #55
UrNuts2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Magneto Doom View Post
lol cant believe people are moaning about them not talking another language now. This is getting pathetic, some people need to go out more
just the beginning .. 2 mnths down the line there will be complaints about why there is no sonic boom & burst eardrums when Faora moves at superspeed at ground level; why she pulls a blade on Meloni instead of casually strolling up and tapping him in the head; why Supes messed up a section of corn field busting Zod in the head .. & finally, how MoS is to blame for their leaky crapper & sh.tty kids

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #56
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

I too was shocked to see Jor-El dismantle Zods and his troops the way he did. The only explaination I have is maybe he trained some. Also being the foremost scientist on a planet full of geniuses, He just knows how to scientifically and systematically break an oppenents body down. He approaches fighting in a scientific way.

Take for example, the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Junior. The way they display his fighting abilities is akin to how Jor-El fights. Using his brain to size up the opponent, then draw up a plan of attack all before the opponent even gets a chance to react. Though RDJ's Sherlock undoubtedly practiced his fighting, it is his brain that wins him fights. He has fought veteran bloodsport fighters, trained boxers, soldiers, all of whom were trained and in many cases physically stronger. Yet a middle-aged Proffessor Moriarty nearly beat him, why? Brain power baby, brain power.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Clark asks his dad about the incident on the bus, "What was I supposed to do, let them die?" Jon says, "maybe".
Then later in life, Jon asks Clark to stand and watch him die to make the point.

Never seen a CBM short of ASM hit this sort of point this well. I want to slap the critic that says this script has nothing approaching depth.
what do you mean?

also i noticed that critics say the movie is not really emotional but it is sometimes in this movie , i felt sad in certain scenes and excited when Clark was finally flying and a good touch when first had to jump while he was trying to fly , i think in the first comics he just jumped , right?
also the ending was sooo great i mean, it was really heart warming the scene with Clark playing with the red towel and his introduction to DP

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #58
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Thought this point was pretty well made in the film. I agree it could have been even stronger. But I've rarely seen a film where a point couldn't have been made stronger. As long as they tried, I'm ok with it.
Oh yeah I'm fine with it. This movie did it the same as all the others and the comics. It's just my personal preference that if they're willing to play with canon they may as well go all out and try to improve things to. The whole genetically engineered thing was both good and bad. Like Midnight said,BECAUSE he was engineered to be their foremost scientist they kind of disregarded him for no reason. I mean he walks around with AI drones and tamed a dragon. He's GOT to be good at his job to an extent. They could have used something like Midnight's Braniac counterpoint to show reason for their not listening. The damn planet was falling apart. They couldn't NOT notice that.

And I'm sorry for not being up on my Superman lore but was it always the planet Krypton that destroyed itself or wasn't it something to do with their sun? Cause the whole environmental message was pretty heavy. Wondering if that was always the case

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #59
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonKryptonian View Post
t

We know he is a rebel and lives on the surface and he and Lara engaged in natural birth. Is he the foremost scientist, yes but he clearly more than any other Kryptonian walked his own path. My guess is that is why he wanted to go even further and have future Kryptonians be completely free of population control and societal engineering. That in itself is the context. It shows there has to be variation, either uncontrolled or by design. Otherwise all of the Science guild would have agreed with his assessments on mining the core or to go further, if he is the brightest, why not all the science guild Jor-El clones? It's because they still have birthing, even if artificial and as stated in the movie the codex contained over a billion of Krypton's heirs and while aptitudes were engineered they aren't all the same.

Again with Nam-Ek, why only one Nine footer? Why not a squad of them unless even amongst the billion/s? genetic templates stored in the codex there is still a uniqueness? Why was Jor-El smarter and wiser than anyone else? Why compassionate when most of the others seemed cold? Isn't possible that his uniqueness allowed other aptitudes than just science to be off the chart?

I think the context is what we saw because that was clear. Was Zod destined to be general or did he have to earn it throughout his life? The same for Faora? Zod and Faora were both military guild but both had completely different personalities and abilities. As one tracked as Zod was, he still seemed less cold and more contemplative than Faora.

Nam-Ek
(from Superman, vol. 1 #282)

Apparently Nam-Ek (although his name seems to reference the planet from the Dragonball manga series) is actually a Superman character from the Silver Age. He was a Kryptoninan scientist who extracted genetic material from a rondo beast and was horribly altered (this probably explains why the interpretation of the character in this film was so tall). Because the killing of rondos was illegal, Nam-Ek was imprisoned in the phantom zone.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #60
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:

I personally felt the film had a lot of depth and a lot of emotion. The ironic thing is that , fans complained that, " SR had too much emotion and not enough action". Now that we have a boat load of action , some fans complain "there's not enough emotion and too much action".

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #61
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm fine with it. This movie did it the same as all the others and the comics. It's just my personal preference that if they're willing to play with canon they may as well go all out and try to improve things to. The whole genetically engineered thing was both good and bad. Like Midnight said,BECAUSE he was engineered to be their foremost scientist they kind of disregarded him for no reason. I mean he walks around with AI drones and tamed a dragon. He's GOT to be good at his job to an extent. They could have used something like Midnight's Braniac counterpoint to show reason for their not listening. The damn planet was falling apart. They couldn't NOT notice that.

And I'm sorry for not being up on my Superman lore but was it always the planet Krypton that destroyed itself or wasn't it something to do with their sun? Cause the whole environmental message was pretty heavy. Wondering if that was always the case
Using Brainiac in this fashion would have been ideal no doubt. Like the animated series. But this was sort of new, the council is unproductive to common sense and that's sort of the point.

A red sun being a dying star, it's kind of a given that this is the most go to cause of kryptons destruction. It's happened here and there. In that earth one reboot I think it was a rival planetoids people? I think there have been a few approaches. Superman Returns used the dying star.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #62
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrNuts2 View Post
just the beginning .. 2 mnths down the line there will be complaints about why there is no sonic boom & burst eardrums when Faora moves at superspeed at ground level; why she pulls a blade on Meloni instead of casually strolling up and tapping him in the head; why Supes messed up a section of corn field busting Zod in the head .. & finally, how MoS is to blame for their leaky crapper & sh.tty kids
lol good point.
However who needs to wait two months when you got Miss Grace
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #63
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Question....so....did Clark really just steal those clothes after the oil rig scene?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #64
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Using Brainiac in this fashion would have been ideal no doubt. Like the animated series. But this was sort of new, the council is unproductive to common sense and that's sort of the point.

A red sun being a dying star, it's kind of a given that this is the most go to cause of kryptons destruction. It's happened here and there. In that earth one reboot I think it was a rival planetoids people? I think there have been a few approaches. Superman Returns used the dying star.
Gotcha. Maybe the star would have worked a bit better for me. It's kind of easier to brush off someone saying DUDE THE STAR IZ EXPLODES! than feeling the planet acting all screwy and just shrugging. Again, personal preference.

Oh wait, without kryptonite doesn't that mean no Metallo?

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #65
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Question....so....did Clark really just steal those clothes after the oil rig scene?
Yup. Trashed that other dude's truck too.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #66
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
yeah, i think he did

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #67
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I personally felt the film had a lot of depth and a lot of emotion. The ironic thing is that , fans complained that, " SR had too much emotion and not enough action". Now that we have a boat load of action , some fans complain "there's not enough emotion and too much action".
I think the(majority of) critics and fans have had a consistent reaction to both films.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup. Trashed that other dude's truck too.
I think they got that from Smallville

Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #69
Iron Patriot
On The Job

Quote:

That wasn't deep, it was terrible. Letting a bus full of kids die is never okay. Never. Add the fact that Pa Kent died in a stupid way that never would've required Clark to use his powers had he been in the same position. I could understand if the truck was torn apart or completely crushed, which no normal man could live through, but Clark could've easily said that the wreckage missed him and nobody would've been the wiser. Being younger and faster, Clark could've potentially saved the dog and made it under the overpass before the tornado could even touch him.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #70
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Gotcha. Maybe the star would have worked a bit better for me. It's kind of easier to brush off someone saying DUDE THE STAR IZ EXPLODES! than feeling the planet acting all screwy and just shrugging. Again, personal preference.

Oh wait, without kryptonite doesn't that mean no Metallo?
I hope there's no kryptonite. But I see no reason why their wouldn't be.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #71
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

There were so many instances were it was setup perfectly to introduce Brainiac in this DC cinematic universe....

1. The droids in Jor's home.

2. When they council was given their reasons for not heeding Jor-El's words. They could've said calculations were done by Brainiac or the Kryptonian name that would translate to Brainiac. What did Jor call the droids during the birth?

3. The droid that attacked Kal when he entered the ship.

4. The override virus Zod used to take over the outpost ship and erase the downloaded Holo-El.

Man I was hoping for some good setups in this movie...don't get me wrong though. I loved what I got.

Also, another nice setup could have been the syringe that was used to take Kal's blood. It would have been cool if it fell accidentally fell out of a whole in the ship down to the city or into an escape pod that was accidentally launched. Later we see a man's hand enter the pod and retrieve the syringe and the silhouette of a man in a suit. This could have been Lex and a possible easter egg for how Doomsday could come about later in the series.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #72
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Patriot View Post
That wasn't deep, it was terrible. Letting a bus full of kids die is never okay. Never. Add the fact that Pa Kent died in a stupid way that never would've required Clark to use his powers had he been in the same position. I could understand if the truck was torn apart or completely crushed, which no normal man could live through, but Clark could've easily said that the wreckage missed him and nobody would've been the wiser. Being younger and faster, Clark could've potentially saved the dog and made it under the overpass before the tornado could even touch him.
And Thomas Wayne could have just handed over the goods without any complaint.

Can't please everyone, I suppose.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #73
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
"Superman would never do that!"

Lol, please.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #74
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
"Superman would never do that!"

Lol, please.
That's because he's not Superman yet.

He pulled a Banner.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
what do you mean?
I liked it in both films, these father figures really leave a tragic and ironic impact.