The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #76
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 84

Also, when Clark found and entered the scout ship, we see a dead Kryptonian in a pod and then an open pod that someone escaped. That means someone else is out there...Kara, right?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #77
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post

Nam-Ek
(from Superman, vol. 1 #282)

Apparently Nam-Ek (although his name seems to reference the planet from the Dragonball manga series) is actually a Superman character from the Silver Age. He was a Kryptoninan scientist who extracted genetic material from a rondo beast and was horribly altered (this probably explains why the interpretation of the character in this film was so tall). Because the killing of rondos was illegal, Nam-Ek was imprisoned in the phantom zone.
Did we ever truly see Nam-Ek's fate? There's a good chance he never died.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #78
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

The only thing I regret about the Jonathan Kent death scene was that they didn't show Clark break down a bit more and show that he carried what he said to Pa Kent more throughout the beginning either through crying or whatever.

I was never a fan of Pa Kent dying and liked that he and Ma Kent grew older to see Clark become Supes, but I guess I understand why it needed to occur. Then again I think this is one movie where if they had kept him alive it would have worked well too.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #79
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Also, when Clark found and entered the scout ship, we see a dead Kryptonian in a pod and then an open pod that someone escaped. That means someone else is out there...Kara, right?
Loved that part. Wished they'd had more scenes like that laying seeds for the future. But I'm confused how someone would still be alive 20,000 later? Did they ever address Kryptonian lifespan?

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #80
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
That's because he's not Superman yet.

He pulled a Banner.
Tragic how this point explains most of the movie but is lost on many. I expect a good reception for TDK version of Superman in 2015

Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #81
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Loved that part. Wished they'd had more scenes like that laying seeds for the future. But I'm confused how someone would still be alive 20,000 later? Did they ever address Kryptonian lifespan?
That's another great question. If the destruction of Krypton freed Zod then how is it they spent 33 years looking for other Kryptonians and Kal if Holo-El said he designed that outpost ship 20,000 years ago? Holo-El did say that right?

Why were there dead kryptonians on outposts? Was it because they used up all their resources and couldn't return home or something so they just died off? Seems like many would have just gone to earth or some other star system where they terraformed a planet.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #82
NonKryptonian
Side-Kick

Thumbs down Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Nam-Ek
(from Superman, vol. 1 #282)

Apparently Nam-Ek (although his name seems to reference the planet from the Dragonball manga series) is actually a Superman character from the Silver Age. He was a Kryptoninan scientist who extracted genetic material from a rondo beast and was horribly altered (this probably explains why the interpretation of the character in this film was so tall). Because the killing of rondos was illegal, Nam-Ek was imprisoned in the phantom zone.
That was probably one of the inspirations for his height but I think it was still as unique to him as Faora hand to hand mastery or Zod's aptitude for being a martial leader.

When Zod said he wanted to stop the degenerative blood lines, I got the feeling he deemed not all families were worthy of continuing such as his own or the house of El. That tells me for whatever reasons, even with their genetically engineered breeding and rigid societal structure, their are the brilliant and not so brilliant, the driven and the lazy, the noble and the corrupt. I think Nam-Ek's size was as unique to him as the biblical Goliath and while maybe all members in the house of Ek may be predisposed to being large in many ways, the Kryptonians are just as varied as the human race. They just are attempting for "efficiency" sake trying to control the population and ensure the resultants births provide the skills to fulfill and fit into the roles their rigid guild society has evolved into. In such a controlled environment, it would be easy for a family to get into a position of power within a guild and then ensure those of their own bloodline followed for power and prestige sake even if artificially birthed and whether or not they were the most deserving.

I think Jor-El may have even agreed with Zod's assessment in their initial exchange but morally and philosophically disagreed with Zod on the resolution. Obviously Jor-El agreed no one had the right be the arbiter of which bloodlines worthy and which weren't and the solution was the one he envisioned where a child was born free to forge his own destiny. That was Jor-El's solution the decadence and corruption that had led to the coming demise of their world, to start over and let freedom and choice create a better destiny for the new civilization.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #83
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
The only thing I regret about the Jonathan Kent death scene was that they didn't show Clark break down a bit more and show that he carried what he said to Pa Kent more throughout the beginning either through crying or whatever.
yes most other cbm father death are followed by at least a few tears.
Odd decision there tbh.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #84
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonKryptonian View Post
That was probably one of the inspirations for his height but I think it was still as unique to him as Faora hand to hand mastery or Zod's aptitude for being a martial leader.

When Zod said he wanted to stop the degenerative blood lines, I got the feeling he deemed not all families were worthy of continuing such as his own or the house of El. That tells me for whatever reasons, even with their genetically engineered breeding and rigid societal structure, their are the brilliant and not so brilliant, the driven and the lazy, the noble and the corrupt. I think Nam-Ek's size was as unique to him as the biblical Goliath and while maybe all members in the house of Ek may be predisposed to being large in many ways, the Kryptonians are just as varied as the human race. They just are attempting for "efficiency" sake trying to control the population and ensure the resultants births provide the skills to fulfill and fit into the roles their rigid guild society has evolved into. In such a controlled environment, it would be easy for a family to get into a position of power within a guild and then ensure those of their own bloodline followed for power and prestige sake even if artificially birthed and whether or not they were the most deserving.

I think Jor-El may have even agreed with Zod's assessment in their initial exchange but morally and philosophically disagreed with Zod on the resolution. Obviously Jor-El agreed no one had the right be the arbiter of which bloodlines worthy and which weren't and the solution was the one he envisioned where a child was born free to forge his own destiny. That was Jor-El's solution the decadence and corruption that had led to the coming demise of their world, to start over and let freedom and choice create a better destiny for the new civilization.
Which is ironic because he chooses his own bloodline to be the sole bloodline to survive haha

Just saying

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #85
jacobed
Banned User

Superman isnt no nancy boy

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #86
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I personally felt the film had a lot of depth and a lot of emotion. The ironic thing is that , fans complained that, " SR had too much emotion and not enough action". Now that we have a boat load of action , some fans complain "there's not enough emotion and too much action".
Yep, and that is why those fan complaints always concerned me because I feared it would mean that Warner Bros would take it to the other extreme, especially when they hired Snyder. While ironically I didn't mind the action so much, I wish they would have put more time and effort into the script, story, and characters and better planned out the action beats. You have all the craziness on Krypton, which makes the Oil Rig scene so underwhelming and then you have no action until the back-to-back Battles of Smallville and Metropolis at the end where the relentlessness of the action is tiring.

In my opinion the film would have worked phenomenally better, if the film opened with a very short peak at the end of Krypton and Kal's rocket flying and landing and then the first big action beat of the movie was the Oil Rig. Then, all of the stuff on Krypton would be saved for Jor-El's AI to reveal via flashback at the end of the first act when Clark finds the scout ship. Then, finally, there needed to be more story and character development between the Battle of Smallville and the Battle of Metropolis. The former being the peak of Act 2 like the Tumbler chase in Begins.

Also, did anyone find it a very abrupt transition going from Supes crying in Lois's lap in the train station to the drone scene?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #87
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Quote:
Which is ironic because he chooses his own bloodline to be the sole bloodline to survive haha

Just saying
And Crowe and Snyder have commented on and hinted at that irony. That Jor-El is not as different from Zod as he thinks or tries to be. I just wish the script reflected that better.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #88
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
And Crowe and Snyder have commented on and hinted at that irony. That Jor-El is not as different from Zod as he thinks or tries to be. I just wish the script reflected that better.
I was waiting for Zod to throw that in Clark's face at the end. Somewhere in the middle of their brawl. "Your father and I are alike. You're the living legacy that I planned bblah blah" Since it was never mentioned it just plays out like a mistake that was overlooked

Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #89
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
yes most other cbm father death are followed by at least a few tears.
Odd decision there tbh.
Yeah, I would've like to see him tear up when telling Lois that story or maybe I missed that. Also, would've like to see him talk to his mother more about it, similar to how Bruce cried to Alfred about how it was his fault they let the theatre or Aunt May consoled Peter that Uncle Ben knew how he really felt.

I hate to compare this to the TDK trilogy and really see no need to, but I just thought that there were a few cues they could've taken to really show how Clark felt bad about what he said. I do like that Clark yelled out Dad though instead of Foster Daddy Kent when he died lol. Shows how he truly felt by calling on his daddy lol.

Quote:

Just saying
Yeah, could've at least hooked baby clark up with a female kryptonian...hey hey hey.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #90
BobJM
Who's Bad?

So there's no more FOS right? Once that ship was destroyed, Superman lost "where he hangs his cape."

Or am I missing something?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #91
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Also, did anyone find it a very abrupt transition going from Supes crying in Lois's lap in the train station to the drone scene?
That's really the only problem I had with the film early on. The editing mixed with the non-linear storytelling was slightly jarring at the beginning. I like non-traditional storytelling and structure, but if you're going to go non-linear and mix flashbacks with the present then the editing needs to be on point.

I think that is where some people had problems with the pacing, me included, especially the first 30mins. Not a huge whoop, just something I noticed that I typically don't like to when watching a film.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #92
NonKryptonian
Side-Kick

Quote:

Just saying
A good point. Of course, he still had the billions of potential Kryptonians in him.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #93
Tzigone
Side-Kick

Quote:
But, he didn't, did he? All the others were coded in Kal-El's blood and were supposed to have been born, too. Jor-El wouldn't have had to make the underwater side trip if he only wanted his own bloodline and no others to survive.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #94
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
So there's no more FOS right? Once that ship was destroyed, Superman lost "where he hangs his cape."

Or am I missing something?
I'm sure he took whatever was left of the ship and moved it up to the arctic. That would be stupid if he just left it there to be picked up by the military or whomever else *coughs* Lex *coughs*

Also, supes could've just brought the drone down and not wasted 13million dollars, but I guess he was trying to really drive a point lol. I like this Supes. Snappin necks and cashin checks!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #95
souperman
Side-Dish

MOS2: Snapin necks and crashin Lex?
...flexin pecs...
...Lex is vexed...

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
king666
(‿)

I feel like they tried to add unnecessary stuff to the mythology. They should've kept it simple.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #97
robmx522
Banned User

going to see again today woop woop :-)

Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #98
NonKryptonian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
I feel like they tried to add unnecessary stuff to the mythology. They should've kept it simple.
I think the deeper the Worldbuilding they get, the more immersive the story. I think its why I love Tolkien so much. They could have spent an hour of movie on Krypton and I would have been fine with it. It's something I never understood about the Donner movies. The Krytpton sequence and story felt like a set and props. When Lois interviews him it's like yeah I have these powers and oh by the way I am an alien. The world is awed by his power but not the fact there is now a revelation that they aren't alone in the universe?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #99
souperman
Side-Dish

did they say what the opening day BO was yet?

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #100
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
Then people would say it's too unoriginal and too simple.

What do you people want!?

Closed Thread