Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #301
Gambit
Banned User

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
How would that be a good idea? He's young, in year two at the most when he's in Justice League. You cant jump into a 55 year old take on the character, recasting. Besides, Long Halloween inspired Begins and Dark Knight and Returns inspired the whole trilogy, especially TDKRises.

They need to do the opposite of that.
What I meant was we really need to see Dark Knight Returns on screen...obviously with the next batman i think!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #302
regwec
Shakespearo

I somewhat agree with you, but the fact that TDKRises was effectively a half-arsed version makes the likelihood of a more literal adaptation unlikely.

I also have a sense that, like Watchmen, being a comic is so integral to what TDKReturns is that a live action adaptation would be slightly pointless.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #303
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
The ideal version would be a massively built actor who takes inspiration from Conroy. Grey and black suit too. But im not holding my breath.

So that's why a Keaton-controversial pick could actually be a good move. That's why I say Gosling. He's that Keaton pick. He wouldn't pull off the Conroy voice but that wouldn't be the point. He would be even quieter than Keaton in the suit. The only problem is that it's extremely unrealistic to think he'll sign to more than one movie. The new guy is probably signing a 3 film deal right from the get-go. Gosling would be difficult to deal with.

Evans has potential but I still don't think he's leading man material. I think he would work very well in Justice League movies but I don't think he has what it takes for the Batman solos. They're big shoes to fill, more than ever now. It's a billion dollar solo franchise and I don't think Luke is the right guy. Ive heard some bad things about the Crow remake script and I just don't think his upcoming movies will do well in the box-office.

Luke Evans would make for a fantastic villain. Im calling it now. Luke Evans for Black Mask in the first (or second) solo Batman movie.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #304
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
The ideal version would be a massively built actor who takes inspiration from Conroy. Grey and black suit too. But im not holding my breath.

So that's why a Keaton-controversial pick could actually be a good move. That's why I say Gosling. He's that Keaton pick. He wouldn't pull off the Conroy voice but that wouldn't be the point. He would be even quieter than Keaton in the suit. The only problem is that it's extremely unrealistic to think he'll sign to more than one movie. The new guy is probably signing a 3 film deal right from the get-go. Gosling would be difficult to deal with.

Evans has potential but I still don't think he's leading man material. I think he would work very well in Justice League movies but I don't think he has what it takes for the Batman solos. They're big shoes to fill, more than ever now. It's a billion dollar solo franchise and I don't think Luke is the right guy. Ive heard some bad things about the Crow remake script and I just don't think his upcoming movies will do well in the box-office.

Luke Evans would make for a fantastic villain. Im calling it now. Luke Evans for Black Mask in the first (or second) solo Batman movie.
I agree with all of what you're saying. I'm willing to give him a chance, but he's simply not the best choice for the role.

If you're going for the massively built dude who can do the Conroy voice, Joe Manganiello is your guy.

Gosling is definitely the Keaton choice, itd be a new interpretation, but I'd rather see a Conroy style performance.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #305
regwec
Shakespearo

I'm not sure 'massively' built is a great idea. Sure, the Batman from the videogame looks like a shaved gorilla in a wetsuit, but Batman also needs to exist as Bruce Wayne. A muscle-bound steroid freak will look highly out of place in board meetings or at charity dinners etc. I think Bale's physique in BB was about right; Cavill's in MOS is the very upper limit, I feel.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #306
Rorschach2012
$

A suit can hide muscles very well. It's believable for Bruce Wayne to be ripped anyways... He's got billions, its not unbelievable that he would work out. There's no problems with Manganiello's build

Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #307
Rorschach2012
$

Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #308
regwec
Shakespearo

There's a difference between 'working out', which most people do to some extent, and being the kind of individual who has the time and inclination to devote to turning yourself into some kind of steroid-ravaged lunk.

This Manganiello fellow looks okay, as he is lean and muscular but not 'massively built'. My argument is that anyone who looks first and foremost like a body builder or Mr Universe should be excluded.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #309
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I agree with all of what you're saying. I'm willing to give him a chance, but he's simply not the best choice for the role.

If you're going for the massively built dude who can do the Conroy voice, Joe Manganiello is your guy.

Gosling is definitely the Keaton choice, itd be a new interpretation, but I'd rather see a Conroy style performance.
That's what I feel too. Manganiello for the Conroy type, Gosling for the Keaton type. Im down with either one. But I think a Conroy esque Batman would work well standing toe to toe with Cavill, who is a huge SOB lol.

I still think we're going to get another actor who none of us have predicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
There's a difference between 'working out', which most people do to some extent, and being the kind of individual who has the time and inclination to devote to turning yourself into some kind of steroid-ravaged lunk.

This Manganiello fellow looks okay, as he is lean and muscular but not 'massively built'. My argument is that anyone who looks first and foremost like a body builder or Mr Universe should be excluded.
lol what? The guy is huge. He's jacked like Cavill.

Last edited by shauner111; 06-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #310
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not sure 'massively' built is a great idea. Sure, the Batman from the videogame looks like a shaved gorilla in a wetsuit, but Batman also needs to exist as Bruce Wayne. A muscle-bound steroid freak will look highly out of place in board meetings or at charity dinners etc. I think Bale's physique in BB was about right; Cavill's in MOS is the very upper limit, I feel.
Now that's not fair. Just because you're swole doesn't mean you're a "steroid freak". Besides, Joe Manganiello is pretty damn built, and he looks great in a suit.

Joe's not far off from Cavill's body type in MOS. If he added 10lbs of muscle, he'd look perfect for Batman.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #311
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Upon seeing NOL, We've all jumped of the Evan bandwagon

I believe in Batfleck

Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #312
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Haha, yeah. I'm actually really starting to like the Joe Manganiello suggestion.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #313
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Now that's not fair. Just because you're swole doesn't mean you're a "steroid freak".
Alright, but you are unlikely to find anyone else who looks like you in an executive position or in 'high society'. I don't want to insult anyone's lifestyle, but devoting yourself to the gym, the diet and (generally) the drugs is just that- a lifestyle choice- and it is not one embraced by the mainstream. Committed adherents look just as unusual as punks or goths. There is nothing 'wrong' with any of these subcultures, but they are quite distinct, and none of them quite mesh with what is expected from Bruce Wayne.

Quote:
Besides, Joe Manganiello is pretty damn built, and he looks great in a suit.
As I said, he looks okay. I wouldn't say he was overly 'built', and that physique is conceivably achieved by fighting crime by night rather than going to the gym as a lifestyle.. Bruce is obviously going to be strong and fit.

Quote:
Joe's not far off from Cavill's body type in MOS. If he added 10lbs of muscle, he'd look perfect for Batman.
I really don't think he needs to add anything. He seems to be about where Bale was for BB, which is fine.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #314
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Joe is more Hawkman, but he can easily be Batman.

He was a close second to Superman, which would've required him to be less moody and more friendly

I believe in Batfleck

Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #315
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright, but you are unlikely to find anyone else who looks like you in an executive position or in 'high society'. I don't want to insult anyone's lifestyle, but devoting yourself to the gym, the diet and (generally) the drugs is just that- a lifestyle choice- and it is not one embraced by the mainstream. Committed adherents look just as unusual as punks or goths. There is nothing 'wrong' with any of these subcultures, but they are quite distinct, and none of them quite mesh with what is expected from Bruce Wayne.
But Bruce Wayne most likely would be a huge gym guy. He's supposed to be at peak human condition, you can't do that by fighting crime alone. You need to lift weights. Lots of them.

I agree that Bruce Wayne can't look like Kai Greene, but a body like Cavill's, which was huge, would be fine. He'd look great in a suit. Sure, he'd be bulkier than the rest of the executives, but he's also probably the youngest. Makes sense he takes care of himself.

Quote:
As I said, he looks okay. I wouldn't say he was overly 'built', and that physique is conceivably achieved by fighting crime by night rather than going to the gym as a lifestyle.. Bruce is obviously going to be strong and fit.
Like I said, there's no way to have a body like Joe's by only fighting crime.

Quote:
I really don't think he needs to add anything. He seems to be about where Bale was for BB, which is fine.
Yeah, I'd be cool with Bruce looking like that, too. I just think it'd be perfect with another 10lbs.

Last edited by EliteF50; 06-24-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #316
spidergeek232
I'm Not A Loser

Hmmm...actually thinking of not using Luke Evans anymore. My two new choices:

Richard Armitage (if he's older in these films; Arkham City):

OR

Lee Pace (Younger, but established; Arkham Origins):

Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #317
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Lee Pace has a baby face. Wouldn't work for Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #318
shauner111
Side-Kick

Here's Manganiello

That's not even him training for a role like Batman. He would probably hit the gym hard and perhaps get even bigger, which could be scary lol.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #319
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Of course Manganiello would be big enough (if anything he's potentially too tall, imo). The question is whether or not he's a good actor. Has he ever had a lead role? Or a standout performance?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #320
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
But Bruce Wayne most likely would be a huge gym guy. He's supposed to be at peak human condition, you can't do that by fighting crime alone. You need to lift weights. Lots of them.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The 'huge gym guy', as I understand the concept, is certainly not 'peak physical condition'. It is a condition of physical abnormality achieved by a concerted program of unnatural practices, from the exercises themselves to the processed and unbalanced diet to the drugs. It results in huge muscle mass, but that is to the detriment of general physical fitness - i.e. in the vascular system. Don't forget that Bruce is supposed to be a martial artist and an acrobat; he is supposed to be able to skip along the rooftops in tandum with Catwoman. The 'peak physical condition' for him must lie somewhere in the range of Joe Calzaghe and Usain Bolt.

This goes to your second point- the notion that Bruce would spend a large slice of his time lifting weights. Of course he would do everything possible to keep himself physically honed, but this doesn't equate to the attempt to maintain an exaggerated muscle mass. Again, his speed and agility are equally important. There is also the question of time and feasibility- between the crime fighting and the 'day job', where is it? I'm sure he would use what time he had where possible, but he simply can't look like someone who spends six hours a day in the gym merely to sculpt themselves.

Anyway, this is all moot, because we seem to be agreed on what is appropriate. I was initially reacting to the term 'huge', which put me in mind of the inhuman proportions of the videogame Batman, which would clearly be inappropriate.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #321
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Considering how fast everyone has jumped from pro-Evans to anti all I can say is I'm glad Cold Light of Day didn't come out before Cavill was cast as Superman.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #322
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The 'huge gym guy', as I understand the concept, is certainly not 'peak physical condition'. It is a condition of physical abnormality achieved by a concerted program of unnatural practices, from the exercises themselves to the processed and unbalanced diet to the drugs. It results in huge muscle mass, but that is to the detriment of general physical fitness - i.e. in the vascular system. Don't forget that Bruce is supposed to be a martial artist and an acrobat; he is supposed to be able to skip along the rooftops in tandum with Catwoman. The 'peak physical condition' for him must lie somewhere in the range of Joe Calzaghe and Usain Bolt.
There's always those guys who use gear and do anything possible to get as big as possible, but I'm talking about those people who take their bodies really seriously. Guys who stick to strict diets of lean protein, vegetables, etc. Guys who workout with all the compound exercises and focus on functional muscle as apposed to just plain big muscle. I'm definitely not saying Bruce should be a Mr. Universe candidate, but he is a body builder.

Quote:
This goes to your second point- the notion that Bruce would spend a large slice of his time lifting weights. Of course he would do everything possible to keep himself physically honed, but this doesn't equate to the attempt to maintain an exaggerated muscle mass. Again, his speed and agility are equally important. There is also the question of time and feasibility- between the crime fighting and the 'day job', where is it? I'm sure he would use what time he had where possible, but he simply can't look like someone who spends six hours a day in the gym merely to sculpt themselves.
Agreed, but it's a movie. Just like the comics, games, cartoons, etc. We never see Bruce eating or exercising, but he always looks incredibly swole, lol.

Quote:
Anyway, this is all moot, because we seem to be agreed on what is appropriate. I was initially reacting to the term 'huge', which put me in mind of the inhuman proportions of the videogame Batman, which would clearly be inappropriate.
Agreed. Joe has a near perfect build for Batman, I'd say Cavill had the perfect superhero physique though.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #323
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Considering how fast everyone has jumped from pro-Evans to anti all I can say is I'm glad Cold Light of Day didn't come out before Cavill was cast as Superman.
Yeah, Cold Light of Day and No One Lives are both terrible movies who make the actors look terrible as well. Not good indicators of acting talent. But still, it's hard not to judge Evans based off his performance in that. Especially since he's never really had a huge breakout role. The Raven remains his best example of Batman, imo.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #324
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im not giving up on Evans. He has potential. He's a solid actor but from what ive seen that's only in his natural accent.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #325
EliteF50
Side-Kick

You should watch The Raven and No One Lives.

Closed Thread