The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
GremlinZilla89
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Y'know until you calm down and write legible posts it's all going to look like this.

Petty insults. Nice. At least I'm not one of those fans who whined and begged and pleaded for YEARS for a Superman film to let loose and show the full potential of these characters only to get that, and then whine about it.


Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 06-17-2013 at 10:01 AM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes took the fight to them IN public.


Last edited by Rock Sexton; 06-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Petty insults. Nice. At least I'm not one of those fans who whined and begged and pleaded for YEARS for a Superman film to let loose and show the full potential of these characters only to get that, and then whine about it.
I didn't actually ask for anything of the sort. I asked for a good Superman film. I got a pretty good one, but it had flaws which I'm happily discussing with most people.

However, there's a few people as always who will go full on militant in their defense of the film and start losing their **** over criticisms of it. Oh well, that's the internet.

So that in mind I use the tools I have at my disposal to drive the point home at how absurdly intolerant people like you are at accepting people's opinions. Not as facts, but simply as those people's opinions.

Please move on from the hyperbole and caps so that a proper discussion can be had or you'll devolve into the likes of sf2 and his text speak phase of communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes to the fight to them IN public.
A relatively logical assumption is being made that this is Clark fresh off the farm so to speak so it's something he'll learn in time. It might even be something that gets put under the microscope early in the sequel when he fails to save the lives of people and takes the loss personally.

I'm looking forward to it with cautious optimism.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
Regthar
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes to the fight to them IN public.
So they set up their big machine over Metropolis and start destroying the city, and you think Superman can just "lure them away" and they will willingly follow? If I were in their shoes, I would stay behind and think to myself "that was easier than I thought!" ;-)

Regthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I agree with you. My only complaint would be the lack of remorse over all of the casualties that Superman showed. If there had been one scene with Lois after the final battle where the two acknowledge the devastation and lives lost, I think there would be fewer complaints. But it just jumps straight to a happy ending instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
All I need is a line or two in the next one about the "destruction last time you rumbled" or something.

I don't need to see mass mourning or grief....
Couldn't agree more! There needed to be some kind of acknowledgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes to the fight to them IN public.
You protect the innocent by stopping the threat. You think Zod would have given Superman a chance to load people into ambulances or escort them out of harm's way? He was engaged in all out brawl with someone that was on a war path.

And what happens if Superman does try luring him away and Zod, a General and master tactician, doesn't take the bait and he causes thousands more deaths because of this.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

RockSexton was probably referring to the Faora battle and the latter Zod one.

FlawlessVictory, the point you're missing is that Superman did not look to take the battle away from innocent civilians once faced with Zod. For example, he flew Zod straight into the train station where a large number of innocent civilians were. You'd think that considering Zod has said he's going to massacre the human race that it'd be a good idea to cannonball him into a relatively abandoned part of the planet when heading back through the atmosphere. He clearly had the upper hand when descending back to Earth, so he could've definitely done that.

The honest truth behind it is that the filmmakers opted for spectacle and staged tragedy, so taking logical steps to show a protective Superman would've quite definitely come in the way of. Regarding Zod, the master tactician and supreme warrior, he's really just a bad guy. And let's make no mistake, most antagonists are arrogant enough that they WILL follow especially if they've got a chance to potentially hand the protagonist his ass in a paper bag. Further to that, Zod was defeated by a guy he quite proudly mocked for being trained/raised on a farm. Doesn't say much for him.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Turning my back on useless people.
Posts: 6,952
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

I actually liked the fact there were a lot of casualties because you got a sense of what the reality of super powered beings as a real thing would be like if they were to collide in heavily populated areas. My one issue I had with Avengers is that you did not get a true sense of tragedy with the implied death toll of Loki's army as it was destroying everything. In Man Of Steel I think the impact of mass casualties were handled with more gravitas.

__________________
- If you would do anything for money than you'll go down some pretty soul shrinking depraved paths to get to it.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - The reason why I listen to European Metal.

Isn't this far better but still pop-like?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
And what happens if Superman does try luring him away and Zod, a General and master tactician, doesn't take the bait and he causes thousands more deaths because of this.
What Zod were you watching? The moment Supes went after him when he threatened to kill every living human on the planet, Zod was focused exclusively on Supes. That's why I expected Superman to use that to his advantage and get him away from the public.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #34
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
RockSexton was probably referring to the Faora battle and the latter Zod one.

FlawlessVictory, the point you're missing is that Superman did not look to take the battle away from innocent civilians once faced with Zod. For example, he flew Zod straight into the train station where a large number of innocent civilians were. You'd think that considering Zod has said he's going to massacre the human race that it'd be a good idea to cannonball him into a relatively abandoned part of the planet when heading back through the atmosphere. He clearly had the upper hand when descending back to Earth, so he could've definitely done that.
This.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
GremlinZilla89
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
I didn't actually ask for anything of the sort. I asked for a good Superman film. I got a pretty good one, but it had flaws which I'm happily discussing with most people.

However, there's a few people as always who will go full on militant in their defense of the film and start losing their **** over criticisms of it. Oh well, that's the internet.

So that in mind I use the tools I have at my disposal to drive the point home at how absurdly intolerant people like you are at accepting people's opinions. Not as facts, but simply as those people's opinions.

Please move on from the hyperbole and caps so that a proper discussion can be had or you'll devolve into the likes of sf2 and his text speak phase of communication.



A relatively logical assumption is being made that this is Clark fresh off the farm so to speak so it's something he'll learn in time. It might even be something that gets put under the microscope early in the sequel when he fails to save the lives of people and takes the loss personally.

I'm looking forward to it with cautious optimism.

I'm not militant nor am I losing my **** over criticisms. I don't think anybody is wrong. But I DO think some opinions can be nitpicky in the extreme and stupid. Call me arrogant if you will, but that's how I see it. I don't have a problem with people who feel the editing and narrative is sloppy. I don't agree with it or see it at all, but I CAN see how others may. This compliant on the other hand is something else. We live in a world where pop culture is consumed and analyzed TO DEATH by everybody. Every single aspect of a film, show, book, comic, album etc is put under such a microscope that the magic gets sucked right out of it. Complaints get exaggerated and overblown. Like this one. Having not seen the film, one would think Superman just willy-nilly destroys everything is site, civilians be damned. This is, factually IN the film-not the case.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
In Man Of Steel I think the impact of mass casualties were handled with more gravitas.
I disagree with this. When you deal with casualties on such a scale there's only the element of it being statistical as opposed to tragic.

Hell, Superman barely batted an eyelid at the destruction. It's one of the symptoms of the perceived lack of compassion. I have no problems with the disaster on a large scale, but jeez, it's Superman. He should feel it.

I remember Waid's Birthright gave Clark a power where he saw a person's aura or life-force leave them as they died and it really hurt him on an emotional level.

Can you imagine if that was in this film? It would've turned the question of casualties on its head and exposed Clark's true achilles heel, which has always been innocents in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I'm not militant nor am I losing my **** over criticisms. I don't think anybody is wrong. But I DO think some opinions can be nitpicky in the extreme and stupid. Call me arrogant if you will, but that's how I see it. I don't have a problem with people who feel the editing and narrative is sloppy. I don't agree with it or see it at all, but I CAN see how others may. This compliant on the other hand is something else. We live in a world where pop culture is consumed and analyzed TO DEATH by everybody. Every single aspect of a film, show, book, comic, album etc is put under such a microscope that the magic gets sucked right out of it. Complaints get exaggerated and overblown. Like this one. Having not seen the film, one would think Superman just willy-nilly destroys everything is site, civilians be damned. This is, factually IN the film-not the case.
You're being militant and fanatic. Telling people that they're being stupid because you don't agree with their opinion is a symptom of fanaticism.

Going on a single paragraph rampage with caps to stress a point and then complaining about the very medium you're enabling is a symptom of internet militancy. Don't be mad, just cut it out. Don't be mad.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-17-2013 at 10:32 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
kalhawj
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 621
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I wish Superman would have told people to run and show more concern but hey I'm not complain it just a minor thing for me.
Funny you mention this... He did in the smallville battle... He told the people to run and hide. People it's a 2 1/2 hours movie... if you wanted all the other scene it would be 3+ hours... Anyway I saw this movie for the second times and I love it even more... Watch it again if you are confuse about some parts of the movie.

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
GremlinZilla89
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

You are to ASSUME nobody was in the gas station when they flew through it. And nobody was in the silo or whatever it was...nor where there people at the train station Supes threw the one henchman into. We are shown this, but you ASSUME there may have been people in there, when we as an audience are MEANT to assume the exact opposite. Just like most every fanboy on the planet ASSUMED there weren't people in the multiple of cars Batman blew up with his batpod in TDK. But AH! Nolan shows us THREE people near this destruction! Two of them kids! They could have been killed! Where is the uproar there? Snyder does not do this in ANY scene in the film, save to IHOP moment...where Superman is getting his ass beat.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Regthar
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
RockSexton was probably referring to the Faora battle and the latter Zod one.
In that case: As I mentioned earlier, Supes tells people to get inside as he's walking towards Faora. I can understand if he (in that moment) doesn't fully realize that it's not safe inside either

Vs. Zod I don't think there was much he could do, given Zods intentions now that his masterplan has failed.

But as you said, the team wanted massive destruction and so did a lot of fans. I'm one of those, who really wanted to see a massive fight in Metropolis. All the action we missed in earlier films, we got this time!

But I just don't see what Supes should've done to satisfy everyone. He has a couple of saves in Smallville (soldiers, but they're human too )
After that, the threat is so big, that he can't waste time running around rescuing random citizens, as even more people will die while he does that. He has to go after the source.

Before it all goes crazy, he surrenders to Zod even though he's convinced he can't trust him. To save the planet, he goes anyway. I just don't see what more he should do.

Regthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #40
blumatic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 566
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes to the fight to them IN public.
He did save two military personnel during the Smallville fight. But the big blue boy scout was missing. Im sad that it wasnt in there for people to really enjoy.

I think most of the complaints about the film really stem from the audience not connecting with Superman. Most of the were entertained but many couldnt enjoy the film because they were too busy looking for the character they recognized, the Boy Scout. But he was not in there. And I hate that for the fans that love that side of Superman, that fell in love with that side of Superman. That was a deal breaker for many. No matter how excellent everything was that was a deal breaker. And I cant say that they're wrong.

Me, I loved the film. And for those like me, we saw a Superman we've never seen before. And we were waiting for this side of him to show up. Not so much how he handle Zod at the end but how he battled, how he flew, his heat vision. His power and ability was so breathtaking to see. And how Zack Snyder coordinated these fight scenes was masterful. And I loved the dialouge in between the fights. It was a nice way to break up the mayhem.

I've said alot, the sequel will make people appreciate today's MOS.


Last edited by blumatic; 06-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.
blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #41
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
RockSexton was probably referring to the Faora battle and the latter Zod one.

FlawlessVictory, the point you're missing is that Superman did not look to take the battle away from innocent civilians once faced with Zod. For example, he flew Zod straight into the train station where a large number of innocent civilians were. You'd think that considering Zod has said he's going to massacre the human race that it'd be a good idea to cannonball him into a relatively abandoned part of the planet when heading back through the atmosphere. He clearly had the upper hand when descending back to Earth, so he could've definitely done that.

The honest truth behind it is that the filmmakers opted for spectacle and staged tragedy, so taking logical steps to show a protective Superman would've quite definitely come in the way of. Regarding Zod, the master tactician and supreme warrior, he's really just a bad guy. And let's make no mistake, most antagonists are arrogant enough that they WILL follow especially if they've got a chance to potentially hand the protagonist his ass in a paper bag. Further to that, Zod was defeated by a guy he quite proudly mocked for being trained/raised on a farm. Doesn't say much for him.
Fair enough, ideally he should have taken the battle elsewhere, perhaps to the Arctic, but obviously then it wouldn't be as dramatic, but I get the point. I just still kind of think what if Zod doesn't follow him? Maybe first he goes after some people he believes Clark cares about?

My biggest beef though is that where is no acknowledgement to the destruction made. There definitely should have been. There needed to be a moment where we saw his sadness at what the city just went through.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan
 
ThanosOfTitans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 438
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

I'm honestly glad they didn't focus too much on Superman saving lives. I mean, seriously, any smart person had more than enough time to evacuate. Why the hell were there people at Museums and at work when it was already announced 24 hours ago that a militant alien population was threatening the city? I think the filmmakers emphasized Superman's capacity and genuine intent to save lives enough without overdoing it.

Plus, the whole distraction of the hero saving lives while in battle has been done to death...it's a bit cliche. Towards the end, when I saw all of those people in the building where the final battle took place...all I could think is...why the hell aren't these people leaving the city? especially with kids? Obviously, these people did not value their lives. You have a whole city collapsing around you and these people seem to have no sense of urgency or survival...hell...even at the daily planet...these fools waited until the last minute to decide to evacuate. where they do that at?

If a militant alien race threatens Washington, DC today...I can guarantee you I won't be any where downtown or at work or at a museum the next day...it's just cray.

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Turning my back on useless people.
Posts: 6,952
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
I disagree with this. When you deal with casualties on such a scale there's only the element of it being statistical as opposed to tragic.
I guess what I'm saying is that in comparing the alien invasion in Avengers to the way it was handled in Man Of Steel I didn't get the same sense of danger in Avengers with the citywide destruction of New York by the Chitauri as I did with the Kryptonian's destruction of Metropolis. I felt more personal peril in Man of Steel than I did in Avengers. I still like Avengers but I think DC handled the live action aspect of casualties in a super powered battle better. Maybe Thor: The Dark World can step up to the plate and accept DC's challenge to one up them?

__________________
- If you would do anything for money than you'll go down some pretty soul shrinking depraved paths to get to it.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - The reason why I listen to European Metal.

Isn't this far better but still pop-like?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #44
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I guess what I'm saying is that in comparing the alien invasion in Avengers to the way it was handled in Man Of Steel I didn't get the same sense of danger in Avengers with the citywide destruction of New York by the Chitauri as I did with the Kryptonian's destruction of Metropolis. I felt more personal peril in Man of Steel than I did in Avengers. I still like Avengers but I think DC handled the live action aspect of casualties in a super powered battle better. Maybe Thor: The Dark World can step up to the plate and accept DC's challenge to one up them?
There is no "challenge" .....

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #45
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,168
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
You are to ASSUME nobody was in the gas station when they flew through it. And nobody was in the silo or whatever it was...nor where there people at the train station Supes threw the one henchman into. We are shown this, but you ASSUME there may have been people in there, when we as an audience are MEANT to assume the exact opposite. Just like most every fanboy on the planet ASSUMED there weren't people in the multiple of cars Batman blew up with his batpod in TDK. But AH! Nolan shows us THREE people near this destruction! Two of them kids! They could have been killed! Where is the uproar there? Snyder does not do this in ANY scene in the film, save to IHOP moment...where Superman is getting his ass beat.
Whoa, we got a badass with caps coming at us. I'll humour you whilst I wait for a download to finish. I'll do it. I'm up for it. Let's go.

Silos typically are storage units for grains. Not people, so it's fine. But you're asking viewers to assume that there's no one in a gas station situated on Smallville's main street. Yep, that's logic. Good call.

You're also asking viewers to once again assume that there's no one in the train station or parking area for trains even though it's likely the only station or parking area in a relatively small town. Bravo.

I'm not going to discuss Batman because we're discussing Superman. We can hear your caps ridden response on those films later. One at a time.

So Snyder doesn't show anyone potentially dying or having died in this film. Really? Did you miss the entire Battle of Metropolis where civilians were left to their fate by not just Superman (who was admittedly busy, so he's excused) but also the nation's own National Guard & Military? Really?

Please watch the film again. But you'll make the excuse that you don't want to nitpick over the film's flaws and won't watch it for that reason. Fine, don't. But in that case, please stop defending the film's plotholes and errors if you're not truly in the mood. You're putting up a poor defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Fair enough, ideally he should have taken the battle elsewhere, perhaps to the Arctic, but obviously then it wouldn't be as dramatic, but I get the point. I just still kind of think what if Zod doesn't follow him? Maybe first he goes after some people he believes Clark cares about?

My biggest beef though is that where is no acknowledgement to the destruction made. There definitely should have been. There needed to be a moment where we saw his sadness at what the city just went through.
I wholeheartedly agree. That's where the conflict between hero and villain rises from. It boils down to protecting the ones the hero loves from the villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
I'm honestly glad they didn't focus too much on Superman saving lives. I mean, seriously, any smart person had more than enough time to evacuate. Why the hell were there people at Museums and at work when it was already announced 24 hours ago that a militant alien population was threatening the city? I think the filmmakers emphasized Superman's capacity and genuine intent to save lives enough without overdoing it.
So the filmmakers emphasized a hero's capacity to save lives on the grand level but on an intimate level it was him going 'well if they're still around, serves them right?' Am I understanding you?

Or are you implying that the filmmakers have portrayed a Metropolis inhabited by an inherently stupid populace? Surely with their desire to portray realism they'd show a more contemporary population staying at home or fleeing major cities?

Based on your assumption the filmmakers casually ignored these kinds of responses that the real world would make to such an event or just don't understand what it means to be human. Neither is a glowing endorsement for their ability to make films steeped in realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
Plus, the whole distraction of the hero saving lives while in battle has been done to death...it's a bit cliche. Towards the end, when I saw all of those people in the building where the final battle took place...all I could think is...why the hell aren't these people leaving the city? especially with kids? Obviously, these people did not value their lives. You have a whole city collapsing around you and these people seem to have no sense of urgency or survival...hell...even at the daily planet...these fools waited until the last minute to decide to evacuate. where they do that at?
Again, it's the same point you make. I agree with you and the responsibility lies at the doorstep of the filmmakers. You can't blame a fictional population for not being appropriately vigilant.

Though the concept of saving lives in battle being clichéd should go hand in hand with world invasions by enemies being very clichéd on screen too, no?

I'll be honest, I'm thoroughly bored to death of seeing Independence Day being recycled in three different franchise films. Five if you count all three Transformers films. I'm sure there's more, but these are the big ones that grossed the big dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
If a militant alien race threatens Washington, DC today...I can guarantee you I won't be any where downtown or at work or at a museum the next day...it's just cray.
Third time same point. Third time I'm agreeing with you. Could've done that all with one paragraph you know. I could've too, but this way is more fun.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #46
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,492
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
When Kryptonians attack...cities are reduced to rubble and tens of thousands of innocents perish. It happens. I don't know why people have a problem with the scale of destruction.

I do think that the movie would have been improved by Superman trying to save people, and Zod using that as a way of defeating Superman. Supes gets the upper hand? Throw a few people out of a building, then unload on Supes as he catches them. It plays closer to both characters...Superman's compassion being shown AND the General's intelligence and tactics over trying to match punch for punch. In the end, Superman would just have to outsmart the smarter man. But still, thousands should have died in a battle like that...and since its a movie...I'm okay with that.
See the end.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #47
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I agree with you. My only complaint would be the lack of remorse over all of the casualties that Superman showed. If there had been one scene with Lois after the final battle where the two acknowledge the devastation and lives lost, I think there would be fewer complaints. But it just jumps straight to a happy ending instead.

I just had to had to jump in and add a few things here. When Zod and Superman destructed the gas pump, the people who were NOT in their vehicle at the time, were shown in a flash, first, inside the gas station BEFORE their car caught fire and blew up. The vehicle was empty. The station itself was fine.

Now maybe that was rude for Superman to punch Zod for killing his father, then trying to kill his Earth mother all the while burning up someone's car, but I don't know, if you're super powered aliens maybe it kind of gets excused I think.

Second, Perry White notices things happening outside the Daily Planet, a tall building in Metropolis, and says, time to evacuate the building, or something close to that. Then we see Superman and Zod crash into a building later while fighting and that tall office building is clearly empty.

These two events, the statement from Perry and the empty building scene imply that everyone left the buildings when they saw alien things going on outside. Maybe there were some people who didn't run fast enough on the ground when the buildings fell, but the general implication I took from the film was everyone had time to evacuate and there were some, but not many casualties.

I think generally, a lot of people are missing these modern day film explanations, which are quick flashes and comments, and instead make their own assumptions, which may not be the correct assumptions.

They show Metropolis when Zod and Superman are flying and you can see, most of Metropolis is still in tact. There's only a portion of it with a lot of destruction.

I do agree with someone's comment I read above, I think most people were aware of the alien invasion and had evacuated the city. It makes sense the top newspaper reporters would have tried to stay until the last minute to get the "story".


Last edited by curiosity; 06-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #48
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan
 
ThanosOfTitans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 438
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Whoa, we got a badass with caps coming at us. I'll humour you whilst I wait for a download to finish. I'll do it. I'm up for it. Let's go.

Silos typically are storage units for grains. Not people, so it's fine. But you're asking viewers to assume that there's no one in a gas station situated on Smallville's main street. Yep, that's logic. Good call.

You're also asking viewers to once again assume that there's no one in the train station or parking area for trains even though it's likely the only station or parking area in a relatively small town. Bravo.

I'm not going to discuss Batman because we're discussing Superman. We can hear your caps ridden response on those films later. One at a time.

So Snyder doesn't show anyone potentially dying or having died in this film. Really? Did you miss the entire Battle of Metropolis where civilians were left to their fate by not just Superman (who was admittedly busy, so he's excused) but also the nation's own National Guard & Military? Really?

Please watch the film again. But you'll make the excuse that you don't want to nitpick over the film's flaws and won't watch it for that reason. Fine, don't. But in that case, please stop defending the film's plotholes and errors if you're not truly in the mood. You're putting up a poor defense.



I wholeheartedly agree. That's where the conflict between hero and villain rises from. It boils down to protecting the ones the hero loves from the villain.



So the filmmakers emphasized a hero's capacity to save lives on the grand level but on an intimate level it was him going 'well if they're still around, serves them right?' Am I understanding you?

Or are you implying that the filmmakers have portrayed a Metropolis inhabited by an inherently stupid populace? Surely with their desire to portray realism they'd show a more contemporary population staying at home or fleeing major cities?

Based on your assumption the filmmakers casually ignored these kinds of responses that the real world would make to such an event or just don't understand what it means to be human. Neither is a glowing endorsement for their ability to make films steeped in realism.



Again, it's the same point you make. I agree with you and the responsibility lies at the doorstep of the filmmakers. You can't blame a fictional population for not being appropriately vigilant.

Though the concept of saving lives in battle being clichéd should go hand in hand with world invasions by enemies being very clichéd on screen too, no?

I'll be honest, I'm thoroughly bored to death of seeing Independence Day being recycled in three different franchise films. Five if you count all three Transformers films. I'm sure there's more, but these are the big ones that grossed the big dollars.



Third time same point. Third time I'm agreeing with you. Could've done that all with one paragraph you know. I could've too, but this way is more fun.

Hahaha I agree with you. It's one of the things I immediately didn't like about the movie...all I kept thinking is...why are all of these people still in the city when they've been given more than enough notice to get the hell out of there? It was a poor choice on the filmmaker's part.

I guess I can see your point...if the filmmakers made the decision to have all of these civilians just lounging in the city while it's literally being demolished...maybe emphasize Superman's attempt to minimize the casualties as much as possible or how the casualties affected him?

Another wtf moment was how Louis managed to climb/hike a mountain in the freezing cold without any equipment to reach the Kryptonian ship. - _- Off topic I know.

The movie definitely had its flaws, but I still enjoyed it.

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,492
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
What Zod were you watching? The moment Supes went after him when he threatened to kill every living human on the planet, Zod was focused exclusively on Supes. That's why I expected Superman to use that to his advantage and get him away from the public.
Zod made a speech about his mission being the suffering of every human on the planet. Pretty sure the only reason you didn't see anything is because superman kept the pressure on.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
dabilee01
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 336
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

i understand all of the complaints to a certain degree. the one thing i wish they would have shown is supes using his freeze breath to extinguish the 7-11 fire. now, that would have killed two birds with one stone: acknowledging and addressing the damage and potential life threatening situation AND displaying another power.

sigh.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.