The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #51
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,649
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabilee01 View Post
i understand all of the complaints to a certain degree. the one thing i wish they would have shown is supes using his freeze breath to extinguish the 7-11 fire. now, that would have killed two birds with one stone: acknowledging and addressing the damage and potential life threatening situation AND displaying another power.

sigh.
Amazing how such a simple act can have such a huge effect on reception. Maybe if fan boys start up enough commotion about it, we might get a film that goes overboard on that next time.

Considering what happened last time lol.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Attacking the weak point for maximum damage.
Posts: 6,245
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
There is no "challenge" .....
Oh the challenge is there. That challenge is for Marvel not to rest on its laurels and get lazy or the DC movie franchises will get more attention. Let's face it...Marvel needs to aggressively get creative with their stable of heroes because several of their hard hitters have several movies. Marvel needs to work harder to keep things fresh whereas DC has yet to unleash movies for their roster and find the right creative team to pull them all together in a Justice League team up. Basically the rivalry between the two is a win/win for fans because hopefully we'll get better written, much more epic movies from both Marvel and DC in the future.

__________________
http://www.think-positive.us/get-up-...-are-down.html

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.


"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,354
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regthar View Post
He does that in Smallville when walking down the street just before hell breakes loose. He tells people to get inside, as it is not safe for them out on the street.
Yeah stay inside so when I smash this building to rubble you can be crushed by the debris.

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,354
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Maybe I have a complete minunderstanding of the character that is Superman .....

But on the pecking order of his responsibilities I always thought it went:

1. Protecting the innocent
2. Fighting/Brawling

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes took the fight to them IN public.
and then he takes the opportunity in ground zero to make out with his girlfriend.

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #55
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Oh the challenge is there. That challenge is for Marvel not to rest on its laurels and get lazy or the DC movie franchises will get more attention. Let's face it...Marvel needs to aggressively get creative with their stable of heroes because several of their hard hitters have several movies. Marvel needs to work harder to keep things fresh whereas DC has yet to unleash movies for their roster and find the right creative team to pull them all together in a Justice League team up. Basically the rivalry between the two is a win/win for fans because hopefully we'll get better written, much more epic movies from both Marvel and DC in the future.
No seriously. There is no challenge. And all your comment does is attempt to shake the Marvel vs. DC fanboy bee hive.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #56
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

Was really surprised that this movie featured absolutely none of the luring away of the bad guy to keep them from harming the public. Supes took the fight to them IN public.
Actually, he rammed Zod and punched him for trying to kill his mother. Zod was at his mother's home, he did not take him there.

There was a terraforming ship located in the city. The Kryptonians were throwing Superman around the city. Sort of difficult to force them to stop destroying the Earth when they were doing it from the city, unless you ummm.....fight them off in the city.

Cutting to the chase, it wasn't a lot of destruction for saving the entire human race from getting killed.

curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #57
DorneyDave
Side-Kick
 
DorneyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Amazing how such a simple act can have such a huge effect on reception. Maybe if fan boys start up enough commotion about it, we might get a film that goes overboard on that next time.

Considering what happened last time lol.
Man of Steel 2: Superman builds things and attends thousands of funerals while making jokes.

RT Rating - 99.9 Percent.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #58
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,057
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Well the comparison I've seen made is that while The Avengers also featured a major battle in the middle of a city, containing the damage and helping the civilians were a major part of what the Heroes were doing.

Now I don't think as much focus was necessary or even possible here. The Avengers are a team, such strategizing is the entire point for the Avengers to exist.

However it is a valid point that the Avengers as a film at least takes a moment to reflect on the damage and the effect of the attack at least in passing.

MOS ends with Clark going to work. Would there even be work to go to in Metropolis, much of which was pulverized along with potentially millions of people?

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #59
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
and then he takes the opportunity in ground zero to make out with his girlfriend.
Or he takes the opportunity to kiss her around the destructed empty buildings. Or in case no one noticed, Superman/ Clark and Lois, almost got sucked up into the black hole with the ship, he was flying away with her as fast as he could, they both barely escaped with their lives.

So if you were almost killed with your girlfriend, you wouldn't want to kiss her when you both managed to escape with your lives?

curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #60
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
I don't understand the complaints about the destruction & death toll in MOS. It's not like huge destruction scenes haven't happened in animated versions of Superman either (DCAU) and no one ever complains about those! Is it seriously just because MOS looks more real than a cartoon?

And it's just a movie, geez. It's not like anyone actually died. They were CGI buildings full of CGI people.

I swear some people must have the dumbest brains on the planet to be complaining about the apparent irresponsibility of Supes indirectly causing destruction when he's having to fight Zod.

-Destroyed by two CGI characters punching each other. Why should we, the audience, care about them either?

You try to call people out as having "the dumbest brains on the planet" (lol!) for recognizing obvious flaws and inconsistencies in the character/movie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
This stuff happens in the comics and it gets a free pass, yet it happens in live-action and everyone is up in arms about it haha. Can't please everybody. People gotta complain about the most insignificant things. Oh well, my heart is still beating and life is going great for me so I'm not gonna waste my breath arguing over a FICTIONAL MOVIE.




Hmm, you've got nearly 4,000 posts in a forum about FICTIONAL CHARACTERS- which tells me otherwise about it's importance to you. But oh wait, this argument isn't in your favour. I get it.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #61
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Well the comparison I've seen made is that while The Avengers also featured a major battle in the middle of a city, containing the damage and helping the civilians were a major part of what the Heroes were doing.

Now I don't think as much focus was necessary or even possible here. The Avengers are a team, such strategizing is the entire point for the Avengers to exist.

However it is a valid point that the Avengers as a film at least takes a moment to reflect on the damage and the effect of the attack at least in passing.

MOS ends with Clark going to work. Would there even be work to go to in Metropolis, much of which was pulverized along with potentially millions of people?
Hated the Avengers it was stupid. Very, very stupid especially the Loki story. Oh wait, that was the entire story. Lol

This isn't the Avengers thread.

Much of Metropolis was left in tact. Clark/ Superman is powerful enough to clean the mess up quickly. Again that is implied. You have to be smart enough to interpret this modern day movie correctly. It's not cartoon like.


Last edited by curiosity; 06-17-2013 at 11:31 AM.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #62
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Actually, he rammed Zod and punched him for trying to kill his mother. Zod was at his mother's home, he did not take him there.
Huh? You're not understanding what I meant. Zod was in Smallville .... Superman took "his fight" to Zod in that very city.

Quote:
There was a terraforming ship located in the city. The Kryptonians were throwing Superman around the city. Sort of difficult to force them to stop destroying the Earth when they were doing it from the city, unless you ummm.....fight them off in the city.
See for me the threat of the terraforming ship was exaggerated when we see Supers making scrap metal of the one in the Indian Ocean by simply ramming himself through it. Why didn't he just do that to the one in Metropolis? Ah yes, the story as written by Goyer puts emphasis on kicking the Krptonians back into the Phantom Zone. Couldn't both have been accomplished?

Quote:
Cutting to the chase, it wasn't a lot of destruction for saving the entire human race from getting killed.
Wasn't a lot of destruction? It nearly leveled half of Metropolis.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #63
Regthar
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 23
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Yeah stay inside so when I smash this building to rubble you can be crushed by the debris.
Yup. I'm sure that's what he planned to do.
Do you have a point?

I was responding to someone who wanted to see some concern for the people. He shows that concern with that line.
Would you rather have seen him entertain Faora with a little magic trick while people packed their belongings and left town in a safe and orderly manner?

Regthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #64
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,649
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Or he takes the opportunity to kiss her around the destructed empty buildings. Or in case no one noticed, Superman/ Clark and Lois, almost got sucked up into the black hole with the ship, he was flying away with her as fast as he could, they both barely escaped with their lives.

So if you were almost killed with your girlfriend, you wouldn't want to kiss her when you both managed to escape with your lives?
Cinema tropes would dictate that, that is the best time for a first kiss.

Speed(the movie) is an essay on this very concept lol.

Ground Zero is also the place to make Falafel jokes, seeing as we are all so eager to make Avengers comparisons.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #65
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
Man of Steel 2: Superman builds things and attends thousands of funerals
The city was mostly empty. Your reasoning is incorrect.

curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,649
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
See for me the threat of the terraforming ship was exaggerated when we see Supers making scrap metal of the one in the Indian Ocean by simply ramming himself through it. Why didn't he just do that to the one in Metropolis? Ah yes, the story as written by Goyer puts emphasis on kicking the Krptonians back into the Phantom Zone. Couldn't both have been accomplished?
Pretty sure he happened upon that last resort(that nearly killed him and caused a huge explosion), after it would have served any good to metropolis...

pretty sure the phantom zone hole approach in metropolis was better plan anyways.

But then again Goyer name is sort of a conversation ender.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #67
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan
 
ThanosOfTitans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 432
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Can't we all just agree the film was good with some flaws? maybe? lol

And this was much better than Superman Returns in my humble opinion. That has to count for something, right?

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #68
Dar
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 79
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Or he takes the opportunity to kiss her around the destructed empty buildings. Or in case no one noticed, Superman/ Clark and Lois, almost got sucked up into the black hole with the ship, he was flying away with her as fast as he could, they both barely escaped with their lives.

So if you were almost killed with your girlfriend, you wouldn't want to kiss her when you both managed to escape with your lives?


Thank you! That's how I took it, even on first viewing. Saw it as an "Oh my god, you almost died" and "Holy ****, the world almost ended" adrenaline fueled attraction succumbing moment for the two of them.

Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
curiosity
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Huh? You're not understanding what I meant. Zod was in Smallville .... Superman took "his fight" to Zod in that very city.


Wasn't a lot of destruction? It nearly leveled half of Metropolis.

Watched the movie twice so I could review it correctly, it was only a small portion of the city which was destructed. He had to save his mother in Smallville. I saw it as he was protecting her, they were after her, and what she knew. I don't think they would have chased him away from Smallville, remember they were looking for the codex, or the key or something.


Last edited by curiosity; 06-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #70
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Pretty sure he happened upon that last resort(that nearly killed him and caused a huge explosion), after it would have served any good to metropolis...

pretty sure the phantom zone hole approach in metropolis was better plan anyways.

But then again Goyer name is sort of a conversation ender.
What else was he intending to do to the Terra ship in the Indian Ocean then?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #71
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 106
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

This guy said everything I think needs to be said about the destruction in this movie. Especially as a fellow New Yorker, this guy especially gets why that last scene was so icky.

http://bullyscomics.blogspot.com/201...pocalypse.html

Hcmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #72
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,649
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Well the comparison I've seen made is that while The Avengers also featured a major battle in the middle of a city, containing the damage and helping the civilians were a major part of what the Heroes were doing.

Now I don't think as much focus was necessary or even possible here. The Avengers are a team, such strategizing is the entire point for the Avengers to exist.

However it is a valid point that the Avengers as a film at least takes a moment to reflect on the damage and the effect of the attack at least in passing.
1. Maybe if batman was around Superman could do the exact same thing whilst batman saves a few people and we all celebrate.

2. Perhaps that was the purpose of the national guard.

Hard to compare to avengers for the reasons you stated, it's a team movie. One in which Hulk and Ironman and Thor are simply fighting whilst cap is running around making requests. If they made a jla movie and Flash and GL didn't save a single random life I'd be right there with the detractors.

Not to make more un fair comparisons but Tony Stark nuking an alien invasion is pretty hardcore...even for him.

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #73
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,649
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
What else was he intending to do to the Terra ship in the Indian Ocean then?
Ramming speed wasn't his first approach, especially before he encountered the fleischer tentacles. If ramming speed was his initial approach he could have done it from the jump no?

__________________
A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #74
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,497
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

So I've always thought Metropolis was the DC equivalent of Chicago. (I know many comics depict it as east coast. And even neighbors with Gotham. But Chicago makes more sense to me. It's closer to Smallville, more central USA, heck there's even a city called Metropolis in Illinois!

Anyway. For example, Chicago has a population of 2.8 million (rounded up) and an area of 234 square miles. No time in the film do we get a survey of the damage of more than a few square miles. Factor that in with the fact that many people (with common sense during an alien invasion) were probably able to escape.

I estimate no more than a 40-50 thousand casualties. Including those in Smallville. Superman saved billions of innocent lives.


Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 06-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #75
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright
 
BlueLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,167
Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So I've always thought Metropolis was the DC equivalent of Chicago. (I know many comics depict it as east coast. And even neighbors with Gotham. But Chicago makes more sense to me. It's closer to Smallville, more central USA, heck there's even a city called Metropolis in Illinois!

Anyway. For example, Chicago has a population of 2.8 million (rounded up) and an area of 234 square miles. No time in the film do we get a survey of the damage of more than a few square miles. Factor that in with the fact that many people (with common sense during an alien invasion) were probably able to escape.

I estimate no more than a 40-50 thousand casualties. Including those in Smallville. Superman saved billions of innocent lives.
Hooray for Superman, we never thought he had it in him. Oh wait...he always wins. Saving billions of lives means very little because the truth is he was going to do this without fail unless the filmmakers wanted to really mess with people's heads.

The beauty of films like these aren't necessarily the end, unless it's something twisty and turny, but the journey. When the journey of an iconic character fails to incorporate iconic moments or characteristics, the statistics mean bugger-all.

Having scenes where Clark with a moment's respite immediately whizzes through the city picking people out of harm's way would've gone a thousand miles towards creating a more satisfying experience. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the grand scheme is built from small seeds. They're vital.

I didn't expect him to throw in a quick save everytime, but it would've meant a lot to people like myself it happened. The Jenny scene tugged at the heart strings of New Yorkers, but on a wider scale it probably didn't because the filmmakers took little time to build emotional stakes for the Planeteers.

But the odd couple of scenes showing Superman swooping into a save a threatened child/woman/any human? It would've done wonders for building him up as mankind's greatest protector. More so than the statistics. We don't see the statistics, we see what's shown with emotional stakes. That's what such films are about. Not numbers.

__________________
In fearful day in raging night, no evil shall escape my sight. When all seems lost and hope ignites, beware my power, Blue Lantern's light.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-17-2013 at 12:08 PM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.