The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
eLPAtitoyUPI
The real Spoder-Man

Default Re: Tasm 2 music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Yup! He didn't even bother writing a theme/motif for MJ, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, or Aunt May.
It's the minimum you can ask to a composer. And either way, it's was interlaced with Peter's theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyK
Hm, are you referring to the melody/chords at 1:49?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8IYbsqyg4
Yes, that's part of Horner's Spidey theme. That's the first time in the film it shows up, when Peter's finally being responsible and, well, being a hero.

Peter's theme is the one in The Equation and Main Title-Young Peter. Promises-End Credits, as a great main theme for a superhero movie, joins both themes together, both Peter's and Hero's, in a symbolic way to show that Peter Parker is Spider-Man and Spider-Man is Peter Parker.

Last edited by eLPAtitoyUPI; 06-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.
eLPAtitoyUPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #52
SpideyK
SHH14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLPAtitoyUPI View Post
Yes, that's part of Horner's Spidey theme. That's the first time in the film it shows up, when Peter's finally being responsible and, well, being a hero.

Peter's theme is the one in The Equation and Main Title-Young Peter. Promises-End Credits, as a great main theme for a superhero movie, joins both themes together, both Peter's and Hero's, in a symbolic way to show that Peter Parker is Spider-Man and Spider-Man is Peter Parker.
Okay, yeah, agreed.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yes, I like ASM2. No, I don't have sh**ty taste in movies.
SpideyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #53
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyK View Post
Not sure what you mean with highs needing to be punctuated more, though?
I mean when the main bit kicks in, it needs to kick in, ya know? I want it to stand out more. It meshes in too much with the rest of the song.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
SpideyK
SHH14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
I mean when the main bit kicks in, it needs to kick in, ya know? I want it to stand out more. It meshes in too much with the rest of the song.
Hm, you aren't using YouTube to judge, I hope?

If you are, then download a FLAC (lossless) of it and listen to it with some decent speakers or headphones, instead, to really judge it.

I'm using a pair of studio monitors, and I haven't noticed any weird "meshing" or lack of impact when the main part kicks in.

If you're comparing the impact and amount of bass to a Hans Zimmer track, then I suppose I get where you're coming from. Zimmers recent stuff is basically produced and mastered like a freakin' EDM record - loud and bass heavy, that is.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #55
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I really like the main theme as heard in Promises/End Titles and at the end of Saving New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8qX4PygoB4
6.32 to 7.00

More of that during action sequences please.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #56
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I really like the main theme as heard in Promises/End Titles and at the end of Saving New York.

6.32 to 7.00

I respectfully disagree. There isn't many fitting action tunes in the first score imo, the only fitting one being the alley fight and after that the action parts are pretty uninspired. They used the main theme in the school fight scene and it just didn't click for me

this is from the video game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGiGVaA8TgQ

the part I mainly wanna address starts around 0:44. Now that's an awesome intense piece of music right there

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #57
SpideyK
SHH14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I respectfully disagree. There isn't many fitting action tunes in the first score imo, the only fitting one being the alley fight and after that the action parts are pretty uninspired. They used the main theme in the school fight scene and it just didn't click for me

the part I mainly wanna address starts around 0:44. Now that's an awesome intense piece of music right there
You're calling Saving New York uninspired, and still, somehow prefer the generic ASM video game music over the main theme in the movie.......?

Horner's theme melody is probably the best, memorable, superhero theme we've gotten, since John Williams' Superman score. And anyone who calls the Elfman theme more memorable than Horner's is..... Well, not someone I'd agree with. Just throwing that out there.

As for the score for the action scenes being uninspired:

^@1:49. Personally, that's probably one of the coolest things in a soundtrack I've heard since like... Ever.

I really have no idea where you're coming from.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #58
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:

6.32 to 7.00

That whole track was great. Horner was creating different emotions musically throughout that track. From suspenseful, moving, uplifting, etc. It really nailed Peter's struggle and motivation to get to Oscorp and stopping Connors. That snippet you highlighted is very triumphant and courageous. It really nails the character, imo. It really enhanced the scene as well.

Quote:
You're calling Saving New York uninspired, and still, somehow prefer the generic ASM video game music over the main theme in the movie.......?

Horner's theme melody is probably the best, memorable, superhero theme we've gotten, since John Williams' Superman score. And anyone who calls the Elfman theme more memorable than Horner's is..... Well, not someone I'd agree with. Just throwing that out there.

^@1:49. Personally, that's probably one of the coolest things in a soundtrack I've heard since like... Ever.

It's a shame that track wasn't on the album. It's a very intense track. I liked what Horner brought to the franchise and hope he stays. A lot of people were moaning that Elfman's Spidey motif wasn't memorable or on the same level as Williams Superman (what is?), but then when Horner attempts to give Spidey the theme they were hoping for since '02'. Those same people complain that it's too heroic for Spidey, but would work better for Superman. Some of them need to make up their mind of what they want in Spider-man score. I'm happy with both Elfman and Horner came up with from their respective films.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #59
SpideyK
SHH14

Quote:
It's a shame that track wasn't on the album. It's a very intense track. I liked what Horner brought to the franchise and hope he stays. A lot of people were moaning that Elfman's Spidey motif wasn't memorable or on the same level as Williams Superman (what is?), but then when Horner attempts to give Spidey the theme they were hoping for since '02'. Those same people complain that it's too heroic for Spidey, but would work better for Superman. Some of them need to make up their mind of what they want in Spider-man score. I'm happy with both Elfman and Horner came up with from their respective films.
You can actually find that track and many more "unreleased" cues, on The Amazing Spider-Man (Complete Score)

Anyway, totally agree with you on the whole Horner/Elfman thing - what the hell is wrong with people?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #60
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
That snippet you highlighted is very triumphant and courageous. It really nails the character, imo. It really enhanced the scene as well.
100% agreed. I like that theme.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #61
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:

easy boy! I didn't say that "Saving New York" was uninspired, I refered to most of the action tracks. I disagreed that the theme should be used more in the action scenes because the only time it was used in an action scene, Lizard school fight, it just didn't click for me. Saving New York hardly is an action track, at least the section where the main theme steps in

and yes, the track you now just linked is good. Hence the "most of the action tracks" not "all"

Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #62
Illustrious Var
Mentally Unstable

My issue with Horner's theme was that it just didn't feel like Spider-Man to me. There wasn't anything special about it, it lacked character and depth and just translated as something very generic.

Like, the point of a score is to emphasize a certain emotion that carries the tone of the film (and/or particular scene). If I were to hear that theme without knowing it's origins I would never have guessed it belonged to Spider-Man. This theme could have gone with any movie and still fit during any kind of moment of triumph or preparation.

When I think Spider-Man I think of something very fast with lots of intense percussion (which is something that's definitely missing from Horner's theme, there needs to be more drums). Spider-Man is a very mysterious character, hes got a dark past and a lot of troubles masqueraded behind a cocky attitude and funny quips, I'd like a theme that reflects that. Something quick and powerful but with a very dark and menacing undertone, like somethings looming in the shadows but you are never quite sure what.

One thing I really liked about Horner's theme was the quiet build up at the start (during the title screen of the movie), that was excellently done, I just wish it developed a bit more.

Quote:

This is faaaaaar more in line with the character then the movie's score in my opinion.

Last edited by Illustrious Var; 06-20-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Illustrious Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #63
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

it really sounds kinda "spidery"

Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #64
Morbius
Living Vampire

Wow thanks for the link guys!

I have to say, hands down, my favourite track in the entire movie is 'Becoming Spider-man' - it's hauntingly mysterious, then whimsical and then fantastic - I love how it captures the sense of mystery of our masked hero at 3:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ31oZzGnQY

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #65
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Interesting that you brought whimsical up, because that's my problem with both Elfman and Horner scores. They are too whimsical for a hero like Spider-Man. I'd like a Spider-Man score to have a little grit, no I don't mean dark, grit. Spider-Man of course is not a realistic concept but Spider-Man tackles with real life stuff. He is a street level hero usually stopping robbers and other criminals, and he also tries to keep up with his studies and social life, not to mention his job in the Bugle

When a supervillain comes along the universe shouldn't immediately turn to whimsical. No matter how absurd the villain, like the Lizard, and a Spider-powered superhero fighting him would be, it should still have a feeling that it's placed in this very real world. That's why I would make a case that a Spider-Man score should be lighthearted but also have this real world grit in it

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #66
AF3619
WOOO!

i think now that this movie will have a virtuoso Spider-man the theme will be more epic i would want another composer, i like James Horner score but i´ve seen a lot of people not liking the score , do you think the producers will change him?
Henry Jackman gets the vibrant superhero themes, i think could fit spidey well
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hans Zimmer does the heroic almost serious theme of Superhero like old school themes imho but he is with DC so...no
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Alan Silvestri could also pull of the Vibrant and Heroic theme but don´t know what he can really do
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #67
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

I loved Horner's work on ASM so I'd be more than happy with his return. And for nothing else than continuity, he should.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #68
SpideyK
SHH14

Quote:
easy boy! I didn't say that "Saving New York" was uninspired, I refered to most of the action tracks. I disagreed that the theme should be used more in the action scenes because the only time it was used in an action scene, Lizard school fight, it just didn't click for me. Saving New York hardly is an action track, at least the section where the main theme steps in

and yes, the track you now just linked is good. Hence the "most of the action tracks" not "all"
Okay, cool!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #69
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
i think now that this movie will have a virtuoso Spider-man the theme will be more epic i would want another composer, i like James Horner score but i´ve seen a lot of people not liking the score , do you think the producers will change him?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hans Zimmer does the heroic almost serious theme of Superhero like old school themes imho but he is with DC so...no
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Alan Silvestri could also pull of the Vibrant and Heroic theme but don´t know what he can really do
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I find Jackman to be overrated up here. I didn't care for his XM:FC score. And am glad Ottman's back for XMOFP. It irks me that Jackman might be scoring the CA sequel. Eventhough I didn't think Silvestri's score (to CA:TFA) was anything special asides from the CA march. I stlll enjoyed it. And am disappointed he won't return to evolve and expand upon his main theme.

And Zimmer, imo, needs to stay away from superhero movies in general. MOS was just a "noisefest" to my ears during the movie. His Batman scores pales in comparison to past Batman scores from the previous franchise.

I hope they keep Horner around. I want to hear where he can take the themes he introduced in the last film for a new Spidey adventure. As well as exploring and composing new themes for the new characters introduced in the sequel.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #70
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I think ‘whimsical’ main hero themes work for Spider-Man, because Spider-Man is more or less Peter’s escape from the stresses of life. Like how Andrew Garfield likened him to an internet troll. He puts on the mask and becomes an anonymous wisecracking, energetic superhero. The sadness and struggle of Peter is usually covered pretty well in the scores by both Elfman and Horner, especially by Horner IMO.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #71
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I loved what Henry Jackman did with First Class. I wouldn't mind him scoring Spider-Man one bit, but I did like Horner too. They're both quite good.

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #72
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
I think ‘whimsical’ main hero themes work for Spider-Man, because Spider-Man is more or less Peter’s escape from the stresses of life. Like how Andrew Garfield likened him to an internet troll. He puts on the mask and becomes an anonymous wisecracking, energetic superhero. The sadness and struggle of Peter is usually covered pretty well in the scores by both Elfman and Horner, especially by Horner IMO.
I'd just like that the whimsical side was more subtle. A street level hero could use a little street level grit in the music

Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #73
TH29
Side-Kick

I dug the score for the most part in part 1, I just feel like some of the best sections of music werent utilized more. Saving New York is great, and the section of music with the choir while hes on the roof getting ready to jump to the cranes too. And I think it worked great in the final swing, but I must say, I was a bit jealous of the Iron Man 3 theme, because I dont know, I just think its pretty bad ass and tough sounding. And think it could fit Spidey well too, but im happy Iron Man has one now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKec-R8Nxw

TH29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #74
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:

Horner's approach to the action scenes is why I really want him back.

He himself has said, while talking about ASM, that he feels the action scenes "take care of themselves". That, paired with what he delivered, showed he didn't really try with those scenes, and it very much left them feeling flat.

The score never delivered any tension or intensity.

Horner's ASM score is the exact opposite of Zimmer's MOS score.
Horner has mostly moderate and calm pieces with rarely any big and intense moments, while Zimmer had almost nothing but big and intense tracks, with very few quiet moments.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #75
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Brian Tyler is still my top pick for ASM2.

His work on Iron Man 3 blew me away.

I consider it to be the Top 5 all time CBM scores with Williams' Superman, Zimmer's Batman, Ottman's X2, and Elfman/Young's Spider-Man.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote