The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 85

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 84

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah, I mean i'll never be okay with the Zod solution, because I just think writing the situation in a way that there could be no other resolution was a mistake, and a statement that I don't really understand.

But in terms of the overall flow and pacing, and my ability to enjoy the movie, the second viewing was so much more fun.

I think it helped having friends there.

I had this one friend next to me who is really bad at sitting still and doesnt go to the cinema often. She kept making gags, and saying 'cheesy' and being genuinely annoying.

But even she had her hand over her mouth all through the tornado scene and started tearing up when he got swept away. She pretty much shut up after that. And afterwards she text me saying 'Thankyou for taking me to my first Superman, it was awesome :)'

Then I had this other friend on the other side of me, who kept grabbing me and going 'what the hell where you talking about, this is amazing'! :hehe:

You have to soften to the film a bit after that.

At the end of the day, it's done a really good job of making Superman cool and popular again.

Do I think they could have done it better? Yes. Do I think they could have done it without that ending? Hell yes.

But at least they did achieve that much :)
Lets say there was no Zod in this film.
Only Faora and her army .
Same ending.
Would The Faora Resolution have created a divided reaction among you and your friends ?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 86

Well yeah obviously a score in the 50s is by definition a non- consensus for recommending the film, at that point the reception is not just mixed but divided.
By school grades though, like so many people tend to treat the percentage, 50% is an outright failure. That is not a helpful way of looking at the score.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 86

did people have no problem with smII kill he killed a depowered zod then smiled lol

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

If the movie ended with The Kryptonians being sent back to the PZ or whereever they went, I would have been less impressed. It would have been more of the typical comic book crap where they "save" a villain so they can have another story to tell later.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Personally I think time will be very kind to this film, particularly if DC follows through on building this franchise and using it to branch out into their other properties.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I can agree that maybe this darker tone doesn't fully sit well with Superman, or maybe that they needed a real uplifting moment kinda like how the Reeve films tried to end. But I don't agree with the critics who say this was a dark, emotionless Superman. People act like the inspiration from Nolan turned him into a dark, emo, brooding charatcer. But no, that's what they desperately tried to do with Amazing Spider-Man, and why I don't like that version. But I didn't see anything wrong with Superman in this one, and again, I feel like the hate is not what this version was, its more about what it wasn't, meaning that it was different from what we're used to and people have a hard time moving forward.

It's no question why a flawed movie like SR has a 75% rating on RT, because it was familiar to people who loved Reeve. But like I said before, I love this movie for finally deciding to move away from that universe and begin its own thing.
It's probably not how you meant it but, just in case, I'll still clarify that I'm not saying anything about what I think about Superman and a darker tone as I haven't seen it yet.

As for TASM my biggest reaction to the character was that I was glad to have the Spider-Man that's joking and playing around when he's catching bad guys. I never found it more brooding than Spider-Man 2, for example (although not a dark character, Peter always has a good deal of problems). For some reason I haven't rewatched it yet so I don't remember everything clearly, but I will. But I guess this is something to take into account in the MOS reactions. We apparently saw TASM a bit differently and that might explain why some (again, not me) felt that MOS was too brooding and you didn't have that feeling.

I don't think I'll have any problems looking past Reeve as Superman, although some things I've heard does worry me a bit that it strays from some fundamental things that Superman has been in the comics I've read. I won't bring it up unless I feel the same after I've actually watched it though, especially since people seem to react to this movie very differently.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
did people have no problem with smII kill he killed a depowered zod then smiled lol
It was pretty light hearted, the times, the movie, and the scene.

Which is kinda perverse.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
If you've seen the TV version, you'd see they were arrested. So, he didn't kill them, but he wasn't above teaching those douchebags a lesson.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
No because he didnt kill him
There exists a cut overseas where the three kryptonian criminals And Luthor were turned over to the police .

Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Another similarity to Smallville is how someone(s) more-or-less tells/forces Clark to become Superman instead of it just something he decides to do on his own accord.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Maybe it's just me but that's the only version I've ever seen. He hands them all over.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Nobody forced Clark to do anything.
The film very strongly makes the point that Clark's entire life was building up to this moment .

Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

I've always seen the version where they just fall into the abyss in the FOS.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
There exists a cut overseas where the three kryptonian criminals And Luthor were turned over to the police .
We have yet to see the directors/extended cut of MoS

Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Maybe it's just me but that's the only version I've ever seen. He hands them all over.
Well, I have never seen that version,
but I never got the feeling that he killed them.
I just figured it was a very hard landing ,LOL.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Another similarity to Smallville is how someone(s) more-or-less tells/forces Clark to become Superman instead of it just something he decides to do on his own accord.
U dont understand father. Spend more time with him.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Good one .

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Quote:
Man Of Steel: The Christopher Nolan Cut.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Quote:
Well, I have never seen that version,
but I never got the feeling that he killed them.
I just figured it was a very hard landing ,LOL.
Hehe, that too.

In fact I think I've got a blu-ray of the Donner cut lying around and I've seen the rough landing version too. I probably just assumed they hit some ice.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
And everyone that saw them thrown into the pit knew that there was an overseas cut where it ended differently going in?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

On the Zod resolution those saying Superman shouldn't have been put into tha situation. Well this was a grounded comic book movie so end of the day its fair to assume in Superman's line of work that this situation would occur at least once. So I don't see a problem that they put him in tha situation at all, regardless of how I feel about the outcome.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I have the restored international cut that has that scene plus others in.

Tbh I wish there was an ultimate cut with the best bits of both Donners and Lesters but unfortunatly that will never happen. I really wish that selutron had gotten to do his cut he said he had done something different for the ending and did anyone see the samples he put up? When Zod and co attacked the White House? Man I'd love to see this version.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Well yeah obviously a score in the 50s is by definition a non- consensus for recommending the film, at that point the reception is not just mixed but divided.
By school grades though, like so many people tend to treat the percentage, 50% is an outright failure. That is not a helpful way of looking at the score.
I’ve never really paid much attention to RT’s method of calculation. Now, among the “rotten” reviews, many critics gave MOS an unambiguous low score. But there were more than a few who rated it as 6/10 (60%), 3/5 (60%) and 2.5/4 (62.5%). And by RT’s own aggregate criterion, these would count as fresh. Apparently, though, things are weighted differently at the individual level. Some 2.5s out of 4 stars are called “fresh,” others are deemed “rotten” - it depends on the critic. But this seems to take some of the “mathematical objectivity” out of the process. Someone’s careful numerical score can be overridden by a more subjective impression (their “gut feeling”).

Closed Thread