The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #51
Superman Prime

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
What was the resolution in the Donner cut ?
Superman spun the earth backwards. The first film was originally meant to have a different ending, the time rewind only happening at the end of the second.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 86

Pretty much retcons everything like in the first film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #53
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

If you think about it, Reeve's Superman only killed one person...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #54
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Saw the flick a second time around last night. Loved it more the second time. It's still a little too long, but I still loved it.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #55
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Not gonna lie, that scene scared me as a kid.

Quote:
Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Not gonna lie, that scene scared me as a kid.
Me too.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #57
robmx522
Banned User

i have seen this movie everyday since its been out
one of these days i won't have a movie to see

i will prolly see it again tonight because its so awesome!
and i'm so glad superman killed zod
i am so glad johnathon kent told young clark what he did
i wouldn't change anything about this movie
the meaning of this movie is sacrifice

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #58
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I HATED Superman III ,the worst Superman movie ever made.
I will NEVER watch it again.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #59
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmx522 View Post
i have seen this movie everyday since its been out
one of these days i won't have a movie to see

i will prolly see it again tonight because its so awesome!
and i'm so glad superman killed zod
i am so glad johnathon kent told young clark what he did
i wouldn't change anything about this movie
the meaning of this movie is sacrifice
What exactly did Jon Kent teach Clark though? To not help anyone if he could, to continue hiding his powers? I understand how protective he was of his son but he never seemed to consider the help he could do with his powers.

I still really enjoyed all the Kent scenes though, some of my favorites in the movie.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #60
Notrip
SuperDaD

Man of Steel gets better with a second or third viewing. I have seen it 4 times. regular 2d twice, Imax 3d and Imax 2d. I actually liked the Imax 3D the best which surprised me. Man of Steel is a great movie that really grows on you. My wife saw it with me on Fathers Day with my son for the second time and she liked it much better. She actually said she wasn't a fan the first time, but two days went by and she said, "This movie grows on you" as she couldn't stop thinking about it. She gave it 4/5 Sunday. (2/5 on the first viewing)
All my friends that went with me in Imax LOVED it. My friends fiancee LOVED it more than my friend did. I believe this movie will have legs. DCCU is here to stay

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #61
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Superman IV was great because of Nuclear Man. THAT was an epic villain!

Quote:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #62
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

http://www.reviewstl.com/man-of-stee...spoilers-0616/

Thank you, journalist who actually does research.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #63
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Another similarity to Smallville is how someone(s) more-or-less tells/forces Clark to become Superman instead of it just something he decides to do on his own accord.
It depends on how you define "Superman". If its the costume, then yeah, Clark had to pushed there a bit. But I always felt Superman was more about his character, and his decision to help out, which is why I loved how Smallville (sometimes begrudgingly) had it escalate. Clark always knew to use his powers for good, nd would often save people whenever he could, but as the show continued to get bigger, he was slowly realizing that there are other people who need his help. He realized that even though he just wanted a quiet life on the farm, there was a bigger world around him with bigger troubles and his powers made it his responsibility to protect the world.

I always felt, on the show, he was Superman for years, maybe not a complete version, but he had the same foundations and the suit and flight were just the cherry on top.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #64
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Quest for Peace, at least had hilarious moments.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #65
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
What exactly did Jon Kent teach Clark though? To not help anyone if he could, to continue hiding his powers? I understand how protective he was of his son but he never seemed to consider the help he could do with his powers.

I still really enjoyed all the Kent scenes though, some of my favorites in the movie.
Perhaps it was all in consideration of the greater good.

It could perhaps be compared to debunking world religion in one go. Who knows how that my play out.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #66
Superman Prime

Quote:
It was the first Superman film I watched. I was like... five years old, I think. I have a soft spot for it to this day.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #67
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
http://www.reviewstl.com/man-of-stee...spoilers-0616/

Thank you, journalist who actually does research.
Case closed end of story. Great article. Essentially, the entire point of the climax WAS the fate of the planet and Superman did what he had to do.*Bookmarks page*

Quote:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #68
geetard
The Amazon Smile

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Funny how an acid pool is in an odd, unsecured area.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Quest for Peace, at least had hilarious moments.
Yeah , I didnt have a problem with Quest For Peace.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #70
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

The boost from Father's Day has helped MOS to gross $200 million worldwide in its first week. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-steel-569894

Quote:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post

People seem to be too hung up on the Jonanthan Kent stuff. The whole theme of the movie was "Would an alien be accepted by humans" Its something that they continued to hit you on the head with right from the beginning. Lara says he will not be accepted and worries he will be killed. The Kents also worry about what would happen. Perry White refuses to publish the article despite believing it strictly because of the ramifications that such a story could have.

Jonathan's lines throughout the movie suggest the cliche that he knew Clark was meant for bigger things and one day that will be revealed to him, but until then, he needed to try to prevent drawing too much attention to himself and what he can do. That's why Clark went to the priest, because he knew the time was right, but he was still reluctant because he didn't trust humanity enough to feel like they would accept him, and they didn't. The military continued to target him despite him surrendering. By the end of the movie, Superman had to prove that he was a good guy, and even then, the government was still suspicious.

But the whole movie was about trust and acceptance for an alien, and Jonathan was just the one they used to get that point across, to tell Clark that he needs to hold back even though he can basically do anything, because the world wasn't ready.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I loved it because it made sense and he is eventually going to be put in one of these situations.
Exactly and I loved it too

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #73
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
It depends on how you define "Superman". If its the costume, then yeah, Clark had to pushed there a bit. But I always felt Superman was more about his character, and his decision to help out, which is why I loved how Smallville (sometimes begrudgingly) had it escalate. Clark always knew to use his powers for good, nd would often save people whenever he could, but as the show continued to get bigger, he was slowly realizing that there are other people who need his help. He realized that even though he just wanted a quiet life on the farm, there was a bigger world around him with bigger troubles and his powers made it his responsibility to protect the world.

I always felt, on the show, he was Superman for years, maybe not a complete version, but he had the same foundations and the suit and flight were just the cherry on top.
I'm just talking about him coming to the realization that he can use his powers to help without anyone telling him to do it or talk about destiny. I thought Smallville handled it in a pretty crappy way. MOS was similar, but not as bad.

Also, I'm not too much of a fan of a super interactive AI. I liked how STAS did it by just having Jor-El (and Lara) tell him what happened and that they hoped things turned out well for him.

"

Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #74
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
The boost from Father's Day has helped MOS to gross $200 million worldwide in its first week. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-steel-569894
Woo! Made back it's budget in the first week. Pretty incredible. Now let's see if this one has legs!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #75
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Woo! Made back it's budget in the first week. Pretty incredible. Now let's see if this one has legs!
Still have to factor in marketing (which there was an absolute ton of).

However, the money they pulled from product placement definitely helps out tremendously. I don't think there was any real threat to not make their money back.

Closed Thread