The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: Spoilers: The Codex..............What was it in it's originality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
At first I thought the skull belonged to one of Jor-El's ancestors. I believed that there were thousands of them that were used to cultivate DNA to produce babies of the many different bloodlines.

But now I dont really know.
That would have been a awesome route to go....like each Kryptonian house had a Codex that contained that families DNA so they could go to the High Council and request a child but there is only one Codex so that theory is a good one but not valid...sadly, because I like you thought it was a good idea

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #27
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33V3R View Post
I actually think its Supergirl's skull if you read the comics your may remember that Supergirl travels forward in time to help the League and im sure it mentions something about a battle with Doomsday need to brush up on my DC Universe.
Supergirl crash landed on Earth in the Man of Steel prequel comic...it's not her skull

Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

I don't know that Snyder will go for something as heady as a time-loop answer to this question. If it's the skull of the "ultimate Kryptonian", I'm more likely to think that means the Eradicator, especially since it's 'bonded' to Kal-El now (and thus would provide a convenient means of resurrecting him, should that be necessary...)

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Maybe the skull belongs to some kind of descendent of Rao.

charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Maybe it's just something they carved out and bonded the blood of all Kryptonians into it

Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Here's what Zack Snyder said (pretty much word for word) during the MoS Blu-Ray live event recently hosted by Kevin Smith:

Snyder:

"My idea for the codex was that the skull was sort of the first Kryptonian they could identify in their evolution as -- they wouldn't call them homo-sapiens, but whatever the Kryptonian version of homo-sapiens is. They traced their lineage back and they found this skull; and this was the first sort of physical incarnation of what a Kryptonian -- an ideal Kryptonian would be. So, that's sort of the raw material for the DNA: the DNA you see in the codex being extracted from it.

We always imagined that was sort of the raw material, and then each individual -- as the raw material came out, each and every individual sort of -- the little subtle differences, whether you were going to make a warrior or a scientist or whatever they were constructing in the genesis chamber, those things were then changed as the stream came out of that skull. And then I also -- we were saying that the way it was engraved was because
it was a while that skull had been fought over and different factions of -- whether it be religious or scientific had warded over the skull and many people had died; and so some culty monk group had carved the different Kryptonian sayings into the skull.

And then finally when it was wrestled away by whatever factions who created the genesis chamber and the sort of -- the construction of Kryptonian society as we see it now -- they were able to get it to the genesis chamber and start to create. And I would say that there was probably -- in the other genesis chambers across Krypton, there might be a femur or a little chip -- you don't get the whole skull. In the capital there, you're going to have a pretty important piece of that skeleton and maybe in other cities you get smaller ones."

For years I was alone in the echoing dark of that well.
But something else defined the exact moment Batman was born.
The first truth of Batman...
The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

- The Return of Bruce Wayne #6
by Grant Morrison, Lee Garbett, and Pere Perez

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 11-24-2013 at 06:12 PM.
ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #32
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Krypto-Sapiens

Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Krypto-Sapiens
Does that make Superman krypto-sapien superior?

The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
charl_huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Here's what Zack Snyder said (pretty much word for word) during the MoS Blu-Ray live event recently hosted by Kevin Smith:

Snyder:

"My idea for the codex was that the skull was sort of the first Kryptonian they could identify in their evolution as -- they wouldn't call them homo-sapiens, but whatever the Kryptonian version of homo-sapiens is. They traced their lineage back and they found this skull; and this was the first sort of physical incarnation of what a Kryptonian -- an ideal Kryptonian would be. So, that's sort of the raw material for the DNA: the DNA you see in the codex being extracted from it.

We always imagined that was sort of the raw material, and then each individual -- as the raw material came out, each and every individual sort of -- the little subtle differences, whether you were going to make a warrior or a scientist or whatever they were constructing in the genesis chamber, those things were then changed as the stream came out of that skull. And then I also -- we were saying that the way it was engraved was because
it was a while that skull had been fought over and different factions of -- whether it be religious or scientific had warded over the skull and many people had died; and so some culty monk group had carved the different Kryptonian sayings into the skull.

And then finally when it was wrestled away by whatever factions who created the genesis chamber and the sort of -- the construction of Kryptonian society as we see it now -- they were able to get it to the genesis chamber and start to create. And I would say that there was probably -- in the other genesis chambers across Krypton, there might be a femur or a little chip -- you don't get the whole skull. In the capital there, you're going to have a pretty important piece of that skeleton and maybe in other cities you get smaller ones."
Thank you for posting this. It does help clear it up a bit because I found that whole codex thing very confusing. Yet, I wonder why Zod didn't just take another piece of codex? le sigh...not going to beat my brain over this.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Thank you for posting this. It does help clear it up a bit because I found that whole codex thing very confusing. Yet, I wonder why Zod didn't just take another piece of codex? le sigh...not going to beat my brain over this.
NP. Maybe the functionality of the smaller ones is somehow tied to the largest/main skull fragment? ::shrugs::

The saving grace.
I was never alone.
I had help."

Old 11-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #36
charl_huntress

Quote:
NP. Maybe the functionality of the smaller ones is somehow tied to the largest/main skull fragment? ::shrugs::
That does make sense. Jor took the main piece which made all the rest kind of obsolete. Good call...I like the logic of that, so I'm going to stick with it.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

How do they keep everyone on Krypton from being related to one another? Do they simply manipulate their DNA to prevent things like this from happening?

Unless Clark/Kal-El extracts the codex from his body, it will remain in his blood stream & dna forever & possibly never hurt him but it didn't have anything to do with him getting on not getting super powers either way?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #38
charl_huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(o_o)> View Post
How do they keep everyone on Krypton from being related to one another? Do they simply manipulate their DNA to prevent things like this from happening?
hmmm...that's a damn good question.

Quote:
Unless Clark/Kal-El extracts the codex from his body, it will remain in his blood stream & dna forever & possibly never hurt him but it didn't have anything to do with him getting on not getting super powers either way?
What I'd like to find out is what importance does having all those codex imprints bear on Kal? Does this FINALLY mean he can procreate naturally with human???????

I hope so..... I think the aligning of Kryptonian and Human DNA is the end result of everything Jor-El planned....but that's just me.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:

Technical everyone person on earth is related to each other. I think they use the DNA from that skull as the base template and make changes based upon what trait they want the new born to have. Plus it still wouldn't matter if everyone was closely related because no one on Krypton as sex except for Jor-El and Lara.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-24-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #40
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
hmmm...that's a damn good question.

What I'd like to find out is what importance does having all those codex imprints bear on Kal? Does this FINALLY mean he can procreate naturally with human???????

I hope so..... I think the aligning of Kryptonian and Human DNA is the end result of everything Jor-El planned....but that's just me.
Clark would simply murder a normal human woman just with his super discharge alone unless they somehow recreated the same Kryptonian atmospheric conditions aboard Zod's ship that temporarily took away his powers maybe then he would be able to have sex/procreate like a normal human with a woman/Lois.

When all else fails, there will still be Kara (when & if he finds her) for him to procreate with, but would they really go there? Unless Kryptonians are seemingly immortal on Krypton & not many offspring are genetically engineered for each family bloodline then it would be kind of bad for him to hook up with his cousin if they are closely related but since Kara is supposed to be thousands of years older than Kal-El according to the pre-quel comic then you've got to stop counting them as family at some point so it wouldn't be so bad for them to hook up. Chances are they may never cover his procreation plans in the movies again only in passing conversation if any.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #41
charl_huntress

Don't start that man of steel, woman of tissue stuff. Synder said Supes wasn't a virgin...lol

I know most fans don't want this, but I want it....I just do!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #42
smallville fan
Hero

I think the Codex is sort of analogous to the Orb from Smallville:

Meaning, that somewhere down the line we might see New Krypton?

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
charl_huntress

WOW...I hadn't really thought about that. THAT is very interesting.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #44
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Snyder's comments at the Yahoo Q&A thing were just a reminder to me that in the end, this is ALL just made up BS and we should try not to get too hung up on a superhero franchise having some kind of absolute consistent internal logic. Snyder himself was all "this is what I think NOW. I could change my mind next week about what the Codex is." Either way, at least he fused the film's protagonist and macguffin into one and made you engaged with the story, unlike some films that fuse the macguffin with the protagonist's love interest, there by taking away even more character development for said love interest in favor of "fainting". *cough*Thor: The Dark World*cough*

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Does that make Superman krypto-sapien superior?
ummmm....I don't know!