The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: "S" plastic shield vs broken neck.
"S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies. 7 6.93%
Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives. 94 93.07%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #101
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
To preface, I was okay with how the confrontation with Zod ended in MoS. Granted, I didn't grow up reading the comics (only watching the Reeve films and maybe bits and pieces of one of the animated series) - so maybe that makes my opinion less valid in some eyes, but whatever.

I wanted to throw something out there (and my apologies if I'm bringing up a theory that's already been discussed, I largely stayed away from the boards until I saw the movie last Saturday and a lot of the threads move so quickly it's hard to keep up). This has been percolating in my head since I saw the movie - and I hope this a good place to put this (and that it makes sense)

I know this idea might make the ending even more controversial than it already is but I'm wondering if Superman's scream of anguish after killing Zod wasn't necessarily because he killed Zod (because he killed the last of his people) - but because in order to stop Zod, he had to sacrifice that one family to save the rest of the planet? If I remember correctly Zod's gaze is (as he and Superman are looking at the family) moving to the right to try and get to the family with his heat vision. Superman is struggling against him trying to force his head left. In order to snap his neck, he twists Zod's head to the RIGHT which would take the heat vision right through where that family is/was - add to that that we don't see any hint of the family after. If this is the case, to me, this would, perhaps, only solidify his desire to have a no kill rule?

I don't know... agree, disagree, other thoughts? Was I the only one that thought this was a possibility of what happened? Like I said, I fully acknowledge that I probably need to see the movie again (oh the torture )
He saved the family by killing Zod, then he screamed. I think it was at least meant to be both...the horror of having to take a life, accentuated by the tragedy of the end of his race. The senselessness of it all.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #102
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I think it was at least meant to be both...the horror of having to take a life, accentuated by the tragedy of the end of his race. The senselessness of it all.
I'm not sure its accentuated because of the end of his race. There are still those Kryptonians that got sucked into the PZ.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #103
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
He saved the family by killing Zod, then he screamed. I think it was at least meant to be both...the horror of having to take a life, accentuated by the tragedy of the end of his race. The senselessness of it all.
Honestly, I never got one shred of the "he was upset because he killed" vibe.

The only thing that popped in my head was he was greatly upset from having to purposely end the life of the last connection he had to his home planet.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 06-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #104
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I'm not sure its accentuated because of the end of his race. There are still those Kryptonians that got sucked into the PZ.
For all intents and purposes it is. It's tragic that there could have been a chance at rebirth for Kryptonians, but now that's gone because of them basically killing eachother.

It's like at the end of Bridge Over River Kwai, when the doctor as the only survivor left looks over all the carnage, and simply exclaims "...madness....!"

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 06-19-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #105
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

The only thing that popped in my head was he was greatly upset from having to purposely end the life of the last connection he had to his home planet.
I can see why that'd be, and as I said I think it was intended...but because of the way it happened or what have you, it maybe didn't 'represent' enough as it was portrayed.

I thought they could have done more with the actual scene to do that.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #106
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
To preface, I was okay with how the confrontation with Zod ended in MoS. Granted, I didn't grow up reading the comics (only watching the Reeve films and maybe bits and pieces of one of the animated series) - so maybe that makes my opinion less valid in some eyes, but whatever.

I wanted to throw something out there (and my apologies if I'm bringing up a theory that's already been discussed, I largely stayed away from the boards until I saw the movie last Saturday and a lot of the threads move so quickly it's hard to keep up). This has been percolating in my head since I saw the movie - and I hope this a good place to put this (and that it makes sense)

I know this idea might make the ending even more controversial than it already is but I'm wondering if Superman's scream of anguish after killing Zod wasn't necessarily because he killed Zod (because he killed the last of his people) - but because in order to stop Zod, he had to sacrifice that one family to save the rest of the planet? If I remember correctly Zod's gaze is (as he and Superman are looking at the family) moving to the right to try and get to the family with his heat vision. Superman is struggling against him trying to force his head left. In order to snap his neck, he twists Zod's head to the RIGHT which would take the heat vision right through where that family is/was - add to that that we don't see any hint of the family after. If this is the case, to me, this would, perhaps, only solidify his desire to have a no kill rule?

I don't know... agree, disagree, other thoughts? Was I the only one that thought this was a possibility of what happened? Like I said, I fully acknowledge that I probably need to see the movie again (oh the torture )
If Snyder/Goyer had superman directly kill a family these boards would have to be put on suicide watch.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #107
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

How do we know he wasn't anguishing over that Ihop destroyed in smallville? I mean that was his home town and he might have frequented it alot.

...reaching is what I'm getting at.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #108
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
How do we know he wasn't anguishing over that Ihop destroyed in smallville? I mean that was his home town and he might have frequented it alot.

All that boysenberry syrup....gone to waste.....<sniff>....

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #109
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:

Did we get a scene of him dropping to his knees and screaming out in agony while in Smallville?

Reaching is what you're doing alright.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #110
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Did we get a scene of him dropping to his knees and screaming out in agony while in Smallville?

Maybe it only hit him later.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #111
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:

Haha, but who knows, maybe Superman wasn't just anguishing over killing someone but of the toll the destruction of the fights caused. It was obviously the first time he had been through something like that. Seemed pretty stressful.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #112
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

He was chafing. And if Superman can feel it, you know it's gotta hurt.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #113
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

I can only assume you know that I was joking.
How could you assume him crying of over killing another kryptonian is more logical than him crying over taking his first life(mind you the producers have explained with is the right assumption, but I'm pretty curious to know)?

JorEl did tell him he carries all the future kryptonians with him right?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #114
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

They should have paralleled Superman kneeling and crying over the fallen Zod...with Pete Ross kneeling and crying over the fallen IHOP. then split screen as they both arch up and scream "Noooooooo....!!"

Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #115
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
They should have paralleled Superman kneeling and crying over the fallen Zod...with Pete Ross kneeling and crying over the fallen IHOP. then split screen as they both arch up and scream "Noooooooo....!!"
Then Pete flies off into space for no reason. Never to be seen again.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #116
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Then Pete flies off into space for no reason. Never to be seen again.
No, he's the next villain in the sequel. He was all lined up for assistant manager, but then this disaster stole that opportunity from him.....all because of that damn Superman.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #117
Marvin
Side-Kick

It was all clarks fault too.
Ross shaves his head and calls himself Luthor.
Smallville season 11.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #118
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

"All I wanted....was to be a pancake house manager......was that too much to ask? And then you TOOK it from me...!!"

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #119
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
If Snyder/Goyer had superman directly kill a family these boards would have to be put on suicide watch.
And what would they say?
"He should have killed Zod!"

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #120
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
And what would they say?
"He should have killed Zod!"
spin the world backwards, do that and everyone walks away happy.
Critics especially.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #121
Hal_Jordan
Banned User

Forget killing Zod. Superman used metropolis as a weapon toppling buildings, and killing thousands. Normally Superman would stop what he was doing to save a cat in a tree. Here he destroys a huge city with no regard for it's citizens.

And if you want to try to play the "they evacuated" card, try again. There's no way they could evacuate a major city in 20 minutes, and seeing as how the Daily Planet crew were all still there, they weren't the only ones.

Hal_Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #122
Ozymandias
The World's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_Jordan View Post
Forget killing Zod. Superman used metropolis as a weapon toppling buildings, and killing thousands. Normally Superman would stop what he was doing to save a cat in a tree. Here he destroys a huge city with no regard for it's citizens.

And if you want to try to play the "they evacuated" card, try again. There's no way they could evacuate a major city in 20 minutes, and seeing as how the Daily Planet crew were all still there, they weren't the only ones.
I've seen the movie four times. 90% of the throwing through buildings is caused by Zod kicking Superman's #$$. And even if it wasn't, what was Superman supposed to do? There's no Kryptonite. There's no alternative method to strip a fellow Krytponian of his powers, and sucking Zod back into the Phantom Zone is no longer an option.

Zod clearly states he's going to kill everyone and that the only way their battle ends if he or Clark dies. Superman does what he can to not get himself killed and the rest of humanity should he fall. Also, the entirety of Metropolis is far from being destroyed. He didn't demolish a whole city.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #123
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_Jordan View Post

This is ******** and you know it, right? Superman did not cause one single building to fall over. That was all Zods doing, even when he uses Supes body to do it. And for those who still say "Superman should've saved the people in the buildings"... Well... the way Zod attacked him, every second he would've wasted with something other than attacking head on, more people would've died. Hehad no other choice! Same with the kill!
Hell... its like TDKR all over again, with people getting mighty creative to find stuff to hate about the film.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #124
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

He definitely did cause a couple of buildings desdtruction when he destroyed the scout ship...

Tbh, that's the only bit of destruction that made me go 'Realy!?'

And that was mainly because we actually see it flying OVER a river, that might have been a good direction for Supes to direct towards for minimal casualties (though it might have looked a bit STID ).

But he doesn't direct it at all. As though Superman doesn't have the power to fly out of the ship and do that.

But maybe that's a product of them making him so de powered. When he destroyed the ship, maybe he was helpess to stop what happened next.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #125
Liam_H
Side-Kick

You know its not that hard to write into the script that showed Superman with a bit more concern with the destruction going when people are still in danger. It so easy to show even glance at the destruction or even a quick save.

And during the battle did Superman even once try to convince Zod to stop before the neck snap? All he really said was "you're a monster, I'm going to stop you". And that's it, no "this fight is pointless" or "please stop" etc.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote