The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: What will the biased/non-biased criticism BvS receives?
All criticism will be based strictly on the quality of the films own merits. 5 20.00%
Some will be turned off by the lack of Nolan's aesthetic 13 52.00%
All critiques will be biased and not give the film a chance. 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Default How strong will the critical backlash be against this film compared to Nolan's films?

When Batman Begins came out, the critical praise was very strong and still is today. However, there was a percentage of the critics who felt the film wasn't great.

Not necessarily due to any fault of the film itself (granted, some critics did feel that way), but due to the fact that it didn't have the same aesthetics as Burton's films.

It was inevitable, given that this was establishing a different continuity with a different style, but it does seem like there was a bit of bias against the new installment.

Now, with BvS coming out 2 years from now, how much of the critical derision do you feel will be due to it not matching Nolan's canon?

I say that just like Begins, the negative reviews will be mixed b/w biased/non-biased.

Last edited by Squaremaster316; 09-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Default Re: How strong will the critical backlash be against this film compared to Nolan's fi

The fandom wank is already insane. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be in 2 years.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: How strong will the critical backlash be against this film compared to Nolan's fi

Surely the only reasonable answer here is the middle one? That some will like it and some won't? Saying everyone or no one will be turned off by the lack of a Nolan aesthetic is too absolutist either way.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
the last son
Side-Kick

Listen, I love Batman and enjoyed the Nolan series, it's my favorite trilogy, but I'm not one of these people who have to sit around waiting for it to sink in. I believe in the show must go on. I wanted Ledger recast for TDKR and I want a new Batman movie as soon as we can get them as long as there is a story to tell. I don't need to wait 5 years. I've only got so many years to live and I want as many Batman movies as possible. This movie will be critiqued on its own merits. Why these movies are critiqued more than Marvel movies? I don't know or care, but it is what it is.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

It's way too early to really determine how people will react, but, as always people will judge it based on their biases, whether or not the overall result will be positive or negative is yet to be seen.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

There are going to be people who suddenly act like the Nolan series are the best films ever made or people who suddenly act like the Nolan films are hideous abortions that got everything wrong.

Basically the wasteland that the spidey forums became because people still lack the maturity to like more than one thing at a time.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
There are going to be people who suddenly act like the Nolan series are the best films ever made or people who suddenly act like the Nolan films are hideous abortions that got everything wrong.

Basically the wasteland that the spidey forums became because people still lack the maturity to like more than one thing at a time.
This. While I think it's too early to really tell, this is how I see the response being. Maybe not on here, but just generally.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:

I already have good training, as I'm able to enjoy and appreciate both the Burton and Nolan Batman films.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I just think at all the "HOW DARE SOMEONE REPLACE BALE!" backlash. As if Bale would want to be tied down to an insecure DC property, rather than making the movies he wants to make. If anything, Bale pretty much quit. He wasn't fired.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I wouldn't even say Bale quit. He fulfilled the 3-film commitment he has always said he'd be staying on for, then moved on once the job was done.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Good point

I wasn't meaning that in a mean-spirited way. Just that he's done as Batman.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

I believe saying he retired from the role would be accurate.

KillerMcQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
D.P.
Banned User

Lots of *****ing about what Snyder/Goyer did wrong even if what they did right eclipsed it.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Well, if the movie is good, there will be little to none. If not, then the comparisons will come flying in at about a mile a minute, and we will in turn see indignant, haughty fans get up in arms about the film being unfairly compared and contrasted to something superior to it. Still happening with MoS, and it will happen again if the sequel falls short of expectations. Unfavorable comparisons happen to things that are disappointing; it's par for the course, but a lot of folks can't seem to grasp that.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Given the critical response from MoS, I'd say there's a good chance this will get trashed hard, but will most likely be a huge mixed bag.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Given the critical response from MoS, I'd say there's a good chance this will get trashed hard, but will most likely be a huge mixed bag.
On the other hand, I think there might be a critical "boost" from the lowered expectations from critics, who will give it higher ratings than usual if it's a consistently good movie. I still think Skyfall would have SLIGHTLY lower ratings if not for the somewhat negative reception of QoS (which still got positive ratings at RT).

Old 09-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #17
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The fandom wank is already insane. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be in 2 years.
Quote:

^These.

The moment the world knew Affleck was Batman for many people was the realization that the Nolan Bat Trilogy would never continue and the GA reception is just too much for anyone to comprehend. I was scolded by friends who would be GA for having feelings summed up in these songs.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

If the backlash is that bad, imagine 2 years from now when people and critics start looking at the Nolan Bat Trilogy with nostalgic rose-tinted glasses. MoS had a bit of that as people still look at all 4 of the Donner films+Stalkerman the movie with fond nostalgia.

Affleck would continue to be compared to Christian Bale for many years to come, even when the new Batman solo movie arrives which I imagine would be approximately 10 years or more since TDK.

Poor guy.

Sometimes I wish GA/Nolanites/Bale Fanboys & Fangirls/Critics could get a wake-up call that the character is bigger than the actor and has a right to be as everlasting as James Bond.

Last edited by smallville fan; 09-09-2013 at 04:11 AM.
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #18
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

There is some backlash when ever there is a new take on superhero characters and especially after a very successful series of superhero films.

There was Backlash from some people over Man Of Steel because its not the Donner version, there was backlash against Amazing Spider-Man as its not the Raimi version, ect

Its always going to happen but I don't think it matters. You can't change the opinion of people who are unwilling to be open to different takes on characters.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
dnno1
Side-Kick

It has already been floated out there by some critics that the Snyder/Goyer team shouldn't be involved with this film and of course Ben Affleck's Batman will be compared to the Nolan/Bale version of the character. There will be bias from the critics.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Xak-Ell
Side-Kick

i feel as if people who don't read comics will not enjoy this film. thats why i'm sure they gave MoS a lower rating than SR and hail spider-man 2 as the greatest spider-man movie ever

Xak-Ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xak-Ell View Post
i feel as if people who don't read comics will not enjoy this film. thats why i'm sure they gave MoS a lower rating than SR and hail spider-man 2 as the greatest spider-man movie ever
Yes that is true. It's quite disheartening to see that a GA's opinion and preferences, who probably knows next to nothing have more weighting than a fan's. Whatever happened to "Expert Opinion"?

And it's not just restricted to this film too. General audiences clearly wanted the Iron Man movies to be more "funny" with RDJ churning up one liners every 5 seconds(as seen in Iron Man 3) and now we have a little too much comedy and I don't really think I need to repeat every fan's opinion of that movie. For Star Wars, my greatest fear is that Abrams & Co. will pander too much to people who only know the 6 movies over the fans who kept this franchise alive and kicking for decades.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

The prequels have fans?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
The prequels have fans?
Expanded Universe fans.

Although to be fair, I have met people who do in fact think The Phantom Menace isn't that bad.(Yes they do exist)

Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think the critics will have some of their reviews written before even watching the film, which isn't fair. I just see it happening. MOS is now famous for being hated by the critics but the general public seemed to love it. The fans were split. Some loved it, some hated it, some liked it but had problems with the pacing, etc.

This will lead into Batman vs Superman.

Critics will probably knock it for the same reasons as MOS. Ill predict it now that it will get slightly better ratings than MOS due to no alien invasion/fights where buildings are totaled along with innocent civilians getting killed. They'll say batman saved this movie from being a worse disaster than MOS. BUT like I said it will still get a lower rating than a lot of the recent comic book movies. Probably due to a hidden agenda. You know..not liking Affleck as much as Bale (even if his Batman is badass)....not liking Snyder's pacing or too much action blah blah.

Im sure once Affleck directs his own solo film, it will be the opposite. They'll be praising the movie. But for this, it's a whole different story. It's all because of Goyer and Snyder's reputation.

The general audience? I think you'll get some nitpicks from people who refuse to accept Affleck. Maybe they genuinely wont like his Bruce Wayne "he's not Bruce, it's just Affleck being...well...Affleck". But I truly believe that the majority of the GA will like the movie more than MOS and be quite surprised with Ben's performance. I think Batman will be the coolest we've ever seen him visually and that will be enough to win over the GA. That's my prediction.

It will make more money, some better reviews and the hardcore Bat-fans will think it's the closest thing to the source material they've ever seen. But the true lovers of filmmaking and/or Nolan's trilogy will pick on it for being more of a popcorn CG driven 3D Batman (/Superman) movie in comparison. They'll say it's not as well written or directed. But still an enjoyable summer blockbuster.

Either way the lovers and haters will still want to see more of what Affleck has to offer. It will get a sequel and WB wins no matter what the critics say.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
MOS is now famous for being hated by the critics
really? I always thought the consensus was 'divided' or 'polarizing'.

Same average rating as Incredible Hulk on RT (6.2) despite a lower tomatometer (57% vs 67%), a movie that people cite as one of the many examples of MCU 'brilliance'.

It says that for these Marvel films, most critics more or less thought the same way: they're average to good. For MOS, it was more divided. Some loved it, some hated it.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 09-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote