The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Default Re: The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches - Part 3

The Green Lantern titles were fresh starts at all. Nor was Batman Incorporated.

Most everything else can be read starting from from the New 52 though.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Jordacar
The Endless One

Default Re: The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches - Part 3

I have a number of questions surrounding Wonder Woman's flight ability. Can she fly now? When could she fly before? How fast? Could other Amazons fly too? If not, what made WW special in this regard?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #28
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
I have a number of questions surrounding Wonder Woman's flight ability. Can she fly now? When could she fly before? How fast? Could other Amazons fly too? If not, what made WW special in this regard?
Yes.

She's been able to fly for most of her publication history. Since the late 50s I believe.

About as fast as Superman. They've never raced, though.

No.

At birth she was blessed with preternatural abilities by the Gods of Mt. Olympus to serve as their champion in the mortal world, to defend the innocent, oppose the wicked, battle the forces of supernatural evil, and preach peace and tolerance to all the peoples of the world. Hermes granted her speed and the power of flight. Her other blessings were strength from Demeter, Wisdom from Athena, keen senses and a spiritual kinship with animals from Artemis, and sisterhood with fire (presumably meaning she can't be hurt by fire) and the ability to discern the truth from Hestia. This did not happen to any other Amazons.

EDIT: My fourth answer was incorrect. Donna Troy, her sidekick and sister, who is an Amazon, can fly. Her backstory is kind of a mess though so I won't go into it. Other than her no other "official" Amazons can fly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 07-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
WolfCypher
I wanna pack of wolves!

Before the New 52 crap, Lois Lane knew Batman's secret identity. How? Was it something her husband choose to share with her? Did she figure it out?

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Before the New 52 crap, Lois Lane knew Batman's secret identity. How? Was it something her husband choose to share with her? Did she figure it out?
I don't think there was ever a story about it, I think it was just implied that Clark told her.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
WolfCypher
I wanna pack of wolves!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/78f253a4d...g95o1_1280.jpg

Not sure if this is official or fan-made, but...

• Barbara has a chip implanted in her brain to be able to walk.
  • Bruce Wayne trusts (Commissioner) Gordon with his secret.
The hell did any of this happen? If its even real...

Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post

http://24.media.tumblr.com/78f253a4d...g95o1_1280.jpg

Not sure if this is official or fan-made, but...

• Barbara has a chip implanted in her brain to be able to walk.
  • Bruce Wayne trusts (Commissioner) Gordon with his secret.
The hell did any of this happen? If its even real...
The Barbara thing I believe is real.

As for the Commissioner, it's been heavily implied and generally accepted by most writers and fans since around 1986 that Gordon figured out Bruce Wayne was Batman within six months of Batman's first public sighting, but he keeps quiet about it because they're friends and Batman is actually good at what he does. I don't know if there's ever been a story where Batman outright told him, though.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

He tried in No Man's Land, but Gordon refused to look when Batman took his mask off.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #34
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

Who is the richest man in the DCU? Bruce? Lex? Some other dude?

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
Anubis
Sup?

Lex

He's waaaay smarter too.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #36
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Tell that to Grant Morrison and his Bat God.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #37
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

So who are the five smartest. Lex, Mr Terrific, Emil Hamilton I'd guess, who else? Ray Palmer?

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
The Question

Intelligence really isn't something you can rank like that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Logically, it's not, but it's not stopped Marvel from doing so several times. I don't think they've done so in the DCU, at least not recently, but I'm sure those names tossed out would be on the list somewhere or another

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #40
Anubis
Sup?

Except Emil Hamilton. He's smart, not that smart.

With DC, with the exception of Lex, most everybody tends to specialize. You want robots? You call Doc Magnus. You want physics and microbiology? You call Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi. You want Fringe Super Science? You call Niles Caulder.

H.E.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #41
WolfCypher
I wanna pack of wolves!

It SHOULD be Lex. I just find it poetic that if Superman is generally accepted as potentially the most powerful being in the DCU, then Lex should be the most intelligent.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #42
Anubis
Sup?

Well, most Intelligent Human.

H.E.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Yes.

She's been able to fly for most of her publication history. Since the late 50s I believe.

About as fast as Superman. They've never raced, though.

No.

At birth she was blessed with preternatural abilities by the Gods of Mt. Olympus to serve as their champion in the mortal world, to defend the innocent, oppose the wicked, battle the forces of supernatural evil, and preach peace and tolerance to all the peoples of the world. Hermes granted her speed and the power of flight. Her other blessings were strength from Demeter, Wisdom from Athena, keen senses and a spiritual kinship with animals from Artemis, and sisterhood with fire (presumably meaning she can't be hurt by fire) and the ability to discern the truth from Hestia. This did not happen to any other Amazons.

EDIT: My fourth answer was incorrect. Donna Troy, her sidekick and sister, who is an Amazon, can fly. Her backstory is kind of a mess though so I won't go into it. Other than her no other "official" Amazons can fly.
So let me get this straight: Diana is exceptional even among the Amazons, but she still had to win the contest to earn the right to travel to man's world?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #44
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
So let me get this straight: Diana is exceptional even among the Amazons, but she still had to win the contest to earn the right to travel to man's world?
Yes. Her mother didn't want her to go, because even though her daughter is a demi-god she's still a mother and she's over protective. Especially so since, Themyscera being an island of all women, it took a literal miracle from the heavens for Diana to be born. So Diana had to prove we was capable by winning the contest and earning the right to be their ambassador by the laws of their land.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

It depends on the era we're talking about it. In The Golden Age, it was never entirely clear where the Amazons stacked up to Diana. They all had the Amazon training that was referenced as Diana's source of power, though I don't think we often saw them doing the kind of stuff she did. She was always top tier, though, with certain special abilities unique to her (such as the ability to speak to animals). Later they introduced the idea that the Amazons had crafted some kind of vague mental ability that could augment their physical strength, and Diana was a master of this technique. Though, in theory, any Amazon could do this, or any person I guess.

Silver Age and Perez was like Question said, though I can't recall if she always had powers in both. I seem to remember they were specifically and permanently bestowed upon winning the contest, maybe in the SA origin. I'd have to go back to be sure.

As far as post-New 52, we have no clue. We know Wonder Woman's strength and abilities primarily from Johns' Justice League. Azz's run has been very vague about what her abilities are, and the Amazons were only feature briefly before being written out. The only special power Azz has shown is that Wonder Woman can remove her bracelets and go into this...super mode, I guess you'd call it. If that's unique to her, though, we don't know. Despite being about 2 years into the reboot, we really know basically nothing about WW's corner of the DCU.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #46
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

There are also periods in WW history where her powers didnt work while on Themyscira.

Where is the best place to start for someone who wants to get into Doom Patrol?

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Old 07-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #47
Anubis
Sup?

They've been up and down over the years. Just read the best stuff, that would be Morrison's run on Doom Patrol.

H.E.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #48
KevanG
Brony

Is Felix Faust just a p**** to everyone he fights? He seems to have been taken down by nearly everyone and last time before the reboot he got castrated by Isis. When's the last time he did something huge and awesome by himself?

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
Anubis
Sup?

...The 50's?

H.E.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #50
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I was a casual DC fan pre-52, but I never heard of him until Justice League Dark.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote