The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

After the garbage that was TDKR and POS? no way. whatever incredible undeniable talent he had, it is gone now

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_hythlodeus View Post
after the garbage that was tdkr and pos? No way. Whatever incredible undeniable talent he had, it is gone now

lol wow

Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

I love how so many people here voice there opinions as facts as if everyone feels the way they do.

I'm a DC fan over Marvel 100% but I still enjoy most Marvel films as well. but oh well.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

I could tolerate the Daredevil and Punisher ideas. Though I don't like the Batman movies that much, he does seem right for those characters. ...otherwise no thanks. I'm not sure he is a comic fan. The whole "transcend the genre" stuff never sat well with me. The genre does not need to be transcended. There is nothing to be ashamed about.

If he can help WB make a good Flash movie, I would rather he stay there. I dunno...he didn't help them make a good Superman movie.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

I could definitely envision Jonathan Nolan writing (possibly directing) for characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, etc, but I think C. Nolan is done directing these kinds of films.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #31
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
After the garbage that was TDKR and POS? no way. whatever incredible undeniable talent he had, it is gone now
This is the kind of thing a N****ite would say. I had my issues with TDKR, but everything you just wrote is utter "garbage", to use your term. Idiocy in fact.

on-topic: I think Nolan could probably do something interesting with the less fantastical Marvel properties. Fraction's Hawkeye could work. Miller or Brubaker era Daredevil maybe. He wouldnt be my first choice, but I certainly would be interested in his take. The dude is a technical genius, so with the right (non-Goyer) script and cast, why the hell not?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 06-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Yeah really, TDKR is a terrific film. Can't say much for MOS since I haven't seen it.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Itd have to be a character that doesnt require interesting fight scenes.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Throw Man of Steel in there and see what Nolan's tomahto-meter says.
Throw in a film where he only produced?

Quote:
Who said anything about Bane? I was thinking of the very dreadful POS MOS when I posted that.
Quote:
In the third Superman film they can bring on Doomsday and have him beat Supes to death. Surely Nolan would take great pleasure in that.
What you said sounded like you were referring to a villain being in a third installment beating up on the hero.

Now I surely don't know what you even me...is that supposed to sound negative? Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
R'as al-Ghul is really a Frenchman named Henri Ducard and was played by a Tibetan decoy in the comics?
Is it as worse or even comes close to two villains being the same, one of them being Iron Man's greatest villain?

Not at all. We still have Ducard training Bruce Wayne while we believe someone else is Ra's al Ghul.

In IM3's case, not only does The Mandarin only become a caricature, another villain of the comics becomes the real Mandarin, while also destroying the established canon of the Ten Rings.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #35
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post

Is it as worse or even comes close to two villains being the same, one of them being Iron Man's greatest villain?

Not at all. We still have Ducard training Bruce Wayne while we believe someone else is Ra's al Ghul.

In IM3's case, not only does The Mandarin only become a caricature, another villain of the comics becomes the real Mandarin, while also destroying the established canon of the Ten Rings.

The "Ten Rings" weren't canon in the comics. And what "established canon" did The Mandarin Twist destroy, exactly? The Twist still works in the context of everything that has been established in the MCU. Mandarin -- aka Aldrich Killian -- was still a great villain in IM3. He just happened to need a decoy, just like R'as did in BB.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Thing is, we don't ***** about R'as because we understand why Nolan did it. Same with Batman 89, for what they were doing, it worked and it was fairly accurate.

We are not bothered by such changes. Majik1387 said that Marvel's movies stick closer to the comics than DC's and Anno Domini brought up The Mandarin twist when he should have said that so far we only get accurate, or relatively accurate movies.

Nolan's Batman was inspired by many different storylines and i don't see any problem with Green Lantern's origin. Everything was there. Bad movie, yes but accurate nontheless.

And unlike Marvel characters who most of them have only 1 definitive origin (usually just an issue of comic boom material) DC characters have A LOT of them. Year One, Zero Year, Golden Age, Silver Age.....a billion different takes by different writers. Re-inventions, re-imaginings, re-boots....stuff that set the adaptation difficulty meter very very high.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
Lord
All Mighty

Green Lantern would have been way better had they sticked closer to Secret Origin, and don't tell me it was na almost panel-by-panel adaptation, because it wasn't, Secret Origin was about Hal Jordan wanting to follow his dreams but not being allowed to, he didn't lead his co-workers to get fired and had na interesting relationship with Sinestro, one of the best things of that comic was them starting to work together.

If anything you can spot Emerald Dawn's influence on the script, makes sence since their earlier drafts took from that miniseries

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I typed out a long response and then for some reason my window closed.

Cliff note version;

I specifically said "not carbon copies" because I knew Mandarin would be referenced.
I didn't mind Ra's and Ducard being combined honestly, it was one of the few changes Nolan didn't bother me with.
In Iron Man 3, Killian and Mandarin are the same, and I'm fine with that as well; I was annoyed with the reveal yes, however it's not like they made it so the Mandarin didn't exist. Killian is Mandarin and he projected an image for what he wanted Mandarin to be to the rest of the world.
I won't touch the last five minutes of IM3 though.

Marvel movies all feel like I'm watching the comics brought to life; the same can't be said about Nolan's Batman movies. He just strayed too far from the characters for me.

Also, I didn't respond for a bit because I saw MoS referenced and I wanted to steer clear of spoilers.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #39
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Trying to get Nolan as a director would be a waste of time, because its highly unlikely he'd be willing to set his movie properly in the MCU. That part is non-negotiable.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #40
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

I wouldn't watch if that were the case.

The Prestige and Inception are two of my favorite films of all time ..... but he bores me to tears with his take on superheroes. It's just not my cup of tea how he's handled the genre(Batman) or given input to it(MoS). Batman Begins was the only one I could actually tolerate. The rest were bloated.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #41
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Trying to get Nolan as a director would be a waste of time, because its highly unlikely he'd be willing to set his movie properly in the MCU. That part is non-negotiable.
Glad someone finally pointed this out.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The "Ten Rings" weren't canon in the comics. And what "established canon" did The Mandarin Twist destroy, exactly? The Twist still works in the context of everything that has been established in the MCU. Mandarin -- aka Aldrich Killian -- was still a great villain in IM3. He just happened to need a decoy, just like R'as did in BB.
The established canon of the Ten Rings FOR MCU

That is what I'm referring to and IM3 just retcons what the first film established with the terrorist organization.

I suppose I should have worded it differently, my bad. But, that is what I am referring to.

But no, Aldrich Killian being the Mandarin was NOT a great villain in IM3. And it just took me out of enjoying the rest of the film as well. Ben Kingsley being the true Mandarin...now that would have been great and marvelous, but instead we get another suit and tie businessman as the villain as well as "Americanizing" The Mandarin and making some cheap caricature for threat promos.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #43
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

But he wasn't just some suit and tie villain.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Anno_Domini
Banned User

All that was different was powers instead of a suit, ala Obadiah.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #45
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
All that was different was powers instead of a suit, ala Obadiah.
That's a damn big difference.
Obie and Justin were just corporate raiders. Aldrich Killian was a scientist with superpowers, creating an army of super-powered hirelings, and offering superpowers to wounded veterans. And Killian was trying to recruit Tony Stark and Pepper to his cause, not just blandly trying to kill him or steal his stuff, like previous villains.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #46
DarkSentinel
Always DS

This thread's existence is full of heresy. I demand it's annihilation!!

Carry on

We can't swear on this site. But we can cuss.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So cuss you! I'll cuss you the cuss up you cussing mothercusser! CUSS YOU!!!

*T*
Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #47
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Not a big difference if you ask me, haha. They were businessmen from the jump, but using different ways of being the villain of the story.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

In the scriptbook for the TDKR trilogy, he made it clear he did not care for the Marvel characters, which is perfect. His aesthetic would not complement the Marvel Universe, at either Fox, Sony, or Marvel Studios. Atop of the dislike of the company, he has made it clear that he does not want to continue with the superhero genre - so, why force a man to create something he has no interest in (aside from the obvious unwritten incentive.) Besides, I do not want the Nolan trolls (haters and lovers) to take over the Marvel boards; they are a safe harbor on this website.

As for the other personnel connected with Nolan, I could see his brother taking a (successful) stab at the street-level characters. I sure as **** do not want Goyer at Marvel. *Shivers*

Oh, and I almost forgot Hans: he would be a terrific composter. Aside from Silvestri, the MCU films have been lacking a good score: they need their equivalent of "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" or "Molossus."

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Nolan should stick to WB films. In the third Superman film they can bring on Doomsday and have him beat Supes to death. Surely Nolan would take great pleasure in that.
If it tells a good story, sure. I would rather Nolan stick as a producer for DC, as far as comic movies go. His storytelling skills with Snyder's eye for action = Brilliance. Above all, though, I want to see Nolan do more original films.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
In the scriptbook for the TDKR trilogy, he made it clear he did not care for the Marvel characters, which is perfect. His aesthetic would not complement the Marvel Universe, at either Fox, Sony, or Marvel Studios. Atop of the dislike of the company, he has made it clear that he does not want to continue with the superhero genre - so, why force a man to create something he has no interest in (aside from the obvious unwritten incentive.) Besides, I do not want the Nolan trolls (haters and lovers) to take over the Marvel boards; they are a safe harbor on this website.

As for the other personnel connected with Nolan, I could see his brother taking a (successful) stab at the street-level characters. I sure as **** do not want Goyer at Marvel. *Shivers*

Oh, and I almost forgot Hans: he would be a terrific composter. Aside from Silvestri, the MCU films have been lacking a good score: they need their equivalent of "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" or "Molossus."
I'm not even sure Nolan really even cared that much about Batman.

Closed Thread