The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #51
KenK
Side-Kick

Default Re: Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

Fans really need to pull Nolan's dick outta their mouths.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #52
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Didn't THe Dark Knight Rises reveal that he was probably from Arabic countries?

All that one can infer from TDKR is that R'as was in the Middle East working for a warlord of some sort when he married the man's daughter and was exiled. The film doesn't speak to his origins or nationality.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
In the scriptbook for the TDKR trilogy, he made it clear he did not care for the Marvel characters, which is perfect. His aesthetic would not complement the Marvel Universe, at either Fox, Sony, or Marvel Studios. Atop of the dislike of the company, he has made it clear that he does not want to continue with the superhero genre - so, why force a man to create something he has no interest in (aside from the obvious unwritten incentive.) Besides, I do not want the Nolan trolls (haters and lovers) to take over the Marvel boards; they are a safe harbor on this website.
He said he was done with the superhero genre, but he's a producer for Man of Steel. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Nolan directs another CBM or even another series of CBMs before his career is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I'm not even sure Nolan really even cared that much about Batman.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #54
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Fans really need to pull Nolan's dick outta their mouths.
Agreed.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #55
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

His Batman was fairly incompetent, and seemed to do more damage than good in the long run, on top of the whole "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you" thing.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #56
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
His Batman was fairly incompetent, and seemed to do more damage than good in the long run, on top of the whole "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you" thing.
Even before that!!!!

League of Shadows: "Kill this man and prove your loyalty!"
Bruce Wayne: "NO!!! I won't kill!!!!"

**Flicks branding iron into a pile of gunpowder and blows up R'as Al Ghul's temple, which has about forty or so people in in, including R'as Al Ghul decoy, who subsequently is killed by this action!**

Let's not forget all the cop cars he demolished with police in them, with the Tumbler!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

He killed a dog too, possibly more.

It's not just the cop cars (how many cops do you think were badly injured chasing him around and crashing?), but the generally needless destruction to private property/vehicles.

He seemed to have a slight contempt for Batman, but he wasn't allowed to go all the way with it.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #58
KenK
Side-Kick

Female characters also got ridiculously short-changed in his films.

Batman and Selina definitely have an interestingly complicated relationship in the comics, but in the context of The Dark Knight Rises, the fact that Bruce decides to retire from Batman and make a life with her MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #59
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Female characters also got ridiculously short-changed in his films.

Batman and Selina definitely have an interestingly complicated relationship in the comics, but in the context of The Dark Knight Rises, the fact that Bruce decides to retire from Batman and make a life with her MAKES NO SENSE!!!!
It is established in the breaking-in at the beginning. Selina intrigues Bruce. He's been missing Rachel. Given how much Bruce depended on Rachel (watch TDK; Bruce plays the schemer trying to split Dent and Dawes), it makes sense that Bruce would decide to take his chances with Selina.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Agreed.
It's a shame that when someone appreciates a director, others view it as fans sucking the director's figurative penis.

Quote:
Taking down the League of Shadows as a whole and his greatest enemy, eradicating the mob even AFTER the Dent lie is revealed(by raising his army of the GCPD against the Blackgate criminals/the LoS)....he did more damage than what he accomplished?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #61
Victarion
Cut

Perhaps, Anno. You could also say Bruce's crusade is a deconstruction of the superhero, given how much collateral damage is done.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #62
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Perhaps, Anno. You could also say Bruce's crusade is a deconstruction of the superhero, given how much collateral damage is done.
Well, that is a good point. Never really thought of it in that sense where Nolan would show how a man fighting crime could cause more collateral damage than accomplishing anything.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #63
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
It's a shame that when someone appreciates a director, others view it as fans sucking the director's figurative penis.
It's a shame you only quoted my post when you missed the part I was agreeing with what someone else said.

I do know of audience who appreciate him as a director, but the e-blowjobs he gets on this forum needed to stop a long time ago.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #64
Victarion
Cut

I do prefer the greater body of Del Toro's work versus Nolan's. The Dark Knight Trilogy is the crown jewel of his stuff for me.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #65
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
It's a shame you only quoted my post when you missed the part I was agreeing with what someone else said.

I do know of audience who appreciate him as a director, but the e-blowjobs he gets on this forum needed to stop a long time ago.
You're the one who agreed, hence why I am replying to you. Didn't know people would be so shallow to agree with such an awful idea.

I can say I hate Insomnia, and I can say my favorite film of his is The Prestige(all my opinion, of course), but to say he receives, now, "e-blowjobs"(I guess it's the new term for it?) is just ridiculous and ignorant. People can just enjoy a director's work, it's not a crime. If you don't like it, then cool, but don't be silly to agree with this idea that people are sucking his "dick".

Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #66
weezerspider
Side-Kick

No other director or producer involved with a CBM ever has the respect in Hollywood that Nolan does. He's probably the top blockbuster director right now. He's one of Hollywood's hottest directors in general right now. It doesn't mean you have to like his work, or if you don't like his work your film tastes are bad or anything, but claiming fans 'suck his dick' is just as snobbish and ridiculous as the most vicious 'Nolanites'.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #67
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^

Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #68
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

If Jeff Robinov moves to Disney, Nolan might produce something on Marvel.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/yet-...-as-triumvira/

And Ben Affleck might direct Daredevil.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #69
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Even before that!!!!

League of Shadows: "Kill this man and prove your loyalty!"
Bruce Wayne: "NO!!! I won't kill!!!!"

**Flicks branding iron into a pile of gunpowder and blows up R'as Al Ghul's temple, which has about forty or so people in in, including R'as Al Ghul decoy, who subsequently is killed by this action!**

Let's not forget all the cop cars he demolished with police in them, with the Tumbler!!!!
Quote:
He killed a dog too, possibly more.

It's not just the cop cars (how many cops do you think were badly injured chasing him around and crashing?), but the generally needless destruction to private property/vehicles.

He seemed to have a slight contempt for Batman, but he wasn't allowed to go all the way with it.
Batman killed a lot of people while proclaiming that he wouldn't kill and eschewing guns, yes. He never used a gun, but he proved time and again that he didn't need one to effect mass slaughter. (How many Gothamites were killed when Bats and Gordon crashed the L train in the center of the city in BB?)

Batman is a piker when compared to Superman, however. The Man of Steel caused a horrifying amount of death and destruction as he heedlessly attacked Zod and his cronies, slamming them through occupied buildings with a complete disregard for human life. Although he warned Smallville's residents to go indoors when confronting Faora on Main Street, he issued no such warnings when he plowed through silos and a gas station with Zod moments before, causing building collapses and massive explosions. (I get the gas station exploding, but why the silos? Grain dust?) When they ended up crashing into the IHOP he didn't even cover for the cowering patrons to allow their escape.

In Metropolis Kal plowed through skyscrapers with reckless abandon, doubtless adding tens of thousands of deaths in a city already devastated by Zod's "world engine". He could have led Zod into space from the first, or kept the battle there once they ended up out of earth's atmosphere, but he didn't. Superman showed absolute contempt for life and property at the end of the movie. But then, why wouldn't he? His father spent years teaching him that he should selfishly refrain from helping others and he learned that lesson very well.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #70
Anno_Domini
Banned User

That "shake up" could ruin WB's DC cinematic universe.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #71
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Batman killed a lot of people while proclaiming that he wouldn't kill and eschewing guns, yes. He never used a gun, but he proved time and again that he didn't need one to effect mass slaughter. (How many Gothamites were killed when Bats and Gordon crashed the L train in the center of the city in BB?)

Batman is a piker when compared to Superman, however. The Man of Steel caused a horrifying amount of death and destruction as he heedlessly attacked Zod and his cronies, slamming them through occupied buildings with a complete disregard for human life. Although he warned Smallville's residents to go indoors when confronting Faora on Main Street, he issued no such warnings when he plowed through silos and a gas station with Zod moments before, causing building collapses and massive explosions. (I get the gas station exploding, but why the silos? Grain dust?) When they ended up crashing into the IHOP he didn't even cover for the cowering patrons to allow their escape.

In Metropolis Kal plowed through skyscrapers with reckless abandon, doubtless adding tens of thousands of deaths in a city already devastated by Zod's "world engine". He could have led Zod into space from the first, or kept the battle there once they ended up out of earth's atmosphere, but he didn't. Superman showed absolute contempt for life and property at the end of the movie. But then, why wouldn't he? His father spent years teaching him that he should selfishly refrain from helping others and he learned that lesson very well.
During the whole ending fight I kept thinking "Superman! Stop! Don't Do It! The People!!!!"

Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #72
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
If Jeff Robinov moves to Disney, Nolan might produce something on Marvel.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/yet-...-as-triumvira/

And Ben Affleck might direct Daredevil.
Robinov is close to Alan Horn, who also left WB and is now chairman of Disney. However, if/when Robinov walks he isn't automatically taking any filmmakers with him since they have individual deals with WB. Even if he ends up at Disney, that doesn't mean that Nolan will land there, too. Also, Kevin Feige is the president of Marvel and Ike Perlmutter controls things on that side, so it isn't likely that Nolan or anyone else would be joining the studio unless they wanted it. We don't have anything to fear on that account.

The growing rift between Legendary Pictures and WB is a far more interesting situation. Legendary's participation as a producer and financier has been essential for most of WB's recent blockbusters. Should Thomas Tull decide to partner with another studio, that would drastically change the financial landscape for WB's future films. Naturally, it would also be a windfall for the new studio partner. It would be far more intriguing if Disney managed to woo Tull into a contract to produce its blockbusters. Disney isn't hurting for cash, but execs would jump at the chance to have LP take part of the financial burden for its films. Could we see three or more Marvel films per year with Legendary on board? The mind boggles.

ETA: Robinov hates Tull for some reason, so if Legendary partners with Disney don't expect the WB chief to end up there, too. I recall reading the Robinov thinks that Tull takes too much credit for the films Legendary produces and tries to be in the limelight too much.

Last edited by xeno000; 06-21-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #73
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
During the whole ending fight I kept thinking "Superman! Stop! Don't Do It! The People!!!!"

Honestly, I thought about that, too. HBO has been playing Superman & Superman II in heavy rotation recently. The contrast between Superman's concern for people in those films and his utter disregard for their safety in MOS is shocking.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #74
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
All that one can infer from TDKR is that R'as was in the Middle East working for a warlord of some sort when he married the man's daughter and was exiled. The film doesn't speak to his origins or nationality.
And Batman Begins did?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #75
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Robinov is close to Alan Horn, who also left WB and is now chairman of Disney. However, if/when Robinov walks he isn't automatically taking any filmmakers with him since they have individual deals with WB. Even if he ends up at Disney, that doesn't mean that Nolan will land there, too. Also, Kevin Feige is the president of Marvel and Ike Perlmutter controls things on that side, so it isn't likely that Nolan or anyone else would be joining the studio unless they wanted it. We don't have anything to fear on that account.

The growing rift between Legendary Pictures and WB is a far more interesting situation. Legendary's participation as a producer and financier has been essential for most of WB's recent blockbusters. Should Thomas Tull decide to partner with another studio, that would drastically change the financial landscape for WB's future films. Naturally, it would also be a windfall for the new studio partner. It would be far more intriguing if Disney managed to woo Tull into a contract to produce its blockbusters. Disney isn't hurting for cash, but execs would jump at the chance to have LP take part of the financial burden for its films. Could we see three or more Marvel films per year with Legendary on board? The mind boggles.
If Disney has the option to decide between Robinov and Legendary, it would pick Robinov and his connection to directors/creators. Disney is clearly not starved of production studios. Disney has its own studio, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Touchstone, Pixar. It has cooperated long with Dreamworks. So there's little need to add Legendary and their boys-male oriented films. The idea of bringing Nolan, Snyder, and Affleck to work on Star Wars, Marvel and just the usual Disney family fares would surely be more enticing.

Closed Thread