Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #76
KenK
Side-Kick

Default Re: Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
It is established in the breaking-in at the beginning. Selina intrigues Bruce. He's been missing Rachel. Given how much Bruce depended on Rachel (watch TDK; Bruce plays the schemer trying to split Dent and Dawes), it makes sense that Bruce would decide to take his chances with Selina.
She stole his fingerprints which lead to someone stealing his identity to make stock buys that left him broke.

She led him to Bane to save her own ass, and he got his back broken for his troubles.

I would not wanna spend the rest of my life with this B****!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #77
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I think Dr. Strange is the character to get Nolan on. I think he can bring some intelligence and sophistication that that project desperately needs. It shouldn't be a generic movie for the masses. Punisher, DD, just compiles the Hollywood cliches of darker, brooding comicbook characters. Not something that would be worth bringing Nolan on board for.

WB is a mess right now. Huge dissension at the top. With Robinov out, A LOT of feathers have been rustled. Now is as good a time as any to make a pitch to Nolan, and hand out the blank pay check. WB could not exclusively land Interstellar. In fact, they backdoored a deal to even be a co-distributor along with Paramount. That alone is writing on the wall that something is up. WB HAS to keep this guy, but they can't overplay their hand and admit that Nolan is indispensable, even though that is absolutely the case. I don't know what Nolan's previous relationship is with Alan Horn, who of course switched over from WB. Who knows where Robinov ends up. Bring in Robinov, and you may have the bridge to Nolan and perhaps the rest of DC in another couple of decades for all we know.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #78
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
She stole his fingerprints which lead to someone stealing his identity to make stock buys that left him broke.

She led him to Bane to save her own ass, and he got his back broken for his troubles.

I would not wanna spend the rest of my life with this B****!!!
She didn't know why Daggett wanted the prints. If you watch that break in scene again, pay close attention to Bruce's facial expressions. Selina intrigues him. Whether or not that does it for you is entirely subjective. Personally, I like the crazies.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #79
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You're the one who agreed, hence why I am replying to you. Didn't know people would be so shallow to agree with such an awful idea.

I can say I hate Insomnia, and I can say my favorite film of his is The Prestige(all my opinion, of course), but to say he receives, now, "e-blowjobs"(I guess it's the new term for it?) is just ridiculous and ignorant. People can just enjoy a director's work, it's not a crime. If you don't like it, then cool, but don't be silly to agree with this idea that people are sucking his "dick".
When fans suggest him for every subsequent comic book movie that could possibly be produced, as has happened on these and other boards in the past, it gets to be a bit annoying. It became a free-for-all with no rhyme or reason. Even on this particular thread with fans implying that critic ratings for Nolan's films being better than most Marvel films means that those films are somehow inferior to him, and Marvel would be lucky to have him "work his magic" or whatever.

And honestly it started before Batman Begins even came out! I couldn't tell you how many post on these very boards I had to slog through when production photos came out, and all it took was a picture of Christian Bale in a business suit to have fans proclaiming that this was gonna be the best Batman movie ever!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #80
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
She didn't know why Daggett wanted the prints.
Selina can't not that naive! If she were, she'd be a far less interesting character.

Quote:
If you watch that break in scene again, pay close attention to Bruce's facial expressions. Selina intrigues him. Whether or not that does it for you is entirely subjective. Personally, I like the crazies.
Fine, enjoy the five months hanging from a rope 'cause you got your back broken for chasin' tail down the rabbit hole!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #81
Victarion
The Iron Captain

How would doing a job just for the money and a chance to fix her past make her nave?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #82
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Let me just say that while I agree that many and most of Nolan's female characters are poorly written and underdeveloped, his Selina Kyle was not an example of that. She's probably the most well-executed female character to appear in his films. It's too bad we only got one film of her.

Back on topic... Unless there were some completely unique and standalone project available that would afford him a great amount of creative control, I don't see Nolan as a good fit with any of Marvel's properties at any of the three studios. To me, the only thing that could have come close to that was if Daredevil were still at Fox, but that ship has sailed.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #83
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The Mandarin is really Aldrich Killian and was played by a British actor in the comics?
John Blake being a "nod" to Robin was way worse than Killian/Mandarin.

Then you have Frenchman Ducard turing out to be Ra's, an Eastern European Bane that didn't use "venom", a business suit wearing Scarecrow who has a potato sack for a mask , Joker who doesn't have perma white skin and didn't use his "Joker Venom", and vehicles that have never been seen in the comics (Tumbler, Batpod, The Bat)

And you want to complain about Mandarin straying too far from the comics?

I can just imagine Nolan doing the Avengers, Hulk, guy on streroids, no green skin, Captain America, just a regular soldier with a shield, Thor, a Scandinavian farmer with a large hammer, Iron Man, well there probably wouldn't be an Iron Man, just Tony Stark because an Iron Man suit would be too far fetched. No hellicarrier and no Quinjets.

No, sorry, Nolan is brilliant at what he does for his own movies, but he should stay as far away from Marvel movies as he can.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #84
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
When fans suggest him for every subsequent comic book movie that could possibly be produced, as has happened on these and other boards in the past, it gets to be a bit annoying. It became a free-for-all with no rhyme or reason. Even on this particular thread with fans implying that critic ratings for Nolan's films being better than most Marvel films means that those films are somehow inferior to him, and Marvel would be lucky to have him "work his magic" or whatever.

And honestly it started before Batman Begins even came out! I couldn't tell you how many post on these very boards I had to slog through when production photos came out, and all it took was a picture of Christian Bale in a business suit to have fans proclaiming that this was gonna be the best Batman movie ever!
As I said, it's fine if someone isn't a fan of Nolan's work, but don't stoop to troll levels where they have to say something inappropriate to get attention of their dislike of Nolan by saying his fans are giving him "e-blowjobs".

Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #85
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
John Blake being a "nod" to Robin was way worse than Killian/Mandarin.
An amalgamation of all the male Robins(besides Damian) such as him being an orphan like Dick Grayson and Jason Todd, using Dick Grayson's middle name(as well as becoming an officer like Grayson), having a resemblance of a last name that sounds like Drake(while also having John deduce that Bruce and Batman are one in the same such as Tim Drake). And just naming him Robin is not worse by any means. It's putting all of the Robins together in Nolan's version when he was never going to introduce all of them, as well as even having a Robin character in the first place. This Robin will be the next Batman. It's so not worse than making Iron Man's greatest villain into some caricature for threat promos when the real Mandarin is actually another villain from the comics. It's worse than even Favreau combining Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo in Iron Man 2.

Quote:
Then you have Frenchman Ducard turing out to be Ra's, an Eastern European Bane that didn't use "venom", a business suit wearing Scarecrow who has a potato sack for a mask , Joker who doesn't have perma white skin and didn't use his "Joker Venom", and vehicles that have never been seen in the comics (Tumbler, Batpod, The Bat)

And you want to complain about Mandarin straying too far from the comics?

I can just imagine Nolan doing the Avengers, Hulk, guy on streroids, no green skin, Captain America, just a regular soldier with a shield, Thor, a Scandinavian farmer with a large hammer, Iron Man, well there probably wouldn't be an Iron Man, just Tony Stark because an Iron Man suit would be too far fetched. No hellicarrier and no Quinjets.

No, sorry, Nolan is brilliant at what he does for his own movies, but he should stay as far away from Marvel movies as he can.
Let alone, I only brought up The Mandarin and Killian being the same when someone said Marvel tends to be true to the comics and they were wrong(read the last page...that would be wise than just replying to my post ). You're mentioning stuff that I am fine about when Nolan at least sticks some truth to the characters instead of making a pure joke as Shane Black did with Mandarin(you wonder why that change gets the most backlash than anything in TDKR?).

ALTHOUGH...look at the inspiration from Nolan's trilogy: The Tumbler has made an appearance(which resembles the vehicle being used in TDKReturns....so it's rather nonsense to say a vehicle similar to The Tumbler has never appeared).

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 06-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #86
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

The "Robin" reveal was fairly insulting to the audience, on top of being really dumb.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #87
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post

Seriously imagine Thor ..... "The world isn't ready to know that Gods exist."

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 06-21-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #88
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
The "Robin" reveal was fairly insulting to the audience, on top of being really dumb.
It was rather pointless. Nolan took a hard stance against including Robin in the his films, so putting that nod in there was more of a slap in the face that what I'm sure he believed was clever fan service.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #89
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Sure, Nolan had a stance when it comes to Robin....because it was so early on with the career of his Batman. Things change over time when he had TDKR take place eight years after TDK.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #90
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Even before that!!!!

League of Shadows: "Kill this man and prove your loyalty!"
Bruce Wayne: "NO!!! I won't kill!!!!"

**Flicks branding iron into a pile of gunpowder and blows up R'as Al Ghul's temple, which has about forty or so people in in, including R'as Al Ghul decoy, who subsequently is killed by this action!**

Let's not forget all the cop cars he demolished with police in them, with the Tumbler!!!!

I thought I was the only person who was bothered by this scene.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #91
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I think Dr. Strange is the character to get Nolan on.
You're kidding, right? There is absolutely no worse character for Nolan's pseudo-realism than Doctor Strange. In Nolan's hands, the Sorcerer Supreme would likely be reduced to a stage illusionist thrilling the masses with sleight-of-hand tricks. Mordo would be his rival, while Dormammu would be revealed as a former stagehand in a flaming Halloween mask. Real magic? There is no such thing in Nolan's world.

No thanks, DC can keep him.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #92
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
While not carbon copies of the comics, they are distinctly their source material.
Batman was not.
You're joking right?

Nolan's Batman movies are the most faithful interpretations of Batman in a live-action film yet. They are for certain more faithful to the source material than The Avengers was. Read some of the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams or Steve Englehart/ Marshall Rogers runs, Year One, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land, or The Dark Knight Returns for before you make such a ridiculous statement. Avengers, as good as it was, didn't take much inspiration from the comics at all like the Nolan films did (who even went as far as directly lifting scenes from the pages).

Last edited by Mulholland-Jr; 06-22-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #93
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:

Did you get a degree in jockeying, or are you on your high horse just for fun?

Its a fact that Nolan's filmography has been better received by critics than the MCU. Just look at every site that calculates review averages: Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritc ect. That doesn't mean you have to like him. It doesn't mean you are dumb or don't 'get' films for not liking him. It doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but it IS a fact the averages say critics like his films more than MCU films. Thats not dick-sucking.

Second of all, making statements like , well 'people need to quit sucking Nolan's Dick', 'Nolan doesn't deserve to work for Marvel' and those kind of comments are just as asinine, snobbish and honestly, dick statements that are just as bad as the worst 'Nolanites'. IF Nolan would be willing to work in Marvel's boundaries( He wouldn't), Marvel would love to have him work for them. No film production company is going to turn away one of the most profitable directors if he's willing to work for them. Its asinine to assume Marvel's better than him or whatever. Its not dick sucking to say 'Hey Marvel would be lucky to have Nolan work on a film with them'. Its TRUE! Nolan brings in money. His name attached to another superhero will bring in a lot of money. Its a great business move. Marvel would love that, in the right circumstances. I'm not saying they'd bend their backs for him, but if he came to them and said 'yo, I wanna work for you and I'll work within your restraints of you connected universe. Whedon's the creative boss, cool. I'll answer to him', Marvel would sign him in a heartbeat and love it. Would he do that? No. He's the closest thing to an auteur in mainstream Hollywood and the MCU in many ways works against the auteur theory of film. However, its true and not dick sucking to say "Hey, in the right circumstances, Marvel would love Nolan". It would be an amazing business move and sorry bro, the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns. Believe it or not, Marvel Studios does care about $. Right now, Nolan's name=$ as much as anyone else in Hollywood.

Do people bring up Nolan too much on the Hype Boards? Maybe, but when you are on a superhero forum then the guy who directed a film that is often considered 'The Godfather of the superhero film' by critics, GA and fans, is going to come up a lot. Are there snobbish Nolan fans on the Hype? Sure tons of them. They've been coined 'Nolanites' and there are plenty of them that I can not stand. However, like the 'Nolanites' take every moment possible to praise Nolan, there are also the 'Anti-Nolanites' who take every moment to bash him for whatever reason. The 'Anti-Nolanites' are just as bad as the 'Nolanites'.

Last edited by weezerspider; 06-22-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #94
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

To me he's always been a hit or miss director. Some of his movies are good and some are awful.

Memento - never saw it, no comment
Insomnia - decent
Batman Begins - really good
The Prestige - crap
TDK - mega crap
Inception - good
TDKR - bad

Marvel doesn't need him.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #95
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

well, that might seem like a massive betrayal to some fans, but i'll be damned if he wouldn't be perfect for punisher or daredevil.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #96
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
If Disney has the option to decide between Robinov and Legendary, it would pick Robinov and his connection to directors/creators. Disney is clearly not starved of production studios. Disney has its own studio, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Touchstone, Pixar. It has cooperated long with Dreamworks. So there's little need to add Legendary and their boys-male oriented films. The idea of bringing Nolan, Snyder, and Affleck to work on Star Wars, Marvel and just the usual Disney family fares would surely be more enticing.

Don't be so sure about the allure of landing Robinov. He has relationships with filmmakers, yes, but all of them also have close business ties with WB and/or Legendary at the moment. Those financial ties can't necessarily be severed instantly just because people are pissed about Robinov's imminent ouster.

You mentioned that Legendary is "boys-male oriented". Why do you think that Disney snapped up Marvel? The studio's rationale at the time was that it needed to add a brand that could produce movies that would attract boys and young men, to add to its Disney princess monopoly on girls. The acquisition of LucasFilm was another move to shore up Disney's offerings for the young male demo. If Legendary is male-focused, that would make it all the more attractive to Disney.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #97
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
To me he's always been a hit or miss director. Some of his movies are good and some are awful.

Insomnia - decent
The Prestige - crap
TDK - mega crap
Inception - good
TDKR - bad

Marvel doesn't need him.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #98
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post

Insomnia - decent
The Prestige - crap
TDK - mega crap
Inception - good
TDKR - bad

Marvel doesn't need him.
huh? You're trolling right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #99
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
huh? You're trolling right?

Someone doesn't like TDK. Heaven forbid.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #100
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post

Someone doesn't like TDK. Heaven forbid.
There's a difference in liking a film and knowing when it's bad, they're not the same thing, i like Chronicles of Riddick but i won't defend it as a good movie. I don't enjoy The Shinning, you don't see me saying it was mega crap just because it wasn't something i liked.

If liking and knowing how to judge properly were the same thing then Transformers 3's reception would rise a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread