The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
The Avengers 19 34.55%
Age of Ultron 26 47.27%
Tie 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Default The Avengers VS Age of Ultron

The title says it all. Let's settle this here. Which of Joss Whedon's Avengers movies is superior?

VS

Last edited by hafizbat; 05-02-2015 at 10:02 PM.
hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: The Avengers VS Age of Ultron

I need to see AoU a few more times before I vote. This is going to be difficult, because the one thing for A1 is that it's a cultural phenomenon that's held up over time. That's difficult to say how people will view AoU in a few years.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
BigThor
Number One Jobber

Age of Ultron definately!

BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Age of Ultron, and I don't feel like it is even close.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I need to see AoU a few more times before I vote. This is going to be difficult, because the one thing for A1 is that it's a cultural phenomenon that's held up over time. That's difficult to say how people will view AoU in a few years.
Over time? It has been 3 years.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Age of Ultron, and I don't feel like it is even close.
I feel you, and I believe for the same reasons as you.

But I'm way too emotionally attached to TA to vote against it, so I voted tie.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
ares834
Side-Kick

The Avengers. Absolutely no contest. I remember walking out of the theater that day and being unbelievably blow away. Age of Ultron just felt like another blockbuster, good but hardly noteworthy.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I saw The Avengers back to back on two days on opening weekend. I have no intention to do so with Ultron. The first Avengers is a much more exhilarating film.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

That's the prevailing sentiment it seems, that TA was just an unforgettably fun experience. I personally think that TA has emotions and nostalgia in its favor, but as a movie AoU is just much stronger. Based on the things people say, it definitely seems like novelty is a bigger factor than people admit. So it was always going to be near impossible for AoU to top TA in people's minds.

Especially when Whedon put story above "wow" moments. He could have easily stuffed a bunch of epic moments in the finale like he did in TA, but I feel like he put the integrity of the story and what he was trying to say above the thrill factor.

The rumor of him cutting out a still-unknown Hulk moment that supposedly would have been the most epic moment yet in the MCU and more thrilling than anything in TA for the sake of the integrity of the story is proof of that, I think. He didn't elect to build the finale around thrilling moments this time.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
ares834
Side-Kick

Which I think was a big mistake on his part. The plot just didn't grip me as much as it needed too.

I'd also disagree about the movie being much stronger.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
Mr.T
Side-Kick

TA was tied into the other MCU films a helluva lot tighter, so the payoff was much bigger. The cosmic cube & Loki were the centralized theme's of every movie in phase 1. Phase 2 movies were just a "sneak peak" into what our favorite little Avengers were doing at that moment, Post-NYC. Then they all come together to battle a villain created during the movie. I love both movies, but TA is better than AoU, IMO.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
Drizzle
Big Walking Carpet

The first film is still great, but Age of Ultron just tapped into so much more potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
The cosmic cube & Loki were the centralized theme's of every movie in phase 1.
Not at all. Leading up to The Avengers, the Iron Man films and The Incredible Hulk had nothing to do with the cube or Loki (who was only in Thor anyway).

Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #13
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
The first film is still great, but Age of Ultron just tapped into so much more potential.

Not at all. Leading up to The Avengers, the Iron Man films and The Incredible Hulk had nothing to do with the cube or Loki (who was only in Thor anyway).
The cube is where Stark's tech comes from, but I see what you're saying. TIH is kind of out there on it's own island.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #14
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

They're sooo different that its hard for me to choose. Even though AoU didn't give me the same feels as the first one, I think i liked it better by just a hair.

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 8/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9.5/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:34 AM   #15
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

Age If Ultron easily! The first Avengers is good, but AoU was absolutely fantastic!

Godzillasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #16
PunyGod
Dojo

The Avengers was the most fun I ever had at the movies by far. Its the only time that a movie not only met the hype but exceeded it. I literally had a smile on my face when I walked out of the theater and I wanted to high-five the people in line for the next showing.

AoU was kinda doomed from the start because there is no way it could live up to that. I don't think any movie ever will.

PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #17
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Age of Ultron. It expanded upon what made the first work. I think The Avengers is highly overrated. I still love it, but Age of Ultron tapped into exactly what I wanted out of the first Avengers.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:25 AM   #18
Elayis

I never enjoyed the first Avengers. Far too much humor, so much so that it undermined the drama, and the plot was threadbare. There wasn't very much balance in how the characters were treated (felt like Iron Man & Friends) and Loki was turned into a caricature and a joke. Another gripe I had with it was that it felt like a TV movie. The sets were small and self-contained, the CGI was crap and the final battle was very underwhelming.

To me, Age of Ultron improved on all of those points. Maybe I've just gotten used to the comedy, but it didn't bother me so much this time. There was a lot more going on in the story and I actually cared about the characters for a change (aside from Natasha & Bruce). Ultron was a great villain, maybe the MCU's best (aside from Loki in the first Thor). Even with the number of characters this film had, to me short-changed was Thor (and even there, he still has another solo film to expand with); I really grew to like the new additions. This film was considerably larger in scope, and the sets & locations helped in emphasizing that. Whedon's skill-craft has clearly grown since the first film. The CGI was still wonky at times (the opening, Ultron and his horde in the final battle), but it was tolerable this time. It didn't have any outright bad shots like Tony & Pepper in Stark Tower at the end of the first film.

So for someone who hasn't liked the way the MCU has moving in the last few years, and went into this film expecting to dislike it, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Easily my third favorite MCU film, maybe even my second (Iron Man 1 is still the best for me).

1. The Dark Knight, 2. Batman Begins, 3. X-Men, 4. Iron Man, 5. Watchmen, 6. The Dark Knight Rises, 7. Hulk, 8. X2, 9. X-Men: First Class, 10. The Incredible Hulk, 11. Avengers: Age of Ultron, 12. Man of Steel

Last edited by Elayis; 05-03-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #19
thanos1990
Side-Kick

I like both

thanos1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #20
Snakewise
Shire Special Forces

I went with them being tied. I think the first one is a better made film, but the additions (especially Vision) helped AoU score enough points to get a tie.

Snakewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:06 AM   #21
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Tough I liked both for different reasons.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #22
Havok83
Side-Kick

The first was much better

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #23
Lord
All Mighty

Wasn't a big fan of Avengers 1, i actualy disagree with the notion that it wasn't forgetable, and as a blockbuster, i didn't feel like it had all that many thrills. That said, it was a well put film and most likely better as a whole than Age of Ultron, as it had less problems.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #24
Greens
Joker meltdown 24/4/15-?

The first one.

Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #25
DanielFM
Poor-man's Cap

I liked AoU more in every aspect.
Better action. Better cinematography. Better plot. Every character got chances to shine. Great new additions to the team.

I think nostalgia for the first film is playing against this one for a lot of people. But while I value A1 for what it represented, i think it simply doesn't hold water against Age of Ultron.

DanielFM is offline   Reply With Quote