The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #76
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Default Re: The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

RDJ tells Variety what it's like to be Iron Man

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #77
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I like it, has a bit of the bleeding edge armor coloring to it

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #78
jolldan
Side-Kick

C'mon RDJ give the people what they want and do a Iron Man 4

jolldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #79
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Id happily ride the Marvel bus until people told me to get off. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity and the best one you could have right now as an actor.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #80
Gabe99
Side-Kick

What Marvel Could Learn From Bond
Marvel director Joe Russo cites the Bond franchise as a great way to recast and keep things fresh

Downey Jr. May Be Ready to Hang Up Iron Man Suit
Robert Downey Jr. says Hawkeye "has a lot to do with the plot" of Avengers: Age of Ultron, and discusses his own Marvel future.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #81
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

RDJ should stick around awhile. People love that character. At least he can do Iron Man 4 and Avengers 3 first before he splits.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #82
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Arrow Re: The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Like a freaking BOSS!!!

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #83
fixxxer
Side-Kick

The entire "we'll just James Bond it" agenda from Marvel Studios (first Feige and now Russo) has always seemed like something of a false parallel to me. The James Bond flicks, for the most part, are a string of largely unconnected movies, simply with familiar characters. The MCU is its own living, breathing continuity-beast. Yes, Marvel Studios will face the challenge of replacing franchise center-pieces like Downey, Evans and Hemsworth in the future... but they'll have to go about it much more carefully than just "Bonding" it.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #84
Six
Six Six Six

Yeah, I hate the Bond comparison. I want them to recast altogether, switching actors in between sequels and team ups would just be beyond stupid. When RDJ is done with the character, kill him off and switch the roster around with other characters, then eventually when they run out of important characters, start over. Start with the big ones again except try to make it even better.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #85
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

So long as there are good stories to tell involving Stark why kill him off simply because the actor portraying him moves on?
Following up RDJ seems impossible but Marvel Studios have proven many times that they can cast brilliantly and it is just a much better idea than simply killing off all the best heroes each time a contract expires and also a better idea than rebooting the cinematic universe.

Gr0oT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #86
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
That was a great interview. The way that RDJ talked about working for Marvel makes you think that maybe he'll stick with the studio for a bit longer. "Sooner or later, they’ve got to start over and get somebody young. I’m not there with them yet. It really is the closest thing to being a beloved contract player with a big old-timey studio that there is right now. When you really think about it at the end of the day, these films are entertainment largely driven by young folks. There is something very honorable about that."

RDJ's birthday is April 4th, so he's getting a print of CATWS and inviting 50 kids over to see it. Movie stars' kids have all the luck.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #87
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Quote:
I like, I like a lot!

Arc reactor looks a lot more golden, presumably a by-product of not having one in his chest?

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #88
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

I think if the money works out, RDJ would gladly do an Iron Man 4. He seems to really love it and Marvel would make room for him, maybe even give it a Christmas release to squeeze it in with the other Phase 3 films. But at this point after backing up the Brinks truck for Avengers 2 and 3, I think they would have to give him a Jack Nicholson deal, as in a slice of the merchandise. He alludes to it in the Variety interview with the toys, so that would probably be the only thing to bag him for IM4.

Visiting Arkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #89
Raiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That was a great interview. The way that RDJ talked about working for Marvel makes you think that maybe he'll stick with the studio for a bit longer. "Sooner or later, they’ve got to start over and get somebody young. I’m not there with them yet. It really is the closest thing to being a beloved contract player with a big old-timey studio that there is right now. When you really think about it at the end of the day, these films are entertainment largely driven by young folks. There is something very honorable about that."

RDJ's birthday is April 4th, so he's getting a print of CATWS and inviting 50 kids over to see it. Movie stars' kids have all the luck.
I'm sure RDJ has a large home theatre room in his mansion to see the movie like he would at the AMC. It's very cool to see that he will invite 50 kids to see TWS with him on his birthday, and in the interview I think he does leave an open door to return even as he was discussing about leaving the character for good.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #90
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
This looks great! I hope this suit is already past the prototype phase and is as durable and functional like the others. Also I hope it assembles on him like the mk 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
Yeah, I hate the Bond comparison. I want them to recast altogether, switching actors in between sequels and team ups would just be beyond stupid. When RDJ is done with the character, kill him off and switch the roster around with other characters, then eventually when they run out of important characters, start over. Start with the big ones again except try to make it even better.
No, killing off Tony Stark would be beyond stupid. The Avengers and Iron Man movies have a combined 3.942 billion in the WW BO. And you think they should kill him off after the Avengers? Lol.

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #91
drod1985
Ragnarock n' Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
I hope this suit is already past the prototype phase and is as durable and functional like the others. Also I hope it assembles on him like the mk 42.
That's what I'm hoping too, and I think that's what we'll see if the on-screen armor resembles the Mk42 as closely as this costume does.

I'd also like to see some of the modular aspects of the Marvel NOW! armor incorporated with the Mk42 concept, where he could call other specialized pieces to him and integrate them into the armor he's currently wearing.

drod1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #92
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I wonder if this movie will have Tony's reaction to the fact that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
his father was in fact murdered by HYDRA

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #93
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I wonder if this movie will have Tony's reaction to the fact that
his father was in fact murdered by HYDRA
well i'm sure that he already suspected because of
the giant shootout between Hydra and SHIELD
at his dad's funeral.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #94
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ was that in the film?

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #95
Six
Six Six Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
No, killing off Tony Stark would be beyond stupid. The Avengers and Iron Man movies have a combined 3.942 billion in the WW BO. And you think they should kill him off after the Avengers? Lol.

yes, because casting an entirely different actor for Avengers 4 and Iron Man 4 and pretending its the same guy will go over so well.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #96
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

yes, because casting an entirely different actor for Avengers 4 and Iron Man 4 and pretending its the same guy will go over so well.
Recasting worked for Bruce Banner, Rhodey, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Superman and many other characters, so why wouldn't it work for Tony Stark?

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #97
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
^ was that in the film?
No, I don't know what he's talking about.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #98
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:

It worked for Bod, it worked for Jack Ryan and in the MCU itself it worked for Banner, Rhodey, Fandral and Howard Stark.
It's like saying 'Well, I hope after Stan Lee stops writing The Avengers they just kill those characters off. No one will accept a different writer for that book'
The opposite is true

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #99
The Endless
WE are Groot

It's more difficult in this case because Iron Man IS RDJ. It's not like RDJ is Iron Man.

The likes of Spidey and Batman and Superman are icons as characters. RDJ made Iron Man an icon. If it wasn't for RDJ no one would give a **** about Iron Man.

It's not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult and there will be more problems than re-casting the likes of Spidey or Batman.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #100
Raiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
It's more difficult in this case because Iron Man IS RDJ. It's not like RDJ is Iron Man.

The likes of Spidey and Batman and Superman are icons as characters. RDJ made Iron Man an icon. If it wasn't for RDJ no one would give a **** about Iron Man.

It's not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult and there will be more problems than re-casting the likes of Spidey or Batman.
How about Dr. Banner and Rhodey? These were recast without any problem. As much as the fact that GA now identifies Tony Stark as RDJ, the same thing happened with Sean Connelly and James Bond but they still managed to recast this iconic role. You cannot expect Marvel to stop making anymore Iron Man movies just because RDJ decides to retire from superhero movies for good.