The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #201
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I think above all its about the screenplay/story/character arc. RDJ wont do it just for the money I dont think. IM4 is gonna have to be pretty incredible for him to sign on. This goes back to our discussion about replacing him, why do it just to make a bunch of mediocre movies? noone wants to see subpar MCU films. Theres only so many places you can take the character and have it be really cool.
The Iron Man movies haven't had the consistency of the Captain America movies so far. RDJ already signed on for 2 sequels which weren't universally praised in the same way as Cap 2. He really needs someone like the Russo brothers writing an IM script instead of another Shane Black outing or the likes of Justin Theroux.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #202
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I think above all its about the screenplay/story/character arc. RDJ wont do it just for the money I dont think. IM4 is gonna have to be pretty incredible for him to sign on. This goes back to our discussion about replacing him, why do it just to make a bunch of mediocre movies? noone wants to see subpar MCU films. Theres only so many places you can take the character and have it be really cool.
That's important, but I don't think they'll let him choose one movie at a time either. Perhaps they'll have to give him more creative control in order to get him to stay on to ensure the movies aren't mediocre (or at least, if they are, it's partially his fault).

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #203
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

The Russos didn't write Cap, they directed it. The same writers who did Cap1 did Cap 2 - Marcus and McFeely.

Again, I loved Iron Man 3 so I'd have no problem with Shane Black coming back but regardless what you think of the movies at least Iron Man 3 had a finished script when it started shooting which certainly wasn't the case with Iron Man 1 (Downey and Bridges were writing a lot of their stuff on set) and it didn't feel like they did either for Iron Man 2 which was a rush job by the studio.

RDJ is already irreplaceable - though he'll eventually be succeeded. But he's going to be in two more Avengers movies so he's Stark until at least 2019 so why not have another Iron Man during that period?

Yes he's expensive but he brings the studio more $ than anyone else - he's earned it. To put it in perspective, Marvel would be thrilled if GOTG, Ant-Man or Strange made less than half what Iron Man 3 did, even a 1/3rd ($400m) would be considered a success.

I know the MCU needs new series to stay fresh but benching your billion plus franchise for a decade to give us Ant Man 2 doesn't make a lot of fiscal or even entertainment sense because hey it's RDJ - lightning in a bottle - so use him while you can.

TalismanRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #204
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Personally if there was a fourth, I'd want it the quality of the first film, I've absolutely hated 2 and 3, cannot abide them as films or story arcs to the first film, which had so much heart and spirit to it.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #205
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

If Shane Black came back for IM4 Id expect a more traditional super hero film than his bait n' switch IM3 which I actually appreciate the more time goes on. Its nice to watch this genre be taken to unexpected places and not play by the rules in that way. Although I dont want every MCU movie to do that, just now n then.

Most important thing for me is: Will IM4 be relevant and make sense for Tony Stark. I dont care about the box office takes etc. Its about quality.

For the record Ive enjoyed all the IM films, they really are fun even with their flaws (which arent that big anyway).

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #206
BoredGuy
Killing Time

IM3 was amazing, don't care what the haters say

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #207
Lorus
Side-Kick

Yeah, Iron Man 3 was pretty great. Best of the Iron Man films and easily in the top 3 films Marvel Studios have made.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #208
P Supreme
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 was good until you already know what I'm going to say

I hope RDJ does a 4th but my guess he won't

my top 3 mcu

1. Avengers
2. Cap 2
3. Iron man

P Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #209
Drizzle
Band User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
Yeah, Iron Man 3 was pretty great. Best of the Iron Man films and easily in the top 3 films Marvel Studios have made.
You're in the minority there. I liked Iron Man 3, but it doesn't touch the first film.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #210
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

the 1st IM will always be the best one imo.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #211
Spider-Ock
SpOck

According to me, IM1 was the best movie the MCU has ever made. Great story, amazing cast, gorgeous visuals, smokin' cars, and Robert Downey Jr. Easily in one of my top 3 CBMs of all time.

I am No. 10: The Ass Man
Spider-Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #212
starkresilient
Side-Kick

after the rdj might return rumour marvel just announced another movie coming up in 2018 may. could it be iron man 4? people were putting may 2019 as avengers 3 so maybe they changed it and will have another movie in 2019

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #213
Sterling Archer
Worlds Greatest Super Spy

Does anyone else have the problem with Iron Man in these movies that it's hard to picture Tony Stark actually being in the suit? Because it's usually just CG I often feel there is a disconnect between Iron Man and Tony.

Top 5 Comic Book Movies:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2. Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The Amazing Spider-man 4. The Avengers 5. X-Men: First Class
Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #214
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I don't get how Tony says in the trailer it's the end of what he started ? He didn't start the formation of The Avengers, that was Fury who did. Stark was approached by Nick fury at the end of IM to join The Avengers Initiative futhermore he never lead the team, it was Captain America who gave the orders in the Battle of New York.

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #215
Sterling Archer
Worlds Greatest Super Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I don't get how Tony says in the trailer it's the end of what he started ? He didn't start the formation of The Avengers, that was Fury who did. Stark was approached by Nick fury at the end of IM to join The Avengers Initiative futhermore he never lead the team, it was Captain America who gave the orders in the Battle of New York.
I assume he is referring to his increasing reliance on AI and machines which leads to the creation of Ultron. Might also have something to do with the Avengers Academy seeing as Ultron's first form is made from one of the broken blue Iron Man drones that we see him crush.

Top 5 Comic Book Movies:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2. Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The Amazing Spider-man 4. The Avengers 5. X-Men: First Class
Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #216
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

^What Sterling Archer said.

Also, anyone notice a strong resemblance in that "path I started us on" scene to Harley's garage in IM3 (the place Tony holed up while he was going incognito)? Hell, Tony's even wearing the same checkered shirt he wore from that Rose Hill subplot.

I'm wondering if this is yet another example of mind**** on the part of Wanda. I think she literally gets inside the heads of the Avengers and takes them to the low points of their individual histories to prey on their darkest fears ---- Tony's anxiety during IM3, Cap during a WWII scene (maybe that dance he and Peggy never had...?), Natasha as a child ballerina, Thor in some Asgardian scene. Maybe that's why Bruce appears depowered and shaken up in a lot of those scenes --- Wanda's found a way to make all of them live in fear.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now   Reply With Quote