The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #51
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Default Re: The Writer's thread (Authors, Screenwriters, playwrights, etc.))

As for how I write and all that...

I typically get up at about 3:30am and get showered. Then I work on my book stuff until I have to leave for work around 5:45. I take thumbnail drive with me and work on my book during my lunch and 2 beaks. Then when I get home I try to put in more book time, but that time fluxuates depending on family, new comicbook Wednesday, and if Big Brother or So You Think You Can Dance is on. Then on Weekends I try to get a few hours of writing time in a day.

It takes a lot of discipline but it's worth it.

As for inspiration... everything. I came up with a simple motto years ago that I constantly remind myself. "Find inspiration in all you see and do." I will literally stop 20 times a day and look at simple things, like old bricks or snow on a playground, and think, "What can I get out of this?" Then I record it on my phone or write it down and store it for later. I remember watching a brick fall from a skid and break. I nearly walked away but reminded myself of my motto and stared at it for a while. That 30 seconds sparked the entire premise of the eventual sequel to The Quest for Light. Don't let anything pass you by.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #52
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Do you have a hard time switching gears from your Christian fiction to your Anderson series to your childrens' series?
It's a small shock but it isn't hard to adjust to. I have ideas in nearly every genre. The thing that unites them is that I'm a fairly PG-13 kind of guy, so all of my books are pretty clean. Plus, it's fun to play with different genres. I don't really have a set one that I enjoy, so I just write what I feel like writing at the time.

So far I have:

The Quest for Light - Young Adult
Cicada Song - Romantic Suspense
The Adventures of Flitter & Plank - Juvenile Fiction
From the Ruin of Extinction - Christian Fantasy
Not Quite Home - Romantic Suspense

The planned future is:

The Temptation of Flitter - Juvenile Fiction
Refuge Book 2 - Christian Fantasy
Janie's Gift (Anderson Book 3) - I'm not sure, but maybe Contemporary
Refuge Book 3 - Christian Fantasy
When There Should Be Two (Anderson Book 4) - I'm not sure, but it deals with miscarraiges

After that I have a paranormal story, my best friend and my series of fantasy novels that I've condensed to 4 Young Adult Fantasy novels, a Christian Horror, and various others. I also have a prequel to the Refuge series planned that I don't know if I want to write, as well as 3 sequels to The Quest for Light, but I'll tackle those way down the road.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't understand writer's block. My brain doesn't shut off.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I don't understand writer's block. My brain doesn't shut off.
Yeah. One good thing to do is have a log of all the stories on your mind so you can have the choice of which ones you want to work on. Currently have two being sent around, working on two, and have six just in waiting. I've just always relied on that to bring a little more order to my mind.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #55
DarkSentinel
Always DS

I guess what sets me apart from most modern authors is that I'm very Tolkienian in my writing. Legacy of the Wolven has been my life's work and is and will be my magnum opus. There are some other stories I want to write but I have to see this through to the end. Don't ask me why, I just have to.

Always.
*T*
DarkSentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #56
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Did you have anything on the Future-Kinds' homeworld? It sounds like a rough place to live.
No, it was mostly set in "present day".

Hotwire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #57
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I have found I work best at night, usually after ten p.m. (or when everyone has gone to sleep.) I need darkness outside and silence in the house to write; it helps clear my mind of possible distractions, environmental and social. Back when I was working on the book, I was pounding out 2k words a night, tripping on Mountain Dew. However, with the new book - my scripts are on a break at the moment, pending some revisions I am contemplating-I have been plotting, instead of telling the story as it went along. This is required since it is a multi-tiered narrative (think It, in terms of scale) and requires a heckuva lotta research.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Thanks for compliments for starting the thread, though credit should go to ComicChick for coming up with the idea.

A bit of info about me. I'm more on the filmmaking side, but I do dabble in some writing of screenplays. I finished making one screenplay years ago, but I'm giving it a huge overhaul now. I've written several short films too.

I'd love to get into Graphic novel writing eventually once I get money and I find an artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post
Awesome! I currently go to Syracuse University!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
How have I NOT found this thread yet?!
I'm honestly surprised it took you so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #59
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
I guess what sets me apart from most modern authors is that I'm very Tolkienian in my writing. Legacy of the Wolven has been my life's work and is and will be my magnum opus. There are some other stories I want to write but I have to see this through to the end. Don't ask me why, I just have to.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #60
DarkSentinel
Always DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Why?

If I'm honest with myself, Mathion was actually the first project of any significance that I actually managed to finish. So in a way, it's kind of a "no turning back/can't turn away now" kind of thing.

Always.
*T*
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #61
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

Cool a writer's thread. I just graduated with my B.A in English. Im good friends with my drama professor and I wrote a play that we performed for the spring season in my Junior year. And I edited a play that we performed for the Fall season for my Senior year. I also wrote a few critical essays on the theory of narration and the importance of sex in classical literature.

I started writing a script for a web series that Im working double shifts to have a foundation for. Also I have 90% of a script for a graphic novel done, I just need to sit down and start drawing it.

I also have an outline for a baseball novel, that I want to start in the few months but I might push that back to work on the web series. I have a notebook of ideas and thoughts that I need to sort out.

I would love to have a career a screenplay writer and playwright, but I would also like to teach so Im thinking about going for my M.A next fall.

I have a question, do you guys find it hard to write at home? I feel like my focus is stronger outside or in a new place compared to my apartment.

Last edited by Widowmaker; 06-27-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #62
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

For me, I can only write on my desktop PC at my desk. I can't write on my laptop and I can't write by hand (my handwriting is so sloppy that I can barely read it sometimes). Unfortunately my hard drive failed on my desktop so I've been unable to do any significant writing lately.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #63
roach
I am the night

Just discovered this place....awesome. I have a Bachelors in Film and a Masters in Creative Writing with a slant towards screenwriting.
I am working on my third script.
1) The Teddy Knight is a fantasy story
2) He/She is a raunchy comedy
3) Machina is an sci fi action flick

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #64
DarkSentinel
Always DS

Ok for those of us striving for publication, who here actually HAS an agent? And if so, what can you tell us about getting one?

Oh and by "us" I mean "me", of course

Always.
*T*
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #65
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
For me, I can only write on my desktop PC at my desk. I can't write on my laptop and I can't write by hand (my handwriting is so sloppy that I can barely read it sometimes). Unfortunately my hard drive failed on my desktop so I've been unable to do any significant writing lately.
Oh man, that's terrible about the hard drive. For me it's the opposite I can plot out everything in a notebook or pad but on the PC my mind bounces. Thats why I always gave myself an extra week and 1/2 to type papers and it takes a week for me to start typing out scripts. When Im in a different place it's like I see nothing else but what Im writing. I guess its because Im in a place Im not familiar with.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #66
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Oh man, that's terrible about the hard drive. For me it's the opposite I can plot out everything in a notebook or pad but on the PC my mind bounces. Thats why I always gave myself an extra week and 1/2 to type papers and it takes a week for me to start typing out scripts. When Im in a different place it's like I see nothing else but what Im writing. I guess its because Im in a place Im not familiar with.
I used to do hand notes when I was in class and bored. I'd outline characters and stories in a notebook, but every time I got around to reviewing them I couldn't make heads or tails of what I wrote down.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #67
roach
I am the night

I understand I am currently training myself to write on an iPad

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #68
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I used to be a writing machine in my teens and early 20's, but it feels like I hardly ever write anything these days. I've participated in National Novel Writing Month twice, and never made it past my first chapter.

So, to get myself back into the habit of writing (and I'm a little ashamed to admit this), I've started writing fan fiction again. I figure I might as well use some less-than-original material for practice before I get back into writing original stuff again.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #69
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

For all the Screenplay writers out there. Considering that the movie business in a flux right now, and it's pretty much Franchises and sequels. Do you guys worry about writing something that's outside of the trend or do you write what you want to write?

Im planning to go to the N.Y. film academy for a Directing/filmmaking workshop so I can do on my own and put it online. So Im wonder if D-I-Y film making is the way to go.

Last edited by Widowmaker; 06-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #70
roach
I am the night

DIYseems like the best way to go about it

Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #71
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
For all the Screenplay writers out there. Considering that the movie business in a flux right now, and it's pretty much Franchises and sequels. Do you guys worry about writing something that's outside of the trend or do you write what you want to write?

Im planning to go to the N.Y. film academy for a Directing/filmmaking workshop so I can do on my own and put it online. So Im wonder if D-I-Y film making is the way to go.
I just write what I write. I'm a high concept metaphor driven guy which makes me 'hollywood' but character driven at the same time. It's what I like, what I want to see, without regard to budget, it just so happens to also be mainstream and could also be franchise starters. Even before I knew who I know, I did that. I'm not worried because of that.

Also while trends make things easier to sell, if it's really good - you can sell it without a trend being there.

However, with that said without knowing them I'm unsure if I would be taking the chances I make some of the time. But, with that support and continual support from them it's shown me that I am on the right path.

For those without contacts I'd say go more low budget to moderate budget because those are easier to get off the ground.

If you're asking if you should follow Hollywood? No. Never do that. Those scripts never make it past the readers, they can see faking something from a mile away. I was there, I could easily sense when someone was trying to imitate. The most fascinating thing to read is the complete and utter thesis of you. You are beyond intriguing and that's what readers want to read. Basically, be you on the page and good things will follow from there.

If you're in a position where you're open to make contacts, they usually don't want to read original screenplays due to possible legal issues. To bypass this I had an adaptation of a cartoon which they loved and the rest followed from there. For those wondering how I attained those contacts, simply intern and be the intern there the most days, the longest hours, and working the hardest to become their # 1 guy. Take your shot then, then hopefully things will take off from there. They're like family to me now. The best thing to have in the world is the feeling of having a strong net, it just makes everything easier. And with the right attitude and strong work ethic, it is really easy to attain.

You're starting college? Guessing 19/20ish? At this point don't worry about selling, worry about writing as much as you can as broadly as you can. I wrote for and managed a virtual series throughout college, only 25 now, with 40-50 pages per episode (22). In the end of four years I wrote around 50,000 pages (I think) in every single genre under the sun. Just experimenting. And I'll always say that's the best thing I ever did because instead of worrying about selling that young I just worried about experimenting, honing the craft, and finding my voice. It's a time to experiment, go wild.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 06-27-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #72
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I just write what I write. I'm a high concept metaphor driven guy which makes me 'hollywood' but character driven at the same time. It's what I like, what I want to see, without regard to budget, it just so happens to also be mainstream and could also be franchise starters. Even before I knew who I know, I did that. I'm not worried because of that.

However, with that said without knowing them I'm unsure if I would be taking the chances I make some of the time. But, with that support and continual support from them it's shown me that I am on the right path.

For those without contacts I'd say go more low budget to moderate budget because those are easier to get off the ground.

If you're asking if you should follow Hollywood? No. Never do that. Those scripts never make it past the readers, they can see faking something from a mile away. I was there, I could easily sense when someone was trying to imitate. The most fascinating to read is the complete and utter thesis of you. You are beyond intriguing and that's what readers want to be. Basically, be you on the page and good things will follow from there.

If you're in a position where you're open to make contacts, they usually don't want to read original screenplays due to possible legal issues. To bypass this I had an adaptation of a cartoon property which they loved and the rest followed from there. For those wondering how I got those contacts, simply intern and be the intern there the most days, the longest hours, and working the hardest to become their # 1 go-to guy. Take your shot then, then hopefully things will take off from there.

You're starting college? Guessing 19/20ish? At this point don't worry about selling, worry about writing as much as you can as broadly as you can. I wrote for and managed a virtual series throughout college with 40-50 pages per episode (22). In the end I wrote around 50,000 pages (I think) in every genre under the sun. Just experimenting. And I'll always say that's the best thing I ever did because instead of worrying about selling that young I just worried about experimenting, honing the craft, and finding my voice. It's a time to experiment, go wild.
No, Im a little older, 24 and:
Quote:
I just graduated with my B.A in English. Im good friends with my drama professor and I wrote a play that we performed for the spring season in my Junior year. And I edited a play that we performed for the Fall season for my Senior year. I also wrote a few critical essays on the theory of narration and the importance of sex in classical literature.

I started writing a script for a web series that Im working double shifts to have a foundation for. Also I have 90% of a script for a graphic novel done, I just need to sit down and start drawing it.

I also have an outline for a baseball novel, that I want to start in the few months but I might push that back to work on the web series. I have a notebook of ideas and thoughts that I need to sort out.

I would love to have a career a screenplay writer and playwright, but I would also like to teach so Im thinking about going for my M.A next fall.
I think that it's cool that you're in the field actually doing stuff. I have alot ideas that I know would be more Indie based but even an Indie isnt really an Indie anymore. I wish that I could of done more intern work but being on my own meant working so... Now that I have more time on my hands Im working on my goals. Do you have a genre preference? & Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

- Webseries sounds awesome, stick with that, one of the if not the greatest learning experiences someone can have.
- I write all genres, I just have common themes and elements. A boy having to overcome and accept his past to move on to truly being free in life.
- Indie people break in, don't know much about indie though.
- Most important part: Be genuine. I've read more scripts that dealt with just the plot and left out the most intriguing element of all - themselves and their own struggles right there on the page. Those are the scripts I passed (along to the execs) when I was a reader. And once in an interview Michael Shannon said those are the scripts he loves as well. My feeling across the board is be genuine, stand naked right there on the page, and sooner or later someone is going to definitely see that and latch on because it's real, so it also speaks to them. You can have the greatest world and story and everything, but if you're not right there on the page so we can truly feel it - it's not going to stand out. If you're naked on the page, yet have a world we've all seen before but with a new twist however small (basically going for the opposite of the previous sentence) - that will stand out because it'll feel real. Some of the scripts I didn't pass to the execs had more well crafted worlds than the ones I did pass along to them, simply because they didn't pact the same punch as the ones where you could truly see the writer bleeding onto the page. So with the whole what sells thing, the simplest answer there is really just - you sell yourself because that's what people want - something raw, real, and genuine that they can relate to (thus root for).

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 06-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #74
DarkSentinel
Always DS

Alright, I just sent a query to Beth Campbell of BookEnds LLC. She's currently building her client list, and with the recent "splitting" of Mathion into two books, we'll see how she responds.

Fingers crossed!!

Always.
*T*
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #75
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Best of luck, man.