The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: William Fitchner IS The Shredder

pretty lame. I wonder why they are white washing this cast...

Kinda takes the "ninja" out of "ninja turtles"

Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bes628 View Post
This movie is a disaster
That's an unfair assumption seeing as we've seen and heard nothing from it. Particularly, since the script revamp.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post

I don't see how its white washing.

Only The Shredder (as far as we know and that's not much) has a new race. But really, since when has it been mandatory that The Shredder, or even Splinter, be played by Japanese/Asian actors? Because to be real, it has rarely, if ever, happened before. At the very least, not in the way people are demanding now. He's been played mostly by black and white actors, but yet, no one *****ed in those occasions.

It may seem offensive that a white actor is playing the character but does it really matter when, in both cases, we don't really see the actor. Not at all with Splinter and the Turtles.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-22-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

The Shredder was Japanese in the original movie. Yes it does matter. It matters to his character. Are you going to tell me that William Fitchner's name is going to be "Oroku Saki?" Will that make any sense?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
The Shredder was Japanese in the original movie. Yes it does matter. It matters to his character. Are you going to tell me that William Fitchner's name is going to be "Oroku Saki?" Will that make any sense?
Would you rather him play that and be a glorified voice actor, OR, would you prefer he be Colonel Schrader?

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I'd rather them stop this movie in its tracks. Is that an option?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
I'd rather them stop this movie in its tracks. Is that an option?
No. and neither is him not playing him period.

This movie is happening and he's playing The Shredder.

So again, would you rather him play a "faceless" Oroku Saki Shredder OR would you rather him be the race accurate Colonel Schrader?

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
No. and neither is him not playing him period.

This movie is happening and he's playing The Shredder.

So again, would you rather him play a "faceless" Oroku Saki Shredder OR would you rather him be the race accurate Colonel Schrader?
lol. -_- you ask me this question in which I don't care about the answer.

I'd say Colonel Schrader. Might as well make this movie as ridiculous as possible to discourage any sequels. Kinda like a parody! I'll go in prepared to laugh.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I have to say I really like Fitchner and the movies I've seen him in, but there is nothing about the Schrader and the Foot being black ops military that is appealing. It should have been thrown out wholesale. I can deal with Fitchner being Shredder, but not the Schrader concept.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #35
venom892
Got Lucky

Does anyone really think they hired Fitchner and they are going to hide his face the entire film? That's delusional. Any hope of this being Oruku Saki is dead. Get ready for the next Barakapool people.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I have to say I really like Fitchner and the movies I've seen him in, but there is nothing about the Schrader and the Foot being black ops military that is appealing. It should have been thrown out wholesale. I can deal with Fitchner being Shredder, but not the Schrader concept.
That' my point. It doesn't improve on the original concept, and kinda strips it of it's uniqueness and pulp nature.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
Does anyone really think they hired Fitchner and they are going to hide his face the entire film? That's delusional. Any hope of this being Oruku Saki is dead. Get ready for the next Barakapool people.
Fichter isn't an A-list actor. Most people don't even know his name. If Tom Hardy can cover his face for an entire film, I don't see any reason to believe that Fichter can't.

Da-Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
Fichter isn't an A-list actor. Most people don't even know his name. If Tom Hardy can cover his face for an entire film, I don't see any reason to believe that Fichter can't.
Exactly.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I think the last Movie I remember him in was TDK. Being gunned down by the Joker.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #40
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

i hope you guys are right and it is classic shredder but truthfully i have no hope. i know the defenders like to cry bay is only producing but this thing has his finger prints all over.

the change serves no purpose, doesnt enhance the character or bring anything new to the table

its the ultrom ******** all over again

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

At least Shredder was an ultimate badass before the Utrom reveal. I fear we might not even get that.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
The only time he has ever been played by an asian is the second movie. Yeah the Shredder looked cool in the first two movies but he did absolutely nothing in them. Let's not pretend he was this big martial arts master either, he did a few kicks and jumps to defeat the turtles and then "died" in one of the biggest facepalming deaths ever. Fichtner will rock the roll good although if this Colonel Schreder stuff is true than bleh that just reaks of badness
And what does this mean? That Oruku Saki can't be played by a respective Japanese actor? Not to mention that "Colonel" and Black Ops "Foot" crap.

Just because the old movies had some wrong things going on, I don't have to deal with a mediocrity in the new one.

Quote:

What baffles my mind is why on earth couldn't the turtle actors consist of black and asian races since they will be cgi. I guess according to Bay's way of thinking, the world is home of White Caucasian males and Megan Fox clones. And himself of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #43
Casius--J
Web Master

Yeah and I'm out. He's a great actor, I loved in in Prison Break but to me he's just not The Shredder.

It seems like they're going to keep the whole General Shraeder storyline from the original script. I was suspicious when I first saw the photo of "The Foot" in military clothing, this to me confirms it.

Looks like I saved myself some money

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Well, I'm gonna get out these threads until we get something confirming or denying "our" worries. This probably won't be until SDCC when we get our first official look at the movie.

I still have alot of hope for this movie and I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-22-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Quote:
I honestly know many "white" people who were both born in and have traditional Japanese names. Being Japanese is like being an American.... it's about where you live not what you look like.

Now I'd rather they of gotten a native Japanese actor, but I am not going to let this casting news ruin the film for me. A bad script will though.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #46
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
I wonder why they are white washing this cast...

I hate to say it, but part of me is kind of feeling this vibe too. First Splinter, then The Foot, now Shredder (although I can totally see how it can work for Splinter since pretty much only two Asian actors have ever portrayed him - and that's only voice acting). It's a silly comparison but it actually kind of reminds me of the character of Feng in Balls of Thunder, in which Christopher Walken played an "Asian" villain. Obviously it was the film's big joke, but it does seem a bit silly to give the Shredder that same kind of treatment. Yes, he IS Oroku Saki; there's no way around that. Then again, I'd totally rather have a white American actor play the Shredder than go the Colonel Shraeder route. Bleh.

Quote:
I still have alot of hope for this movie and I'm not ready to give up on it yet.
I too want to give this film the benefit of the doubt. Despite all the negativity surrounding this movie, it still has peaked my curiosity. Now, if the teaser looks god awful, then yeah, I probably won't bother. But I'll be patient 'till then.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #47
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra Cain View Post
I hate to say it, but part of me is kind of feeling this vibe too. First Splinter, then The Foot, now Shredder (although I can totally see how it can work for Splinter since pretty much only two Asian actors have ever portrayed him - and that's only voice acting). It's a silly comparison but it actually kind of reminds me of the character of Feng in Balls of Thunder, in which Christopher Walken played an "Asian" villain. Obviously it was the film's big joke, but it does seem a bit silly to give the Shredder that same kind of treatment. Yes, he IS Oroku Saki; there's no way around that. Then again, I'd totally rather have a white American actor play the Shredder than go the Colonel Shraeder route. Bleh.

I too want to give this film the benefit of the doubt. Despite all the negativity surrounding this movie, it still has peaked my curiosity. Now, if the teaser looks god awful, then yeah, I probably won't bother. But I'll be patient 'till then.
Amen to that!

Plus, if need be, they could retcon it to where he was born and raised in Japan to a military family. Yeah it would've been simpler to just cast an asian actor. but still. There ARE ways around them casting a white actor. Anything is better Colonel Schrader crap. EVEN CH'RELL!

And as far as Splinter goes, its the same for Shredder. He's only ever been played by an Asian actor a few times (the original TMNT movies; The Next Mutation), he was voiced by a white guy in those!

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #48
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

As far as his name being "Oroku Saki" it could just be a name he adopts. It doesn't have to be his real name.

Hell, his real name could be Schrader as long as they don't use that "Shape shifting alien from Dimension X" crap.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #49
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
And as far as Splinter goes, its the same for Shredder. He's only ever been played by an Asian actor a few times (the original TMNT movies; The Next Mutation), he was voiced by a white guy in those!
Kevin Clash: Best Splinter voice ever!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #50
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra Cain View Post
Kevin Clash: Best Splinter voice ever!
Agreed! I wish he could come back, but that's never gonna happen considering his recent controversies.

#Hypsters4Sawyer