The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Zod is Better??
Terence Stamp 30 22.22%
Michael Shannon 84 62.22%
Both equal 21 15.56%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #76
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Okay....Which Zod is Better??

^ MOS is practically Jor-El's movie. It's almost as if they rewrote the script to accommodate Russel

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #77
Shazam
Side-Kick

Shannon killed Jor-ell.......he wins for being the most vicious!!

Shannon also wins for a least "looking like he's in the military and not like Black Beard the Pirate or Douglas Fairbanks! LOL

http://www.flicksandbits.com/wp-cont...on-artwork.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/villains/ima...nnon-Zod-2.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...KHSFhznvMDkc6w

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #78
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ MOS is practically Jor-El's movie. It's almost as if they rewrote the script to accommodate Russel
So which Zod is better for you??

Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #79
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
That would make more sense if he was losing the poll.
But who knows what the poll would look like in a couple years time, but right now your statement doesn't make sense.
Its basically down to fad voting. MOS is the cool new Toy and was the first Superman film to show off Post Crisis elements, so people are all over it.

And like someone else said...its cool now to have "Complex" and "deep" villains. If you're playing a villain that dosen't have an element of "My cat died, so please have a little sympathy for me", you're written off.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #80
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Shannon.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #81
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Its basically down to fad voting. MOS is the cool new Toy and was the first Superman film to show off Post Crisis elements, so people are all over it.

And like someone else said...its cool now to have "Complex" and "deep" villains. If you're playing a villain that dosen't have an element of "My cat died, so please have a little sympathy for me", you're written off.
Some really substantive reasons have been given by quite a few people on why they like Shannon over Stamp's Zod. How can you try to diminish their opinions as a fad??

They could say that yours is a toy you never grew out of.....your own Teddy bear,as it were.....

Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #82
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Some really substantive reasons have been given by quite a few people on why they like Shannon over Stamp's Zod. How can you try to diminish their opinions as a fad??
...You mean the same way you tried to diminish Stamp fans in your first post?

I won't deny that some legit prefer Shannon to Stamp....I still think there's fad voting going on regardless. This board in general (for obvious reasons) has a higher opinion on MOS than others do. Like someone else said, it'd be nice to see how the General Audience feels, not a board dominated by people who have developed resentment for Donner's Superman and anything related to it.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-23-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #83
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
...You mean the same way you tried to diminish Stamp fans in your first post?

I won't deny that some legit prefer Shannon to Stamp....I still think there's still fad voting going on regardless. This board in general (for obvious reasons) has a higher opinion on MOS than others do. Like someone else said, it'd be nice to see how the General Audience feels, not a board dominated by people who have developed resentment for Donner's Superman and anything related to it.
I didn't call it a fad. I gave reasons why.....oh well ....whatever.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #84
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:

Very true.I don't really need every villain to have some deep philosophical reason for his goals.I mean,it works very well that way sometimes.But not every villain needs a sob story.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #85
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Very true.I don't really need every villain to have some deep philosophical reason for his goals.I mean,it works very well that way sometimes.But not every villain needs a sob story.
To be honest, I'm kinda annoyed that every critic/filmmaker/fanboy pretty much demands that ALL villlains be like that nowadays.

It's why so many current blockbuster villains seem like they're ripping a page out of the Heath Ledger playbook.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #86
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Kneel before Zod.
(one of the most iconic lines in cinematic history never mind simply Superman)

Why do you say this to me when you know I will kill you for it?

I see you are practiced in worshipping things that fly, good.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #87
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Heath Ledgers Joker didn't have any deep philosophical reasons for his goals he simply did things to cause chaos because he enjoyed the unpredictability of everything. As he says in the film he's not a man with a plan.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #88
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Heath Ledgers Joker didn't have any deep philosophical reasons for his goals he simply did things to cause chaos because he enjoyed the unpredictability of everything. As he says in the film he's not a man with a plan.
He's lying. That character is always planning. What makes him scary is his meticulousness and his dedication. Notice that after he escapes the jail, the next time we see him he doesn't look so disheveled anymore. His clothes aren't torn, his makeup has been re-applied, etc. It's those moments the character is off camera that he's putting his plans into motion. His dedication to causing mayhem rivals Bruce's dedication to stopping it.

Joker is always on the job. The makeup, the flamboyance... it's all an act. It's a mask, like Bruce's. The real Joker is the one who's standing in the middle of the street begging Batman to run him over with his bike. He wasn't putting on a show for anyone there. That was the only point in the film we got a glimpse of the man behind the makeup.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #89
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
He's lying. That character is always planning. What makes him scary is his meticulousness and his dedication. Notice that after he escapes the jail, the next time we see him he doesn't look so disheveled anymore. His clothes aren't torn, his makeup has been re-applied, etc. It's those moments the character is off camera that he's putting his plans into motion. His dedication to causing mayhem rivals Bruce's dedication to stopping it.

Joker is always on the job. The makeup, the flamboyance... it's all an act. It's a mask, like Bruce's. The real Joker is the one who's standing in the middle of the street begging Batman to run him over with his bike. He wasn't putting on a show for anyone there. That was the only point in the film we got a glimpse of the man behind the makeup.
I get what you're saying and I agree he dies have sone semblance of a plan but its always changing he's not one to stuck to even his own plans. It's evident in moments where he wants Batman's identity revealed then when it's about to happen he switches plans.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #90
Kevin Smith
Banned User

They're two completely different characters. No comparison. Michael Shannon wasn't playing the Terrance Stamp General Zod.

I enjoyed Terrance Stamp's performance, I thought he was great.

I really loved Michael Shannon in Man of Steel. He was 80% of my enjoyment with that movie, and, although the "dialogue" (more like "speeches") for many of the characters was not great, his character had some of the best lines. Michael Shannon was simply fantastic.

That being said, I'm not sure how I should vote. Both were great in their performances. It'd be easier to just pick a favorite, but as to who is better? You can't really say since they aren't playing the same characters but in name only.

Apples to oranges.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 06-23-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #91
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Well think about this for a second. In your eyes, who's scarier. A renegade general who wanted to better serve his people or a guy who flat out wanted to be supreme ruler of all things.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #92
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't know about scarier, but that certainly makes Shannon Zod more interesting.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #93
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I don't know about scarier, but that certainly makes Shannon Zod more interesting.
Well it was definitely an attempt to make him more layered, that I'll concede. But that doesn't make Shannon's Zod better by default. It goes beyond just character conception. Simply put I don't think Shannon's character had the presence of Stamp's. I just don't see fans referencing Shannon several years down the line like they do Stamp. Not once during MOS did I think to myself that I was witnessing one of the all time great villains. There was just nothing distinct or memorable about the character that propels him beyond the countless other movie villains out there.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #94
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ Great Post. Sums it up perfectly.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #95
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I have a feeling that Faora will leave a more lasting impression.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #96
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I prefer Shannon but Stamp's has one of my favourite lines in any CBM:

"I see you are practiced in worshiping things that fly."

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #97
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well it was definitely an attempt to make him more layered, that I'll concede. But that doesn't make Shannon's Zod better by default. It goes beyond just character conception. Simply put I don't think Shannon's character had the presence of Stamp's. I just don't see fans referencing Shannon several years down the line like they do Stamp. Not once during MOS did I think to myself that I was witnessing one of the all time great villains. There was just nothing distinct or memorable about the character that propels him beyond the countless other movie villains out there.
Yep. Stamp's is more intimidating, Shannon is more deep.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #98
DarkSentinel
9/8/14 - Never Forget

I'm going to have to tip my hat to Shannon, who gave such a nuanced and believable performance. While Stamp's Zod is a classic villain there was really no motive other than "I win! I always win..." (at least that's how I look at it). Shannon's Zod was extremely cool and composed, and his "turn" was among the best I've seen thus far.

*T*
DarkSentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #99
DarkSentinel
9/8/14 - Never Forget

Quote:
Oh yeah?

If you love these posts so much....you can MOURN for them!!

*T*
DarkSentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #100
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote