The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #126
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter back for Cap 2!

You simply can't say any of that with any certainty. Vancamp is a great actress, and we don't know how long Revenge will be on air. Plus, it only films for part of the year, there's plenty of time for her to shoot other things.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #127
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Why?

Sorry, I've been on vacation.

1. First and foremost, I don't think EVC is a strong enough actress to both make Sharon both a unique character AND a potential love interest. She's too young, too girlish, as well.

2. Hayley set the standard for Steve Rogers love interests, and frankly, they're going to have a very hard time topping what she accomplished with that character.

3. Sharon Carter simply isn't a very compelling comic book character when you get down to the nuts and bolts. As others have pointed out, Cap doesn't have a really great series of leading ladies in the comics, either.

4. The movie is already very full of actors and storylines, so the chance she might be given some red meat to work with, is very small.

5. Steve has too much unfinished business with the past, which the audience is waiting to see resolved, to begin any new relationship--and it's never going to have the poignancy and bittersweet aura of his WWII relationships.

Look, the first film has Joss Whedon written all over it. I can tell his writing and story sensibilities immediately. I've been a fan for 20 years. That script, those characterizations, were pure Joss. I would love to have him with his hands deep into the guts of this film, but I think he's probably too busy with Ultron.

I'm nervous they're going to screw it up. The heart of the film is Cap's coming to grips with just what he's lost. It should tear out our hearts and stomp on them, to get it right. Evans can sell it, Stan can sell it. But EVC....not so sure.

Ksb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #128
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
Sorry, I've been on vacation.

1. First and foremost, I don't think EVC is a strong enough actress to both make Sharon both a unique character AND a potential love interest. She's too young, too girlish, as well.

2. Hayley set the standard for Steve Rogers love interests, and frankly, they're going to have a very hard time topping what she accomplished with that character.

3. Sharon Carter simply isn't a very compelling comic book character when you get down to the nuts and bolts. As others have pointed out, Cap doesn't have a really great series of leading ladies in the comics, either.

4. The movie is already very full of actors and storylines, so the chance she might be given some red meat to work with, is very small.

5. Steve has too much unfinished business with the past, which the audience is waiting to see resolved, to begin any new relationship--and it's never going to have the poignancy and bittersweet aura of his WWII relationships.

Look, the first film has Joss Whedon written all over it. I can tell his writing and story sensibilities immediately. I've been a fan for 20 years. That script, those characterizations, were pure Joss. I would love to have him with his hands deep into the guts of this film, but I think he's probably too busy with Ultron.

I'm nervous they're going to screw it up. The heart of the film is Cap's coming to grips with just what he's lost. It should tear out our hearts and stomp on them, to get it right. Evans can sell it, Stan can sell it. But EVC....not so sure.
1. I think EVC is a good actress and I know she can pull off a role like this. Marvel have not made casting mistakes as of yet.

2. She's not even a main character. If Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes) didn't ruin BB, I don't understand how EVC will ruin this movie. To be honest, the leading lady is most likely going to be Natasha.

3. They don't have to focus on his relationship with Sharon that much in this movie.

4. Well, Chris said in one interview (I don't have the link) that Joss might look over the script. Plus, I doubt Joss had that much to do with TFA.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #129
MysticRain
Side-Kick

I think EVC role will be minor and will have very little impact on the film. Sure, they'll set her up for POTENTIAL future storylines but that does not mean they'll definitely go there. They have done this for so many characters; so far they have not followed through with most. Bucky/TWS is like the big exception.

As for EVC as an actress, I would put her in the same category as Cobie Smulders. I have seen their work before they joined MCU (HIMYM, Brothers & Sisters, some Revenge). Neither really left any impression on me, they tend to stay in the 'safe' zone, imo. That's not a bad thing by all mean.

Hayley, on the other hand, I've never seen her other projects but she has this undescribable spark (charisma?) that make you take notice. Evans, ScarJo, Stan, Mackie, SLJ, Grillo, and Redford possess that as well. So the film is in good hands even if only half of these guys manage to project that on to this film.

Last edited by MysticRain; 08-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.
MysticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #130
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
1. I think EVC is a good actress and I know she can pull off a role like this. Marvel have not made casting mistakes as of yet.
I beg to differ. Although they have done a very good job in general with their casting, Natalie Portman stands out to me as a rather poor choice of a Jane Foster, for instance.

It sounds so mean, but I just find myself so...underwhelmed by EVC. Maybe she'll surprise me. That would be nice, actually.

Quote:
4. Well, Chris said in one interview (I don't have the link) that Joss might look over the script. Plus, I doubt Joss had that much to do with TFA.
Joss is very modest. He did an uncredited rewrite of that entire script (TFA).

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #131
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

Joss is very modest. He did an uncredited rewrite of that entire script (TFA).

Do you have a source for that claim or is that your assumption? The only parts of TFA that I felt were Whedon-influenced were the scenes with Col. Phillips, where perhaps he punched up the dialogue. The great bulk of it, including the Steve/Peggy relationship, felt quite unique and different from Whedon's typical writing.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #132
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Re-write doesn't mean he changed a lot necessarily. Not like for Avengers where he was the main writer and I think re-wrote basically everything Penn did with the film.

I mean for Avengers, did they keep any of Zak Penn's script?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #133
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Re-write doesn't mean he changed a lot necessarily. Not like for Avengers where he was the main writer and I think re-wrote basically everything Penn did with the film.

Whedon specifically said he started from scratch on Avengers, so no. I guess Penn got a credit because it was the same basic story Marvel was planning on all along, and Penn wrote it first.

I know I've read that Joss did a polish on the CA:TFA script, but I don't think it was a full-on re-write. I think in an interview he said it was just to make sure the character beats would be consistent with his version of the character in TA.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #134
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

It's pretty disrespectful to assign credit over CATFA to Whedon.

The writers of CATFA, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, have written the script to CATWS, making them the only writers to pen a sequel to a movie they also wrote. They've also done work on Thor 2, so Marvel clearly values their talents.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #135
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

From GQ magazine:

"There was a script," Whedon acknowledges. "There just wasn't a script I was going to film a word of." (Reached for comment, Penn says he was a little disappointed by Whedon's decision to take over. "We could have collaborated more, but that was not his choice. He wanted to do it his way, and I respect that. I mean, it's not like on the Hulk, where I got replaced by the lead actor," he says, referring to Edward Norton's infamous decision to install himself as lead screenwriter on that film. "That was an unusual one. This was more normal."

Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #136
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
From GQ magazine:

"There was a script," Whedon acknowledges. "There just wasn't a script I was going to film a word of." (Reached for comment, Penn says he was a little disappointed by Whedon's decision to take over. "We could have collaborated more, but that was not his choice. He wanted to do it his way, and I respect that. I mean, it's not like on the Hulk, where I got replaced by the lead actor," he says, referring to Edward Norton's infamous decision to install himself as lead screenwriter on that film. "That was an unusual one. This was more normal."
I don't know how Hack Penn keeps getting work. I cringe every time I see his name in the screenwriter credits.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #137
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
It's pretty disrespectful to assign credit over CATFA to Whedon.
LOL. I am sure they are crying themselves all the way to the bank.

Quote:
The writers of CATFA, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, have written the script to CATWS, making them the only writers to pen a sequel to a movie they also wrote. They've also done work on Thor 2, so Marvel clearly values their talents.
Well, since the word on the street is that THOR2 is a mess, you might want to hold that praise.

Last edited by Ksb36; 08-01-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #138
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well, since the word on the street is that THOR2 is a mess, you might want to hold that praise.

I thought that had more to do with shooting.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #139
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

I thought that had more to do with shooting.
yeah the rumored Thor 2 issues have nothing to do with it's script/writing

There is a couple re shoots because Jamie was injured, some pick ups. and argument over runtime between Marvel and Taylor

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #140
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

Quote:

The quality of Thor 2 isn't the issue. The point is that they've been brought back to work in more movies, while no other writers have.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #141
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
The quality of Thor 2 isn't the issue. The point is that they've been brought back to work in more movies, while no other writers have.
They apparently are polishing the script for GotG.

Either way, Joss Whedon is going to act as a creative consultant for all the Phase 2 movies leading up to TA2.

Last edited by Ms. Marvel; 08-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #142
Lorus
Side-Kick

When it comes to Whedon's influence on TFA, I will eat every one of my Whedon related DVDs and comics if the scene in which Peggy accompanies Steve to the operation rebirth lab wasn't written by him. I can't remember any other scenes of the top of my head that sounded like him but that one was pure Whedon. It would actually be an interesting exercise to go through the film and try to pick up on different narrative voices.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #143
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
From GQ magazine:

That still doesn't answer the question of why you claimed that Whedon completely rewrote the script for CA:TFA. You still have not cited a source for that. If he did as much work as you claim he did, the rules of the Screenwriters' Guild would probably have kicked in and required that he be given credit for the finished product. It's a union. Modesty isn't part of the rulebook.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #144
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That still doesn't answer the question of why you claimed that Whedon completely rewrote the script for CA:TFA. You still have not cited a source for that. If he did as much work as you claim he did, the rules of the Screenwriters' Guild would probably have kicked in and required that he be given credit for the finished product. It's a union. Modesty isn't part of the rulebook.
This isn't necessarily true. The Screenwriter's Guild seem to have weird rules about what deserves credit. Hence Penn getting a story credit on Avengers despite his script being entirely unused. For a more relevant example, the credited writer of Speed has openly said that Whedon wrote close to 90% of all the dialogue in that film and yet he received no credit. I think it's fairly common to do extensive work on a script and receive no credit in Hollywood.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #145
HunBoy
Captain Hungary

Sorry for my english (this is very bad) but I have a question:
Who there is on "Agent Carter" post credit scene? Please send private message for me! Thanks!

HunBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #146
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Naive much? Tell that to Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke because they rewrote the entire Before Sunrise script and received zero credit for that. That's just one example that I read recently.

From the NYT: “Before Sunrise” was written by Linklater and Kim Krizan before Hawke and Delpy were cast. The intention was to make the central relationship feel as natural as possible, so after Linklater cast his actors, the three rewrote the film together. (Delpy and Hawke got no screenwriting credit, which still irks her.)

Everybody knows Joss wrote 90% of the dialogue in Speed and all the good action, and got no screenwriting credit. What has Graham Yost done that has ever approached that film in terms of economy of action, dialogue and suspense? Not a whole lot.

Find me one example of ANYTHING Mssrs. McFeeley and Marcus did previously that was remotely anywhere as good as TFA. I tried to watch Narnia, but my god, what a slog. It should be marketed as the most incredible sleep aid available this side of my college engineering text books.

Joss is nothing if not a good soldier. I read in one interview that he stated he wrote a lot of 1940's dialogue, which was fun for him. My guess is that the framework of the film stayed the same but he was brought in to punch up most of the dialogue. I would estimate that 60% of TFA is in Joss's voice.

Now you can dispute that all you want, but I know the man's sensibilities, and his finger prints are all over Cap's journey in the first film. So by all means, continue to feel slighted on behalf of Mssrs. McFeeley and Marcus. I am sure it matters a great deal to them.

Not.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #147
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Is that your way of saying you have no proof, and are just making stuff up?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #148
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Is that your way of saying you have no proof, and are just making stuff up?
LOL. Well, if it makes you feel better to think that, who am I to argue?

I stated my reasons, and GLEANINGS from the zillion interviews I have read over the last twenty years. Feel free to disagree.

But where is YOUR evidence that M&M (oh, I like the sound of that) is capable of producing a script on their own anywhere NEAR the level of quality of TFA?

I await your scintillating reply. Actually, not really.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #149
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

I stated my reasons, and GLEANINGS from the zillion interviews I have read over the last twenty years. Feel free to disagree.

But where is YOUR evidence that M&M (oh, I like the sound of that) is capable of producing a script on their own anywhere NEAR the level of quality of TFA?

It's not like it got critical acclaim or anything. Some may argue that their Narnia script (the first one) is better than the script for TFA. They did get similar audience and critical reception after all.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #150
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:

You seem to think I need to prove something. Their names are the one listed. You are the one grabbing things from thin air, not me. You are literally making something up. Now it maybe true, but you have no way of actually proving that. Thus your argument is disprove what you yourself cannot proof.

If anything, Feige must have been satisfied with their work. He just gave them two more films to write.