View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #551
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - - Part 12

I wouldn't be surprised if WW has the most auditions for any superhero role.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #552
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Just got around to watching the DC animated WW movie, and damn... That is how you do it!

The whole script is tight as. I had to find out who wrote it. Wasn't surprised to find out it was Gail Simone. Seriously that entire story structure and even the dialogue is completely translatable to live action film. It has everything. Every element a major film adaption would need. And it would be far far more epic than Thor, or any of the Marvel movies really.

And Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor was inspired. They should just keep that casting for the film! His back and forth with Diana was alot of fun.

I'm just in shock. That's got to easily be the best DC Animation movie, right? Better than New Frontier I though. Plus they really didn't hold back with the death, blood, innuendo, alcohol.

I was just imagining whilst I was watching how epic some of those scenes would look under Zack Snyder's vision.

The only thing I'd really change, is I'd rather have the modernized look to the gods similar to how Azarello has re-imagined them to look in our times. I'm also curious to see what Grant Morrison has in store with Wonder Woman: Earth One, where he says he has re-imagined the look of the Amazons and the technology they have after 3000 years alone.

Question: What was the deal with the Invisible Jet? That kind of came out of nowhere and was never explained.

And WW couldn't fly. I think I'd like her to fly in her cinematic debut.
It's definitely my favourite.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #553
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Do I want to start the flying/invisible jet conversation?

Nah.

Quote:
Just got around to watching the DC animated WW movie, and damn... That is how you do it!

The whole script is tight as. I had to find out who wrote it. Wasn't surprised to find out it was Gail Simone. Seriously that entire story structure and even the dialogue is completely translatable to live action film. It has everything. Every element a major film adaption would need. And it would be far far more epic than Thor, or any of the Marvel movies really.

And Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor was inspired. They should just keep that casting for the film! His back and forth with Diana was alot of fun.

I'm just in shock. That's got to easily be the best DC Animation movie, right? Better than New Frontier I though. Plus they really didn't hold back with the death, blood, innuendo, alcohol.

I was just imagining whilst I was watching how epic some of those scenes would look under Zack Snyder's vision.

The only thing I'd really change, is I'd rather have the modernized look to the gods similar to how Azarello has re-imagined them to look in our times. I'm also curious to see what Grant Morrison has in store with Wonder Woman: Earth One, where he says he has re-imagined the look of the Amazons and the technology they have after 3000 years alone.

Question: What was the deal with the Invisible Jet? That kind of came out of nowhere and was never explained.

And WW couldn't fly. I think I'd like her to fly in her cinematic debut.
The screenwriter, Michael Jelenic, says in the commentary that they thought about explaining the invisible jet but that it would get too complicated. They were going to include a line about how they used technology from the alien race the Lansarians (taken from the comics) to mimic Steve's plane but then, as you can see, it got too complicated. So they just wanted the audience to either accept it or not because explaining it would open up another can of worms.

But without any explanation at all it does stick out and seem a incongruous to everything else about the Amazons in the movie.

I think the reason she doesn't fly is because the director was talking about how she isn't a magical character in their version (though she still was born from clay and has a magic lasso) so they just toned down the magic a bit. So she doesn't fly or spin etc.

You're right, the movie does have a great structure for live action, though of course they could fill in more and expand on a lot of things. From life on the island to what WW does once she leaves with Steve, and the state of the world and how she affects it and deals with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
It could happen. Chris Evans played Torch and Captain America. Ray Stevenson played Punisher and Volstagg.

When the time comes, the doors will be open for anyone interested in the part. They don't cast the way fans cast. Auditions are important.
The difference there is that Chris Evans' character in Fantastic Four isn't connected to his role in Captain America. And Stevenson's Punisher was not part of the build up to the Avengers. Fantastic Four is being rebooted. The old FF movies with Evans are not part of the shared Marvel universe of Captain America and The Avengers. The Superman and Wonder Woman movies are (hopefully) connected in a shared universe, and the plan is for them to show up together in a Justice League movie. So their respective movies can't have actors taking on other roles in each other's movies. It's really going against the idea of a shared universe.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 07-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #554
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

CONTINUITY is OVERRATED :P

Old 07-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #555
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Maybe in your messed up world -of which I do not wish to know! Good day, sir

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #556
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I don't care the year or the connection between stories as long as they are good

If continuity stands in the way of something great, then let's throw it out

Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #557
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post

The screenwriter, Michael Jelenic, says in the commentary that they thought about explaining the invisible jet but that it would get too complicated. They were going to include a line about how they used technology from the alien race the Lansarians (taken from the comics) to mimic Steve's plane but then, as you can see, it got too complicated. So they just wanted the audience to either accept it or not because explaining it would open up another can of worms.

But without any explanation at all it does stick out and seem a incongruous to everything else about the Amazons in the movie.

I think the reason she doesn't fly is because the director was talking about how she isn't a magical character in their version (though she still was born from clay and has a magic lasso) so they just toned down the magic a bit. So she doesn't fly or spin etc.

You're right, the movie does have a great structure for live action, though of course they could fill in more and expand on a lot of things. From life on the island to what WW does once she leaves with Steve, and the state of the world and how she affects it and deals with it..
I like the idea of having The Invisible Plane but its camouflage technology rather than magic and its a prototype that Steve is given to test it.

Diana should be able to fly but only after she becomes Wonder Woman and enters Mans World.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #558
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Her invisible jet isn't that cool anymore, and I certainly don't want to see her dependent on it for flight. It's a jet with stealth cloaking. It's not as original or necessary as it was before.

Last edited by fanboiii; 07-13-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #559
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwo View Post
Diana should be able to fly but only after she becomes Wonder Woman and enters Mans World.
Why only after?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #560
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why only after?
I think Diana shouldn't have the powers like flight aside from the exceptional fighting skills before she leaves the island, it would be better if she discovers during a battle with Deimos that she can fly which she uses to her advantage.

I wouldn't mind if the plane doesn't feature but a nod to it would be fun, maybe have the US military talking about their new technologies and Steve quips: 'what's next, an invisible plane.'

Another thing I wonder is how they will portray the Diana/Hippolyta relationship, I thought MoS handled Jor-el and Jonathan Kent well and I think the mother/daughter relationship should play a part, maybe keep the fact that Diana is the daughter of Zeus but Hipppolyta has kept it secret from her, telling her that she was brought alive by the gods.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #561
mhenshaw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Because neither they, nor any other studio, have cast the same actor to play two unrelated roles in the same blockbuster story.
Marvel is the first studio I can think of that has tried to have such an extensive "shared universe" where multiple movies featuring multiple different characters in their own solo films have been brought together into a single blockbuster film. The only other such shared universe I can even think of is Aliens/Predators and joining those two was clearly a cash grab, not a long range plan.

That said, Marvel cast Chris Evans as both Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four and Steve Rogers in Captain America; and Evans had far more face time in FF before getting cast in Captain America than Antje had as Faora in MoS. Admittedly, FF hasn't been referenced in any other Marvel movies since, but they haven't claimed that it's a different universe. And Marvel clearly wasn't worried that people would think Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers were somehow related.

Last edited by mhenshaw; 07-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #562
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

But FF is being rebooted.

I don't understand why you guys deny my vision of WW, it's utter perfection and you all know it.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #563
Jonwo
Side-Kick

I've been thinking about who would a suitable composer to score a Wonder Woman film and my top three would be James Horner who did the scores for Titanic, Avatar and The Amazing Spider-Man, Ramin Djawadi who recently scored Pacific Rim but has also done the scores for Iron Man and Games of Thrones and James Newton Howard who co-composed the first two Dark Knight films with Hans Zimmer and has also done the scores for The Hunger Games, I Am Legend etc I would love to hear a Wonder Woman theme that becomes synonymous with the character just like John Williams Superman theme or to a lesser extent Klaus Badelts He's a Pirate.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #564
MR Black
Side-Kick

Quote:
Her invisible jet is that cool anymore, and I certainly don't want to see her dependent on it for flight. It's a jet with stealth cloaking. It's not as original or necessary as it was before.
I might be in the minority but I kind of like the invisible jet. It would kind of interesting to see her fly to other planets and and interact with its A.I.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #565
mhenshaw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
But FF is being rebooted.
Yes, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that Marvel still cast Evans as Captain America after he'd already played a different--and very prominent--Marvel character. *Nobody* had a problem with it.

And Faora isn't nearly as prominent in the DC universe as Johnny Storm is in the Marvel universe. So there's precedent for believing that nobody would have a serious issue with Antje playing Faora (minor character) and WW (major character), especially if Faora isn't going to show up again...which she probably won't.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #566
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenshaw View Post
...but they haven't claimed that it's a different universe.
Probably because they didn't think they had to. And why would they?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #567
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Yes, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that Marvel still cast Evans as Captain America after he'd already played a different--and very prominent--Marvel character. *Nobody* had a problem with it.

And Faora isn't nearly as prominent in the DC universe as Johnny Storm is in the Marvel universe. So there's precedent for believing that nobody would have a serious issue with Antje playing Faora (minor character) and WW (major character), especially if Faora isn't going to show up again...which she probably won't.
Oh I see, you were talking about before the announcement of a reboot.

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 07-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #568
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Black View Post
I might be in the minority but I kind of like the invisible jet. It would kind of interesting to see her fly to other planets and and interact with its A.I.
That doesn't sound like Wonder Woman at all. It sounds more like Green Lantern.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #569
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

How about this for her bracelets, they are made of a special (Hephestus created) metal that is
magnetized. So instead of her having perfect moves that block the bullets each time it can be
reasoned that she gets hear the area and the bullets get attracted to the bracelets, but as soon as
they hit them they get a negative charge and bounce off.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #570
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Marvel is the first studio I can think of that has tried to have such an extensive "shared universe" where multiple movies featuring multiple different characters in their own solo films have been brought together into a single blockbuster film. The only other such shared universe I can even think of is Aliens/Predators and joining those two was clearly a cash grab, not a long range plan.

That said, Marvel cast Chris Evans as both Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four and Steve Rogers in Captain America; and Evans had far more face time in FF before getting cast in Captain America than Antje had as Faora in MoS. Admittedly, FF hasn't been referenced in any other Marvel movies since, but they haven't claimed that it's a different universe. And Marvel clearly wasn't worried that people would think Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers were somehow related.
Because the Fantastic Four franchise is not part of the Marvel/Disney Avengers. The rights to FF are owned by 20th Century Fox, who release the FF movies, separately. Marvel/Disney do not own Spider-Man and X-Men rights either. Other studios do. So of course there is no reference to FF in the Avengers shared universe. It is its own separate thing.

That is a different situation to WB having the rights to all these DC characters and trying to make them connected in a shared universe in a build up to the Justice League.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 07-14-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #571
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Right!?! That's why it baffles me at how hard it is for WB to get a good script when adapting the DTV and making some subtle changes would make perfect sense. And nothing about WW was complicated to understand in that movie.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #572
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
How about this for her bracelets, they are made of a special (Hephestus created) metal that is
magnetized. So instead of her having perfect moves that block the bullets each time it can be
reasoned that she gets hear the area and the bullets get attracted to the bracelets, but as soon as
they hit them they get a negative charge and bounce off.
But that takes away from her skill at knowing how to deflect these bullets. She is supposed to have won a contest because she was the best at deflecting bullets with her bracelets. Why wouldn't she be precise?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #573
MR Black
Side-Kick

Quote:
That doesn't sound like Wonder Woman at all. It sounds more like Green Lantern.
Well maybe, but you could say that about a lot of superheroes. Plus Green Latern has that ring and sometimes can be a arrogant jerk.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #574
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Ah so many DC Animated Films that would be great live-action films. Green Lantern: First Flight and Wonder Woman, especially.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #575
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwo View Post
I think Diana shouldn't have the powers like flight aside from the exceptional fighting skills before she leaves the island, it would be better if she discovers during a battle with Deimos that she can fly which she uses to her advantage.

I wouldn't mind if the plane doesn't feature but a nod to it would be fun, maybe have the US military talking about their new technologies and Steve quips: 'what's next, an invisible plane.'

Another thing I wonder is how they will portray the Diana/Hippolyta relationship, I thought MoS handled Jor-el and Jonathan Kent well and I think the mother/daughter relationship should play a part, maybe keep the fact that Diana is the daughter of Zeus but Hipppolyta has kept it secret from her, telling her that she was brought alive by the gods.
I wouldn't mind if she found her powers increasing/learning more about her powers the more experience she has.

There is potential for great drama between Hippolyta and Diana. Even with Diana wanting to leave the island, and entering the contest in secret. To their conflicting attitudes about "Man's World".

There would def. be great drama if Hippolyta keeps the secret of Zeus being Diana's father. Provided they use that storyline. I am actually not quite sure which origin I think they should use- the original one or the New 52 one.

Closed Thread