The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #701
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Why u wanna set urself in the 'indifferent' mode, when u have not even watched it? ?? Do u think it's fair to yourself as a superman fan?
Well, maybe he was put off by some critisisms and negative reviews when the movie got out and he decided he wasn't fond of the decisions this movie made

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #702
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Well, maybe he was put off by some critisisms and negative reviews when the movie got out and he decided he wasn't fond of the decisions this movie made

There's nothing wrong with being put off by negative comments (although that means he's ignoring all the positive reviews, which outnumber the negative ones, if only by a little).

I expected to hate MOS, having been a huge fan of STM, and was pleasantly surprised when I ended up enjoying every minute of it.

Maybe he'll enjoy it, maybe he won't but until he sees it, he's got nothing to base any complaints on (this is a complaint thread) how can he say what he'd do differently, without knowing what the movie-makers did (except via second-hand information ) ?

It's like a person never trying vanilla ice cream, and then complaining about it, because a bunch of other people gave a bunch of reasons that they didn't like it.

Fair enough if he decides never to try it, that's a fair decision. But he can't then complain about it being bad, because he just doesn't know.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #703
eatup
Side-Kick

^ Anything below an 80% on RottenTomatoes is simply not worth my time. This may surprise some of you (well not really), but I have yet to watch Hobbit 1 & 2. Can you guess the reason(s) why?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Know which is the only movie the RT ratings got it all wrong? Speed Racer. How did I tell? There was one single critic that raved about it. That was the only review that had 10 comments with most of commenters backing up the reviewer... I love that movie man!

Just so you know, I don't just look at the RT score, I look at what others say about the scores as well before arriving at the decision to watch a movie... or not...

Last edited by eatup; 02-05-2014 at 01:25 PM.
eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #704
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post
^ Anything below an 80% on RottenTomatoes is simply not worth my time. This may surprise some of you (well not really), but I have yet to watch Hobbit 1 & 2. Can you guess the reason(s) why?

Know which is the only movie the RT ratings got it all wrong? Speed Racer. How did I tell? There was one single critic that raved about it. That was the only review that had 10 comments with most of commenters backing up the reviewer... I love that movie man!

Just so you know, I don't just look at the RT score, I look at what others say about the scores as well before arriving at the decision to watch a movie... or not...

Well there's something we agree on, I think Speed Racer was terribly misunderstood, and is actually a really enjoyable film - it's the classic hero's journey. It's about family, courage , the rise of corporate
greed and of course, really, really, really fast cars. Yes, it looks a bit like an acid trip, but I think people forgot it was the live action version of a cartoon -it's not meant to be realistic. If Formula 1 racing was more like
that, I'd actually watch it.

I used to base a lot of my movie choices on what Roger Ebert had to
say, but there are plenty of films he hated, that I really enjoyed
( Conan the Barbarian being one of them).

Anyway, still think you might give MOS a try. I fully expected to hate it (huge fan of Superman the Movie) but surprisingly ended up loving it.

Anyway, I apologize for my earlier sarcasm, and wish you the best of
luck with your future movie viewing.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #705
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:

But it worths your time to keep coming back to the forum of a film u think as time wasting???

Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #706
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

So in other words you have no opinion of your own.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #707
eatup
Side-Kick

^ Lol, how do you expect me to have an opinion on movies I haven't watched? My opinion on movies b4 I watch them is an opinion on other people's opinions...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #708
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ Lol, how do you expect me to have an opinion on movies I haven't watched? My opinion on movies b4 I watch them is an opinion on other people's opinions...
Sorry first.
But I think u r a phony. What's your username previously?

Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #709
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well its quite clear you can't make your own mind up. You won't watch a film because it isn't critically acclaimed. Feel sorry for you you've probably missed some amazing films. You do know a fair amount of critics have their own agendas when writing reviews don't you? So you can't always take the reviews as legit.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #710
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Well its quite clear you can't make your own mind up. You won't watch a film because it isn't critically acclaimed. Feel sorry for you you've probably missed some amazing films. You do know a fair amount of critics have their own agendas when writing reviews don't you? So you can't always take the reviews as legit.
Forget "agendas". Critics are just going to have different opinions than you yourself would have. There are plenty of panned or even down right hated films out there that I find high quality, or entertaining, or have and engaging or unique idea to them. If I just said "oh well, other people said XYZ about this movie. I will never watch it" then I'd have missed out on the enjoyment of many a film.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #711
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Forget "agendas". Critics are just going to have different opinions than you yourself would have. There are plenty of panned or even down right hated films out there that I find high quality, or entertaining, or have and engaging or unique idea to them. If I just said "oh well, other people said XYZ about this movie. I will never watch it" then I'd have missed out on the enjoyment of many a film.
Oh of course they do but I felt the need to state that some critics can be against films before they've even seen them etc.

But yeah you get it, if we only watched what critics wanted told us to watch we'd miss out on some amazing films.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #712
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post

But yeah you get it, if we only watched what critics wanted told us to watch we'd miss out on some amazing films.
Things are so subjective with peoples reaction to any kind of narrative art. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a film can speak to only one person in any given audience. But that one person may have a reaction to that movie in a way that is deep and profound to them.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #713
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Time to get back to the point of the thread. Personally, I thought Cavill did a lot of
his best work as Clark, as Superman he was good for the most part (I liked the interrogation room scene, it was the exact opposite of the Dark Knight interrogation scene) BUT a couple of lines could have been a bit better.

In particular that "You're trying to find out where I hang my cape...." line, not one that really worked. It was almost like Cavill was trying not to laugh. The follow up line
"I'm about as American as it gets" was much better. To be honest, there were many times where Superman said everything he needed to say....with a look. Like when he gets up after blasting Faora and Nam Ek, with heat vision -in the battle of Smallville - the look on his face says "Is that all you've got ?" no dialogue necessary.

So my complaint/change, and it's a minor one, is "don't try too hard with the dialogue." keep it as natural as possible, Cavill certainly captures the awesome presence of Superman, so go minimalist, the less said the better.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #714
smallville fan
Hero

Have any of you guys watched this video? He addresses common complaints about the movie and debunks most of them too. He even does a count of people saved in MOS compared to Superman: The Movie and guess what guys... Clark in MOS does nearly 4 times as many saves as Ol' Chris Reeve. So people can't really say that Superman didn't save anyone in the movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #715
The Guard
Side-Kick

Heh.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #716
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Time to get back to the point of the thread. Personally, I thought Cavill did a lot of
his best work as Clark, as Superman he was good for the most part (I liked the interrogation room scene, it was the exact opposite of the Dark Knight interrogation scene) BUT a couple of lines could have been a bit better.

In particular that "You're trying to find out where I hang my cape...." line, not one that really worked. It was almost like Cavill was trying not to laugh. The follow up line
"I'm about as American as it gets" was much better. To be honest, there were many times where Superman said everything he needed to say....with a look. Like when he gets up after blasting Faora and Nam Ek, with heat vision -in the battle of Smallville - the look on his face says "Is that all you've got ?" no dialogue necessary.

So my complaint/change, and it's a minor one, is "don't try too hard with the dialogue." keep it as natural as possible, Cavill certainly captures the awesome presence of Superman, so go minimalist, the less said the better.
then the complaint would be he has no dialogue. Is he mute?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #717
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Have any of you guys watched this video? He addresses common complaints about the movie and debunks most of them too. He even does a count of people saved in MOS compared to Superman: The Movie and guess what guys... Clark in MOS does nearly 4 times as many saves as Ol' Chris Reeve. So people can't really say that Superman didn't save anyone in the movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Really? I guess perception matters the most.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #718
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
then the complaint would be he has no dialogue. Is he mute?
Fair comment. I wouldn't complain, but some people surely would.

I'm not saying he shouldn't talk at all, but leave the talking to Clark Kent.
Superman is a man of action, he doesn't talk, he acts. All he has to do
is give somebody a look to let them know what he's thinking.

But that's just IMO.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #719
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Fair comment. I wouldn't complain, but some people surely would.

I'm not saying he shouldn't talk at all, but leave the talking to Clark Kent.
Superman is a man of action, he doesn't talk, he acts. All he has to do
is give somebody a look to let them know what he's thinking.

But that's just IMO.
I agree partially. Superman gotta console the scared citizens sometimes. U know like r u ok?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #720
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

I'd do a few things differently; much as I liked the movie, I did find it heavily flawed. But the few glaring things

I'd heavily rework the scene aboard the Black Zero. No Lois, no Jor-El. They have no reason to exist in that scene. It exists to introduce Superman and Zod, have Zod explain his plan to Superman, get Superman's blood to analyze and figure out the Codex is in him and set-up the resolution with the Phantom drive. Neither Lois or Jor-El are needed for that. Instead Superman gets on board, he bleeds on the floor (that's all the blood Jax-Ur needs for the analysis), Zod explains his plan while Kal is still on his knees, Superman fights back and escapes the Black Zero. Between Jor-El and Zod, Kal-El knew about the hyper drive/phantom drive already. With some comic-book-y science, he figures out the solution himself, showing that he's also well-read and intelligent, instead of just an agent of brute force.

The tornado scene also needs to be tweaked as well as a few more things here and there.

Obviously the dialogue as well. It was the worst part of this film as far as I'm concerned. "This man is not our enemy". Yeah, Colonel, the audience knows that already, you can talk like a regular person now.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #721
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
WOW. This video does an amazing job decontructing the popular criticisms of the movie. I love how he demonstrates that Superman actually SAVED more people in Man of Steel than Superman: The Movie, because people LOVE to go on and on and on about how he saved zero people in Mos. Smh

I mean, I respect everyone's opinions but I think the guy who made this video summed it up perfectly by comparing MoS to food. It is a movie that is well cooked but not to everyone's taste.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #722
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
WOW. This video does an amazing job decontructing the popular criticisms of the movie. I love how he demonstrates that Superman actually SAVED more people in Man of Steel than Superman: The Movie, because people LOVE to go on and on and on about how he saved zero people in Mos. Smh

I mean, I respect everyone's opinions but I think the guy who made this video summed it up perfectly by comparing MoS to food. It is a movie that is well cooked but not to everyone's taste.
Thanks for posting that video, after that rubbish video of the Half-in-the Bag review, this was a good representation that reviews can take a position (either positive or negative) but have some balance, and be articulate.

I agreed with 99% of what he said. Particularly that one or two lines of dialogue here or there would have tweaked the movie and filled in some gaps.

But overall, I was Totally on board ! I went into MOS expecting to hate it, but loved it. Best of all I loved that someone had the BALLS to update the myth.
Superman Returns was a complete piece of **** IMO, because it was a lame attempt to re-make a Donner/Reeve film.
Here Snyder/Nolan/Goyer did something DIFFERENT, for me the result was
****ing awesome, but like the man says, not to everyone's taste - but that doesn't make it a bad film.

Totally fair to say, "hey I didn't like it" but not to say "It's rubbish"

I agreed that Batman Begins is the most accurate comparison.

And yeah, the awesome bits of the film far outweigh the not-so great bits.

One nit-pick I still have is that Lois is falling (down) while everything is being sucked into the singularity. When Supes grabs her, they start getting pulled in, but up until then she's falling....and that doesn't make sense, but still doesn't ruin the flick, not even close.

And....maybe they should have used Dylan Spraybury for the Tornado scene, that might have worked.

Anyway, great review, thanks for posting it !

Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #723
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
I'd do a few things differently; much as I liked the movie, I did find it heavily flawed. But the few glaring things

I'd heavily rework the scene aboard the Black Zero. No Lois, no Jor-El. They have no reason to exist in that scene. It exists to introduce Superman and Zod, have Zod explain his plan to Superman, get Superman's blood to analyze and figure out the Codex is in him and set-up the resolution with the Phantom drive. Neither Lois or Jor-El are needed for that. Instead Superman gets on board, he bleeds on the floor (that's all the blood Jax-Ur needs for the analysis), Zod explains his plan while Kal is still on his knees, Superman fights back and escapes the Black Zero. Between Jor-El and Zod, Kal-El knew about the hyper drive/phantom drive already. With some comic-book-y science, he figures out the solution himself, showing that he's also well-read and intelligent, instead of just an agent of brute force.

The tornado scene also needs to be tweaked as well as a few more things here and there.

Obviously the dialogue as well. It was the worst part of this film as far as I'm concerned. "This man is not our enemy". Yeah, Colonel, the audience knows that already, you can talk like a regular person now.
very interesting thought and I like it. However most of the audiences will not connect the dots themselves. If you didn't paint it on wall clearly, they may not get it. I think they will complain loudly that how the heck he gets to know. Is he a funking god.

It isn't about how Clark know... It is about how the audience know.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #724
eatup
Side-Kick

I've watched clips of MoS on Youtube. Not trailers, but actual movie clips. Cheesy and boring is all I can say. I haven't watched Returns for a while. But the other day, just watching some random Returns clips actually drew me into the movie. Looks like I won't be watching MoS (in its entirety) ever! I just can't relate to this "Man of Steel" and it was badly filmed...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #725
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Tried not to comment on your posts but I just can't take your criticisms seriously from a movie you haven't watched. Your basing your beliefs on clips and other peoples opinions whether or not a flim is bad to you??...I really don't see how people even have conversations with you on anything you post about MOS or any movie you bring up that you haven't watched lol...smh