The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #101
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I thought it was strange how Hardy/Hamilton's "deaths" were glossed over.Granted,they may still be alive,but Supes made no real inquiry as to if they could be retrieved from the PZ.I just think they should've spelled it out a bit more clearly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband View Post
We have no 100% verifiable proof that Hamilton is dead, or Hardy, or Faora, or any of the Kryptonians that appeared to be sucked back into the Phantom Zone along with a few new people as well. We can assume they're all dead because of none of them being encased in that protective capsule-like thing shown way back on Krypton which was used as a transport pod to get them in there but... I prefer to just think that perhaps, maybe perhaps some of those characters could be seen again.

I mean, if Brainiac makes an entrance at some point, surely he's technologically capable of cracking open the Phantom Zone if needed, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
To be honest I think they're dead especially Hamilton, he wouldn't be able to breath in the atmosphere in the PZ unless its something that puts you into a kind of stasis
I do think it was deliberately left open by Goyer in case they want to revisit these characters in the sequel.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #102
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: What are your complaints? What would you do differently? *SPOILERS* - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
Ha ha love it. I'm going to read this novel.
I've only read the first couple of pages and there's abit more dialogue between Jor El and the Council plus there's explanations on who people are etc

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #103
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

What I still don't get is how there can be "Houses" on Krypton, yet, people are created artificially (and have no choice in their lot in life).

They could have explained that better.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #104
br0adband
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
What I still don't get is how there can be "Houses" on Krypton, yet, people are created artificially (and have no choice in their lot in life).

They could have explained that better.
The belief that I've seen mentioned is it's a generational thing: House of El means everyone born into or engineered for that House are scientists/engineers/etc - so if that's the case then it stands to reason that what we've seen in MoS as Jor-El's "home on a cliff" more or less is a generational one that's housed (no pun intended) the House of El for many many ages and generations.

Makes sense to me.

br0adband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #105
mace1
Side-Kick

Must see review
MAN OF STEEL Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nNZ3Lk-74

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #106
Smegger56
The Smegginator

I gave the film 8/10. Since this is a complaints thread, I will focus on them.

1. The documentary style camera work. You know, shaky cam and sudden zoom in shots. I HATE that style in everything I've seen. Firefly, JJ Star Trek, Battlestar etc. And now MOS. Why? IMO, it takes me out of the film/show. I think this film has some beautiful imagery. But when they do that kind of camera work, it bugs the hell out of me. Horrible.

2. Clark and the ship. Ok, I like the idea he finds the ship. I love that he uses that 'rod' thingy to turn it on and talk to his father. I hate the way Jor-El explains to Clark his purpose. I also hate how the suit just shows up. That scene, IMO, felt very awkward. Then leads to Superman exiting the ship. What should be a glorious reveal just feels flat. Watching it in the second trailer I thought it would be great. But the lead up to that ruins it.

3. Lois. IMO, weak. Was it me, or was she just in places that she didn't need to be? Like on the plane at the end about to blow up the 'world machine' or something? Hopfully, she'll be better developed for MOS2. I'm willing to let character stuff slide for the most part due to how much they tried to cover.

4. Lois knowing Clark was Superman. To be honest, I'm not fully sure how I feel about this.

5. Pa Kent death. Surely they could have had a better way to off him. I get the reasoning behind it. So many people can see him and his father is protecting him. But the scene, again, felt awkward. I get what they where going for. Just the execution was not the best.

What I LOVED.

1. The score. Zimmer has done a great job with the score. It fits this take on Superman perfectly.

2. The opening on Krypton. That was a great opening. It had me hooked.

3. The scope and scale of the action. This makes Avengers look like school year brawl in comparison. It makes me think DBZ could be done genuine justice if ever done live action again lol.

4. The imagery. Some of the shots in this film where stunning. Like seeing Lara stand in front of the window as Krypton is exploding. The shots of Superman on fire when on the oil rig and the way he's just floating in the ocean (the shot from behind). The shot of Perry White running as the building behind crumbles and falls. So many.

5. Faore. Seriously, she was just awesome. Damn. Someone just needs to write a film with that actress playing a similar character and I'll be in the queue opening night.

I'm sure there is more like/dislikes. But can't think right now.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #107
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
3. The scope and scale of the action. This makes Avengers look like school year brawl in comparison. It makes me think DBZ could be done genuine justice if ever done live action again lol.
Snyder should be like the go to guy, for every action heavy Anime adaptation.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #108
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Snyder should be like the go to guy, for every action heavy Anime adaptation.
It's one of the things I knew he would deliver in this film. Immense action. And yes. Yes he should

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #109
BattleCat
Side-Kick

1. Lois knowing Clark was Superman. BIG time problem for me.

2. How Clark get's the suit.

3. Lois being a weak character.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #110
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
1. Lois knowing Clark was Superman. BIG time problem for me.

2. How Clark get's the suit.

3. Lois being a weak character.
Lois killed Kryptonians more than superman or the whole military did!!! a weak character???!!!
seriously, Lois has never been portrayed this important in any previous movies.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #111
batfreakforever
A real fan

You'll never get it right when it comes to fanboys. The amount of complaining they do, it comes across as me, me, me, I, I, I want and not what is good for the character. Come on! Are you fans of the character or fans of a particular version of the character? It's always complained as this character would'nt do that in the comics. Well you have to know the rules of the medium that the story/characters are being portrayed in. And it's comes across as alot of fans have no idea. By the way, people complaining about there too much action don't understand.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #112
batfreakforever
A real fan

Come on! We finally have an action packed superman movie who has a superman that uses his powers. Yeah I still want story and drama but just because they arnt talking when there is action going on doesnt mean there isnt any character development/plot going on because there is. Are we men or mice?

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #113
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I do think it was deliberately left open by Goyer in case they want to revisit these characters in the sequel.
To be honest,I could do without them in the future.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #114
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Lois knowing who Clark is the biggest sigh of relief in the movie. A Pulitzer Prize reporter who is fooled by a pair of glasses is RE ****ing DICULOUS.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #115
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Lois knowing who Clark is the biggest sigh of relief in the movie. A Pulitzer Prize reporter who is fooled by a pair of glasses is RE ****ing DICULOUS.
exactly!!! they just free themselves for all the great possibilities... unlike SR which leads itself into a dead end.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #116
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
3. Lois. IMO, weak. Was it me, or was she just in places that she didn't need to be? Like on the plane at the end about to blow up the 'world machine' or something? Hopfully, she'll be better developed for MOS2. I'm willing to let character stuff slide for the most part due to how much they tried to cover.
It's always been in Lois Lane's character to butt into dangerous situations. Her boarding the C-17 was out of thrill-seeking, a future article for the Planet, and that she felt personally charged by Jor-El to see the mission through. She'd been involved with Superman and the alien threat from the beginning, so it makes sense she'd want involved with the climax.

As for why the military allowed her on? They had reason to believe she knew how to activate the Phantom Drive. She's the one who even relayed the mission parameters to them in the first place.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #117
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:
So now he's working at the Daily Planet and the only one he won't fool is Lois. That basically kills the fun that used to be had with the Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic in just about every incarnation,nothing more.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #118
Nathan

It's no different from Stark revealing that he's is Iron Man, and not just a bodyguard of his, in the very first Movie. So instead of going on for several Movies with Clark making excuses, Lois already knows. And now she'll help him make excuses.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #119
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I just saw it today. Overall pretty good.

I just wish they would have used the story ingredients to their full potential.
I wish there was more drama surrounding Clark's choices, or lack thereof.

I wish the idea of Clark making himself known from the flashbacks had more drama surrounding it in the present day story. I wish there was a scene in the present day where Clark feels unwanted when the army betrays him. Have him believe that Pa Kent was right. (perhaps the army bomb Smallville (killing Pa Kent?) in an effort to kill their targets, Superman and Zod)

Give him a reason to maybe be curious or consider Zod's claims about saving the Kryptonians. A part of him wants this, given the recent events. When he discovers the truth and changes his mind, have Zod be angry over the fact that Clark is siding with the humans.

Have Ma Kent tell Clark that the takeaway from Pa Kent is that it's important to protect the ones you love, even at your own expense. Pa Kent is Clark's symbol of hope. Have his connection with Lois be the tipping point why he decides to stick with humanity.

I mean, I guess the movie basically did this kind of story arc. I just wish it was clearer, connecting the themes together.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 06-28-2013 at 03:58 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #120
br0adband
Side-Kick

It's pretty obvious that Perry knows as well if you're paying attention - we don't know the amount of time that's passed since the death of Zod to the Predator thing with the General and then to Clark taking up shop at The Daily Planet but no matter how much time has passed, it's not like he doesn't.

One could go through all the methods for Perry to discover this himself:

- Lois goes off looking for "that guy" and ends up in Smallville - travel records, plane tickets, etc, most likely all footed by The Daily Planet itself
- all hell breaking loose in Smallville just after the aliens come to Earth and this still not named alien individual being asked to surrender himself
- Lois being involved with all the hell breaking loose in Metropolis itself
- Lois being saved by that alien individual (since at that point Perry doesn't know of him as "Superman" yet)
-Lois and that alien individual kissing
- etc

The look Lois gets from Perry at the end of MoS is a dead giveaway as well, but it's already been implied/pointed out that earlier in the movie Perry is the kind of guy that, while he is a publisher and a news person himself and "the public has a right to know," is well aware that if the public discovered someone like Kal/Clark existed it would cause a literally boatload of problems more than it would ever help fix.

Lois knows, Perry knows, the blog reporter knows, cops in Smallville probably know (it's hinted at, but then again in his youth Clark might have saved one of them at some point or a friend or family member - it's pretty obvious that people in Smallville know to some degree that Clark isn't quite "normal" but they protect his secret just the same because he's never done anything but help people and do good things).

A lot of people know, not just Lois.

br0adband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #121
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I think only Lois knows as she is the only one who got close enough to get a real good look of Superman in and out of costume. Perry or anyone else at the Planet are none the wiser who Clark really is.

Also the 'Welcome to the Planet' line has a nice double meaning to it, I don't know if it was intentional.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #122
Nathan

Quote:
Also the 'Welcome to the Planet' line has a nice double meaning to it, I don't know if it was intentional.
Pretty sure it was.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #123
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Pretty sure it was.
Quite clearly.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #124
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I stand by my 10/10 but I do think the film might have benefitted from a few changes, some stuff could have been done that maybe would have satisfied others i.e.

- have the Krypton exploding scene (with the rocket coming to Earth) and the scene on the boat broken up with the Kent's finding baby Kal El's rocket then have the 'S' symbol reveal kind of like the Bat symbol in the Batman films, then cut to the boat.
- move the strategy scene so that it happens before the Gravity beam starts
- have a few more shots of people running out buildings
- have scenes if Superman saving certain individuals during the fight scene with Zod until he gets to that final family that are obviously trapped
- after Superman has killed Zod have a reflection scene on that where he's talking to Lois or Martha, or both

Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #125
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband View Post
It's pretty obvious that Perry knows as well if you're paying attention - we don't know the amount of time that's passed since the death of Zod to the Predator thing with the General and then to Clark taking up shop at The Daily Planet but no matter how much time has passed, it's not like he doesn't.

One could go through all the methods for Perry to discover this himself:

- Lois goes off looking for "that guy" and ends up in Smallville - travel records, plane tickets, etc, most likely all footed by The Daily Planet itself
- all hell breaking loose in Smallville just after the aliens come to Earth and this still not named alien individual being asked to surrender himself
- Lois being involved with all the hell breaking loose in Metropolis itself
- Lois being saved by that alien individual (since at that point Perry doesn't know of him as "Superman" yet)
-Lois and that alien individual kissing
- etc

The look Lois gets from Perry at the end of MoS is a dead giveaway as well, but it's already been implied/pointed out that earlier in the movie Perry is the kind of guy that, while he is a publisher and a news person himself and "the public has a right to know," is well aware that if the public discovered someone like Kal/Clark existed it would cause a literally boatload of problems more than it would ever help fix.

Lois knows, Perry knows, the blog reporter knows, cops in Smallville probably know (it's hinted at, but then again in his youth Clark might have saved one of them at some point or a friend or family member - it's pretty obvious that people in Smallville know to some degree that Clark isn't quite "normal" but they protect his secret just the same because he's never done anything but help people and do good things).

A lot of people know, not just Lois.
I don't think Perry knows he doesn't see Superman head on and that final scene at the end there he doesn't exactly give any inclination that he does know.

The blog reporter doesn't know that the alien is in Smallvlle otherwise he'd have said on TV all he did was point out that Lois knew who he was.

I will agree that people in Smallville must know (of course we know for a fact the priest knows) but I like to believe because its a small town they will be protective of him.