The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade
 
Axl Van Sixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,656
Default The Thanos Problem

With the appearance of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy and his likely presence as the focus of Avengers 3 in 2018, it seems that Thanos is ready to hit the big time. But given his similarity to Darkseid, the question remains -- by the time Darkseid finally appears (presumably in a Justice League movie), will audiences at that point see him as a mere ripoff of Thanos?

Obviously such a fate would be extremely ironic given that the character of Thanos in the comics was heavily influenced by Darkseid.

__________________
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."—Lenin

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 470
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
With the appearance of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy and his likely presence as the focus of Avengers 3 in 2018, it seems that Thanos is ready to hit the big time. But given his similarity to Darkseid, the question remains -- by the time Darkseid finally appears (presumably in a Justice League movie), will audiences at that point see him as a mere ripoff of Thanos?

Obviously such a fate would be extremely ironic given that the character of Thanos in the comics was heavily influenced by Darkseid.
Yeah I often think this as well, I still think like it could be done but how to do it without appearing to rip off Thanos I don't know. Like you said as well, Darkseid came first, the guy who created Thanos originally had him thinner and he had a look of Metron, he was told of you're gonna rip off a New God at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one.

__________________
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"
 
Lantern Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: With YOUR MOM
Posts: 6,640
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
With the appearance of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy and his likely presence as the focus of Avengers 3 in 2018, it seems that Thanos is ready to hit the big time. But given his similarity to Darkseid, the question remains -- by the time Darkseid finally appears (presumably in a Justice League movie), will audiences at that point see him as a mere ripoff of Thanos?

Obviously such a fate would be extremely ironic given that the character of Thanos in the comics was heavily influenced by Darkseid.
WB can't worry about the opinions of people who are too lazy to do a 20-second web search. Darkseid came first and his place in DC's history is well-established. The last thing WB should worry about is what Marvel Studios is doing because the likelihood of replicating their string of success is almost zero. Stay true to the source material and hope for the best.

__________________
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
1994-2014: Twenty Years of the Torch-Bearer.
You went full Topher, man. NEVER go full Topher.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Guard82
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 190
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

I don't think this should be a problem. Darkseid is a good villain and would make a great antagonist in a Justice League movie no matter what. Most moviegoers likely will not care about similarities between villains of two different franchises; they just want to see some exciting villains on the big screen for our heroes to battle. As long as Darkseid is presented as an interesting, exciting villain for the Justice League, that's all that the audience will care about.

Besides, just because Darkseid and Thanos are similar doesn't make them exactly the same. Depending on how Darkseid is written, the writers can easily think up ways to make him distinctive as his own person. Few if any people will find anything wrong with similarities between him and Thanos as long as Darkseid is written well.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Given the appearance of Thanos in GOTG ( i.e. the way he looks) I think Darkseid will have a radically different look. Also, Thanos smiles in GOTG,
whereas Darkseid just glowers and looks pissed off.

I'm sure whichever director is entrusted with bringing Darkseid to life on the big screen will make his characterization and appearance significantly different from Thanos. Well, let's hope.

Personally, I found Thanos with all his gold bling to be a bit too shiny to be really scary.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15,581
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Disney doing Thanos first & correctly for the most part is not a problem if you ask me. They are showing other studios that CGI bad guys can be done correctly. Not turned into clouds or blue guys that look like blue chicks

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,454
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Given the appearance of Thanos in GOTG ( i.e. the way he looks) I think Darkseid will have a radically different look. Also, Thanos smiles in GOTG,
whereas Darkseid just glowers and looks pissed off.

I'm sure whichever director is entrusted with bringing Darkseid to life on the big screen will make his characterization and appearance significantly different from Thanos. Well, let's hope.

Personally, I found Thanos with all his gold bling to be a bit too shiny to be really scary.
agreed. Thanos isn't very scary or threatening at all, like all of the MCU's villains. Whereas DC in the past has had Nolan's Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow and Bane... I hope Darkseid is as scary and threatening as Nolan's villains, and i hope he's completely different from Thanos. Darkseid doesn't have to be family friendly, make him terrifying.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"
 
Lantern Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: With YOUR MOM
Posts: 6,640
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Given the appearance of Thanos in GOTG ( i.e. the way he looks) I think Darkseid will have a radically different look. .
Marvel made some changes in his look between Avengers and GotG. He looked more human; Darkseid should look more like a monstrous statue.

__________________
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
1994-2014: Twenty Years of the Torch-Bearer.
You went full Topher, man. NEVER go full Topher.
Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
PaulRom
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 136
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

I don't think it would be much of a problem as long as Darkseid is portrayed very differently from Thanos. He could easily be a darker, more frightening villain. And he can have a radically different array of powers.

__________________

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El

Check out my DC Entertainment blog, Watchtower of Babel News.
PaulRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
Boom
I got nothin'
 
Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sitting on the nitpicket fence
Posts: 32,143
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

One looks like this:



The other looks like this:



One is the unquestioned dictator of his own planet, Apokolips.
One resides on the outskirts of the cosmos on a little meteorite.

One wants to control all life in the universe with the Anti-Life Equation.
One wants to end all life in the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet.


Where exactly is the confusion?

__________________
Everything in this post is my fault.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Guard82
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 190
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRom View Post
I don't think it would be much of a problem as long as Darkseid is portrayed very differently from Thanos. He could easily be a darker, more frightening villain. And he can have a radically different array of powers.
That's right. As I mentioned in my previous post, there's any number ways that the writers can make Darkseid unique in terms of his personality, power set, appearance, backstory, etc. There is a lot of room for creativity in how he is introduced to the audience.

Also, as I said before, similarities between Darkseid and Thanos should not deter the Justice League writers from using Darkseid to his greatest potential. Look at the filmmakers behind the next X-Men movie. Apocalypse is also similar to Thanos in many ways, but that's not stopping the filmmakers from using Apocalypse as the villain in the next X-Men film. And there's no reason not to use Darkseid in a movie either.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 52,860
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Between the JL, Avengers and X-Men there are many similar and equivalent characters. I think they should still go with Darkseid at some point, just see what we get with Thanos and choose a different direction and look for Darkseid. The fact that we have 2 Quicksilvers on film should not mean we don't get a Flash in JL for eg.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 123,387 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
michael1975
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 245
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
agreed. Thanos isn't very scary or threatening at all, like all of the MCU's villains. Whereas DC in the past has had Nolan's Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow and Bane... I hope Darkseid is as scary and threatening as Nolan's villains, and i hope he's completely different from Thanos. Darkseid doesn't have to be family friendly, make him terrifying.
Ok first off other then Joker I never once even remotely found any of the villians in Nolan films to be scary. The Scarecrow was a Joke and was down played in the film. Bane was even worse then Scarecrow. That got his personality right but he was pathetically small and his costume sucked.

Also you're stuck on Nolan. These arn't Nolan films. In no way shape form or fashion are they connected to the Nolan films. So just get off that bandwagon now.

WB has a lot to prove at this point. So don't count you're chickens before they hatch.

michael1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
Aejej
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Marvel made some changes in his look between Avengers and GotG. He looked more human; Darkseid should look more like a monstrous statue.
I can't confirm this, but I've heard before that the final look of Molasar in The Keep may have been inspired by Darkseid. The film came out in 1983, so imagine what they could do now.


Aejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,367
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

^ That actually looks really cool.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,100
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

It kind of reminds me of Ram-Man from MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
The_Yellow_King
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Thinking about this, I had a crazy idea: at the end of BvS or the JLA movie, they should just rip-off The Avengers' after-credits scene with Thanos but using Desaad and Darkseid in Apokolips instead of Thanos and the cloaked alien in the meteors.

Shot by shot rip-off, Desaad informing to Darkseid about whatever happened during the movie and then Darkseid turns and smiles, exactly the same scene, then in the next movie the JLA and the Green Lantern Corps would fight against Darkseid while in the MCU The Avengers and TGOTG fight against Thanos, both movies being released the same year.


The_Yellow_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 593
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Darkseid sould be portrayed as the ruler of his world and interacting with it as opposed to mr hermit Thanos.

__________________
It isn't that there are too many idiots in the world, its the lightning is improperly distributed
Mark Twain
Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,100
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Also, Darkseid should actually do things.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #20
JOE
_________________________
 
JOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,048
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

You have BVS, SS and WW to hint at Darksied. Disney may own the rights to a lot of things, but post-credit scenes are not one of them. So what if Marvel did it first, does that mean it can never be done again without "ripping the MCU off"? Marvel may be known for it, but I don't see it as their staple. Personally, I think they should save Darkseid for JL2 anyways. Have Luthor do something to assemble the team together. Oops, don't want to use the word assemble either, might be "ripping off the MCU."

__________________
"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
Aejej
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
You have BVS, SS and WW to hint at Darksied. Disney may own the rights to a lot of things, but post-credit scenes are not one of them. So what if Marvel did it first, does that mean it can never be done again without "ripping the MCU off"? Marvel may be known for it, but I don't see it as their staple. Personally, I think they should save Darkseid for JL2 anyways. Have Luthor do something to assemble the team together. Oops, don't want to use the word assemble either, might be "ripping off the MCU."
It's not like Marvel didn't borrow the Doom Patrol to make X-Men, or Batman to make Iron Man, or (again) from Batman to make Moon Knight, etc. Post-credits scenes go back decades. I recall The Name of the Rose had a scene that ran all the way through the credits.

Aejej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!
 
Naked Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 7,533
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Darkseid will be frightening as hell, unlike Thanos. Thanos will make jokes with the hulk, while darkseid will destroy Superman in a one on one fight.

They should make a Dc Versus Marvel movie.

__________________
GTA V the movie
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #23
michael1975
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 245
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
Darkseid will be frightening as hell, unlike Thanos. Thanos will make jokes with the hulk, while darkseid will destroy Superman in a one on one fight.

They should make a Dc Versus Marvel movie.
What makes you think Thanos won't be frighting? Better question is how do you even know they will get a Justice League made?

Darksied could make for an awesome villain. He could be the Darth Vader of DC Universe. However till we see what they actually do you can't know for sure if he will be scary or not.

As for Marvel they are doing exactly what they want to do. Everything they been doing has been a warm up act. The villains are going to be more frighting. Say what you will about Marvel there villains have been more spot on with how they in the comics then DC have.

Also I'd love to see JL/Avengers movie if done right.

michael1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #24
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,775
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Have you seen marvel movies? Too much comedy. I hate to come off like a fanboy, but I want things to betaken serious, with serious issues at stake. MOS you felt like the world was rreally at stake. Avengers felt like guys in costumes having a good time. Darkseid has a chance to humiliate Thanos, by being intimidating, menacing and monstrous.

__________________
STAY OUT OF MY TERRITORY
the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #25
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!
 
Naked Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 7,533
Default Re: The Thanos Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1975 View Post
What makes you think Thanos won't be frighting? Better question is how do you even know they will get a Justice League made?

Darksied could make for an awesome villain. He could be the Darth Vader of DC Universe. However till we see what they actually do you can't know for sure if he will be scary or not.

As for Marvel they are doing exactly what they want to do. Everything they been doing has been a warm up act. The villains are going to be more frighting. Say what you will about Marvel there villains have been more spot on with how they in the comics then DC have.

Also I'd love to see JL/Avengers movie if done right.
I know they will get a justice league made, because WB officially announced they would two weeks ago.

Also, it was obvious I was joking in my comment

__________________
GTA V the movie
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.