The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 3

I like TLOK way more than TLA. I tried a rewatch of TLA a while back to get past episode 5 for the second time and just couldn't do it. Other than the animation quality there was just nothing for me there.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #52
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I agree about the animation being a thorn in the eye after watching Korra but I think TLA is far better than Korra overall.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 06-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #53
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I think they need to be appreciated for what they both were. TLA was very much a kids show that near the end really grew up. While LOK was intended a bit more mature audience with it's subject material.

Both shows were great, both had great animation and appeal and I can't wait for Season 2, 3, and 4 of Korra. And if they do make another series I'll watch that one too. You know, as long as I'm alive when that happens.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #54
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I like TLOK way more than TLA. I tried a rewatch of TLA a while back to get past episode 5 for the second time and just couldn't do it. Other than the animation quality there was just nothing for me there.
TLA has some of its weaker episodes in season 1, especially early on. I always hated the one with the Earthbenders being on the prison ship. I would just watch the first 2 episodes, Omashu, and then to the Spirit World/Solstice. Things picked up after that I think. Season 2 was kind of slow until they met Toph.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #55
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

What Spidey-Bat said. You can't really judge the series on the first few episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #56
Drakepool
Side-Kick

For now, I prefer Korra over Airbender. For now.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #57
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

One of my favorite things about TLA is the humor, sure it's quirky sometimes but I think it's spot on.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #58
Lord
All Mighty

I would say that both shows are supposed to be mature and for the family, difference is that one had a young cast while this one has a cast mostly made up of teens.

Season 1 had problems, i think there is no denying in that, but with 3 more seasons i'm sure they can turn the show around and learn from their errors

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #59
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

TLA had Toph. Toph is > anything or anyone else.

<------ Opinion of course.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #60
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I would say that both shows are supposed to be mature and for the family, difference is that one had a young cast while this one has a cast mostly made up of teens.

Season 1 had problems, i think there is no denying in that, but with 3 more seasons i'm sure they can turn the show around and learn from their errors
TLOK didn't have any major problems outside of the love quadrangle, which, succeeded in making Korra and Mako completely unlikeable near the end of the season.

Fix that relationship or drop it completely, and you can save the show.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #61
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/01/...ed-experience/

Nickelodeon is bringing Korra-fanatics deeper into the world of Avatars and Benders with the interactive book "The Legend of Korra: Enhanced Experience." "Enhanced Experience" will feature concept art, an in-depth look at the characters, animatics, storyboards, and more! It'll be available for FREE starting Tuesday, July 2 at iTunes.com/Korra.

For those of you heading to San Diego Comic-Con, the gang from "Korra" will hold their panel on Friday, July 19 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in Ballroom 20. If you can't make it, don't worry, MTV Geek will be there to bring all the goods you need!

PLUS! Nick has provided us a look at two characters who will appear in the upcoming "Legend of Korra" Book Two from the "Enhanced Experience"!

Here's Tonraq (Waterbender, Korra’s father)

Tonraq_legend-of-korra-mtv-geek

Tonraq was a general in the Northern Water Tribe and next in line to be the Chief. As a warrior, he relied on his physical strength to protect the tribe and was never very connected to the spiritual world. He is brash and hotheaded, not unlike Korra. Now living in the South, he’s determined to live a simple life. But when fate intervenes, he’s forced to lead his people in battle against his own brother.

And Unalaq (Waterbender, Chief of the Water Tribe)

Unalaq_legend-of-korra-mtv-geek

Tonraq’s younger brother. He is an incredibly powerful Waterbender who also has a strong connection with the Spirit World. Because of his deep spiritual connections, he always believed that he was better suited to rule the North and the South than his older, brutish brother. He’s a firm believer in the old ways of the Water Tribe and a true fundamentalist when it comes to honoring the Spirits.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #62
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Northern vs Southern water tribe could be interesting. Will Korra back her father or uncle?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #63
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
TLOK didn't have any major problems outside of the love quadrangle, which, succeeded in making Korra and Mako completely unlikeable near the end of the season.

Seriously. I'm not a shipper by any means, but I didn't think the Avatar writers were more capable of making a romance more forced than Aang and Katara, but Korra and Mako beats it by miles. Mako I found too dull to be an interesting love interest. Not to mention their personalities don't even mesh.

Quote:
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #64
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

They probably did Korra and Mako to make up for the fact that Katarra and Zuko would probably have been more believable than Katarra and Aang.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #65
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

And doing too much in a few time with more subplots than they should have in a 12 episodes season, as well as some things that weren't very well executed and ended up feeling too contrived, like the whole business with Yakone's sons

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #66
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
They probably did Korra and Mako to make up for the fact that Katarra and Zuko would probably have been more believable than Katarra and Aang.
I think that's the shipper talking, i also used to be a Katara/ Zuko shipper but i think the way the relationships ended up was way better, Mai was a better fit for Zuko than Katara.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #67
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Seriously. I'm not a shipper by any means, but I didn't think the Avatar writers were more capable of making a romance more forced than Aang and Katara, but Korra and Mako beats it by miles. Mako I found too dull to be an interesting love interest. Not to mention their personalities don't even mesh.
This. It was made worse by the fact that they had Korra and Mako act like complete *******s to Asami and Bolin, whom would've made much better love interests for those two.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #68
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I had no issue with Katara and Aang relationship. Like, honestly, it seemed pretty fine to me.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #69
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I was totally for Korra and Bolin. So much more in common. Oh well.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #70
Lord
All Mighty

Glad they didn't go cliché with Asami by making her turn evil, she's much more interesting than that, shame many shipper overlook that and just wanted her dead

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #71
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Shippers are the worst.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #72
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I think that's the shipper talking, i also used to be a Katara/ Zuko shipper but i think the way the relationships ended up was way better, Mai was a better fit for Zuko than Katara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I had no issue with Katara and Aang relationship. Like, honestly, it seemed pretty fine to me.
I'm not a shipper, I had no problem with any of the relationships they did in the show. I just think there was a lot of Katarra and Zuko stuff that could have made it seem more natural; when they were in the caves in Ba Sing Se, Zuko taking her to the man who killed her mother, them fighting Azula. With Aang, he had a crush on Katarra and she wasn't really into him. It kinda came off as, "I'll never do better than the Avatar, so what the hell?" I thought the kiss at the end of the series was corny, too.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #73
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Other characters...

http://comicsalliance.com/the-legend...book-season-2/

Quote:
DESNA (Waterbender), ESKA (Waterbender)
Korra’s cousins are sixteen year-old twins who have a strange connection and seem to communicate without saying a word. They’re both Waterbenders, and when they work together they can accomplish amazing feats, such as shooting entire icebergs at opponents. Korra has always found them incredibly annoying because they look down on her for being a rube from the South, even though she’s the Avatar.

Quote:
VARRICK (non-bender)
Billionaire shipping magnate from the Southern Water Tribe. He’s a little eccentric, but very charismatic. He spends most of his time traveling the world on his monster yacht and living a fabulous lifestyle. Born a poor seal-hunter’s son, he built his business from a single canoe into a global power. A consummate dealmaker, he’s always looking for angles to expand his business empire. He is currently making a deal with Asami to become Future Industries’ shipping partner. There are rumors that he deals with underworld characters and gangsters if he thinks it will turn a profit, but that has not been verified.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #74
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Exactly. I felt a little bit forced, and Zuko seemed like a more natural relationship but I don't really care that much Zuko ended up with Mai and Katara and Aang were pretty compatible.

Korra and Mako didn't feel natural at all and felt near-completely forced. They're just too stubborn for each other. Not to mention them getting together just made them (More Mako than Korra) look worse because of what they did to Bolin and Asami respectively. If I was Mako, if I knew my brother had a crush, I wouldn't have done anything.

Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #75
theOVOXO
Side-Kick

Some nice information coming from season 2 about the characters. I'm guessing this season will foucus on the war of the Water Tribe?

Closed Thread