The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #76
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 3

those twins creep me out. I hope all the new characters don't fall under stereotypes (twins who can read each other thoughts, eccentric billionaires, etc.) give us some originality, use the stereotype as a building block and then blow our minds later. Aka Amon and Tarlok

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #77
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

The Legend of Korra: Original Music From Book One: Composed by Jeremy Zuckerman, our first soundtrack release EVER, is now available for pre-order on iTunes. Benjamin Wynn, the other half of the Track Team, was going through old photos last night and texting me some gems. Among the good memories was this snapshot of a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Jeremy Zuckerman at Ben’s workstation in the house Ben and I rented together in Burbank. As best we can figure, this is from late 2003 when Jeremy and Ben were working on the music and sound design for the pilot of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Ben took this picture standing at my workstation, where Mike and I sat on my computer and took turns typing up the first treatment for Avatar about a year and a half earlier than this photo was taken.

Jeremy and Ben were both marveling at how humble their setup was when they started working on this project over ten years ago compared to their amazing studios now (here is Jeremy’s and here is Ben’s). It warms my heart to look at this photo and think about all that we have created together, and how much we have grown in our respective crafts. Congratulations again to Jeremy on this release of beautiful music! Love you, brother!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #78
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

I am really looking foward to season 2..i have heard it is going to be darker than season 1 which is cool ;D

Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #79
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
I am really looking foward to season 2..i have heard it is going to be darker than season 1 which is cool ;D
I'm not sure about "dark". It seems a lot more fantastical what with the Spirit world aspect all involved.

As for the characters previewed, the tropes seem familiar but so did Asami and Tarlokk when we first see them and fans jumped to a billion of conclusions about the type of characters they were and Bryke managed to surprise us in the end with both of them. I hope there are more to these characters than what the previews say.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #80
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwraith View Post
I'm not sure about "dark". It seems a lot more fantastical what with the Spirit world aspect all involved.

As for the characters previewed, the tropes seem familiar but so did Asami and Tarlokk when we first see them and fans jumped to a billion of conclusions about the type of characters they were and Bryke managed to surprise us in the end with both of them. I hope there are more to these characters than what the previews say.
I must have been the only one thinking turning her evil was a bad idea

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #81
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I must have been the only one thinking turning her evil was a bad idea
I think I mentioned on the old thread that she was just way too pretty to end up being a good girl. Glad I'm wrong. Asami has quite a lot of inner strength, her lousy taste in men aside.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #82
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwraith View Post
I think I mentioned on the old thread that she was just way too pretty to end up being a good girl. Glad I'm wrong. Asami has quite a lot of inner strength, her lousy taste in men aside.
I think she might end up betraying the team later on but she joins the good side again..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #83
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
I think she might end up betraying the team later on but she joins the good side again..
Why would she do that now? Not even his father is on the opposite side this time

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #84
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Why would she do that now? Not even his father is on the opposite side this time
She might do it because of Mako choosing Korra over her

Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #85
Charlie Boy
Modern Messiah

What an idiodic way to derail a great, progressive female character. Turning evil because a boy didn't like her.

Ou La La, Très Bien, Magnifique

@DomEsclovon
Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #86
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
What an idiodic way to derail a great, progressive female character. Turning evil because a boy didn't like her.
100% agreed

Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #87
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
He was annoying, but at least he wasn't so pompous or self righteous. He just had sexual thoughts about a young cartoon character. Truly the lesser of the two evils.
You just seem mad that I can watch the show and actually understand what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Aang didn't give her the ability to enter the Avatar State, he restored her bending. Connecting with her spirituality (which we see through her meeting Aang) is what made her capable of entering the Avatar State.
I am pretty sure he did. He seem to do exactly what the Lion Turtle did to Aang when he taught him how to energybend. Korra also learn how to energybend after Aang restored her bending. Because Aang gave it to her. Same with the Avatar State. She could could not do either of those before Aang did his thing. Then she suddenly could.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 07-04-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #88
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

She probably gained the ability to energybend but the Avatar State was dependent upon her connection to the Spirit World, which we see she achieves through seeing Aang and the past Avatars. He can't give her that when she needed it to meet him.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #89
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
No one is avoiding anything. Fights to the death aren't over when the person can't attack. You keep saying that he couldn't attack, I've explained why that's not relevant. Who's ignoring who?

You also compare apples to oranges. Korra was not acting as law enforcement when talking to Tarrlok, if she was ever. Also, in that situation, she would be the criminal, not Tarrlok, and he was not subdued he simply was supposedly unable to attack for the time being. Someone being on their butt not being able to attack for perhaps a short period of time - it turned out VERY short - is a great deal different than someone sitting cuffed in the back of a squad car.

Also, Korra was right to attack, and her taunting her opponent whom she trusted before he betrayed her and everything she stands for doesn't change that, so I'm not sure why we're still going back and forth about this.

Korra didn't kill anyone either. She attacked what she thought was a opponent with an critical opening.

I just plain disagree. The fight wasn't over. Your opponent not being able to attack you doesn't mean the fight is over unless you're in a martial arts tournament or those rules agreed upon before hand.

And if we're looking at her as the Avatar, herself as Aang is the one that gave her this problem, both the practical issue of Amon and the spiritual issue of refusing to make a choice. They're the same person. Her spirituality is Aang's spirituality.

I disagree. She did want to hurt him, as anyone would if they'd just been betrayed and someone was trying to kill him, but there was no reason for her to think anything would be okay if she didn't finish the fight that he started.

And only one was in the middle of a fight.

Ozai had a loving relationship with his daughter.

No there is no difference. If my dad keeps hitting me, I live in a perpetual state of fear. This is how some people grow up. But we don't say they aren't wrong to hit their children. We hold adults accountable for figuring things like The Golden Rule out. Amon and Tarrlok never cared to. Their choice, not their father's.

How much of it is his personal decision? That's the part you're ignoring, and that's a little scary if applied outside of cartoondom.
Just two things.

Yes, when your opponent can't fight you anymore, the fight is over. In terms of the law, there is no such thing as a fight to the death. If someone attacks you and in the process of protecting yourself you kill the person, that is one thing. But you can't make the decision to harm someone you know is no longer capable of defending themselves.You are right. This isn't a martial arts contest. It is a situations that is actually more strict in terms of liability.

There is the concept of using the right amount of force to subdue someone. For example, if someone attacks you on the street, you have the right to defend yourself. But if you stop someone from being able to hurt you, you aren't then allowed to kill them if they are no longer able to attack you. A police officer cannot apprehend you then proceed to beat you to death.

And it all comes down to the person's state of mind. It is not dissimilar to the Zimmerman trial going on right now. We know what Korra was thinking. The writer's made sure of this by having her speak. She attacked with anger, with malice. That isn't a good thing imo.

Second, you are right. In the end it all comes down to the individual themselves. In the end they make their decisions. That is fair. The thing is with Amon, I don't think his decisions were all that wrong. I honestly don't remember him killing anyone, he was taking away bending. Benders having established a different social status through their ability to bend. Why are you charge? Because I can throw fire at you.

He wasn't killing these people, he was taking away their magic powers. Leaving them like the majority of the world, which can't bend. What exactly is so devastating for these people?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #90
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
She probably gained the ability to energybend but the Avatar State was dependent upon her connection to the Spirit World, which we see she achieves through seeing Aang and the past Avatars. He can't give her that when she needed it to meet him.
Except I believe the past Avatars can appear and communicate with the current one, without having the ability to access the Avatar State. Which is why even when Aang can no longer access the State near the end of the first series, he could still communicate with his past lives.

I could be wrong, but there is no indication that Korra can access the State before Aang does his thing. If she could do it, why didn't she do it and restore her access to all forms of bending before Aang showed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I had no issue with Katara and Aang relationship. Like, honestly, it seemed pretty fine to me.
It is actually one of my favorites. Aang having a crush on her came off completely natural, same with it developing into more. The only problem it had was the, "will they, won't they" near the end in an attempt to keep suspense. Katara rejecting him just came off contrived imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
This is the greatest image in history. And more proof that Aang and Katara are the greatest relationship ever. Look what they produced?

Looks like the return of original Team Avatar. Classic.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #91
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Except I believe the past Avatars can appear and communicate with the current one, without having the ability to access the Avatar State. Which is why even when Aang can no longer access the State near the end of the first series, he could still communicate with his past lives.
He couldn't enter the Avatar State because of his blocked chakra from Azula's lightning which essentially killed him. It also severed his connection to the Spirit World but he regained it in that online game that took place when he was unconscious.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but there is no indication that Korra can access the State before Aang does his thing. If she could do it, why didn't she do it and restore her access to all forms of bending before Aang showed up?
Because she didn't have her spiritual connection.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #92
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
He couldn't enter the Avatar State because of his blocked chakra from Azula's lightning which essentially killed him. It also severed his connection to the Spirit World but he regained it in that online game that took place when he was unconscious.
Wait, what?

Quote:
Because she didn't have her spiritual connection.
But then when did she get it? It felt pretty clear to me. Korra is crying, Aang appears, touches her, and suddenly she has the ability to energybend and the Avatar State.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #93
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Wait, what?
This

Quote:
But then when did she get it? It felt pretty clear to me. Korra is crying, Aang appears, touches her, and suddenly she has the ability to energybend and the Avatar State.
She connects with her spirituality when she goes off by herself and cries. I thought the dialog explained that.
"Go away Tenzin, I just want to be left alone."
"But you called me here."
"Aang!? But how? I don't understand."
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #94
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
This

She connects with her spirituality when she goes off by herself and cries. I thought the dialog explained that.
"Go away Tenzin, I just want to be left alone."
"But you called me here."
"Aang!? But how? I don't understand."
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."
But how does this suddenly give her control over the Avatar State? Aang had to learn to let go of things like fear, shame, grief, etc, and he was far more "spiritual" then Korra. She was sitting there crying because she felt all those things. She is far from at peace with herself.

She called Aang there, but he does what he does. It just seems like a big coincidence that he gives her back her bending, gives her energybending, but she comes up with the Avatar State by herself in that very moment. The pinnacle of the Avatar's abilities. If she truly found it by herself, why didn't she call upon it before Aang showed up?

He touches her, she closes her eyes, he disappears, and she is in the State.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #95
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
But how does this suddenly give her control over the Avatar State? Aang had to learn to let go of things like fear, shame, grief, etc, and he was far more "spiritual" then Korra. She was sitting there crying because she felt all those things. She is far from at peace with herself.

She called Aang there, but he does what he does. It just seems like a big coincidence that he gives her back her bending, gives her energybending, but she comes up with the Avatar State by herself in that very moment. The pinnacle of the Avatar's abilities. If she truly found it by herself, why didn't she call upon it before Aang showed up?

He touches her, she closes her eyes, he disappears, and she is in the State.
A) Korra IS Aang, so any argument you give on behalf of Aang also goes towards Korra. Korra just had to be open for this part of her psyche to come out. Obviously she was, since Aang (aka, her past life) came to talk to her.

B) Are you in all seriousness arguing against the logic of a Saturday morning cartoon this much?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #96
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I know right? This has been one of the weirdest discussions I have ever read. We're discussing the morality of a cartoon character and whether she's psychopath!

Please, let's just enjoy the show, pray for it to come back soon, and until then let's just talk about what we'd like to happen.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #97
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I just bought me copy today, my happiness is unparalleled.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #98
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

My blu-ray copy came today. Can't wait to see the finale again, my satellite glitched out during the plane fight sequence.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #99
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

That's how awesome it was, modern technology is simply not equipped to efficiently broadcast so much awesome.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #100
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
My blu-ray copy came today. Can't wait to see the finale again, my satellite glitched out during the plane fight sequence.

What? So fast?! Damn International Shipping...