The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Did the Pope's recent comments on gays and tolerance surprise you?
Yes 6 40.00%
No 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 19,800
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII



After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exo...own/index.html

This is significant. Exodus is to the gay conversion industry what Ford Motor Co. is to the car industry.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,145
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Good riddance

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,064
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Rubio is looking out for 2016. Though this will obviously backfire. Republicans (or at least the ones backing this immigration bill) are hoping it will get them some Latino votes. It probably will. Maybe a few thousand. But those currently illegal aliens who will be naturalized will remember who made their lives miserable, and vote Democrat.

Combine that with changing attitudes towards gays... Rubio is in for a rough presidential election.

Even though I imagine Chris Christie will sink him anyway.
With Rand Paul and Chris Christie, I just don't see any room for Rubio in the primaries. The GOP establishment types, the donor base, and moderates are going to favor Christie (he's essentially a more competent Mitt Romney), while the Tea Party types are going to favor Paul (a vastly more competent Michelle Bachmann). Add in the inevitable evangelical/blue collar nominee like another Rick Santorum run (who knows how to run a good campaign with his extremely limited resources and dwindling base), there is just no way Rubio has any shot.

It really has nothing to do with Rubio's attitude towards gays and immigrants, it all comes down to that there are three nominees that are just going to suck up all the money, attention, and most of the voters. The GOP voters that Rubio would like to attract (GOP establishment and Tea Party) have been taken already.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 17,711
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post


After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exo...own/index.html

This is significant. Exodus is to the gay conversion industry what Ford Motor Co. is to the car industry.

Not only shutting down, but they also issued an apology for "years of undue judgment".

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...



Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 19,800
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Not only shutting down, but they also issued an apology for "years of undue judgment".

I think this is a sign of an evolution in evangelical Christianity.

I don't see them supporting gay marriage any time soon, and issues like school prayer and acceptance of basic science will always be an issue, but spreading hateful lies about the gay community must be so exhausting and wasteful a process, I see evidence that fundamentalists are more and more willing to give this up.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,721
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post


After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exo...own/index.html

This is significant. Exodus is to the gay conversion industry what Ford Motor Co. is to the car industry.
They're the most boring gay conversion organization?

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 19,800
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
They're the most boring gay conversion organization?


No, meaning they're like the "Coca Cola" of gay conversion therapy.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post


After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exo...own/index.html

This is significant. Exodus is to the gay conversion industry what Ford Motor Co. is to the car industry.
I was absolutely shocked by this.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 19,800
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I was absolutely shocked by this.
Of course, in the grand tradition of modern capitalism, they will apologize for all their past wrongs, but won't give anyone their money back.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,052
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Why should they? Money was paid for services rendered. Doesn't matter if it's a snake-oil job.


Now, if they get sued, that's another matter.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I still cannot believe they actually issued an APOLOGY to the gay community.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

IRISH PRIME MINISTER: COUNTRY COULD VOTE ON MARRIAGE EQUALITY IN 2014
http://www.advocate.com/politics/mar...s-deputy-prime

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: MICHIGAN DEMOCRATS INTRODUCE PRO-GAY RIGHTS LEGISLATION IN STATE
http://www.advocate.com/politics/mar...riage-equality

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,052
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Dominoes are falling faster and faster

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Yes they are. If the Supreme Court decision doesn't go in favor of equality, it may galvanize pro-gay support even further.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,705
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Yes they are. If the Supreme Court decision doesn't go in favor of equality, it may galvanize pro-gay support even further.
My money is on DOMA getting invalidated and Prop 8 being declared a State issue and stays the same. I wouldn't be surprised if in the case of Prop 8 that they just don't declare it N/A and not vote on it under the basis it is a States issue

SV Fan is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I'll be very surprised if DOMA doesn't get struck down.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

JUSTICE SCALIA: THERE IS NO RIGHT TO "HOMOSEXUAL CONDUCT" IN THE CONSTITUTION
http://www.advocate.com/society/law/...t-constitution

...it really is a shame that someone like this is on the highest court in our nation.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,721
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Wouldn't it have been ironic if Jefferson had written it:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Gayness.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,052
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Well, Justice Scalia, there's no right to heterosexual conduct in the Constitution either.

The Constitution isn't there to tell people what they can and can't do.

It's there to tell the Government what it can and can't do.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

...well said Wieg. I just wonder if we'll get the rulings tomorrow.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION VOTES TO OPPOSE BAN ON GAY BLOOD DONATION
http://www.advocate.com/health/healt...-gay-blood-ban


__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: MORE MEMBERS OF CONGRESS LEND THEIR SUPPORT TO THE
"NOH8" CAMPAIGN

http://www.advocate.com/politics/pro...no-h8-campaign

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,881
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: GAY MAN BECOMES ACTING SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE
http://www.advocate.com/politics/mil...tary-air-force

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.