The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #51
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,330
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

the curve ball to me is that they're picking a former historic Gay Rights ruling to make this ruling. Especially when most thought the ruling would come on today or Thursday, not tomorrow.

I too think the supreme court will rule Doma and Prop 8 unconstitutional, but just overturn prop 8 in California, it will still be a historic step forward. but not exactly the life changing step i do think this country needs unfortunately.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #52
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,134
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

I think you're overthinking the relevance of the day (which is what exactly? I didn't even realize that tomorrow is a milestone day). Tomorrow is the last day of the session. They are releasing all unreleased decisions tomorrow.

DOMA is undoubtedly gone. I see no circumstances in which DOMA is upheld. I don't see them overturning Prop. 8, because why bother writing a very narrowly tailored decision? Side stepping the issue on standing grounds effectively does the same thing because then the Court of Appeals decision is binding (which overrules Prop 8). If the Court narrowly tailors its ruling to California, it is saying it does not want to make a ruling. The easier way to not make a ruling is to say that there is no standing to appeal. That remains the front runner, IMO.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
the curve ball to me is that they're picking a former historic Gay Rights ruling to make this ruling. Especially when most thought the ruling would come on today or Thursday, not tomorrow.

I too think the supreme court will rule Doma and Prop 8 unconstitutional, but just overturn prop 8 in California, it will still be a historic step forward. but not exactly the life changing step i do think this country needs unfortunately.
At this point, I think DOMA will be struck down. I'm still unsure how Prop 8 will turn out. In any case, I doubt the court has the courage to do what is truly necessary.

I do agree with those who say that public opinion is largely on the side of equality, but I still see no way the south will ever legalize it without being forced to.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #54
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
HH you've said this before, and it's just not accurate. You do know that there were free blacks in the South before the Civil War, right? They were treated almost as badly as slaves. A lot of them were forced out in progroms (they were seen as a threat to the class system).

What purer form of hatred is there than what the Southerners did to the blacks before the Civil War? Pure, unapologetic exploitation. Any who resisted were beaten into submission, worked to death, or outright murdered. The vast majority of Southerners supported the institution, and viewed blacks as subhuman. They hated them before the war, and they hated them after.
And there were blacks who also owned plantations with slaves. There were plenty of people, not just African-Americans, who were treated badly in the South in that timeframe. The Southern aristocracy really didn't have anybody's interests at heart besides their own. It wasn't a pretty period. Slavery isn't excusable, but the simple fact is that if situations resolve themselves naturally, not just Civil War, but situations throughout the world, the end results almost always end up being far better. Interference just tends to mess up the natural order of things. Hatreds which aren't natural tend to linger on far longer. Outsiders who don't fully grasp the local culture impose their own which screws things up.

And again, people don't act completely irrational for absolutely no reason at all. Everything, even the irrational, has a rational reason. You can't just portray an entire culture of people like a bunch of cartoon characters who have no reason at all for their actions.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 06-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think you're overthinking the relevance of the day (which is what exactly? I didn't even realize that tomorrow is a milestone day). Tomorrow is the last day of the session. They are releasing all unreleased decisions tomorrow.

DOMA is undoubtedly gone. I see no circumstances in which DOMA is upheld. I don't see them overturning Prop. 8, because why bother writing a very narrowly tailored decision? Side stepping the issue on standing grounds effectively does the same thing because then the Court of Appeals decision is binding (which overrules Prop 8). If the Court narrowly tailors its ruling to California, it is saying it does not want to make a ruling. The easier way to not make a ruling is to say that there is no standing to appeal. That remains the front runner, IMO.
Lower courts have already overturned it on the basis that since gay marriage was already legalized, they can't just simply take it away. The other states don't have that issue where gay marriage was just simply straight up banned. And yeah, I agree, the most likely outcome will be that the supporters of Proposition 8 have no standing for appeal. It allows the Court to stay out of the issue while not being on the wrong side of history at the same time.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #56
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I do agree with those who say that public opinion is largely on the side of equality, but I still see no way the south will ever legalize it without being forced to.
Meh, they'll eventually come around. Just at a much slower rate. These things take some time, when they see that the world hasn't come to an end because two dudes can get married, they'll come around to it as long as there are specific provisions that separate civil marriage from religious marriage.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #57
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,330
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Meh, they'll eventually come around. Just at a much slower rate. These things take some time, when they see that the world hasn't come to an end because two dudes can get married, they'll come around to it as long as there are specific provisions that separate civil marriage from religious marriage.
There's alot of people who unfortunately don't have time.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #58
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,797
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
And there were blacks who also owned plantations with slaves. There were plenty of people, not just African-Americans, who were treated badly in the South in that timeframe. The Southern aristocracy really didn't have anybody's interests at heart besides their own. It wasn't a pretty period. Slavery isn't excusable, but the simple fact is that if situations resolve themselves naturally, not just Civil War, but situations throughout the world, the end results almost always end up being far better. Interference just tends to mess up the natural order of things. Hatreds which aren't natural tend to linger on far longer. Outsiders who don't fully grasp the local culture impose their own which screws things up.
Yes, I'm sure black people who were enslaved greatly resented being freed years earlier than they otherwise would have been. Do you have any proof Jim Crow wouldn't've occurred without the civil war or is that just speculation on your part?

Quote:
And again, people don't act completely irrational for absolutely no reason at all. Everything, even the irrational, has a rational reason. You can't just portray an entire culture of people like a bunch of cartoon characters who have no reason at all for their actions.
I've never said Southerners were being irrational. They were probably afraid of being overrun by a substantial minority whom they'd treated poorly for decades.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #59
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,329
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

A good chunk of a population can be irrational. I don't know how we can still debate that, given what our species has done over the course of its (rather shameful) history.

I don't think it's controversial to say that most Southerners were extremely racist. I think that could be said about Southerners in the early 20th century. Hell, Northerners weren't exactly PC either.

There are plenty of cultures that promote hatred, and irrational concepts.

Quite frankly, looking at our past (and the internet) sometimes I wonder if humans aren't naturally inclined to be *******. But I should save that for another thread.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #60
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Yes, I'm sure black people who were enslaved greatly resented being freed years earlier than they otherwise would have been. Do you have any proof Jim Crow wouldn't've occurred without the civil war or is that just speculation on your part?



I've never said Southerners were being irrational. They were probably afraid of being overrun by a substantial minority whom they'd treated poorly for decades.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #61
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Do you have any proof Jim Crow wouldn't've occurred without the civil war or is that just speculation on your part?
Well of course it's speculation. The Civil War happened, Jim Crow happened, and whatnot. It was in response to the speculation of what would have happened if the Civil War didn't happen. I am under the theory that if things resolved naturally, we would have gotten a more peaceful resolution that didn't involve the ugly outcomes that came afterwards. Mostly because I think that while most human beings are dumb, they aren't monsters who want to ruin other people.

Quote:
I've never said Southerners were being irrational. They were probably afraid of being overrun by a substantial minority whom they'd treated poorly for decades.
No they were pissed off. And yeah, they were irrational. I think we can both agree that Jim Crow was completely and utterly irrational. While there most likely was a degree of fear involved for the reasons you say, most of Southern irrationality came from anger. They were angry that their homes and economy were destroyed. They were angry that they lost all their political power to their former slaves. They were angry over how horribly defeated they were. Anger is a much more motivating tool than fear.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #62
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional in a 5-4 decision.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #63
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
DOMA has been ruled unconstitutional in a 5-4 decision.
Let guess: the swing vote was ... Alito.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #64
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let guess: the swing vote was ... Alito.
Actually it was Clarence Thomas .

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #65
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Actually it was Clarence Thomas .
He ruled against DOMA cause he wanted to watch lesbians kissing on the steps of the court building.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
He ruled against DOMA cause he wanted to watch lesbians kissing on the steps of the court building.


In seriousness though, it was the liberal justices plus Kennedy that struck it down.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #67
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Yeah, I read that. Congratulations to my American cousins in overturning a horribly draconian piece of legislation.

I am still disappointed though at how predictable the vote was. A highest court that makes decision purely on political and ideological lines is no court at all.

It would have been great if at least one of the conservative judges issued a concurring decision, not to support same-sex marriage, but to argue that the legislation itself was technically unconstitutional and an overreeach of ennumerated powers. That's the kind of arguments that a court should be considering.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #68
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,707
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Kennedy is one of the conservative judges and he released the opinion.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #69
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Kennedy is one of the conservative judges and he released the opinion.
Isn't he considered the "swing judge" though? When I say "conservative" I am thinking of the other four who are stubbornly out there on the far right.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #70
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV



Well, that's congratulations to my American cousins on two counts today!

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #71
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,489
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Pretty interesting that Ted Olson, a Republican is one of the lawyers that is winning all of these pro-gay marriage issues with the Supreme Court. Also interesting is his now partner in all of this David Boies was against Olson when Olson was the lawyer for Bush and Boies was the lawyer for Gore in Bush v. Gore. Pretty interesting stuff.....good job.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #72
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,330
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Prop 8 is also dead, SCOTUS as predicted dissmissed it. Marriages to resume in California


this is a major step forward for gay rights, just not the giant leap we needed.

Scalia should also be removed from court... he apparently said in his dissent that DOMA "has no prejudicial basis therefore should be left to stand"

that ideology needs to go away... especially if you can't tell what's prejudice and what's not.

imo SCOTUS should be role models... and i don't believe role models should be worry about they're reputation and saving their butts from scrutiny. They should simply be worried about doing what's right. And I'm not sold that they are

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #73
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Pretty interesting that Ted Olson, a Republican is one of the lawyers that is winning all of these pro-gay marriage issues with the Supreme Court. Also interesting is his now partner in all of this David Boies was against Olson when Olson was the lawyer for Bush and Boies was the lawyer for Gore in Bush v. Gore. Pretty interesting stuff.....good job.

Lawyers are mercenaries at heart: you pay their bills, and they will temporarily adopt whatever position you want them to.

I may have to eat my own words though, about the US Supreme Court being about politics rather than legal arguments, when I look at the breakdown of the Prop 8 decision.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,352
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Prop 8 is also dead, SCOTUS as predicted dissmissed it. Marriages to resume in California


this is a major step forward for gay rights, just not the giant leap we needed.

Scalia should also be removed from court... he apparently said in his dissent that DOMA "has no prejudicial basis therefore should be left to stand"

that ideology needs to go away... especially if you can't tell what's prejudice and what's not.

imo SCOTUS should be role models... and i don't believe role models should be worry about they're reputation and saving their butts from scrutiny. They should simply be worried about doing what's right. And I'm not sold that they are
Well, you can't remove a Supreme Court justice, so no point in wasting energy on that.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #75
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,098
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIV

I might take some time to read the Prop 8 opinion today; it is fascinating.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.