The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
Dragon
No Way as Way

Default Re: Are we too harsh on SM3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
It's funny Empire did a vote a couple of years ago for a 50 worst movies of all time list (this was a voted list compiled by thousands of readers), and the readers voted in Spider-Man 3 at the 50th spot: http://www.empireonline.com/features...t-movies-ever/

I do think things like this are overly harsh. Spider-Man 3 may be a bad movie, but it's not even a contender for the worst movie of all time.
Didn't Empire have "Kick Ass" on the list of best films of all time? This makes them immediately lose all credibility.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Didn't Empire have "Kick Ass" on the list of best films of all time? This makes them immediately lose all credibility.
This was not Empire's staff's specific choices. This was a list made up by votes from thousands of their readers. An example of how thousands of people unnecessarily call it one of the worst movies ever made.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I know Rami was forced to include Venom but why do people blame it 100% on Sony? I mean Joss was forced to include Black Widow in The Avengers but it's generally considered a great film. I think Rami should take most of the stick for SM3 as he gets praise for SM2. Not a Rami hate in fact and SM2 is on my top 10 of my favorite CBM's well

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
Victarion
Cut

I still think Sam should've been more mature and cut what wouldn't work to create a better film. That silly Sandman retcon is harder for me to get past than the dissonance between the 3 villains' plots. So I don't believe that we're too harsh on SM3.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I know Rami was forced to include Venom but why do people blame it 100% on Sony? I mean Joss was forced to include Black Widow in The Avengers but it's generally considered a great film. I think Rami should take most of the stick for SM3 as he gets praise for SM2. Not a Rami hate in fact and SM2 is on my top 10 of my favorite CBM's well
You really believe Joss Whedon wouldn't include Black Widow if the studio didn't tell him to? lol

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Anno_Domini
Banned User

What? Whedon was forced to use Black Widow? I thought Whedon in fact wanted to give Black Widow more screen time since he's so well at writing strong female characters?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

AMC Movie Talk did an interview with him and he mentioned it. It was brought up again in the video "Who's to blame for SM3?"

Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
What? Whedon was forced to use Black Widow? I thought Whedon in fact wanted to give Black Widow more screen time since he's so well at writing strong female characters?
Got it slightly wrong, Whedon wanted to include wasp but Disney said no, they wanted Black Widow

Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Oh, well I knew he wanted Wasp in it.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #35
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I've posted this before,but I don't think it's a bad movie at all. In fact,it has flaws but I do like it. I think there's a major difference between it being "bad," and it being a disappointment. Many people were let down by it,but that's only because expectation were so high. It doesn't mean it was a bad movie though,at least not to me.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #36
Anno_Domini
Banned User

You're right...people expected Peter Parker to not act like a goof when he had the symbiote

Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #37
sontin
Side-Kick

Even 6 years after the release people do not get it that he is an egocentric jerk with the symbiote like he was in the animated serie.

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #38
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
You're right...people expected Peter Parker to not act like a goof when he had the symbiote
Well in the 90's animated series he acted like a bad ass. Remember the scene with Flash and Felicia?

- The Joker
Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
Ipodman
Love Tension

If you grade it on the all-time superhero movie curve, Spider-Man 3 is definitely above average. I don't think this movie will get appreciated more over time like some kind of Blade Runner tho...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #40
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
If you grade it on the all-time superhero movie curve, Spider-Man 3 is definitely above average. I don't think this movie will get appreciated more over time like some kind of Blade Runner tho...
Are you... comparing those movies? The only thing that was above average in SM3 was the level of dumbness.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well in the 90's animated series he acted like a bad ass. Remember the scene with Flash and Felicia?
Exactly. And even if Peter might have stood up to Eddie at the Daily Bugle, everyone forgets about it because as soon as that part is over, we see Peter humping the air while walking down the street

Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #42
Dagenspear
Banned User

Quote:
You act like being a goof is something egocentric douchebags don't do. It was perfectly in-character for Peter to do that. The suit enhanced all his worst qualities. Ego is one of them. And part of being egotistical is thinking you look cool when you just look like a fool (Hey, that rhymes!).

Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Dagenspear
Banned User

Double post.

Last edited by Dagenspear; 06-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
Dagenspear
Banned User

Quote:
Exactly. And even if Peter might have stood up to Eddie at the Daily Bugle, everyone forgets about it because as soon as that part is over, we see Peter humping the air while walking down the street
And then Peter goes beating up people in a bar and hitting a woman. Which is legitimately scary. What's your problem again?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
You act like being a goof is something egocentric douchebags don't do. It was perfectly in-character for Peter to do that. The suit enhanced all his worst qualities. Ego is one of them. And part of being egotistical is thinking you look cool when you just look like a fool (Hey, that rhymes!).
Because it's not. A douchebag would act like a douchebag...I rarely see someone like Kanye West humping the air whenever he walks down the street.

Quote:
And then Peter goes beating up people in a bar and hitting a woman. Which is legitimately scary. What your problem again.
I'll take this as a statement.

Quote:
And then Peter goes beating up people in a bar and hitting a woman. Which is legitimately scary. What's your problem again?
And this as a question.

My "problem" is he's not scary for half the time he has the symbiote. He should be scary all the time. The two cartoons that come to mind when the symbiote is used, and it makes Peter scary as hell the entire time(you read that right, cartoons for KIDS). Even a "geeky" Peter in the comics becomes this overly aggressive person that doesn't strut around, humping the air.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #46
sontin
Side-Kick

Quote:
My "problem" is he's not scary for half the time he has the symbiote. He should be scary all the time.
He was scary the whole time with the symbiote.

Quote:
The two cartoons that come to mind when the symbiote is used, and it makes Peter scary as hell the entire time(you read that right, cartoons for KIDS).
Lol, yeah. Scary. I forget that this is so scary to children and adults:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5FW...tailpage#t=65s

Quote:
Even a "geeky" Peter in the comics becomes this overly aggressive person that doesn't strut around, humping the air.
And Peter in SM3 was not? Really it's one thing to hate a movie but another to lie about it...

Last edited by sontin; 06-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #47
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post

Quote:
Lol, yeah. Scary. I forget that this is so scary to children and adults:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5FW...tailpage#t=65s
Yes it was. He stood up to Flash and scared Felicia. As for the NOD to Aerosmith...nothing wrong with that. At least it wasn't a nod to the emo culture.

Quote:
And Peter in SM3 was not? Really it's one thing to hate a movie but another to lie about it...
Humping the air tells me no. Usually when Peter is overly aggressive because of the symbiote, as we see in other forms of media, he STAYS in an overly aggressive mood.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #48
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post

- The Joker
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #49
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Remember when Peter was asking Ursula (his neighbor) to feed him cookies and milk? And that he was pretending to fall asleep when talking to Dr. Connors? Whoa, I was trembling on the edge of my seat. That gave me nightmares for a year. Scary stuff.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
sontin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Cool, one shoot from the movie. I guess there was no other with him under the influence in it.

Quote:
Yes it was. He stood up to Flash and scared Felicia. As for the NOD to Aerosmith...nothing wrong with that. At least it wasn't a nod to the emo culture.
Damn, why had Raimi did not put something like this in this movie. You know like let Peter stand up to Brock or Jonah. And using Gwen to make MJ jealous. Start fights with other people.
At least there was a nod to these music culture - emo stuff and so.

Quote:
Humping the air tells me no. Usually when Peter is overly aggressive because of the symbiote, as we see in other forms of media, he STAYS in an overly aggressive mood.
"Usually"? You mean like the 15 minutes in these cartoons?
And he was always in "an overly aggressive mood" while wearing the costume. But to know that you need to watch the movie at least...